How much would you ask for?

A more tightly moderated area.

How much would you ask for?

Post by MK4Slowride @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:21 am

We had a smart meter installed Friday 23rd March and in the course of this the engineer switched off our boiler. The boiler won’t switch back on as the thermal coupling has gone. They can’t fix it as they stopped making parts a few years ago and also they can’t touch it as the gas regulations have changed and practically nothing in my house now meet these regulations. This is clearly something they should’ve checked before undertaking the work. Also the engineer couldn’t get out the house quick enough once he realized. I had to figure it out once I got back from work.

It’s going to cost £3400+VAT to install a completely new system. Also we’ve been burning through £7-8 a day in electric as we’ve got fan heaters going to warm the place. Due to getting quotes for the work, waiting for parts and the Easter holidays delaying the start of work it’ll have been a good two weeks before it’s back up and running.

Needless to say it’s been chilly so my family and I have been cold at night, even my 28 month old has been sleeping in our bed.

I’m expecting a call from them Tuesday to sort things out. My question is how much would you ask for in compensation?
MK4Slowride

Re: How much would you ask for?

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:28 am

In all honesty, probably nothing, the boiler was fcuked already. Turning it off to install the new meter may have brought that expense forward for you, but it hasn't created a new one.

Sounds like a tough situation though, and if they offered me any money, I'd happily take it.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Dirk @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:02 am

I tend to agree with manfrom,

Whatever, remember to ask for it in discount of bill rather than cash. Companies will always give more in doscounts than they do in cash for compensation
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 am

I’m inclined to agree.

If your boiler (so old they don’t make spares for) won’t turn off/on without breaking then you can hardly blame anyone or go for a combo claim.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:09 am

Dirk wrote:I tend to agree with manfrom,

Whatever, remember to ask for it in discount of bill rather than cash. Companies will always give more in doscounts than they do in cash for compensation

How much do you think he would have been charged for a smart meter install? I've no Idea but would assume nothing.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Dirk @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:30 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Dirk wrote:I tend to agree with manfrom,

How much do you think he would have been charged for a smart meter install? I've no Idea but would assume nothing.

I meant discount off future bills
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:01 pm

It's a shit situation, but I don't think you've got any grounds for any compensation. You could ask for a gesture of goodwill.

But in your position I'd go in with a zero expectation, then anything else is a nice surprise.
CJ+

Post by MK4Slowride @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Yeah I kinda thought that might be the consensus. I’ll see if they’ll waive the bill for March and if I can get anything else then bonus. We would’ve replaced it at some point anyway as we’ve replaced pretty much everything else in this house. Just wasn’t part of my immediate plans. I hope that with my experience then they’ll warn other homeowners of this sort of situation occurring but won’t hold my breath.

The worst part is, I asked for the smart meter, I wasn’t even pushed to have one (yes they’re free). That’ll teach me for wanting to modernize my house. So I brought all this on myself. I’ll let you know what happens as it might be useful for someone.
MK4Slowride

Post by wi11iam @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 pm

If you can get them to discount a new boiler I think you’d getter better ‘margin’ as there’s profit in the boiler and the fitting at their disposal rather than cheap/free gas for a month.

But it probably depends if you’d trust them to touch anything in your house ever agaIn.
wi11iam

Post by deev @ Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Get a local gas guy round. Bet you a million quid he can fix it. The gas company guys always condemn them, a thermo couples a thermo couple.
Last edited by deev on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am

deev wrote:Get a local gas guy round. Bet you a million quid he can fix it. The gas company guys always condemn them, a thermo couples a thermo couple.

True, we've had them changed before but they don't make the part any more.

MK4 have you done an internet search for the part?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by moleamol @ Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Turntable @ Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 am

Although I generally agree with the sentiment everyone has expressed, there is no way I would let them get off too lightly.
Even if they have merely bought forward the inevitable, it is still a massive cnut for you that you suddenly have to fork out that much instantly due to them.
As someone else just said, the best line of attack is asking for them to fit you a new boiler at a massive discount. That's where you'll get the most 'compensation' as it doesn't actually cost them anything
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:43 am

Turntable wrote:As someone else just said, the best line of attack is asking for them to fit you a new boiler at a massive discount. That's where you'll get the most 'compensation' as it doesn't actually cost them anything

If it’s one of the big suppliers (assume so as a free smart meter) their boiler prices are ridiculous. A discount might only bring it down in line with an independent.
thekungfury

Return to Serious Chat