New Arrival: Audi RS6

General car gossip.

New Arrival: Audi RS6

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 am

As discussed, on Friday I picked up my new RS6.
I p/ex the Land Cruiser and lost exactly £1000 which I was happy with. Interestingly, the dealer I bought the Audi from, got that p/ex price directly from a Toyota main dealer.
Its difficult to know how to describe how good this car is. In photos it looks a bit bland and sterile; inside and out. In the flesh it looks amazing. Hugely aggressive and the interior is stunning. Take the clocks, as an example. In pictures they look like slightly dated speed dials. In the flesh they are raised and angled slightly giving an almost 3d quality to them. THey look excellent.
Anyway, it looks excellent and drives even better. It has been a long time since a car frightened me in a good way and this is one.
Driving along with the gears and suspension in 'comfort' and it feels a bit dull. There is the growl from the exhausts but everything feels a bit vague and comfortable. Switch them both to dynamic/sport and you instantly feel a different car. It is uncanny how big a difference those switches make.
THis car has slightly more power than normal (700bhp) and it feels amazing. Floor it and it accelerates absolutely brutally and just doesn't stop. It is properly exciting and properly dangerous, and completely addictive. Added to this a noise which goes from a low murmur at pootling speeds to an increasingly loud roar with an almighty bark as it changes gear. It is a proper Jekyll and Hyde car.

Anyway, for the moment this is the first car I have had that comes close to the GTR for excitement whilst being a much nice place to sit inside.
In answer to the questions about my next car/how soon etc I am not sure. I feel certain that running costs and depreciation are going to decide this, rather than boredom of the car. If I get bored of this there is nowhere really to go.

Anyway, pics:

Turntable

Highscores: 7

Re: New Arrival: Audi RS6

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 am

Two things that annoy me.
Deuts was right about the keyless go.
It is keyless go without keyless entry which is the most pointless thing in the world as you have to use it like a normal key and then find somewhere other than the key slot to store it whilst you drive. Really is ludicrous and adds nothing.
The second thing that drives me up the wall is a thing that seems unique to Audi/VW which is so moronic that I am amazed they persist in doing it. When you press the unlock button, it only unlocks the drivers door. You need to press it a second time to unlock the other doors.
Doesn't seem like a big deal right? Except you never EVER get used to it, so combined with the stupid keyless go, the following scenario takes place every time you go anywhere:
1)Unlock the door
2)Put key in your pocket.
3)Get in and close the door
4)Notice all your family standing around the car pulling at locked door handles.
5) Swear and try and lift your arse enough to get key back out of jeans pocket
6) etc etc etc
It is so fcuking infuriating and has no actual value.
Turntable

Post by stuart @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 am

I love that.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 am

:like:
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 am

That's superb. Not the keyless stuff, that's stupid.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:17 am

Turntable wrote:Two things that annoy me.
Deuts was right about the keyless go.
It is keyless go without keyless entry which is the most pointless thing in the world as you have to use it like a normal key and then find somewhere other than the key slot to store it whilst you drive. Really is ludicrous and adds nothing.
The second thing that drives me up the wall is a thing that seems unique to Audi/VW which is so moronic that I am amazed they persist in doing it. When you press the unlock button, it only unlocks the drivers door. You need to press it a second time to unlock the other doors.
Doesn't seem like a big deal right? Except you never EVER get used to it, so combined with the stupid keyless go, the following scenario takes place every time you go anywhere:
1)Unlock the door
2)Put key in your pocket.
3)Get in and close the door
4)Notice all your family standing around the car pulling at locked door handles.
5) Swear and try and lift your arse enough to get key back out of jeans pocket
6) etc etc etc
It is so fcuking infuriating and has no actual value.

You should have an unlock button in the car somewhere... next to the door handle possibly? so that you can unlock it without you fumbling for your keys.

unbelievable that it doesn't have keyless entry though...

ETA:
Last edited by Aesgarth on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 am

Love this so much (aside from the keyless go)
Deuteronomy

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 am

It would appear that it is an option to get the advanced key (and therefore keyless entry) as all of the in car wiring is there and the door handles should be correct... would have been a £750 option new....

ETA: otherwise excellent car!
Last edited by Aesgarth on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am

Aesgarth wrote:It would appear that it is an option to get the advanced key (and therefore keyless entry) as all of the in car wiring is there and the door handles should be correct... would have been a £750 option new....

The unlock button is there, you are right.
If you drive several cars though you don't instantly remember where it is so its not that much use!
I don't think the entry was even an option at the time. This car has every single option available other than heads-up (which annoys the shit out of me as that is the best)
Turntable

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:40 am

I have a similar scenario with my Jag regarding the family standing around waiting to get in. I do have keyless entry though, so I just nonchalantly saunter up to the drivers door, pull the handle and get in while cursing why everyone else is standing around outside. Then I realise and press the button on the dash to let everyone in.

You're right about never getting used to it too.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:54 am

Excellent car TT.

Well done on ridding yourself of that awful gypsy wagon and getting something halfway decent.
Bodhi

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

Turntable wrote:4)Notice all your family standing around the car pulling at locked door handles.

5)Tell family to get their own RS6 if they're so bothered :D
CJ+

Post by S1K @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 am

Just the 700bhp then? That should be sufficient I suppose.
S1K

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:47 am

Turntable wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:It would appear that it is an option to get the advanced key (and therefore keyless entry) as all of the in car wiring is there and the door handles should be correct... would have been a £750 option new....

The unlock button is there, you are right.
If you drive several cars though you don't instantly remember where it is so its not that much use!
I don't think the entry was even an option at the time. This car has every single option available other than heads-up (which annoys the shit out of me as that is the best)

They don't call it keyless entry, they call it advanced key, and it was definitely an option on that model... You have tried just opening the door, haven't you... the button on the handle is for locking it...

failing that...
https://www.hazzydayz.com/keyless-entry ... 5541-p.asp
~£2k.. which seems expensive. just press the unlock button twice every time you unlock the car...

CJ+ wrote:
Turntable wrote:4)Notice all your family standing around the car pulling at locked door handles.

5)Tell family to get their own RS6 if they're so bothered :D

Or do this.
Aesgarth

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm well jealous, I console myself with the thought I'm too impulsive and would be banned soon after getting a car like that.
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Turntable wrote:The second thing that drives me up the wall is a thing that seems unique to Audi/VW which is so moronic that I am amazed they persist in doing it. When you press the unlock button, it only unlocks the drivers door. You need to press it a second time to unlock the other doors.

You can change this in the menu to open all doors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5Z-OzQSzQ
thekungfury

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:08 pm

700HP?

fcuk.

/ph what's the vmax?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:11 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:fcuk.

/ph what's the vmax?

More than the tyres can bear
Strawman

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:19 pm

If the limiter has been removed it should be good for a shade over 200 mph
Aesgarth

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:06 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Turntable wrote:The second thing that drives me up the wall is a thing that seems unique to Audi/VW which is so moronic that I am amazed they persist in doing it. When you press the unlock button, it only unlocks the drivers door. You need to press it a second time to unlock the other doors.

You can change this in the menu to open all doors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5Z-OzQSzQ

Using the advanced key. Which he doesn’t have.
Käsemeister

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:14 pm

It can be done using VCDS if he can find someone local to do it for him.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/show ... the-remote
Aesgarth

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Disappointing how quickly this has deteriorated from a celebration of tt buying a brilliant brutal monster of a car, into dreary grumbling about central locking.

tt, please go out and set a land speed record or something in it, and maybe video it for us to be thrilled about.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:21 pm

I'll bet a pint that it's gone inside six months :D
CJ+

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Käsemeister wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Using the advanced key. Which he doesn’t have.

shrug

I am on my 2nd Audi and I just changed it in the car menu. My boss' last two A6 the same. No advanced key. Just boggo Audi keys.

teets if you hold unlock it will open all the windows. Handy on a hot day to get the windows open to clear out roasting air as you approach. Hold lock to close them.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Disappointing how quickly this has deteriorated from a celebration of tt buying a brilliant brutal monster of a car, into dreary grumbling about central locking.

tt, please go out and set a land speed record or something in it, and maybe video it for us to be thrilled about.

Good point Damo.
I must stress that these things are irritating bugbears (which it sounds like I might be able to change in a menu - I definitely couldn't in my Phaeton) and nothing more.
This car would have to have a hell of a lot more downsides to make a dent in how much I love it.
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Aesgarth wrote:If the limiter has been removed it should be good for a shade over 200 mph

Is this a guess or do you know this for sure?
If the engine has been remapped, is it likely that it was de-limited at the same time?
Turntable

Post by S1K @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:40 pm

There's one easy way to find out.
S1K

quad post for some reason. No idea how or why that happened.
Last edited by S1K on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S1K

S1K

S1K

Next

Return to Car Chat