Giving up smoking

A more tightly moderated area.

Giving up smoking

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Well after 25 years with only a few shortish breaks I'm doing it for good. I've just gone my first full day without one and actually feel quite good, although physically I'm a wreck thanks to what feels like a stinking cold. Apparently this id down to my body clearing itself of toxins amd side effects of the tablets I'm taking.

Anyone else doing it at the moment ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:34 pm

Be strong. When the craving comes it's powerful.

I've been off the cigs for four years or so. It was a good decision for me.

Watch out - nicotine is an appetite suppressant and it's very easy to put on weight because you'll be hungry all the time. Drink lots of water to fend off the pangs.

The best advice I can give for managing the craving is to always have something to do. Boredom is your biggest enemy.

From a personal perspective I found that (after many attempts) that I successfully stopped smoking (deliberate choice of words - I didn't "give up" anything) only when I was truly, deeply wanting to do so.

Here's an interesting thing I found:

Edit: I found that when I was looking for this.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:43 pm

Well for the time being I'm on NiQuitin CQ lozenges, they're a big help. I'm pleased to say I'm not using anywhere near the advised amount and yet I have not particularly craved a smoke.

I'm very positive about it this time. I'm not getting any younger, my Dad died at 50 of an MI at 50 and Mum has angina and asthma so, despite a recent MOT showing I'm in pretty good health, the signs for the future weren't good.

I'd like to stick around for the wife and 4 kids too so there's a hell of ancentive right there :D

[PH mode]Even better, she says if I do it I can have a new bike next year[/PH mode]
DI Burnside

Post by Strangely Brown @ Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:16 pm

The key to giving up smoking is nothing more than the genuine desire to do so. If you really want it enough then you'll do it, easily. If you don't really want to give up, then you'll struggle and probably fail.

I gave up about 5 or so years ago now (lost count), cold turkey, no aides, and have never looked back. I can smell things, food tastes better (my weight agrees with that) and I smell better.

I'm not a rabid anti-smoking ex-smoker but I do find that the smell of someone who has just been "out for a fag" quite repulsive now. I can smell it on someone from quite a distance away and I find it quite embarrassing to think that I used to smell that way myself.

Good luck to anyone who tries to quit, just make sure that it's what you really want and you'll get there.
Strangely Brown

Post by Turntable @ Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:54 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Turntable

Post by Cloggy @ Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 am

blindswelledrat wrote:Well done and keep it up.

Has anyone tried these new prescription drugs at all?
My sister is on them and she says they make her forget about smoking and not really want to.

If you mean Champix, yes I tried it.
Stopped smoking on the 14th November, you need to take Champix for about 16 weeks but I stopped taking the pils after 6 weeks because I could not sleep.
They work well though and this is the first time that given up smoking was easy.
Still weed free.
Cloggy

Post by Fidgits @ Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:13 am

I quite a few years ago - read Alan carrs book (by accident actually - didnt mean to give up - just curious)... havent had a cig since...

I found NRT didn't help, as you will still hooked on the nicotene - but then different ways work for different people - so go with what works for you..
Fidgits

Post by K* @ Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:26 pm

blindswelledrat wrote:Well done and keep it up.

Has anyone tried these new prescription drugs at all?
My sister is on them and she says they make her forget about smoking and not really want to.

Zyban actually changed my tastes, I actually found it made smoking taste different, disgusting even and I just couldn't continue to smoke, it was really weird as I didn't even want to give up - it's the only time I've given up that I've actually not wanted to go back and smoke again. For anyone thinking of using them, they are actually anti-depressants though.
K*

Post by Roady @ Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:The key to giving up smoking is nothing more than the genuine desire to do so. If you really want it enough then you'll do it, easily. If you don't really want to give up, then you'll struggle and probably fail.

I gave up about 5 or so years ago now (lost count), cold turkey, no aides, and have never looked back. I can smell things, food tastes better (my weight agrees with that) and I smell better.

I'm not a rabid anti-smoking ex-smoker but I do find that the smell of someone who has just been "out for a fag" quite repulsive now. I can smell it on someone from quite a distance away and I find it quite embarrassing to think that I used to smell that way myself.

Good luck to anyone who tries to quit, just make sure that it's what you really want and you'll get there.

I am too dumb to hold an opinion very well put and mirrors what I did /do/think to a tee.
Roady

Post by MK4Slowride @ Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:00 pm

I've given up smoking on Wednesday 27th Feb 2008 after a good 10 years of 20 odd smokes a day. I'm not on patches or gum as I do have an addictive nature so doing it the hard way. It's not that bad (yet?) not been a week though but I'm keeping off and am very pleased with myself so far. I've just bought a new flat that I'm yet to move into and I don't want it turning out like my other flats have, a stinking pub type ashtray. I've got my Xbox to keep my mind of it and eating lots is good as I could do with putting on a bit of weight. Will keep you lot informed!
MK4Slowride

Post by justnotsure @ Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:54 pm

I gave up on the first of Feb, so only a month in but for the first time ever I actually don't want a cig where in the past I have tried to give up and been gagging for one within a day or two.

I am not sure what has changed, but this is the first time I have attempted to quit since I became a dad four years ago.

Any way to all you guys and gals who are trying and winning well done and don't look back. :D
justnotsure

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:59 am

I keep thinking I should quit and yesterday was on a 7 hour flight so thought that would be the ideal opportunity to stop. Landed and didn't smoke outside the airport, got a cab to the apartment I'm staying in and after 1 hour lit up. :oops: :cry:

I was a bit disappointed with myself, but I knew that I didn't /don't really want to quit and I think you must really want to quit.
However I am going to try again tomorrow, maybe I can try to take some inspiration from all you giving up on here. Hopefully
Bodhi

Post by mrv @ Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:09 am

Another one here who tried Champix ,had tried Zaban in the past and went back to the weed 6 months after ,Champix seemed to work in a totally different way and it was only a shit down turn in my life that sent me reaching for the fags again ,still will be trying again in April and determined to kick it this time
mrv

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am

I got through my first weekend with no real problems. A couple of times I had a small urge to have one but it was more than countered by my determination not to have one. The lozenges are helping too but I'm wary of relying on them so I'm using them as littel as possible.

I've already noticed a marked improvement in my breathing :D
DI Burnside

Post by Snoggledog @ Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:59 pm

crikey wrote:I got through my first weekend with no real problems. A couple of times I had a small urge to have one but it was more than countered by my determination not to have one. The lozenges are helping too but I'm wary of relying on them so I'm using them as littel as possible.

I've already noticed a marked improvement in my breathing :D
:thumbup: Good on ya.

Wish I could do the same. :(
Snoggledog

Highscores: 4

Post by Ayahuasca @ Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:03 pm

I never had a problem giving up smoking, it was easy, I just substituted it with furious masturbating. Of course, that post-coital furious wank can be a bit trying and I was asked to leave a restaurant once.
Ayahuasca

Re: Giving up smoking

Post by MK4Slowride @ Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Still quit, haven't touched one since.
MK4Slowride

Re:

Post by Charlie Foxtrot @ Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 pm

MB27 wrote:I keep thinking I should quit and yesterday was on a 7 hour flight so thought that would be the ideal opportunity to stop. Landed and didn't smoke outside the airport, got a cab to the apartment I'm staying in and after 1 hour lit up. :oops: :cry:

I was a bit disappointed with myself, but I knew that I didn't /don't really want to quit and I think you must really want to quit.
However I am going to try again tomorrow, maybe I can try to take some inspiration from all you giving up on here. Hopefully

thats my problem, i can go for a few hours without a smoke if i can't escape, but the moment i can i light up. my cravings get really bad to the point that i can't concentrate untill i have one. at the moment i don't have the will power to give up, probably because i enjoy a good smoke, so any thing like what you tried would end the same way for me.

one day i wil give up, but not today.
Charlie Foxtrot

Re:

Post by Fidgits @ Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:12 pm

MB27 wrote:I keep thinking I should quit and yesterday was on a 7 hour flight so thought that would be the ideal opportunity to stop. Landed and didn't smoke outside the airport, got a cab to the apartment I'm staying in and after 1 hour lit up. :oops: :cry:

I managed to quit without really meaning to - the missues had left Alan Carrs book lying around and I picked it up just out of interest and havent had a cigarette since... and that was over 4 years ago..
Fidgits

Re:

Post by oldbanger @ Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Fidgits wrote:I found NRT didn't help, as you will still hooked on the nicotene - but then different ways work for different people - so go with what works for you..

I found the same with NRT - I had several years of quit attempts.

Then I tried Zyban. Made me as angry as hell, but it worked. 2 years on I still don't miss them.
oldbanger

Re:

Post by Turntable @ Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Turntable

Post by Towie @ Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Almost a year now.
Towie

Re: Re:

Post by Marki @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:34 pm

oldbanger wrote:Then I tried Zyban. Made me as angry as hell, but it worked. 2 years on I still don't miss them.

I have a pack of Zyban , the list of side affects is as long as your arm

So they made you angry ? how angry ???
Marki

Post by Kermit @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:37 pm

Marki wrote:So they made you angry ? how angry ???

THIS ANGRY, ALL RIGHT??? :wink:
Kermit

Post by Marki @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:58 pm

Kermit Power wrote:

:mrgreen: I have heard this before ,, thats why i dont fancy taking them
Marki

Post by oldbanger @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Kermit Power wrote:

hmm, no, probably slightly angrier
oldbanger

Post by Kermit @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:19 pm

oldbanger wrote:hmm, no, probably slightly angrier

Sadly, our beloved forum won't let us get angrier than 200 point text size. I know, because I tried to edit it manually!
Kermit

Post by Isaac Hunt @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:08 pm

About 15 years here

Still get the odd "I fancy a fag"

When I gave up I cut out all the smoking associations. I loved a ciggie with a cup of coffee. Stopped drinking coffee and drank tea. It was years before I started to drink coffee again.
Isaac Hunt

Post by Kermit @ Fri May 28, 2010 10:35 pm

So then Crikey, how did it go in the end? Still off the weed?
Kermit

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri May 28, 2010 10:54 pm

Holt thread resurrection Kermit !

I failed as far as this thread goes, but had another go in November last year. Got up one Saturday morning, had the last one in the packet and thought that'd do me. I've not touched one since :)

Put on a few pounds but feel much better for it, and I seem to have loads more cash ! This summer is the summer of diet and exercise.....

CF, who said on this thread he would have a go at some point, stopped a week before me. I hope he's kept it up too.
DI Burnside

Next

Return to Serious Chat