To new job or not to new job

A more tightly moderated area.

To new job or not to new job

Post by deev @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Just mulling this over as I've basically been asked if I'd be interested in a new job which would be outwith supermarkets but still in food retail. It'd be a lot more senior than my role with my current employer, more strategic, reporting to the director, which is all good. However, being a much smaller company than I'm with at present the pay is much the same as I'm on just now, which is decent money, not lambo buying cash but into the 40% bracket. With my current job I've another 3 years and 7.5K of guaranteed payrises to come even if I just stay at the same level I am just now so it'd be giving up a lot, company car if I want it etc etc.

However I still do a lot of donkey work in my current role too (it's why I'm not a fat bastard) and at a soon to be 35 years old with 4 knee surgeries and a list of serious sport related injuries as long as my arm that makes clicking noises I'd not be overly sad to not have to do that anymore. It'd be great to have a chance to do more strategic things and put them in place directly as opposed to what I do currently which is pass ideas onwards and upwards and maybe eventually they reach board level and something happens or it doesnt.

The other gamble is I have 11 years service at my current place so I'm pretty secure unless I do something stupid, we're about to open a massive new distribution center, my shops sales were up 22% last week and I've just given them the best inventory result the place has ever had. It's done so well they've just taken a bunch of my staff away to work in other stores which is great for the company and them career wise but makes my day to day job harder until I train up their replacements.

Hnng, I quite fancy a new challenge but I do like my current company, I certainly didnt think I'd ever have a house like I do etc so would it just be greedy to risk it all for a change that may not work? If there was 10k payrise on offer I'd be more inclined. /wondersallowed.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Re: To new job or not to new job

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 pm

What are your promotion prospects in your current role? (not just the cash you mention)
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:30 pm

I wouldn't do that.
If you are going for a more senior role in a smaller company you should be expecting more money, not similar money. Which probably in turn suggests that pay increases will be limited going forward. Effectively you will move and stall.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 pm

Turntable wrote:I wouldn't do that.
If you are going for a more senior role in a smaller company you should be expecting more money, not similar money. Which probably in turn suggests that pay increases will be limited going forward. Effectively you will move and stall.

Excellent points
Deuteronomy

Post by Cloggy @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 pm

I understand that you are in a fast growing company with lots of potential to move in your career.
I would not move for short term gain in so called 'status' without financial gains.

Stay were you are and if you are as good as you say you will be better off in the long term.
Cloggy

Post by deev @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Thats the thing my current role, store manager, is now essentially a rung above what it was when I started doing it, they've thinned out a lot of the chaff shall we say by putting us all through a big exam thing a year or so ago and given us payrises, cars etc. However, I live in Scotland where we have 93 stores and a pretty settled team these days, in order to progress upwards I'd likely need to go and take my medicine of a year or so in London, which, given the missus works here, has a better job than me and we have a lovely house we're not overly keen on doing that. We earn enough combined to give us a pretty decent lifestyle without the need to go there either, neither of us are exactly flashy spendthrift types either, I turned down an A3 for the cash instead and drive a 13 year old rusty hyundai so it's not like we desperately need more money.

But in 10 years time I could be doing the same as I'm doing just now, being 40 years old with a C.V. that show no progression in a decade whereas just now it's 5 years of being an grad trainee and then assistant manager and then 5 years as a store manager.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:44 pm

True, but, it'd allow me to add multi site experience and other more strategic things to my C.V. and whilst not gaining monetarily it could be a gain experience wise, do it for 5 years and move on again? There was a mention of a bonus but no specifics. I'd wager the pension wouldn't be as good though, plus we get all sorts of benefits, child care vouchers bought pre tax etc which might be handy in future.
deev
Banger King

Post by Cloggy @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:45 pm

Have you spoken to the management about your and their expectations.
Tell them you don't want to do the London thing and if they don't like it take the new job.
Cloggy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Exactly this. I don't know how this opportunity has come about but I find it baffling/a bit insulting/arrogant that companies will try and get people to move over to them on the same pay. A friend has just been all this at director level - the offer came out and it was what he's currently on. Makes no sense and gives an insight to their purse strings.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by desertweasel @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:49 pm

I would look VERY carefully at the finances of the new prospect, as well as financial health look carefully at whether they are likely to be a M&A target, I personally lost out after a merger that was great for the those holding options but meant that most of us the middle and senior managers ended up losing out to the buyers team as they moved the management to their HQ. A career in a fast rising small company will be especially vulnerable to this. Because of the dot com crash it took me years to get back to the level again.
desertweasel

Post by deev @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:10 pm

They could well be an MA target, there is a major player in their business area that is far far larger and they may even just squish them, however they do have expansion plans of their own which I'd be involved with so currently they seem healthy from a quick over view.

Another thing I should have mentioned, I currently have a 47.5 hour a week contract that involves a lot of weekend work and it's shifts. This new role would be more "normal" hours and my day wouldn't be adversely affected by someone pulling a sickie which at present often means working from 6am until 9pm humping shit around and getting no managerial stuff done.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

Exactly this. I don't know how this opportunity has come about but I find it baffling/a bit insulting/arrogant that companies will try and get people to move over to them on the same pay. A friend has just been all this at director level - the offer came out and it was what he's currently on. Makes no sense and gives an insight to their purse strings.

Its a LinkedIn thing, miles away from a job offer as yet, I've had a few offers like this recently though, this one caught my eye a bit more than usual though. I guess the company I currently work for doing so well has put us onto people's radars a bit more than previously.
deev
Banger King

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Don't kill it off, but deffo make sure that the basic package is better than what you have now, and that there's a clear roadmap for progression.

I've got a rule of thumb that it's literally not worth moving jobs (what with all the stress and uncertainty that goes with it) for less than about 20% upward increment.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Return to Serious Chat