Stem cell donation.

A more tightly moderated area.

Stem cell donation.

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:26 pm

I know and work with the family of this 6 year old and didn't realise till today what they're going through:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10350339/ ... ew-cancer/

Finley's the same age as my son and I can't imagine how they're feeling. It's made me register with https://www.dkms.org.uk/en to donate stem cells/marrow and I wondered if any of you have done it and how it went?
Tokyo Sexwale

Re: Stem cell donation.

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:46 pm

I wish I could, I'm not even allowed to give blood any more because I'm on anti-coagulants.

I think they should push this sort of thing more at medical appointments. Maybe hand out a leaflet listing everything you can donate or something.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Paul H @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:06 pm

I donated my own Stem cells. Clearly this doesn't work for everyone though :( I wonder what difference in my condition/circumstances made it possible and vice versa not so for others?
Paul H

Post by Firkin @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:12 pm

I'm no longer allowed to donate blood as I received a hefty amount 20 odd years ago before they screened it sufficiently. So I doubt I'd be allowed too :(
Last edited by Firkin on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firkin

Post by Turntable @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:54 pm

Firkin wrote:I'm no longer allowed to donate blood as I received a hefty amount 20 odd years ago before they screened it sufficiently. So I doubt I'd be allowed too :(

What?
Turntable

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Firkin wrote:I'm no longer allowed to donate blood as I received a hefty amount 20 odd years ago before they screened it sufficiently. So I doubt I'd be allowed too :(

There's a little checker on the site that you can look at to see if you're provisionally suitable:
I don't know your health background or BMI but regarding the transfusion:

"Blood transfusion - Receiving a blood transfusion may not stop you from registering as a potential blood stem cell donor. If you received a transfusion following a one-off loss of blood during pregnancy/childbirth or after the trauma you are fine to register. If you received a transfusion because of a different medical condition, please email us with details about the condition. Regardless of the reason for the transfusion, if it took place outside of Europe, Australia or North America, just let us know by emailing: donor@dkms.org.uk."
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Turntable @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:59 pm

How awful. I got to this bit: "Following a search of the worldwide register, a perfect match was identified but then the donor withdrew consent a few weeks ago." I wondered what on earth the story there is.
Im absolutely overcome with curiosity.
Just registered and was pleased to pass their stringent medical criteria
Turntable

Post by Strawman @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:13 pm

I registered with them a few years ago (5?), they said you a thing to swab your cheeks with and then contact you when they have a close match, nothing so far.
Strawman

Post by S1K @ Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:03 pm

I registered when I was giving blood once. Never been called though, nor for jury duty either.
S1K

Post by GingerNinja @ Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 am

Thanks in advance to anyone that donates. I had a transplant back in 2013 and was fortunate enough that one of my sisters was a match, but they had also found a number of potential matches in the DB. They always need donors.

If you are required to donate, the process of collecting your stem cells is quite straightforward; for a few days prior to donation, you’ll have a daily injection that gets the body overproducing the stem cells. Then on donation day, you sit down and are hooked up to a machine that extracts your blood, takes out the stem cells, then puts it back in again. This will take a few hours though.

And that’s about it. You could be saving a life.
GingerNinja

Return to Serious Chat