Electric Cars Spotted

General car gossip.

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:55 pm

S1K wrote:You can't deny that not having to buy hoover bags has been a change on a par with the discovery of the internal combustion engine or the invention of penicillin though Dis. Don't you even remember the nightmarish world of hoover bags?

Maybe before the internet was invented but now they are just a click away.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:08 pm

You don't need bags for eg. Numatic or Vax machines either and they were around a long time before Dyson.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Pigeon wrote:You don't need bags for eg. Numatic or Vax machines either and they were around a long time before Dyson.

Standard Numatics (Henry etc) need bags. Only the wet and dry models don't.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:56 am

thekungfury wrote:He’s a royal prick and his toxic way of doing business runs right through the company. Never dealt with such an arrogant bunch of arseholes who appear to have a standing order of “shaft your supplier”.

I met one of their senior project managers the week before Christmas and he actually said that they could squeeze their suppliers because everyone wanted the cachet of working as a supply partner for the great man! There was almost an evangelical fervour about him, it wasn't good.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by span @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:35 am

Hm, I really love our Dyson but hate the man. And the customer service has been excellent, although for the price I think you should have a thousand year guarantee. It's just SO good for pet hair.
span

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:50 am

span wrote:Hm, I really love our Dyson but hate the man. And the customer service has been excellent, although for the price I think you should have a thousand year guarantee. It's just SO good for pet hair.

We killed 2 of their purple pet eaters before deciding never to buy Dyson again. Probs didn't help that we had a very hairy hound!
HappyGoLucky

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 am

Switching to a cordless Dyson has revolutionised cleaning in our house. It now gets done as and when it needs to, as opposed to 'I'll do it when I have time to clear the entire house', which was never often enough. The kids will even pick it up and use it.

It's the only time I dared to overrride Mrs CW with appliance choice, but she reluctantly admits it's the dogs danglies.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:58 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:Switching to a cordless Dyson has revolutionised cleaning in our house. It now gets done as and when it needs to, as opposed to 'I'll do it when I have time to clear the entire house', which was never often enough. The kids will even pick it up and use it.

It's the only time I dared to overrride Mrs CW with appliance choice, but she reluctantly admits it's the dogs danglies.

Yes, we've got one too and it's very good, I'd never buy another though because Dyson = Cnut

(We bought it before that came to light)
Deuteronomy

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:19 pm

Had a Dyson, was underwhelmed. Now got a Miele cat + dog, and wouldn't go back to a cuntvac.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by minimoog @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:31 pm

thekungfury wrote:He’s a royal prick

I got that simply from his charging £300 for a hairdryer.

My old DC07 is still going strong, but I'll never buy another product from that Brexit cnut.
minimoog

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:31 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:
thekungfury wrote:He’s a royal prick and his toxic way of doing business runs right through the company. Never dealt with such an arrogant bunch of arseholes who appear to have a standing order of “shaft your supplier”.

I met one of their senior project managers the week before Christmas and he actually said that they could squeeze their suppliers because everyone wanted the cachet of working as a supply partner for the great man! There was almost an evangelical fervour about him, it wasn't good.

Sounds familiar
thekungfury

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:57 am

thekungfury wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

Sounds familiar

I'm torn because there's a potentially a shit ton of work for my company bringing that plant online which would directly impact when I can stop doing this shit, return to France to enjoy a simpler and more fulfilling life. But knowing it's a couple of years of dealing with people like that is nearly enough to make me say fuckit and pursue other work. I've some meetings with them when I get back from Sir Lanka and will decide then.
HappyGoLucky

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:25 am

After months of discussions with low/mid-level people we finally got to put our tender to senior team. You could tell the culture was to beat you in the deal so you’d know to go in high and let them negotiate you down and “win”. The final meeting though was something else.

No pleasantries, just sat down and said “If you want the opportunity to achieve business with us you must agree to this, this, this and this”. Stuff like unrealistic credit terms, stock holding well beyond norms and all risk on us. e.g. if they dropped a colour from the range the special sparkly purple raw material we held for them was our problem.

When you tried to discuss the finer points they’d cut you off with phrases like “Forget what you know or what you think you know, you’re in Dyson now” or “You appear to think this is a negotiation. I can assure you you’re very much mistaken”. All hard nosed but with Wiltshire accents which made it funny.

I really wanted to remind them that they were making fcuking vacuum cleaners. Arrogant pricks. Actually it would haven better to say they were making fcuking Hoovers.

Anyway we left the meeting, got in the car and drove off in stunned silence for a couple of miles. My boss, who rarely swore, finally said “Fcuking arseholes!” and we never bothered following it up. 18mths later they moved production to Malaysia and there were loads of stories about local suppliers being screwed in the process with some going bust.

Your results may vary because this was almost 2 decades ago however the culture is clearly from the top down and Dyson seemed to surround himself with aresholes like him so I’d be surprised if it’s much different today.
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:28 am

thekungfury wrote:When you tried to discuss the finer points they’d cut you off with phrases like “Forget what you know or what you think you know, you’re in Dyson now” or “You appear to think this is a negotiation. I can assure you you’re very much mistaken”. All hard nosed but with Wiltshire accents which made it funny.

I really wanted to remind them that they were making fcuking vacuum cleaners. Arrogant pricks. Actually it would haven better to say they were making fcuking Hoovers.

Laugh. What a complete bunch of cnuts. I really hope they go bust soon.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minimoog @ Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 pm

This looks deeply impressive

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMfxJEfb4lw
minimoog

Post by Pigeon @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 am

thekungfury wrote:When you tried to discuss the finer points they'd cut you off with phrases like "Forget what you know or what you think you know, you're in Dyson now" or "You appear to think this is a negotiation. I can assure you you're very much mistaken". All hard nosed but with Wiltshire accents which made it funny.

It's funny enough even without the accents, just the idea of them saying things like that and expecting to be taken seriously. I can't see myself lasting very long before I started saying things like "Well I didn't vote for you" and cracking up.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:00 am

Do they have a factory shop?

Tempting to visit
"I'd like that one, I'll pay £10"
But the price is £160"
You appear to think this is a negotiation, I can assure you its not
<slaps down £10>
<picks up desired cleaner and walks out>
Dirk

Post by stuart @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:26 am

minimoog wrote:This looks deeply impressive

Does look impressive, but also ugly!

That front end is atrocious.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by minimoog @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

stuart wrote:That front end is atrocious.

I like it. It's very sci-fi and as the chap said, instantly recognisable.
minimoog

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 am

Gopping, inspired by the Reliant Robin/Rialto ?

Strawman

Post by minimoog @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:12 am

Yes it's exactly like one of those.
minimoog

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

minimoog wrote:as the chap said, instantly recognisable.

John Merrick says that’s not necessarily a good thing
thekungfury

Post by minimoog @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 am

thekungfury wrote:
minimoog wrote:as the chap said, instantly recognisable.

John Merrick says that’s not necessarily a good thing

As does your mirror.
minimoog

Post by S1K @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 am

It does seem to be very impressive and must have cost them a fortune to get to the point that they're at. It makes me wonder how on earth they expect to make money. Google says they've raised about half a billion dollars in funding and they'll need to sell a lot of cars to get that back.
S1K

Post by minimoog @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:44 pm

S1K wrote:It does seem to be very impressive and must have cost them a fortune to get to the point that they're at. It makes me wonder how on earth they expect to make money. Google says they've raised about half a billion dollars in funding and they'll need to sell a lot of cars to get that back.

The status ute segment in the US is massive, never mind the RoW. Combine this with EV being the industry direction of travel and they could, eventually, be quids in if they get it right. There's also a reasonable chance one of the big players might buy them out and run with their ball.
minimoog

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Half a billion is a normal sort of amount to develop a new car, AFAIK, and that is from big manufacturers who are building on from the previous model.
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm

And now it’s “shaft the country you persuaded to shoot itself in the penis”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -singapore

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt
thekungfury

Post by span @ Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:10 am

thekungfury wrote:

And now it’s “shaft the country you persuaded to shoot itself in the penis”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -singapore

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunt

My Brexit hoover is playing up AGAIN now, and I feel so furious with it, and them, and me for buying their stupid thing, however amazing the suction may be, even cord-free, which is admittedly remarkable.
span

Post by stuart @ Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Tesla - All our patents belong to you

Musk retweeted this again yesterday.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:49 pm

stuart wrote:Tesla - All our patents belong to you

Musk retweeted this again yesterday.

Weird chap he may be, but I like his attitude of getting stuff done and I really do think he'll win out in the end with the whole electric vehicle movement - not in car production which will surely be taken over by the main players, but in infrastructure and battery manufacturing.
Careless Whisperer

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat