Electric Cars Spotted

General car gossip.

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Looks nice - is that a sort of burgundy colour?
Glad to hear you like it, I'm interested to hear a long term review eventually.

thekungfury wrote:That only matters on long journeys though as 10x30m trips will only use 100m of fuel, yagetme?

Only if the 30m trip starts and ends at a charging point with time to fully recharge (how long does that take btw?) each time. If your commute is 30 miles then sweet (as I assume you plug in when there) but for most other uses, you'd be only getting 20m benefit one way and then using just petrol on the return.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm

It's just black. I guess the phone made it look odd.

You're right on the charging points and that's exactly what I have. I charge at home and at the office. Office charging point is a public unit a bit more expensive than at home (+30%) plus there will be days I can't use it if other selfish cnuts park up and block it. You're only meant to be there a maximum of 3hrs but sometimes it gets hogged all day.

Charging time depends on the type of charger. It came with a 3-pin cable and I'm using that at home whilst I wait for the free* home unit to be installed. 3-pin takes ~5hrs. Home pod unit will be ~3hrs.

Public charging time it depends on the type. The slowest will be 5hrs, quickest in half an hour. Most seem to be 3hr units.

* currently there is a government grant of £500 to install a home charger. So it's not free, you're paying for it. Thanks.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:31 pm

thekungfury wrote:* currently there is a government grant of £500 to install a home charger. So it's not free, you're paying for it. Thanks.

You are indirectly too, I don't mind though, the air quality in parts of London (and other big cities) is damaging people's health, while I continue to emit carbons in my old tech car, electric cars appear to be only the only short term solution so subsidies make sense.
Strawman

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:39 pm

thekungfury wrote:* currently there is a government grant of £500 to install a home charger. So it's not free, you're paying for it. Thanks.

No worries, it's your money used to pay me to pay you. So you are paying for it, after I've dirtied the money first.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Strawman wrote:

You are indirectly too, I don't mind though, the air quality in parts of London (and other big cities) is damaging people's health, while I continue to emit carbons in my old tech car, electric cars appear to be only the only short term solution so subsidies make sense.

I'm also sold on the idea of being less reliant oil from brutal Middle Eastern regimes. I live in hope that one day we'll be able to say "No, we will not sell you huge amounts of armsso that we can have access to your oil"

But mainly I like it for silent swooshing
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Strawman wrote:

I'm also sold on the idea of being less reliant oil from brutal Middle Eastern regimes. I live in hope that one day we'll be able to say "No, we will not sell you huge amounts of armsso that we can have access to your oil"

But mainly I like it for silent swooshing

Lovely idea but you forget that plastic comes from oil. I think.

So. No condoms. Result- thousands of Rod Rammages* everywhere.

*From now on I am going to refer to Rod as if he's still on here and maybe by the power of beetlejuice, if we say it enough, he'll come back.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Strawman @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Il Duce wrote:So. No condoms.

Condoms are mainly made from rubber, AFAIK, hence being called rubbers, or party balloons etc.

Also also, the amount of oil the plastics industry needs could be met by producers outside of shitbag dictators in Saudi Arabia et al.
Strawman

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:58 pm

thekungfury wrote:I'm also sold on the idea of being less reliant oil from brutal Middle Eastern regimes. I live in hope that one day we'll be able to say "No, we will not sell you huge amounts of armsso that we can have access to your oil"

:thumbup:

Of course, that has been a reason for getting off fossil fuels that was still compelling back when "climate change" meant the imminent onset of the next ice age. And still is, and deserves rather more notice than it gets. After all, CO2 is something you can argue about until the cows come home, but the answer to "are the Saudis cnuts?" is easy, just ask Yemen.

Of course also, though, the arms dealers won't agree with either of them. So it's all Dirk's fault really.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Dirk @ Sat May 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Remember this?

Dirk wrote:
Dirk wrote:I see Musk has apologised to the cave diver.

Not sure if the diver will insist he puts a cherry on top to stop him going to court

Nope, instead Musk has repeated the attack, but more strongly

Elon Musk has again attacked a British diver he has previously accused without evidence of being a child abuser.

In an email to a reporter, Mr Musk said Vernon Unsworth - who assisted with the rescue of 12 Thai teenagers from a flooded cave - was a "child rapist".

In July he deleted the tweets but last week he appeared to repeat his allegation, tweeting that it was "strange he hasn't sued me" after Mr Unsworth said he was considering legal action.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45418245

Musk'w lawyers tried to claim it was all heat of the moment stuff protected by first amendment

LA judge has told them, legally speaking, that they are talking bollocks and Musk has to go to court

Date set is 22 Oct
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by S1K @ Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Fingers crossed for the death penalty
S1K

Previous

Return to Car Chat