Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Image

Image

Image

cnuts.

Only car parked in a hotel car park overnight, yet this still happens. Hotel are checking their CCTV but I don't hold out any hope of anything happening other than this going through my own insurance.

A local independent bodyshop I trust has just quoted £2.5k to repair - needs a new door according to them. Next stop will be a Jaguar dealer to get their opinion.

fcuking livid.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15150
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm

No way anyone bumped that without noticing. Unless they were blind drunk.
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 7315
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Hotel are checking their CCTV but I don't hold out any hope of anything happening other than this going through my own insurance.

Have more faith, modern CCTV is pretty good and if their camera covers the carpark, they'll have the footage. If the cameras were not turned on then they have some explaining to do to you as they've not provided the service paid for.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49049
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:19 pm

tanglerat wrote:No way anyone bumped that without noticing. Unless they were blind drunk.

Absolutely. I think it's too high to be another car, also no traces of paint from another vehicle, so I was wondering if it's been kicked? The bodyshop say it couldn't have been kicked as it's bent the side impact bar (not sure how they can determine this from an external inspection), so they suggest a van perhaps.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15150
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:Hotel are checking their CCTV but I don't hold out any hope of anything happening other than this going through my own insurance.

Have more faith, modern CCTV is pretty good and if their camera covers the carpark, they'll have the footage. If the cameras were not turned on then they have some explaining to do to you as they've not provided the service paid for.


Thanks. The cameras were definitely on as the manager showed me the different angles they cover from her phone app connected to them. The angle which shows my car will show that a vehicle/someone was next to my car but is too far away to show any detail, however we were the only guests at the hotel then nobody else should have been in the car park at all. There is also another camera on the gate which should be able to identify a reg number.

Fingers crossed.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15150
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Fingers crossed for you, if not it's just an insurance job and probably won't make as much difference to your premium as you'd think given your age and presumably NCB.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49049
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:33 pm

In other car news, I had a similar incident last week on returning to my car from holiday. Luckily the guy who did it gave his details to the parking people at the airport and so it's all been sorted on his insurance. During the repair I was given a Merc C220 estate and despite always thinking of Mercs as old man cars, this one was lovely inside, to drive and had a lot of nice touches.

The roads round here are pretty awful and the ride was loads better so the first thing I did on getting my car back today was swapping all 4 runflats for normal Goodyears and it's made a fairly significant difference which is pleasing as the car's clean too so it feels a bit like a new car. For £500, I've saved £20k.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49049
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:37 pm

I'm furious on your behalf CW, so annoying!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17019
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:27 pm

On the plus side, 6 inches to the right and it might have been two new doors. I hope they catch the bastard though.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by deev @ Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:26 pm

The smashed door, while annoying,does at least draw ones attention away from the mess of a c pillar those things have.
User avatar
deev
Banger King
 
Posts: 14803
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:14 pm
Location: Giffnock
Highscores: 3

Re: Some words - cars

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:For £500, I've saved £20k.

Good math

It’s nice winning £19.5k. What are you going to spend it on?
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35080
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:30 am

I've seen a couple of those Bentley 4x4s recently, they are so ugly it's just not true.

Yet the people driving he seem completely oblivious to this fact.

This is from the Bentley website, so you know it's the very best they could make it look:

Image

Granted, at 4 seconds to 60 it's hellish quick, but even so...
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17019
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Strawman @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:32 am

Nice use of sun flare to try and hide the car.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39556
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some words - cars

Post by minimoog @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:21 am

Strawman wrote:Nice use of sun flare to try and hide the car.


Astonishing really that they appear not to have considered making a car that they didn't have to try and hide.

CW I too am furious on your behalf, having been the victim of numerous hit-and-run-while-unattended over the years and getting reamed by my insurance as a result. Hope it works out ok.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9554
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Someone’s just done the same to the Saab, albeit just a massive scratch not a dent. No cctv either grrr.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37065
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:I've seen a couple of those Bentley 4x4s recently, they are so ugly it's just not true.

Yet the people driving he seem completely oblivious to this fact.

When it was released I assumed it was just for the money>taste ME and FE markets. It looked perfect for them and didn’t expect to see any/many here.

The Conti GT however I think still looks good for a 15yr old car.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35080
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:04 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:For £500, I've saved £20k.

Good math

It’s nice winning £19.5k. What are you going to spend it on?


Hmmm, wouldn’t mind a nice new car.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49049
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Dirk @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:For £500, I've saved £20k.

Good math

It’s nice winning £19.5k. What are you going to spend it on?


Hmmm, wouldn’t mind a nice new car.

With £19.5k?

Seems a stretch.

Sure we could find something else that you would appreciate for that money though. Feels like a new thread to me
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30360
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Dirk wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:For £500, I've saved £20k.

Good math

It’s nice winning £19.5k. What are you going to spend it on?


Hmmm, wouldn’t mind a nice new car.

With £19.5k?

Seems a stretch.

Sure we could find something else that you would appreciate for that money though. Feels like a new thread to me

Actually there is something I’m saving for that’s too secret to say. More when it/if it happens.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49049
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Strawman @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Is it a spaceship? I don't think that is enough for a craft that can achieve low earth orbit successfully.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39556
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Some words - cars

Post by S1K @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:17 pm

You might be able to afford one monthly payment on a Rolls Royce Cullinan with your £19.5K

Image
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Actually there is something I’m saving for that’s too secret to say. More when it/if it happens.


'Oooh!...Oooh! Is it a boat?'
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Dirk @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:58 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Actually there is something I’m saving for that’s too secret to say. More when it/if it happens.


'Oooh!...Oooh! Is it a boat?'

That was my bet too

Still think we ought to have a thread to tell him what to spend it on though
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30360
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Dirk wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Actually there is something I’m saving for that’s too secret to say. More when it/if it happens.


'Oooh!...Oooh! Is it a boat?'

That was my bet too

Still think we ought to have a thread to tell him what to spend it on though


'Not a boat' /thread.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:25 pm

deev wrote:The smashed door, while annoying,does at least draw ones attention away from the mess of a c pillar those things have.

The C pillars are designed that way to draw your attention away from the bootlid which is always moving out of alignment.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15150
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:54 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Dirk wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Actually there is something I’m saving for that’s too secret to say. More when it/if it happens.


'Oooh!...Oooh! Is it a boat?'

That was my bet too

Still think we ought to have a thread to tell him what to spend it on though


'Not a boat' /thread.

Not a boat but possibly boatish tenuously. I’ve said too much!
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49049
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:57 pm

A hovercraft?
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 23974
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:58 pm

S1K wrote:You might be able to afford one monthly payment on a Rolls Royce Cullinan with your £19.5K

Image


Is that Chinese?
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 23974
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Some words - cars

Post by minimoog @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Not a boat but possibly boatish tenuously. I’ve said too much!


Jetski then.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9554
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by S1K @ Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Has to be a submarine.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6219
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles