Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:42 am

Turntable wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:You aren’t a real petrolhead unless you’ve owned an Alfa.

The truth is Alfa are far better at making good looking cars than good drivers cars.

I disagree. Most of them are crap cars.
Just because Clarkson said that once, it doesn't make it some kind of real-world 'rule'
In my opinion all Alfa do is make slightly crapper versions of competitor models.

Have to agree. Anything that JC says about cars, the opposite is true.
I had an Alfa Sud. It was shit compared to a GTI
I drove my mates Brera. It was 3.0l but slow and shit. Compared to anything.
I hired a Stelvio. It was massively shit compared to an XC40
My mate has the 500bhp Giulia. It is shit compared to an M5.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:49 am

Il Duce wrote:
Turntable wrote:

The truth is Alfa are far better at making good looking cars than good drivers cars.

Just because Clarkson said that once, it doesn't make it some kind of real-world 'rule'
In my opinion all Alfa do is make slightly crapper versions of competitor models.

Everyone knows it's really Lancias that true petrol heads should own.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:51 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Turntable wrote:

Everyone knows it's really Lancias that true petrol heads should own.

True.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by S1K @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:25 am

Is your mate with the Quadrifoglio called Mario by any chance ID?
Last edited by S1K on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:41 am

S1K wrote:Is your mate with the Quadrifoglio called Mario by any chance ID?

Yes but he's a mate of a mate. Fortunately.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by S1K @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am

Il Duce wrote:
S1K wrote:Is your mate with the Quadrifoglio called Mario by any chance ID?

Yes but he's a mate of a mate. Fortunately.

I remember when his Impreza P1 was written off by a hail storm when he drove it to Italy to show it to his family.
S1K

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 am

I'd argue that Lotus is probably the car make that marks you as a petrol head. Certainly far more than Alfa. I could also make arguments for TVR.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:12 am

Agreed MFD.
About 4 times during my car buying adulthood I have looked into buying a Lotus, its just every time I get in on, I am reminded quite how basic and awful they are.
Brilliant things to drive quickly but for the 95% of time you aren't on a track or on the back roads on a quiet day they are very awful
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:40 am

Turntable wrote:Agreed MFD.
About 4 times during my car buying adulthood I have looked into buying a Lotus, its just every time I get in on, I am reminded quite how basic and awful they are.
Brilliant things to drive quickly but for the 95% of time you aren't on a track or on the back roads on a quiet day they are very awful

I remember driving my Elise in a torrential rain storm in south Wales. It was aquaplaning all over the road, the wind was blowing it everywhere it wasn't already aquaplaning into, the windscreen refused to clear, and the lorries thundering by (I couldn't safely go above 50mph) looked like mobile tower blocks. I sold it soon afterwards.

Still, compared to my Caterham, it felt like the safest place on earth.
ttwiggy

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:36 pm

I had an Esprit when younger. Loved it.

Don't think I'd buy any of the current range now though
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by S1K @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:47 pm

An early Esprit would be fantastic.

It would need to be a total rebuild though with brand new wiring, galvanized chassis, better quality retrimmed interior, aluminium radiator, new suspension and bushing and everything otherwise you just know for certain that it would leave you stranded whenever it was used and piss you off.
S1K

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:39 pm

They go for good money as it is without all the upgrades you specify.
Strawman

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:13 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Turntable wrote:Agreed MFD.

I remember driving my Elise in a torrential rain storm in south Wales. It was aquaplaning all over the road, the wind was blowing it everywhere it wasn't already aquaplaning into, the windscreen refused to clear, and the lorries thundering by (I couldn't safely go above 50mph) looked like mobile tower blocks. I sold it soon afterwards.

Still, compared to my Caterham, it felt like the safest place on earth.

A mate of mine once hired an Elise which we paired with his S2000 for a trip to the Brecon Beacons. The Elise was a base model (111s?) and even so was fcuking unreal there. Really really in its element. Like a limpet and a rocket all at the same time. The S2000 was by comparison a noisy handful that even working hard couldn't keep up.

Driving the Elise in London traffic was a royal PITA though. And getting in and out of it was, well, a younger man's game to be honest.
Greg66

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Greg66 wrote:...getting in and out of it was, well, a younger man's game to be honest.

I recall seeing the Elise for the first time at the Motor Show (Think it was Earls Court in '96... not sure), and banging my knee on the roof trying to get in. Even as a skinny, supple 18 year old, it was a younger mansboys game - probably about right for a 12 year old...
Careless Whisperer

Post by S1K @ Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:29 pm

I sat in a Caterham at the Motor Show and remember being amazed at just how snug it was. I suppose that was to be expected. What was more surprising was that there was barely any more room to move in an Aston Martin DB7. It must be a strong contender for the biggest car outside for the smallest space inside award.
S1K

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Il Duce wrote:My mate has the 500bhp Giulia. It is shit compared to an M5.

This is disappointing as I quite fancy getting one, why doesn't he/you like it?

(Also, isn't it more of an M3 rival than M5?)

ETA from the pictures the interior seems a little meh - not horrible, but not great either.
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:

ETA from the pictures the interior seems a little meh - not horrible, but not great either.

Lots of stupid little things going wrong. Windows going up and down at will, alarm going off.. etc.
I have no more details as I heard it from a friend because I can't bear to talk to the fool.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Lots of stupid little things going wrong. Windows going up and down at will, alarm going off.. etc.
I have no more details as I heard it from a friend because I can't bear to talk to the fool.

Being an Alfa I'm confident the prices will plummet when they hit the 2 year old point.
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Being an Alfa I'm confident the prices will plummet when they hit the 2 year old point.

looking at Autotrader it appears they lose 20k just in the first year. 66k to 46k

So year 3 they should be 6k which is about as much as I'd pay for one.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:16 am

I'm currently obsessing over very early Porsche Boxsters (the 2.5 version). I don't know whether I want a silver one with red leather (which was the prototype colour scheme) or a speed yellow one.
ttwiggy

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:17 am

ttwiggy wrote:I'm currently obsessing over very early Porsche Boxsters (the 2.5 version). I don't know whether I want a silver one with red leather (which was the prototype colour scheme) or a speed yellow one.

A quick look in your pants should decide that for you.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:21 am

Il Duce wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:I'm currently obsessing over very early Porsche Boxsters (the 2.5 version). I don't know whether I want a silver one with red leather (which was the prototype colour scheme) or a speed yellow one.

A quick look in your pants should decide that for you.

Stuart thinks I'm an elderly lady, so I'm nervous about taking a look.
ttwiggy

Post by S1K @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 am

The prototype was cool.

It might be good to build a car to as close as that as you can.
S1K

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:34 am

Yeah, the prototype was lovely – a modern 550 Spyder. I think that trying to recreate it would be rather costly though! Moving the side vents could be 'challenging'. Luckily, silver was a very popular colour choice and quite a few were specced with red leather.
ttwiggy

Post by S1K @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:39 am

Maybe just spray some wheels the right colour and give the front grille the same sort of treatment then.
S1K

Post by Baby Huey @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:52 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:
Greg66 wrote:...getting in and out of it was, well, a younger man's game to be honest.

I recall seeing the Elise for the first time at the Motor Show (Think it was Earls Court in '96... not sure), and banging my knee on the roof trying to get in. Even as a skinny, supple 18 year old, it was a younger mansboys game - probably about right for a 12 year old...

I like the MK3 MR2. We’re on second one. Nice and easy to get in and out and a reasonable amount of space inside. Not super fast but 0-60 of just over 7 seconds is good enough for me. No rock hard ride, 35ish to the gallon. The hood is a doddle to operate.
Baby Huey

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:43 am

Baby Huey wrote:

I like the MK3 MR2. We’re on second one. Nice and easy to get in and out and a reasonable amount of space inside. Not super fast but 0-60 of just over 7 seconds is good enough for me. No rock hard ride, 35ish to the gallon. The hood is a doddle to operate.

We had a Mk2 MR2 which was a brilliant every day sport(y) car. Fun, fast enough and enough luggage space to go away for a weekend and you could even do the funky thing of putting a holdall in the front just because. We nearly bought a Mk3 but couldn't get past the fact that you can't carry more than a lunchbox with you. Madness.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Baby Huey @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:51 am

Baby Huey wrote:

We had a Mk2 MR2 which was a brilliant every day sport(y) car. Fun, fast enough and enough luggage space to go away for a weekend and you could even do the funky thing of putting a holdall in the front just because. We nearly bought a Mk3 but couldn't get past the fact that you can't carry more than a lunchbox with you. Madness.

A couple of reasonable size storage boxes behind the seats and room in the front if you remove the spare wheel.
Baby Huey

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 am

The Boxster is cavenous (for a open top two seater). All the luggage space up front that a 911 has plus a good size boot at the rear.
ttwiggy

Post by S1K @ Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:24 pm

In Germany you can drive a car at 16 as long as the engine makes no more than 20 bhp and as long as it has only three wheels. Through a quirk in the law two wheels are regarded as one wheel so long as they are less than 30 centimetres apart. As a result there are companies who will detune your engine and fit a replacement rear axle and suspension so your car looks like this -

S1K

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat