Electric Cars Spotted

General car gossip.

Re: Electric Cars Spotted

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:12 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:However, it is noticeable that there are fewer in the more rural areas, but I suspect this is more to do with the age-group who can typically afford to live in those areas than any practical issues.

Certainly it would be less practicable here. The infrastructure is nowhere near as mature as I know it to be in your area.

Of course one could argue that is because there is less demand from the group who live here, but it would certainly be risky or me to have an all electric car currently. I would be reliant on home charging very night, which would restrict me on where I could go during day (some round trips I do would definitely be out)
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:16 am

Baby Huey wrote:
I don’t see many Model S, the majority are Chauffeur cars (similar badging to the Mini Cabs) around London.

No
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:Living on the SE London / Kent border I see many electric cars every day. On the school run, outside local shops, in motorway service stations and in virtually every client car park I visit (most of them offer free recharging). However, it is noticeable that there are fewer in the more rural areas, but I suspect this is more to do with the age-group who can typically afford to live in those areas than any practical issues.

Anyway, has anyone seen the Model S Shooting brake conversion somebody in Norfolk has built? I think it would be my perfect car...

I think that looks superb, just a touch fussy around the top of the passenger window, but that's to be expected to avoid the cost of replacement glass.
Deuteronomy

Post by S1K @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:40 am

Even big manufacturers have done that with the rear door window when you'd think they had more than enough money to make a bespoke window frame and pane for an estate car. It's something that always annoyed me about the Volvo 240 estate.

S1K

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am

S1K wrote:Even big manufacturers have done that with the rear door window when you'd think they had more than enough money to make a bespoke window frame and pane for an estate car. It's something that always annoyed me about the Volvo 240 estate.

Agreed and noticed it many times over the years.
Deuteronomy

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:48 am

Just watching the racing in Sweden, you can stick your electric cars up your arse :)

wtf.jpg
wtf.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 644 times
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:I think that looks superb, just a touch fussy around the top of the passenger window, but that's to be expected to avoid the cost of replacement glass.

Yes, my eye keeps getting drawn to that. I'd have to throw them some cash and tell them to get some proper fitting windows made tut suit.
Careless Whisperer

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:48 am

Deuteronomy wrote:I think that looks superb, just a touch fussy around the top of the passenger window, but that's to be expected to avoid the cost of replacement glass.

Surely the price of 2 pieces of glass would have been insignificant against the total cost of the conversion?

For me it utterly undermines the vision & execution of a great idea, all for a bit of glass. It stands out like a wart on the chin of an otherwise attractive person, once you've seen it you can't look beyond it. It draws the eye inexorably in like a horny sailor responding to the harpy's call.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Baby Huey @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:01 am

Turntable wrote:What amazes me is that they manage to make a car that looks soooooo amazing, is almost free to run and is a silent as an Aresnal fan.
It is utterly inexplicable

Why can’t I be an early adopter like these cool dudes?
Baby Huey

Post by Baby Huey @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:08 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:Living on the SE London / Kent border I see many electric cars every day. On the school run, outside local shops, in motorway service stations and in virtually every client car park I visit (most of them offer free recharging).

You can’t live far from me, I see very few EVs on the road.

Thread is post pictures of EVs spotted, not anecdotal evidence of lots of EVs locally.
Baby Huey

Post by Strawman @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:39 am

Baby Huey wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:Living on the SE London / Kent border I see many electric cars every day. On the school run, outside local shops, in motorway service stations and in virtually every client car park I visit (most of them offer free recharging).

Thread is post pictures of EVs spotted, not anecdotal evidence of lots of EVs locally.

I think this thread's purpose is to mock your obsession, but only manfromdelmonte can say for sure. The Tesla I posted above was spotted in Kent.
Strawman

Post by Baby Huey @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:52 am

Strawman wrote:
Baby Huey wrote:

I think this thread's purpose is to mock your obsession, but only manfromdelmonte can say for sure. The Tesla I posted above was spotted in Kent.

Still haven't seen many pictures of actual EVs. Last time I looked they made up about 1 in 200 cars on UK roads, despite fairly heavy incentives for those that like to reduce their tax bill and get free money from the Government, ironically.
Last edited by Baby Huey on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baby Huey

Post by Dirk @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:05 am

Baby Huey wrote:Still haven't seen many pictures of actual EVs. Last time I looked they made up about 1 in 200 cars on UK roads, despite fairly heavy incentives for those that like to reduce their tax bill and get free money from the Government, ironically.

All right Alanis
Dirk

Post by Strawman @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 am

Baby Huey wrote: Last time I looked they make up about 1 in 200 cars on UK, despite fairly heavy incentives for those that like to reduce their tax bill and get free money from the Government, ironically.

The grants are based on the low emissions of these vehicles, and is a significant way to improve air quality in major cities so not ideologically based by the government. It will take a few years before they are the majority of cars and vans on the road but their growth in sales is exponential

Many plug in hybrids are now being used by commuters without the combustion engine being used on a daily basis, so 90% of the time the are effectively electric cars as well.
Strawman

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am

I spotted and photographed 4 in less than 5 minutes the other day, how many more do you want?

1 in 48 cars registered in 2018 are plug-in EVs. If you don't see many on the road, then you aren't looking very hard.

Electric cars are working and are here to stay, stop being a baby. I'm not a statistician by trade, but I can't help but notice a slight trend in this graph.

manfromdelmonte

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Baby Huey wrote:

You probably do - it's all pretty backwards round here in most ways. We're not really sure about these Blacks - have you seen any round your way? Some of them want to live here FFS, but we've got places like Lewisham for them...
Careless Whisperer

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Baby Huey wrote:Still haven't seen many pictures of actual EVs. Last time I looked they made up about 1 in 200 cars on UK roads, despite fairly heavy incentives for those that like to reduce their tax bill and get free money from the Government, ironically.

Not being a social media influencer, I don't tend to take photos of everything I see in my daily life.

My neighbour opposite has a Zoe, but I'm not going to photograph it for you.
Last edited by Careless Whisperer on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Careless Whisperer

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:48 pm

I took my daughter to gymnastics this morning, and parked opposite this:

And then as I drove out of the carpark afterwards I had to wait for a Tesla Model X to go past (no photo because driving).

We went to a classic car show then, where I saw an internal combustion engine:

Oh, also, I parked next to this at the car show (not an EV):

And then immediately as we left the car park of the show, I saw another Tesla Model X and a Renault Zoe. No photos again, because driving.

Not bad for footling around village lanes.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 am

Driving home yesterday at a junction waved at a colleague I know from a neighbouring hospital trust in a brand new Tesla S. The car looked lovely in grey. Will have to ask him how he’s finding it.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Nipped to the shops this afternoon, and saw six Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) at various points. Two Tesla Model X's and one Model S. And a Renault Zoe.

Only managed a couple of pictures though Huey, soz!

ImageImage
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:37 pm

A car came past me this afternoon at a rate of knots barely making a sound, I assume it was an EV. BMW is all I know.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 pm

That poor Mini driver won’t be getting in.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am

Only two i3s on the way in to work this morning. Bit of a poor show.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Baby Huey @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:04 am

And there won't be any negativity about the supposedly rather underwhelming Fully Charged Live event. What a rotten name.
Baby Huey

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:10 am

Baby Huey wrote:And there won't be any negativity about .

Of course there will, you need a positive and a negative to complete an electric circuit, I'm here all week try the veal.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 am

Baby Huey wrote:And there won't be any negativity about the supposedly rather underwhelming Fully Charged Live event. What a rotten name.
I haven't heard about that at all. Didn't even know it was happening.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 am

I've given up taking pictures of EVs, the point of the thread was really to demonstrate that there are bloody loads of them. I'm happy that goal has been completed.

No doubt somebody may disagree, which is fine.
No doubt they won't let it go and move on, which isn't fine.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Baby Huey @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:I've given up taking pictures of EVs, the point of the thread was really to demonstrate that there are bloody loads of them. I'm happy that goal has been completed.

I wouldn't say 1 car in 200 was bloody loads.
Baby Huey

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm

Baby Huey wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:I've given up taking pictures of EVs, the point of the thread was really to demonstrate that there are bloody loads of them. I'm happy that goal has been completed.

I wouldn't say 1 car in 200 was bloody loads.

Everyone else does though.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Baby Huey @ Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Too good not to post.

Is 2018's EV sales slump just a bump in the road?

http://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news-an ... n-the-road

From an already very low base, EV orders are down by one third over the same period in 2017.
Baby Huey

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat