New arrival: Mclaren 570 Spider.

General car gossip.

Re: New arrival: Mclaren 570 Spider.

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:37 pm

I now know 2 people with McLarens. Picked YMB up from a friend’s house this morning and this was sat on the drive. I don’t know what model this is though as he was out.

DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:55 pm

That’s a 650S, I think, which is the one with the air brake.

Brake hard and the rear wing pops up to provide a bloody great air brake to assist. Quite cool.
Last edited by Greg66 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg66

Post by Strawman @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Until you're doing a full on aibrake stop and Jim driving behind in his Lada on crossplies with slightly dodgy brakes can't swerve around you.
Strawman

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:35 pm

I reckon if you’re going fast enough for the air brake to have an effect Jim in his Lada will be some distance behind you.

It has made me think though, I can’t remember the last time I saw a Lada, and I spend a lot of time in Luton !
DI Burnside

Post by Strawman @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:39 pm

They were all bought up (almost all) and re-exported back to Russia to be broken for parts, back when a tired Lada was worth £500-1000 they were worth a lot more than that in Russia.
Strawman

Post by Dirk @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Strawman wrote:They were all bought up (almost all) and re-exported back to Russia to be broken for parts, back when a tired Lada was worth £500-1000 they were worth a lot more than that in Russia.

Interesting, I didn't know that
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Strawman @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:49 pm

How many Left has about 100 still on UK roads at the end of 2018.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?page=1&q=Lada
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:56 pm

The guy who bought my house had a Lada Niva. He was working in Armenia before he came back to the UK and picked it up directly from the factory for about five grand. Drum brakes and if it rained hard it wouldn’t start.

thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:41 am

thekungfury wrote:The guy who bought my house had a Lada Niva. He was working in Armenia before he came back to the UK and picked it up directly from the factory for about five grand. Drum brakes and if it rained hard it wouldn’t start.

Quite the fall from grace for this thread.
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:38 am

It’s rarer than low eyes’ car
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:47 am

I quite like them. I wouldn't have one, obv. But I quite like them.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 am

DI Burnside wrote:I now know 2 people with McLarens. Picked YMB up from a friend’s house this morning and this was sat on the drive. I don’t know what model this is though as he was out.
]

You can try all you like, but you wont make me think my brilliant car is ordinary.
Turntable

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:37 am

Turntable wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:I now know 2 people with McLarens. Picked YMB up from a friend’s house this morning and this was sat on the drive. I don’t know what model this is though as he was out.
]

You can try all you like, but you wont make me think my brilliant car is ordinary.

Yours is made ordinary by your face.
DI Burnside

Post by Turntable @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:38 am

DI Burnside wrote:
Turntable wrote:
]

I don't think it was deliberate, but effectively you have just said my face is so amazing that even a McLaren 570 looks ordinary next to it. Thank you very much.
Turntable

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

Turntable wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:
Turntable wrote:
]

I don't think it was deliberate, but effectively you have just said my face is so amazing that even a McLaren 570 looks ordinary next to it. Thank you very much.

Ah, the old switcheroo.
DI Burnside

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:43 am

I agree Teets’ face is extraordinary
thekungfury

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 am

thekungfury wrote:I agree Teets’ face is extraordinary

Shouldn't there be a hyphen in that last word?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Turntable @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:48 pm

Heres a quick update on the car.
It remains brilliant. I keep it garaged in the week and get it out at weekends. Every time I open the garage door I absolutely love the sight of it. I still get a massive buzz from it.
It gets an unbelievable amount of attention particularly from kids. They are unabashed about it and will scream and wave at you as you drive past.
I love it immensely and I am very excited about trying it on a track day when it gets warmer.

It has one flaw, and the flaw could arguably be counted as several flaws. The flaw is that the electrics are beyond shit. Pretty much everything powered by the electrics is temperamental. The stereo (that was about a 5k option) has a loose wire so it periodically stops working except for every minute or so the connection briefly connects and you get that amp boom and then switches off again.
All the windows irrelevantly wind themselves down periodically and then wont wind full up. And then you have to stop the car and start it again. Or open the doors and close them.
THe alarm goes off irrelevantly and regularly
Every journey the warning alarm comes on to say that a tyre is flat. Not the same tyre but alternates between all the tires. Every journey. Several times. You can switch it to see what the actual tyre pressures are and they are all the same and fine, yet this warning siren just pics a random wheel to claim is deflated.
Erm, many many many other warnings have come up and then gone away after a while as though it has changed its mind.
It is comical and makes me laugh now but only because the car is still in warranty. If it wasn't I would hate this car so much. It would terrify the very cock off me.

But it is in warranty so fortunately it remains my favourite ever car by a country mile
Turntable

Post by Dirk @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:51 pm

Fcuking hell

Those electrics would be considered shit even on a TVR

And they set the benchmark for shit electrics
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Turntable @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Dirk wrote:Those electrics would be considered shit even on a TVR

I thought that.
I have no idea if my experience is synonymous with McLaren ownership and I don't even want to know, but considering how well made the car is and how brilliant every part of it that actually drives is, tied with how much effort they have put into designing the electrical systems I am really surprised.
Turntable

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Turntable wrote:Heres a quick update on the car.
It remains brilliant. I keep it garaged in the week and get it out at weekends. Every time I open the garage door I absolutely love the sight of it. I still get a massive buzz from it.
It gets an unbelievable amount of attention particularly from kids. They are unabashed about it and will scream and wave at you as you drive past.
I love it immensely and I am very excited about trying it on a track day when it gets warmer.

It has one flaw, and the flaw could arguably be counted as several flaws. The flaw is that the electrics are beyond shit. Pretty much everything powered by the electrics is temperamental. The stereo (that was about a 5k option) has a loose wire so it periodically stops working except for every minute or so the connection briefly connects and you get that amp boom and then switches off again.
All the windows irrelevantly wind themselves down periodically and then wont wind full up. And then you have to stop the car and start it again. Or open the doors and close them.
Every journey the warning alarm comes on to say that a tyre is flat. Not the same tyre but alternates between all the tires. Every journey. Several times. You can switch it to see what the actual tyre pressures are and they are all the same and fine, yet this warning siren just pics a random wheel to claim is deflated.
Erm, many many many other warnings have come up and then gone away after a while as though it has changed its mind.
It is comical and makes me laugh now but only because the car is still in warranty. If it wasn't I would hate this car so much. It would terrify the very cock off me.

But it is in warranty so fortunately it remains my favourite ever car by a country mile

This is a bit of a shame because your tale of McL electronics is consistent with others I have read. You have not yet been down the path of "it's been to the dealer under warranty, but they haven't been able to fix it/the problem has come back, so it's back in the dealer and been off the road for X weeks now". Which I hope you don't have to endure. But I would get that stuff looked at while the weather is too shit to enjoy it properly.
Greg66

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:37 pm

I'm sure you'll know a lot better than me, but I am pretty sure that in the USA, any track use invalidates the warranty, so maybe check that first.

Glad you're able to see past the niggles and enjoy the car though.
manfromdelmonte

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:40 pm

Turntable wrote:Heres a quick update on the car.

Your Maclaren is a rebadged 1970s Volvo!
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:24 pm

For something so reliant on electronics and made by such a fastidious company that’s shockingly bad.

Glad you’re still loving it though. What’s the fastest you’ve dared drive in it? In Germany, obv.
thekungfury

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:33 pm

I have no idea how you tolerate that, teets, especially with the car being so expensive and luxe.

Granted, my car is about as different as can be, what with it being a ten-year-old saab diesel, but I had an electric window fail (closed, fortunately) and I drove around in a state of quite unreasonable apoplectic rage until I got it fixed (for £40, and it stayed fixed :D)
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Sometimes the driver's window won't shut properly on my Shogun, so I sort of push it up with the palm of my hand while I'm pressing the 'window shut' button with the other hand.

Mostly it works fine though, but very occasionally not.

In mitigation, it is 23 years old, has 140,000 miles on it and cost less than £1500.

However, I also love it beyond reason every single time I drive it, and will be using it tomorrow so I can put some designer shoe racks in the back.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by minimoog @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 pm

CJ+ wrote:Granted, my car is about as different as can be, what with it being a ten-year-old saab diesel, but I had an electric window fail (closed, fortunately) and I drove around in a state of quite unreasonable apoplectic rage until I got it fixed (for £40, and it stayed fixed :D)

I was irked when the passenger side electric window packed in on my Jaaaag. Until I read that it was probably just confused after having been frozen shut and it just needed a particular combination of window switch presses to reset. Sure enough that worked and took all of 10s to sort out. Because it couldn't move due to being frozen it thought it was already down, so pressing the button to lower it was met with implacable refusal from the electronics. After teaching it that it was in fact shut it was happy to open again on command.

I suspect it was programmed by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
minimoog

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:55 pm

minimoog wrote:I suspect it was programmed by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

:like:
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 am

tanglerat wrote:Your Maclaren is a rebadged 1970s Volvo!

Bollocks is it, I've got one and it hasn't even got any of those things. What it is like is someone's read that thing about "if cars were like computers" and taken it as a blueprint.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Turntable @ Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:14 am

youre all right. I should hate the car for that. It is by far and away the most expensive car I have bought and I think I should be much more angry.

Greg, I assume exactly what you are saying will happen because the faults all go away after a while so they probably cant repeat them. Its weird how I just accept it. I don't know why but I just don't care.
Turntable

PreviousNext

Return to Car Chat