Electric Cars Spotted

General car gossip.

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm

In line with the general decline in car sales then

Car sales have now fallen in Britain for 12 straight months, following years of strong growth in the market.


Part of the great Brexit effect on the economy, Diesel sales are down 40% so EV are doing better than those

https://www.ft.com/content/7dc079ce-38a7-11e8-8b98-2f31af407cc8
Last edited by Strawman on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39546
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm

And hybrids were up by far more than EVs were down
Last edited by Dirk on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30351
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Baby Huey wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:I've given up taking pictures of EVs, the point of the thread was really to demonstrate that there are bloody loads of them. I'm happy that goal has been completed.

No doubt somebody may disagree, which is fine.
No doubt they won't let it go and move on, which isn't fine.


I wouldn't say 1 car in 200 was bloody loads.


It's actually 2.1% of all new registrations and growing rapidly. But you crack on.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Counted 18 of various flavours in the space of a smoke outside BH today, entirely predictable I suppose. Still, clearly no one is buying them as they’re all overpriced tat.
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37060
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by stuart @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 pm

Just looked out my window and saw an i3 pull into a parking space at hotel across from my flat.

Rubbish pic, dont know how to zoom on phone (if it can)

Image
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 17921
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: All up in your biznez!
Highscores: 2

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by span @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 pm

I saw either two Teslas or one Tesla doing laps while I was out running with the dog this morning - I wanted to take a pic but it was just me and the car so I thought I'd look Odd.

Why are they so big? To my non-expert (no, really) eye they look like their proportions are that of a much smaller car, but they're enormous. Why is that?
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 6893
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 pm

I think they are just big because the American market is their main one at the moment, just a design choice really. Because they don't have a big engine or fuel tank or radiator or other stuff the choice of how they look has fewer design constraints than conventional cars have, but they look fairly normal because that's what people want I suppose. The battery packs are similar to the ones you find in a laptop AFAIK, there are just a lot more of them but being small you can place them around the body to even the weight distribution etc.

ETA

Image
Last edited by Strawman on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39546
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 pm

I was inside a hybrid earlier and we drove to our destination entirely on the power of ELECTRICITY. I want to give Elon Musk a nice big tummy rub.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35069
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by S1K @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 am

I was in a Prius taxi last year (not a real EV) and it was fascinating to watch the screen on the dashboard telling you when the engine was working and when it was discharging then regenerating electricity to the battery.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:08 am

S1K wrote:I was in a Prius taxi last year (not a real EV) and it was fascinating to watch the screen on the dashboard telling you when the engine was working and when it was discharging then regenerating electricity to the battery.


I fcuking hate that system with a passion.

For reasons known only to them and their gods, a lot of Singapore taxi drivers have this really annoying & vomit inducing habit of feathering the throttle when you're on the expressway such that you almost rock back & forth as you go forward. The Prius driving cnuts amongst their ranks now use the brakes to do it to get their free charging lights all light up.
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by desertweasel @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
S1K wrote:I was in a Prius taxi last year (not a real EV) and it was fascinating to watch the screen on the dashboard telling you when the engine was working and when it was discharging then regenerating electricity to the battery.


I fcuking hate that system with a passion.

For reasons known only to them and their gods, a lot of Singapore taxi drivers have this really annoying & vomit inducing habit of feathering the throttle when you're on the expressway such that you almost rock back & forth as you go forward. The Prius driving cnuts amongst their ranks now use the brakes to do it to get their free charging lights all light up.


Not just an East Asian thing, in Dubai after years of almost throwing up as we sped up and slowed down I got an Indian driver to tell me the reason, it's a big secret (which is why nobody would answer me before) but apparently......

THEY THINK IT IS A SECRET WAY OF SAVING FCUCKING FUEL,
it's a secret because they don't want the company to know how they are saving fuel and taking away their fuel bonus

So for years these dumbasses have been making me vomit for something that could never ever work.
Last edited by desertweasel on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
desertweasel
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by S1K @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:26 am

My driver was Spanish and he didn't go in for any of that stuff.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:28 am

i didn't take a picture because i didn't have a camera but i saw an electric van on charge at Scotch Corner services yesterday. it was one of these:
https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/e-nv200.html
also, Diesel was £1.509/l which made me think that an electric van was a very good idea.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4365
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:59 am

I know this is a bit of a piss-takey thread, but it's really made me pay attention to how many EVs and hybrids there are around. Flippin' loads!

Not a day goes by without me seeing Teslas and Leafs (Leaves?) and BMW iNumbers. Make me wonder where you live Huey that you don't see them all the time.

I'm really thinking hard about a hybrid for my next car.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 12873
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am

I saw a Tesla today, it was dark blue.
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 5951
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by S1K @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 am

I saw a Tesla in Ammanford last week and that's the sort of place that people still drive about in Ford Sierras and Vauxhall Cavaliers.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:53 pm

I was at Warwick Uni today and all their site service vehicle were electric vans. I’ve no idea what breed though as I didn’t look, I just noticed them silently oozing around.
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 17404
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Baby Huey sees no ships.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Today I drove down the m6 from Penrith to Telford. I saw at least 4 tesli (3 s's and an x) and Mercedes Vito (tourer), which i didn't know was available in electric form.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4365
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Baby Huey @ Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I know this is a bit of a piss-takey thread, but it's really made me pay attention to how many EVs and hybrids there are around. Flippin' loads!

Not a day goes by without me seeing Teslas and Leafs (Leaves?) and BMW iNumbers. Make me wonder where you live Huey that you don't see them all the time.

I'm really thinking hard about a hybrid for my next car.

H

I live in SE London and we have a BMW and Tesla dealer not far away. I regularly drive into London and very rarely do I see an EV. As I may have posted before, they make up around 1 car in 200 on UK roads. CBA to post a link, but out of 26m cars on UK roads, 155,000 are battery powered.
Last edited by Baby Huey on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baby Huey
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Baby Huey wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I know this is a bit of a piss-takey thread, but it's really made me pay attention to how many EVs and hybrids there are around. Flippin' loads!

Not a day goes by without me seeing Teslas and Leafs (Leaves?) and BMW iNumbers. Make me wonder where you live Huey that you don't see them all the time.

I'm really thinking hard about a hybrid for my next car.

H

I live in SE London and we have a BMW and Tesla dealer not far away. I regularly drive into London and very rarely do I see an EV. As I may have posted before, they make up around 1 car in 200 on UK roads.


Selective blindness.
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 6443
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I know this is a bit of a piss-takey thread, but it's really made me pay attention to how many EVs and hybrids there are around. Flippin' loads!

Not a day goes by without me seeing Teslas and Leafs (Leaves?) and BMW iNumbers. Make me wonder where you live Huey that you don't see them all the time.

I'm really thinking hard about a hybrid for my next car.

H

I live in SE London and we have a BMW and Tesla dealer not far away. I regularly drive into London and very rarely do I see an EV. As I may have posted before, they make up around 1 car in 200 on UK roads.


Selective blindness.



Nod.

I reckon I see easily 200 cars a day driving to and from work, and if he drives to London, he likely sees even more, so loads must be EVs.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39195
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:43 am

Nah he’s just lying/trolling. London is awash with EV.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35069
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:00 am

Absolutely.

I walk about 200 metres to work and normally see at least one ev during my 'commute'.

Didn't he get booted from PH for being obsessed with electric cars or something? Either way, it's pretty funny/boring.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 am

thekungfury wrote:Nah he’s just lying/trolling. London is awash with EV.



Prove me wrong dumb dumb. London isn't awash with EVs because home charging isn't easy in London, as the vast majority of people have no off street parking.

An even lower estimate. 130,000 EVs on UK roads.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars ... htmltimate.

So even if all the EVs in the country were based in London, that's still less than 5% of cars in town being an EV. Still hardly awash with EVs.
Last edited by Baby Huey on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Baby Huey
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:39 am

Baby Huey wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Nah he’s just lying/trolling. London is awash with EV.



Prove me wrong dumb dumb. London isn't awash with EVs because home charging isn't easy in London, as the vast majority of people have no off street parking.

An even lower estimate. 130,000 EVs on UK roads.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars ... htmltimate.

There are 10,000 registered EVs in London, 0.4% of the total cars. So on one hand none, on the other, ten thousand depending on your confirmation bias.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49040
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Baby Huey @ Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 am

Baby Huey wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:Let's post pictures of all the electric cars we see.

]


It's going to be a rather short thread.


I haven't been proved wrong yet. If all else fails, call the well informed person a liar.
Last edited by Baby Huey on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baby Huey
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am

Baby Huey wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:Let's post pictures of all the electric cars we see.

]


It's going to be a rather short thread.


I haven't been proved wrong yet.


You're mental.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Walking to the One Stop through the village this evening to buy some crisps, this was (badly) parked outside my local. Literally 90 seconds walk from my house:

Image
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 12873
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:48 pm

#fakenews
User avatar
Käsemeister
 
Posts: 37060
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation.

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles
cron