Some words - cars

General car gossip.

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:The RS6’s get the fcuk out of my way stance is arousing.


This is why you're one of the good ones Teeks.


It'd look superb, clearly CW and Twigs would prefer something far blander, perhaps in a bland colour driving to a bland town to see a bland band banned from anywhere interesting.

Image
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:06 pm

It's not about being bland. It's about subtlety. I don't know why any car with a modicum of get up and go these days has to look like it plans to tear your head off and then do unmentionable things to your windpipe.

Actually, I think I do know. Car trends reflect society, and society is increasingly split between the haves and have-nots and aggression is rife.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:08 pm

ttwiggy wrote:Car trends reflect society, and society is increasingly split between the haves and have-nots and aggression is rife.


Oh please, don't politicise car design, it's a bit of a stretch.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:25 pm

The back of that thing is fcuking ugly.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Aesgarth wrote:The back of that thing is fcuking ugly.


I'm not completely sold on the silver bar thing, but I understand that it can be configured in carbon.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by S1K @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:58 pm

I saw one of these earlier

Image
Image

I don’t know what the sales figures are but it felt like a rarer spot than the Lamborghini Huracan I saw at lunch time.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7166
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:Car trends reflect society, and society is increasingly split between the haves and have-nots and aggression is rife.


Oh please, don't politicise car design, it's a bit of a stretch.


Maybe, but nothing (especially not design) exists in a vacuum and there must be some rationale behind this trend.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:01 pm

There's one of those big Peugeots parked where I work (press car). It's in black and looks lovely in the flesh (must be the lack of aggression in the design :)).
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 pm

ttwiggy wrote:It's not about being bland. It's about subtlety. I don't know why any car with a modicum of get up and go these days has to look like it plans to tear your head off and then do unmentionable things to your windpipe.

Actually, I think I do know. Car trends reflect society, and society is increasingly split between the haves and have-nots and aggression is rife.

This. In bucket loads.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15660
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:Car trends reflect society, and society is increasingly split between the haves and have-nots and aggression is rife.


Oh please, don't politicise car design, it's a bit of a stretch.

It's not at all. Car design most definitely does reflect society and is politicised by the accurate stereotypes of cars used by heads of state, crime bosses, the Pope etc.

Go to a car design degree show where a student is displaying a design for one of those and you already know what it will look like. The aggressive look of cars today is everything to do with the fast pace of life, selfishness/self-importance and the need to be one-up on everyone else.
Last edited by Careless Whisperer on Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Careless Whisperer
 
Posts: 15660
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Location: The Real World
Highscores: 5

Re: Some words - cars

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:28 pm

No other decade had aggressive looking cars and other than right now society has never been divided by those who have and have not.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36435
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by mervynp @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:02 pm

stuart wrote:The new Porsche electric car (Taycan or something ?) looks great.

It looks like an actual Porsche, rather than a weird electric ar.

0-60 in less than 3 seconds and reusable performance too apparently.

Odd though that they have called it Taycan Turbo and Taycan Turbo S.

But if i was rich I'd love one!


indeed - and here is one doing a run up the flight deck of the USS Hornet where, coincidentally, I'm going for a beer festival on Saturday:

https://youtu.be/PAX74HkmvHU
mervynp
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:11 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:21 pm

S1K wrote:I saw one of these earlier

Image
Image

I don’t know what the sales figures are but it felt like a rarer spot than the Lamborghini Huracan I saw at lunch time.



I love these.

And I think they do look quite aggressive. Which is a massive fcuking bonus, unless you’re an absolute whimpering girly man.

Love that Audi. It’d be smashing to belt up the autobahn at 800mph in that, listening to Wagner at full chat, flashing your lights at some cnut in a Transporter dawdling in the fast lane inches from his bumper!
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39509
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:20 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:The aggressive look of cars today is everything to do with the fast pace of life, selfishness/self-importance and the need to be one-up on everyone else.


Really? Really?

What a load of nonsense, check yourselves!

It's not just that they look fcuking cool when designed like that (yes it is)

My ten year old self would love that RS6 and I still do now - you need to put yourself into a ten year old you two, honestly, what a fuss!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:49 am

Deuteronomy wrote:you need to put yourself into a ten year old you two, honestly, what a fuss!

Never had you down as a bit Yew Tree, doots.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16842
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by S1K @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:52 am

CJ+ wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:you need to put yourself into a ten year old you two, honestly, what a fuss!

Never had you down as a bit Yew Tree, doots.

No kink-shaming please CJ+
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7166
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:58 am

CJ+ wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:you need to put yourself into a ten year old you two, honestly, what a fuss!

Never had you down as a bit Yew Tree, doots.


That made me laugh far too much.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3690
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 am

CJ+ wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:you need to put yourself into a ten year old you two, honestly, what a fuss!

Never had you down as a bit Yew Tree, doots.


That was the joke you ninny!

(actually stolen from League of Gentlemen)
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:21 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
CJ+ wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:you need to put yourself into a ten year old you two, honestly, what a fuss!

Never had you down as a bit Yew Tree, doots.


That was the joke you ninny!

(actually stolen from League of Gentlemen)

Image
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16842
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:25 am

Oh Ceej, you are looking quite foolish now, every inch the vagina.

But, to confirm it one way or the other, what is your opinion on the new RS6?
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 am

thekungfury wrote:No other decade had aggressive looking cars and other than right now society has never been divided by those who have and have not.


The late 80s -early 90s had some pretty brutal designs, but that does not disprove your point, think XR4 even later XR3s and Cossies were all pretty aggressive in their day, even Renault 5 turbo and of course the Subarus and Lancers, that they don't seem that way now just shows how far it has gone.
desertweasel
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Some words - cars

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:34 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Oh Ceej, you are looking quite foolish now, every inch the vagina.

Your face is every inch the vagina!

But, to confirm it one way or the other, what is your opinion on the new RS6?

I quite like it, tbh. Not massively keen on the creases in the bonnet, but whatevs.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16842
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:55 am

Disastrous wrote:
S1K wrote:I saw one of these earlier

Image
Image

I don’t know what the sales figures are but it felt like a rarer spot than the Lamborghini Huracan I saw at lunch time.



I love these.

And I think they do look quite aggressive. Which is a massive fcuking bonus, unless you’re an absolute whimpering girly man.



I love them too.
I went on the Peugeot site to configure one.
The car is even better inside.
BUT you can only have:
1.6 petrol 224 bhp
2.0 diesel 175 bhp

It was like finding out your lap dancer has a cock.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13499
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:14 am

CJ+ wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:what is your opinion on the new RS6?

I quite like it, tbh.


Redeemed!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am

desertweasel wrote:
thekungfury wrote:No other decade had aggressive looking cars and other than right now society has never been divided by those who have and have not.


The late 80s -early 90s had some pretty brutal designs, but that does not disprove your point, think XR4 even later XR3s and Cossies were all pretty aggressive in their day, even Renault 5 turbo and of course the Subarus and Lancers, that they don't seem that way now just shows how far it has gone.

It was a joke.

Aggressive cars have been around forever. An RS6 with wide wheel arches in 2019 has nothing to do with reflecting society’s greed and aggression.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36435
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:58 am

Is it just me, or is that Porsche Taycan an ugly blob car?

It looks like a mash up of a Ford Probe, a Merc CLS, and a Panamera that was modelled but left to go soft in strong sunlight.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3491
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Greg66 wrote:Is it just me, or is that Porsche Taycan an ugly blob car?

It looks like a mash up of a Ford Probe, a Merc CLS, and a Panamera that was modelled but left to go soft in strong sunlight.


I like it!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17507
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Some words - cars

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Greg66 wrote:Is it just me, or is that Porsche Taycan an ugly blob car?

It looks like a mash up of a Ford Probe, a Merc CLS, and a Panamera that was modelled but left to go soft in strong sunlight.

>sucks teeth<

Oh, Gregg, Gregg, Gregg. Whatever are we to do with you?

This is going to require a backing the fcuk down of dis-esque proportions.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16842
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Greg66 wrote:Is it just me, or is that Porsche Taycan an ugly blob car?

It looks like a mash up of a Ford Probe, a Merc CLS, and a Panamera that was modelled but left to go soft in strong sunlight.

Not ugly but definitely not inspiring. Reminds me of a fat (not phat) jelly mould Sierra.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36435
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Some words - cars

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Are you two blind, or taking the fcuking piss?

A Taycan:

Image

A blob:

Image

Ford Probe:

Image

Merc CLS:

Image
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3491
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles
cron