Triumph TR7 V8 Hill Climb car

General car gossip.

Re: Triumph TR7 V8 Hill Climb car

Post by Hooli @ Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Got to give him 10 out of 10 for style.

That is exactly how a RWD car should be driven flat out, great noise too. It almost looked speeded up at time with how quick that picked up speed.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon May 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Ages ago I painted the light pods.

I stripped them down completely and replaced the 7" sealed beam units with modern H4 Halogen units and got as much weight out as possible for the moment.

I'm going to keep them as electric pop-up for now and look to get them down to proper racing weight during the winter.

Stripped:

Etch primer (they were flatted back quite a few times after this):

I was really pleased with the top coat, lovely finish. I put them away and got them out again (months later) to find the paint has reacted slightly over time. Not enough to make me do it again, but disappointing nonetheless.

Anyway, fitted into the car (not got them wired properly yet, but manged to get one of them going up and down with some temp wiring). You can also see in this picture I've got the engine breathers in place now as well:

I got the external pulls (Bowden cables) for the electrical cut off and plumbed-in fire extinguisher sorted as well. Marked the panel:

Drilled both, installed one:

Second one in and both cables through the bulkhead I made:

Into the cabin (you can see from all the P-clips I'm about half way through sorting/re-doing the rest of the cars wiring):

To satisfy the regs I've got to sticker the pulls up for the marshals, same for the tow points - will do that all soon.
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am

Just noticed how much workshop dust is on the inside of the car, will clean that up before I put the new seats in.
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri May 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Remote pulls finished and stickered up:

I needed to fabricate a bracket to support the air flow meter, usual card template made up and transferred onto a bit of sheet steel:

Cut out, folded and painted:

Installed on car:

Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Loads done last weekend, no pictures as it was nearly all extremely tedious wiring (my car has non of the standard Triumph loom left), but I completed:

- Mounted the ECU and ECU loom properly
- Mounted and wired the horn
- Wired in rear fogs (standard TR7 have a little externally mounted one, I utilised the reverse lights position in the rear pods
- Wired the front lights including the relay control system to make them go up and down
- Replaced the B-Pillar covers
- Wired in the fan controller (kicks in at 90 degrees and off at 86 to allow for hysteresis)
- Mounted and wired a pump and bag for the windscreen washer system

I also generally neatened the existing wiring.

So, I have an MOT booked for Saturday morning, I still have loads of things to do; fix the seats in, remake the wiper motor mount (again!) attach the front bumper including the indicators, attached the number plates, make the indicators work and hazard system.

I won't get any time until Friday night, so not vastly optimistic it'll pass first time.

Once MOT'd it's a case of getting it race ready, putting the fixed and removable fire extinguishers back in, adding the safety stickers, padding the cage and fabricating the timing beam breaker.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Oh just fcuk off with your doing things all the time!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:hysteresis

Nice work/d.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:hysteresis

Nice work/d.

>knowing nod<
Deuteronomy

Post by Hooli @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh just fcuk off with your doing things all the time!

:laugh:
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 pm

I managed to get all the things on my list done and the car off to the MOT.

It didn't get there, it sucked up a load of shit from the fuel tank and clogged the fuel filter.

I got within a mile of the MOT station, so frustrating.

Upon sticking the inspection camera down into the tank I can see it's pretty grotty in there. So, to save myself a load of hassle and the worry of the next time it clogs the filter, I'm going to order a shiny new alloy tank to fit in the boot. I'll be able to get to everything a lot easier and if I manage to get one with a sump I can get rid of the lifter pump and swirl pot - thus removing weight and things to go wrong.

For now I can fill the swirl pot from a temp tank which will be enough to run it for the MOT booked for this Saturday coming, not enough to drive it there though. I'll stick it on the trailer.
Deuteronomy

Post by spast1kunt @ Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Do you need a special fuel call tank to take part in competition events and would it be a good idea to have if baffled or full of foam anyway?
spast1kunt

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:37 pm

spast1kunt wrote:Do you need a special fuel call tank to take part in competition events and would it be a good idea to have if baffled or full of foam anyway?

No I don't need one, but the new one will be foam filled as it helps to prevent fuel surge.
Deuteronomy

Post by moleamol @ Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Just reading back through a few of these, why do you have breathers on this? I have them on the Landy transmission and engine but that's for wading, I can't figure it out, I know there'll be a reason but just need to know what. You know I'm shit with this stuff,
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:45 am

moleamol wrote:Just reading back through a few of these, why do you have breathers on this? I have them on the Landy transmission and engine but that's for wading, I can't figure it out, I know there'll be a reason but just need to know what. You know I'm shit with this stuff,

As the petrol/air mixture explodes in the cylinder you inevitably get so blow-by escaping past the piston rings. This causes the crankcase to pressurise positively, if you didn't let it vent then the pressure would start to push the oil past the seals.

The gear box and diff are vented also, as they heat up the air pressure would increase causing the oil to be pressured and leak past the seals. They are presumably remote ones on your Landy? This is to stop it sucking in water, the hot air will contract when wading in cold water, at that point it'd suck it in.
Deuteronomy

Post by moleamol @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:19 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
moleamol wrote:Just reading back through a few of these, why do you have breathers on this? I have them on the Landy transmission and engine but that's for wading, I can't figure it out, I know there'll be a reason but just need to know what. You know I'm shit with this stuff,

As the petrol/air mixture explodes in the cylinder you inevitably get so blow-by escaping past the piston rings. This causes the crankcase to pressurise positively, if you didn't let it vent then the pressure would start to push the oil past the seals.

The gear box and diff are vented also, as they heat up the air pressure would increase causing the oil to be pressured and leak past the seals. They are presumably remote ones on your Landy? This is to stop it sucking in water, the hot air will contract when wading in cold water, at that point it'd suck it in.

Yours make sense now.

I don't even know what you mean by remote ones though! They go up the snorkel to 'up top of the snorkel' height. I think there's one on each diff and one on the crank case
moleamol

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:31 am

moleamol wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Yours make sense now.

I don't even know what you mean by remote ones though! They go up the snorkel to 'up top of the snorkel' height. I think there's one on each diff and one on the crank case

Remote as in on the end of a long bit of tube to raise them out of the water. All cars have them, but they're usually mounted on the casings.

Have ordered the tank this morning, excited!
Deuteronomy

Post by moleamol @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 am

You are correct, they run up the side of the snorkel to the same height as the snorkel. Snorkel is a stupid word when you keep saying snorkel. Snorkel.
moleamol

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 am

Shout it in German, it's much more fun.

SCHNORKEL!
Käsemeister

Post by moleamol @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:27 am

Käsemeister wrote:Shout it in German, it's much more fun.

SCHNORKEL!

Laugh!
moleamol

Post by Hooli @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:52 pm

moleamol wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Yours make sense now.

Should be one from the gearbox & one from the transfer box too.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by moleamol @ Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 am

Hooli wrote:
moleamol wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

Yours make sense now.

Should be one from the gearbox & one from the transfer box too.

There's 3 up the snorkel, I have no idea where they go.
moleamol

Post by Hooli @ Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 pm

People often combine the gearbox & transferbox ones as they come up the bulkhead together, so that makes three with the two axles. You don't need a crankcase one as that breathes into the airbox.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 am

MOT Passed!

Pleased as anything, not driven it properly yet as I refuse to pay a whole months tax for a couple of days, so will tax it from the 1st of July and start road testing and engine setup.

The car fits perfectly on the trailer and tows beautifully:

Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 am

I have a semi.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:11 am

Hugely impressive that you've made the car from p1 pass an MOT with your own hands.

Either that or scary that death traps can pass the MOT and they're driving on the same roads as me.

I choose to believe the former.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 am

I'm giving this two thumbs up and I'm throwin' them in the air.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:02 pm

hurrah! very impressive
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:05 pm

Much awesomeness!
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5