New Arrival: Mitsubishi Shogun V6

General car gossip.

New Arrival: Mitsubishi Shogun V6

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:22 pm

I have bought a rubbish old 4x4, finally. It is a twenty year old Mitsubishi Shogun, thus;

You'll remember (if you've got a long memory, back to the start of this fiasco) that I had a set of criteria I wanted to fulfill, namely:

- Budget £1500
- Auto
- Big woofly engine
- Tow bar
- Masses of boot space for camping stuff and junk
- 'Proper' four wheel drive with low range
- Long MOT

(Some of these might have only been in my head and not made it into the thread)

It is/has all of those things.

I was getting a bit fed up endlessly trawling around to find something that wasn't shit, and finding my mental budget creeping up and up to try to get something not terrible. But when I got to the point of genuinely considering a diesel Vitara for £2300, I know I needed to have a word with myself.

And suddenly, within a couple of days I'd found this, and within a couple of days of that I'd bought it.

Comfortably well under my original budget. Old enough and rubbish enough that I already don't care about it. But in genuinely superb condition with no rust and all straight undented bodywork, clean upholstery and (almost) all the electrics work. Mazing!

The boot is colossal. In fact the whole thing is colossal - I'm looking over the heads of people driving X5s etc. Seven seats, huge electric glass sunroof, low range four wheel drive with centre and rear diff locks, inclinometer (!), and tellingly, the 4x4 I always dreamed of owning when I was much younger.

Yes: it's pikey and rubbish. Yes, it's 20mpg if I'm lucky. But the tax is £240, the insurance is £240. It's never failed an MOT - and has a current one until next May, and it starts immediately every single time (so far).

Good luck everybody!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: New Arrival: Mitsubishi Shogun V6

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:26 pm

That looks like enormous vfm! Can we see some interior pics please?

I'm glad the hunt is over and look forward to hearing all about it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by moleamol @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:28 pm

That looks excellent Datho, well done. I still find it hilarious looking down at what people think are 'big' 4x4s. It also looks to have decent tyres for off road, and I know family but get them side steps off and get it down a proper green lane, I'm sure it's capable.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by foo @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Excellent, let's see more pictures.
foo

Post by spast1kunt @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm sure you'll have some fun in that. It's from the era of Japanese cars where the manufacturers loaded European export models with all the extras they could think of, hence the sunroof, electric mirrors and all the rest when at the time if you'd bought a Ford you'd have had wind-up windows and nothing else.
spast1kunt

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Right, more pics:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

You can see that the boot carpet is a bit mucky, but otherwise everything is quite clean. Lots and lots of dreary grey plastic, and lots of big clonky knobs. The gear knob is like a potato from RoboCop's own garden.

You'll see a steering wheel in the boot. That's the original, because there's a horrid after market wheel in it at the moment.

The tyres are massive; 265 70 r16. Which is equivalent to 30x9.5 - the 'big' size I ended up putting on my old Jeep for off roading.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Hooli @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Lovely old bus Dartho, I've seen them without mods get places that surprised a lot of people.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by minimoog @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm

As an (ex) Isuzu Trooper driver I am duty-bound to heap scorn and mockery upon your choice, in much the same way as MG owners scorn mock poor benighted Triumph owners, etc etc and vice versa.

In reality of course I appreciate that you have done exactly the right thing and know that you will enjoy it hugely. These and the equivalent Troopers, Patrols, Landcruisers, etc are huge and tough and generally rather brilliant. I never tire of telling people about the Discovery 2 I pulled out of a snow-filled ditch it had slid into and the Trooper hardly noticed it was there. This will show similar contempt for adversity I'm sure.

Well done.
minimoog

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm

How excited is PK?
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:08 pm

That's great I'm glad you went the whole hog and got something so capable.
Strawman

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 pm

That's ace. As much as I hate to agree with the colour afflicted one, he's right get those steps off. That's a shitty design putting them below the chassis, at least on the Disco they're parallel with the chassis.

Get some knobblies on it.
Käsemeister

Post by foo @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:The tyres are massive; 265 70 r16. Which is equivalent to 30x9.5 - the 'big' size I ended up putting on my old Jeep for off roading.

I had four 275/60R18s delivered in October, they were all lined up in the hallway. I was sure they'd delivered the wrong tyres or something because these were clearly for a lorry despite the markings. I was a bit worried so had to double-check by rolling one alongside a fitted one. They were of course fine, they just looked huge inside a normal sized house.
foo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 pm

thekungfury wrote:How excited is PK?
Somehow he hasn't even ridden in it yet. But Little Miss Mischief is obsessed with it and insisted that we go to gymnastics in it this morning. There is usually no parking space left there, meaning we have to scrape and bounce around in my Civic to park on the horrid uneven verge. So imagine her fury when we arrived in a huge 4x4 to discover a single perfect space left in the car park.

PK will doubtless get a go in it tomorrow.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Hooli @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:58 pm

I think Kermit abused one of these for years on the green lanes around Dorking etc? I don't recall it ever breaking.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:06 pm

foo wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:The tyres are massive; 265 70 r16. Which is equivalent to 30x9.5 - the 'big' size I ended up putting on my old Jeep for off roading.

I had four 275/60R18s delivered in October, they were all lined up in the hallway. I was sure they'd delivered the wrong tyres or something because these were clearly for a lorry despite the markings. I was a bit worried so had to double-check by rolling one alongside a fitted one. They were of course fine, they just looked huge inside a normal sized house.
Ha! This is quite a fun website calculator if tyre sizes are of any interest*.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Your 18s sounds much bigger, but apparently they're almost exactly the same size as on my Shogun.

*well, obv!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:39 pm

That is utterly brilliant Datho. I can almost imagine trying to coax it into a 30mph bend with the seemingly high target of keeping it between the kerbs.

I hope you have loads of snow this winter so your kids get all the excitement of being the only ones in school.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:29 pm

I've just been to the tip with the help of PK. Half emptied the garage into the boot of the Shogun and also had room for an old 36" plasma telly. Topped up the tyres on the way back and then showed PK under the bonnet - which leads me to a question for you wise internet people:

There are two small radiators in addition to the actual radiator. Look;

ImageImage

The first one is directly in front of the main radiator, on the driver's side. The second one is on the passenger side, several inches in front of the main one and just behind the grille. Obviously they're additional coolers, but for what? Oil cooler? Brakes? No idea.

ps; here's the actual engine itself. It looks quite clean to me, but I don't really know anything:

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:40 pm

Engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler, I think.
Strawman

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Oil and intercooler?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Hmm, probably. I've joined an owner's forum and suspect I will come to know the mechanical bits and pieces fairly well over the weeks and months.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Paul H @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:The first one is directly in front of the main radiator, on the driver's side. The second one is on the passenger side, several inches in front of the main one and just behind the grille.

I think you'll find out that one is simply expensive whilst the other is eye-wateringly expensive.
Paul H

Post by Paul H @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Paul H

Post by moleamol @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Oil and intercooler?

I think strawms might be right, unless one if for the AC. There'll be no intercooler with no turbo!
moleamol

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I have bought a rubbish old 4x4, finally. It is a twenty year old Mitsubishi Shogun, thus;

:like:
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:18 pm

No a/c. No turbo. Must be oil coolers I suppose.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Don't know why but I assumed it was a turbo. What even is it, petrol?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minimoog @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:41 pm

Auto box therefore transmission oil cooler. Good thing to have.
minimoog

Post by minimoog @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Don't know why but I assumed it was a turbo. What even is it, petrol?

You've fallen into the same trap as I did which was to assume that it said 'intercooler' along the rear wing, like they nearly all do. But they are all turbo diesels, and this doesn't say intercooler, so this is a petrol.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Ha, sorry yes! It's petrol.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:51 pm

minimoog wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Don't know why but I assumed it was a turbo. What even is it, petrol?

You've fallen into the same trap as I did which was to assume that it said 'intercooler' along the rear wing, like they nearly all do. But they are all turbo diesels, and this doesn't say intercooler, so this is a petrol.

>checks<

Extraordinary!
Tokyo Sexwale

Next

Return to Car Chat