Anybody know anything about ecommerce websites?

A more tightly moderated area.

Anybody know anything about ecommerce websites?

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am

I do a little bit of making and selling hobby stuff on Facebook and have been encouraged to take it a bit further, get a bit more serious and see what happens. The first step is to switch to some sort of ecommerce website which would need to be a drag and drop type affair for an illITerate like me - ideally it would be something that could link with my Facebook page to make use of my existing traffic. The emphasis is on 'small' and 'hobby', so monthly fees need to be minimal.

Shopify probably looks like my favourite solution so far, but at £29 a month it's perhaps a slightly larger commitment than ideal at this stage. Not too much of a problem if it clearly is the best solution, but I'm not confident in my judgement.

Do any of you have any experience setting up such ecommerce websites, or can advise what to look for or make any recommendations?

Cheers. :)
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Re: Anybody know anything about ecommerce websites?

Post by Strawman @ Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Etsy provide an own brand website service for $15 / month

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000337067
Strawman

Post by foo @ Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:53 pm

I'd go with Etsy as well.

I've bought from Etsy before, someone from somewhere knitted a Kākāpō with the proceeds going to SIRCET. I'm glad the NZD50 went to a good charity, and I have a one-off knitted Kākāpō that lives in my bedroom. Excellent.
foo

Post by desertweasel @ Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Shopify is way more configurable than the basic Etsy though, I use it for clients, the number of very useful plugins and the ease of design makes it the tool of choice.

If you can justify it maybe build the business until it makes sense?
desertweasel

Post by Freddie @ Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:34 pm

foo wrote:I'd go with Etsy as well.

I've bought from Etsy before, someone from somewhere knitted a Kākāpō with the proceeds going to SIRCET. I'm glad the NZD50 went to a good charity, and I have a one-off knitted Kākāpō that lives in my bedroom. Excellent.

Confused, here. A knitted parrot?
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Strawman @ Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:23 pm

You mean you don't have one Freddie, shame.
Strawman

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

I note that Etsy seller fees are 4% + 20p for each transaction (UK) compared to 2.2% + 20p for Shopify for online sales and Shopify also lists a 1.7% fee for 'in person sales' which I will be able to do at some events during the year. Using my current typical monthly sales, the difference in fees will roughly halve the monthly subscription cost difference, so with a view to scaling up and the extra features that Shopify appear to offer, it looks like Shopify is probably the way to go.

Anybody used Go Daddy or Wix? They're the other ones which have been suggested to me and haven't been immediately dismissed by my uneducated research.
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Aesgarth @ Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Anybody used Go Daddy or Wix? They're the other ones which have been suggested to me and haven't been immediately dismissed by my uneducated research.

I use godaddy but only for domain registration, I use Servage for my hosting. They've both been excellent but that doesn't help you with the ecommerce side of things.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by foo @ Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Freddie wrote:Confused, here. A knitted parrot?

Yep, exactly that. It's only a small thing but really cute. I've been to Stewart Island a few times and we usually donate to the charity that looks after them while there.
foo

Post by Pigeon @ Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:Anybody used Go Daddy or Wix? They're the other ones which have been suggested to me and haven't been immediately dismissed by my uneducated research.

Godaddy have a long-term clue provision problem with correctly configuring SSL certificates, which causes browsers to barf because they can't verify it. They've been like this for several years and they haven't done a bloody thing to sort it. The search hits about it start with the very recent and go back to so old you're surprised to find it's the same problem until you get your head round the degree of cluelessness involved.

Wix is another name I associate with things never working for some fcuking stupid reason, but I don't come across it very often so I can't remember what.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by desertweasel @ Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 am

I use wix for sites for people who really don't know anything about sites, wordpress is more configurable but you need to know coding or have access to a coder to do the initial build.

Wix is really pretty easy and can make some great looking sites and there are plugins that help with ecommerce and hotel booking, I use it for our holiday cottage site and it works pretty well. What it doesn't do well though is connect to outside services so Hubspot and other CRM systems are tough to use and though there is a mail system it is limited.
desertweasel

Post by tanglerat @ Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:53 am

foo wrote:
Freddie wrote:Confused, here. A knitted parrot?

Yep, exactly that. It's only a small thing but really cute. I've been to Stewart Island a few times and we usually donate to the charity that looks after them while there.

You don't have to explain why you have one foo. Freddie needs to explain why he doesn't.

This is on Freddie not you.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Aesgarth @ Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:17 pm

desertweasel wrote:wordpress is more configurable but you need to know coding or have access to a coder to do the initial build.

My hosting service has an automatic WordPress installer, it's a one - click task.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Return to Serious Chat