Triumph TR7 V8 Hill Climb car

General car gossip.

Re: Triumph TR7 V8 Hill Climb car

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 am

What's the blue bit for?
oily bits.jpg
Can you tell what it is yet? 'Cos I can't!
oily bits.jpg (153.22 KiB) Viewed 650 times
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:27 am

It's the return spring for the gear lever.

The legs normally sit on top of the two bolts and then the lever has two protrusions that sit between the springs and the bolts. When the lever is moved side to side, the springs then assist its return to centre.

I'll take a picture when the shifter is back in and it'll make sense - I have to remove it to get the box out of the car.
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Four of these arrived today, they will be my wets and E-Marked for the MOT - in the dry I'll be racing on full slicks which I already have.

Yokohama Advan A048-R
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 am

Irritating setback at the weekend.

Fitted the replacement flywheel (with the 36-1 teeth in the back for the crank sensor pick up, only a very small number were made with this) and then the 10.5 inch clutch and pressure plate. Normally with the LT77 gearbox a 9.5 inch clutch is used. The reason, as it turns out, is that the 10.5 inch unit is too big to fit inside the taper of the bellhousing (large silver cone shaped thing a few pictures down that sits beetween the engine and gearbox).

I now have to get the flywheel re-drilled and tapped to take a 9.5 inch clutch. Despite it only being 6 holes and 3 locating dowels, it's a 3 hour job with a precision engineering firm as it has to be aligned perfectly on the centre. I could do it, but not with sufficient accuracy. Most of the time will be setting the machines up, the actual cutting will take a couple of minutes.

After that, I have to get the whole assembly dynamically balanced.

Massive ball ache as each step takes a week as I can only get to these places at the weekends and it'll probably cost about £300 when done. For 6 holes! FFS!
Deuteronomy

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 am

Christ, that is annoying. As you say though, it does have to be done very precisely. The vibrations you'd get from a big heavy piece like that revolving off-centre would shake the whole car to bits.
spast1kunt

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:55 am

Deuts, ask yourself what British Leyland would have done.

First they'd have sucked through their teeth, then had a kipper tie, before bunking off early for the day. They'd strike the following week, then finally return to work and very carefully close one eye before hand drilling the six holes.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Hooli @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Not worth taking a small amount off the inside of the bell housing? That'd leave it too weak I guess.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:29 pm

Hooli wrote:Not worth taking a small amount off the inside of the bell housing? That'd leave it too weak I guess.

Yes, I've relieved a couple of the ribs as much as I dare, but it would never be enough without cutting the top section out entirely.
Deuteronomy

Post by Hooli @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

I assumed you'd have thought of it already.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:21 pm

I once attached a 4-bolt A-series flywheel to a 6-bolt crank by hand. The locating dowel was in the right place for both flywheels, so after drilling the extra holes it was possible to put the flywheel on with the bolts done up loosely, tap it from side to side while checking its off-centreness with a dial gauge, and then do them up tight when it was in the middle. In the absence of a dial gauge I'd have used a fixed stop and feeler gauges. It worked a treat, and when other modifications got to the point that the original coil-spring clutch began to slip I was planning to use the same trick to fit a diaphragm clutch (which presented pretty well exactly the same problem but on a larger diameter) except I never got round to it.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Otto Sump @ Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:45 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Four of these arrived today, they will be my wets and E-Marked for the MOT - in the dry I'll be racing on full slicks which I already have.

Yokohama Advan A048-R

I have had these on the Caterham. They are well grippy.
Otto Sump

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:10 am

Make sure you put them on the right way round. :banghead:
Käsemeister

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:36 am

Käsemeister wrote:Make sure you put them on the right way round. :banghead:

Good eye deer
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Make sure you put them on the right way round. :banghead:

I'm assuming my eagle eyes were correct?
Deuteronomy

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Dunno, car still isn't back
Käsemeister

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am

Minor update:

Flywheel drill and balanced (£305 - FFS!) and bolted back onto the engine. Happy to say the gearbox and bell housing went on without a problem and turning the engine over by hand doesn't elicit any metal to metal noises.
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Four of these arrived today, they will be my wets and E-Marked for the MOT - in the dry I'll be racing on full slicks which I already have.

Yokohama Advan A048-R

I had these on one of my Evos. They look awesome but are truly terrible in the wet. Obviously better than slicks but I feel re-think might be in order
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:16 pm

Turntable wrote:

Yokohama Advan A048-R

I had these on one of my Evos. They look awesome but are truly terrible in the wet. Obviously better than slicks but I feel re-think might be in order

Well, that's what I would have thought too. But, after speaking to a lot of the other competitors who mostly use them for wets, it seems that what they hate is standing water. We won't be allowed to race if there's standing water on the track and (from what I've seen) they're okay when just 'wet'.

To be honest, I'll not be giving it the full beans in the wet anyway, no one else does as there's very little run-off, so the chance of breaking something expensive a greatly enhanced.
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Some progress over the long weekend, sadly nothing worth taking a photo as visually it looks the same.

- Changed the oil in the gear box
- Oil and filter in the engine
- Put engine and gearbox back in the car
- Propshaft back on
- Re-fitted the exhaust system
- Cleaned and drilled the inlet manifold to accept the more modern injector size (13.5mm)
- Did a bit more work on the new injection/ignition loom
- Sourced and fitted the correct crank position sensor
- Fabricated a little bracket to support the wiring harness that I've made for the road speed sensor
- Welded a boss in each exhaust manifold for the lambda sensors (I tacked them in a few weeks ago but wanted to check the final position with the engine back in the car before permanently fixing them in place)
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Oh, I changed the plugs as well.
Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Fuel system at the weekend.

But first, inlet manifold. I took off the old carburetor manifold ages ago and sold it. The previous owner had fitted it as he couldn't get the fuel injection to work properly, pretty sure I know why, more on that later.

I removed the old valley gasket and was pleased as anything to find the engine immaculate inside - can't be more than a couple of hundred miles since it was rebuilt, no oil hazing at all:

Replacement valley gasket and injection inlet manifold on, the fuel rail is also trial fitted so that I can place the feed and return pipes. The green tape is to blank off the injector and inlet holes in case I drop anything down them. The coil pack is also trial fitted as I had to fabricate a different mount for the wiper motor as the original one sat where the coil pack had to go, not much clearance now, but enough:

I could then place the feed and return fuel lines on the bulkhead (braided hoses):

They have to run through the car to meet regulations and then through into the boot:

The reason (I suspect) the previous owner had poor running issues in injection was he didn't use a swirl pot and therefore had starvation issues. So, I'm using a low pressure lifter pump (under the car, not in the picture, I've not connected those lines up yet)) to move the fuel from the tank to the swirl pot (alloy cylinder) via a filter, to the high pressure pump, another filter and then to the feed. The return line then comes back from the fuel rail and into the swirl pot at the top:

Deuteronomy

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed May 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Got the loom almost finished, the few remaining bits need doing when it's passed through the bulkhead into the car. Easily the most complicated one I've done so far, you can't see half the connectors for knock sensors, cam sensor, crank, coil pack etc etc:

I made up a little flying lead for the coolant temp sensor - with the fuel rail in place you can't unplug it, this makes that possible - only a small thing, but a potential massive time saver for the future.

I'm confident that I'll have this bastard running at the weekend.
Deuteronomy

Post by Strawman @ Wed May 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Can we hear it then vicariously via youtube or something?
Strawman

Post by Bodhi @ Wed May 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Deuts I think it's safe to say I've always hated you and think very little of you as a man, however I'm well impressed with your car building abilities.
Bodhi

Post by thekungfury @ Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Deuts for HC cars do you have to take into account the fact that the car will be accelerating up a hill? For things like fuel and oil and that to overcome gravity? Or g as we scientists call it.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 am

thekungfury wrote:Deuts for HC cars do you have to take into account the fact that the car will be accelerating up a hill? For things like fuel and oil and that to overcome gravity? Or g as we scientists call it.

Yes, g-forces are a big issue, but no more than circuit racing for example.

To overcome this I'm using the fuel swirl-pot as being tall and narrow fuel sloshing side to side makes little difference to the pick up point at the bottom and will stop any starvation issues.

Engine oil is generally trickier. I'll keep the level at maximum and a very close eye on the pressure gauge/warning light. If it becomes a problem I'll fit a baffled sump and possibly even a Accusump (keeps a smallish volume of oil pressurised and will release into the system if the main pressure drops).
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 am

I didn't really understand most of those words but glad it's sorted.

I cycled up a bastard hill recently (Whiteleaf - Princes Risborough) and could feel my front wheel lifting with every stroke because all the weight was over the back. I'm guessing steering gets light too?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu May 04, 2017 9:34 am

thekungfury wrote:I didn't really understand most of those words but glad it's sorted.

I cycled up a bastard hill recently (Whiteleaf - Princes Risborough) and could feel my front wheel lifting with every stroke because all the weight was over the back. I'm guessing steering gets light too?

Yes, on certain corners it will, this vid is another TR7 going up Prescott (my local venue):

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQF4B1qzuXE
Deuteronomy

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am

He doesn't seem to be finding the gearchange very easy in that video.
spast1kunt

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am

spast1kunt wrote:He doesn't seem to be finding the gear change very easy in that video.

What makes you say that?
Deuteronomy

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat