What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Barbarianna wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Ear worm, you fcuker!

That is a great earworm, and you should be thankful. Great for gardening in particular.

See also REM's "Its the end of the world as we know it, And I feel fine.."

NB it's a pity that the keyboard doesn't have a melody symbol (quaver?) readily available to put alongside any choon lyricz. A massive omission, come to think of it.

I don't know the words to ITEOTWAWKI but it doesn't prevent me from mumbling along in rhythm.

thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Andy T Archer @ Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:31 am

Spider-Man Homecoming

Move along please. Nothing to see here.

Made no sense to me whatsoever.

Only bearable as I had M+M`s and Minstrels mixed in with my popcorn.

Best bit was the trailer thing at the end after the credits. This made me smile.
Andy T Archer

Post by Strawman @ Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 am

Baby Driver, I was lured into seeing this by the claim 'you have to see this on a big screen' but I'm not convinced, it's reasonable enough, but far less car chase action than I was hoping, a bit meh in the end, I'm slightly puzzled by the rave reviews. 6/10
Strawman

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 am

The final Hunger Games film on Netflix.

Was bored within about 10 minutes. Stuck it out to see the end. Didn't care.

ETA: it was the zombies in the sewer that did it. fcuking ridiculous.
Last edited by CJ+ on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:33 am

The Girl On The Train, because wife's choice. More interesting and Gone Girl-y than I anticipated, but still mostly a study of several unlikeable characters.

Emily Blunt does a good bad drunk, partway through the film we paused it and I asked my wife "are we supposed to feel sympathy for her here and concerned about what she might have discovered? Or is she just a horrible selfish alky making trouble for everyone, because that's what I'm getting".

She couldn't answer.

It was enjoyable enough in the end, though a slippery one to actually care about. It was also more grown up than I'd been expecting, but essentially another unremarkable thriller. I've already had to strive quite hard just to think how it ended, and I only watched it on Friday.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Barbarianna @ Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Lost City of Z

Meandering drivel. Like this review will be.
The title suggests an Amazonian adventure with a big budget, which ought to deliver fresher, more original licks than the already excellent past films along this theme.

But no. Turns out to be a biopic about a forgotten British military explorer who ships in and out of the place on a number of increasingly dull occasions. He leaves his wife and kids behind and they grow up with plenty of angry/sad face action that gets more Dallas with time. There is praise aplenty online for the actors performance- Charlie Hunnam. But I found him totally robotic.

The film buffs liked it though I suppose they watched it for the portrayal of emotions and travails that beset such a story. But it turned the amazon into a boring old bush afaik.
Barbarianna

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:The Girl On The Train, because wife's choice. More interesting and Gone Girl-y than I anticipated, but still mostly a study of several unlikeable characters.

Emily Blunt does a good bad drunk, partway through the film we paused it and I asked my wife "are we supposed to feel sympathy for her here and concerned about what she might have discovered? Or is she just a horrible selfish alky making trouble for everyone, because that's what I'm getting".

She couldn't answer.

It was enjoyable enough in the end, though a slippery one to actually care about. It was also more grown up than I'd been expecting, but essentially another unremarkable thriller. I've already had to strive quite hard just to think how it ended, and I only watched it on Friday.

I wanted to see this after reading the book, but I thought the film was wholly disappointing, and there was a lot which didn't make any sense at all unless you'd read the book.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by mmm-five @ Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Barbarianna wrote:Lost City of Z

Fell asleep twice, on successive attempts to watch it all the way through.

After the 3rd & final attempt, I was successful, but was left feeling 'meh'.
mmm-five

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:30 pm

I just feel asleep watching the Jack Palance Treasure Island with the children. They enjoyed it though.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by deev @ Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:14 am

Spiderman. Boring, by the numbers Marvel flick that doesn't have a proper origin story this time but is still essentially the same as all the other ones, Hero discovers power, gets too cocky and gets knocked down a bit, finds inner peace, gets back into it but now with added maturity, beats identikit baddy at the end.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 am

Deuteronomy wrote:I watched the first John Wick last night, good and just preposterous enough.

We watched this last night. It's awful but I enjoyed it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 am

I saw 'Get Out' over the weekend. It's ok - the plot is like something from a (good) Hammer House-style film from the 1970s and you should spot the 'twist' from a mile off. I imagine that if you're American it plays well to the current zeitgeist of racial tension and that might excuse some of the (IMHO) misplaced hype around what is essentially just a standard horror/dark-thriller film. 6/10
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:08 pm

I think I might have just accidentally watched a romantic comedy, but I'm not sure. It was a film about a young woman and the beginnings of her relationship with a bloke she's set up on a blind date with by her friend, so there's some rommonce. And it was definitely funny because I did several out-loud laughs at it. It was called The Incredible Jessica James, and I really enjoyed it - whatever it is.

Jessica James is a playwright struggling to get her stuff recognised. She is forthright and loud and confident, and she is brilliantly written and performed by Jessica Williams in a way that makes her attractive and fun, even as she's being bossy and argumentative and arrogant. The divorced guy she starts a fledgling relsationship wih is played by Chris O'Dowd, ergo funny. I liked the film a lot. I liked how it feels loose and true and sort-of ramshackle, while at the same time being really tightly assembled. A neat trick.

Watch it and tell me if I'm right.

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:31 pm

I just checked out the trailer on NF and, well, I don't know Datho, it looks all kinds of awful.
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Oh Dowd is tedious.
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 am

shrug!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:55 am

Imagine this scenario: an awful geek (you know the sort - leather trenchcoat, fedora, pubely bum fluff, Games Workshop carrier bag clenched sweatily in his hand with some anime dvds inside, probably a t shirt with a Weyland Yutani logo on it) starts telling a gratingly awful joke he's made up. Despite vocal discouragement he continues regardless, oblivious to the growing annoyance of listeners to the catastrophic lack of funniness, the joke becoming more crass and ill-thought and offensive as it rumbles endlessly on. Everyone in earshot is impatiently furious waiting for the joke to end, but it doesn't. The terrible nerd ploughs on and on, and then suddenly the joke end and he rushes away. Listeners are left simultaneously relieved and dumbfounded; what's happened here? What was this about? How could any joke be so crashingly unfunny? How could the teller be so oblivious? And yet: thank heavens it's simply over now.

That joke is Machete Kills

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:11 am

I quite enjoyed it, in a mindless disposable kind of way. I'll never watch it again, of course.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:37 am

Tomorrowland. George Clooney (I like George Clooney) and some girls in fun science fiction. No spaceships or aliens, but robots and jetpacks. Alright, with some nice visuals and ideas (directed by Brad Bird) although it lost its grip on what it was doing a bit towards the end. Clooney terrific as always, and here a little grumpier than usual.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by chinkypig @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:24 am

Phoenix Forgotten, an interesting little mockumentary about the (fictitious) dissapearance of three teens investigating the (factual) mysterious light formations over their home town during the mid nineties. Uses actual news footage with newly shot material and although it's pretty late to the found footage party I'd say it's a solid 7/10.
chinkypig

Post by deev @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:41 pm

Dunkirk, bloody fab.

Minor gripe, there doesn't seem to much sense of the scale of it all, not enough wee boats and not enough people on the beaches. Flipping good though, also, Harry Styles character isn't one I'd have expected a boy band type to go for, he isn't dreadful in it either.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by spast1kunt @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:15 pm

deev wrote:Dunkirk, bloody fab.

Minor gripe, there doesn't seem to much sense of the scale of it all, not enough wee boats and not enough people on the beaches. Flipping good though, also, Harry Styles character isn't one I'd have expected a boy band type to go for, he isn't dreadful in it either.

This is the one film that's tempting me to go to the cinema for the first time in twenty years or so.
spast1kunt

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:19 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I think I might have just accidentally watched a romantic comedy, but I'm not sure. It was a film about a young woman and the beginnings of her relationship with a bloke she's set up on a blind date with by her friend, so there's some rommonce. And it was definitely funny because I did several out-loud laughs at it. It was called The Incredible Jessica James, and I really enjoyed it - whatever it is.

Jessica James is a playwright struggling to get her stuff recognised. She is forthright and loud and confident, and she is brilliantly written and performed by Jessica Williams in a way that makes her attractive and fun, even as she's being bossy and argumentative and arrogant. The divorced guy she starts a fledgling relsationship wih is played by Chris O'Dowd, ergo funny. I liked the film a lot. I liked how it feels loose and true and sort-of ramshackle, while at the same time being really tightly assembled. A neat trick.

I hate you for bringing this to my attention.

This is rom-com by the numbers. Superficial slushy nonsense and while I agree the lead is very watchable, the sheer banality of the rest of it renders it instantly forgettable.

4/10

fcuk you Netflix.

ETA since when did we get a swear filter?!
Last edited by GingerNinja on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Dirk @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:21 pm

All the reviews and everything I've heard have been very positive about this.

So I may have to give it a miss.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:53 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I think I might have just accidentally watched a romantic comedy, but I'm not sure. It was a film about a young woman and the beginnings of her relationship with a bloke she's set up on a blind date with by her friend, so there's some rommonce. And it was definitely funny because I did several out-loud laughs at it. It was called The Incredible Jessica James, and I really enjoyed it - whatever it is.

I hate you for bringing this to my attention.

This is rom-com by the numbers. Superficial slushy nonsense and while I agree the lead is very watchable, the sheer banality of the rest of it renders it instantly forgettable.

4/10

fcuk you Netflix.

ETA since when did we get a swear filter?!
Sorry!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Hooli @ Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:07 pm

Dirk wrote:

All the reviews and everything I've heard have been very positive about this.

So I may have to give it a miss.

How about this for a review that finds faults - https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 482574001/

PC Idiot wrote:the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way.

Nothing to do with the fact there were a dozen nurses & four Indian Mule teams meaning you don't see any women or non-whites as there was virtually none of either there, obviously just done to rub you the wrong way.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 am

I watched Live By Night and quite enjoyed it, but I don't have much in the way of critical filters so I expect everyone else hated it.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:13 pm

I watched Mechanic: Resurrection last night. It's the Stath.

I quite enjoyed the first one, despite it being absolute balls and I have to say, the sequel delivered the goods. I had no idea it even existed until it popped up on Netflix but it was sufficiently Boys Own to entertain for an hour and a half.

Basically retired Super-assassin, Stath, is kicking back in Rio, living on his boat when a shadowy figure from his past tracks him down for one last job...

What follows is a pretty predictable tour of exotic locations, explosions and 'slotting' of baddies. Key to the success of this sort of film is of course that the main character uses lots of really nice kit that you want to buy and own and this delivers on that front. He wears nice watches, listens to records on nice turntables and uses nice diving equipment, climbing equipment and so on. He even uses my very own spearfishing fins whilst chilling on a beach in Thailand with Jessica Alba, the shit. Makes me think I could probably impress Alba as well, if she saw the cut of my fins.

Anyway, it's totally not as bad as astright to Netflix Stath-a-thon ought to be so there.

Half of whatever's available.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 pm

Disagree. I thought it was rubbish, and I heart The Stath.

Damien Thorn wrote:Two:

The Mechanic: Resurrection - which is a Stath sequel to the Stath original which is a remake of a Charles Bronson original original. It's rubbish. It looks like the first Stath film and sounds like the first Stath film, but everything has that weird Eurocheapness you can feel in DTStreaming sequels. It's the sort of film that ought to have Danny Trejo in it, except he's not in it. I fell asleep towards the end, and realised because the end made no sense. So I rewound it and watched the end again. It made no sense. 3
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Disagree. I thought it was rubbish, and I heart The Stath.

Damien Thorn wrote:Two:

The Mechanic: Resurrection - which is a Stath sequel to the Stath original which is a remake of a Charles Bronson original original. It's rubbish. It looks like the first Stath film and sounds like the first Stath film, but everything has that weird Eurocheapness you can feel in DTStreaming sequels. It's the sort of film that ought to have Danny Trejo in it, except he's not in it. I fell asleep towards the end, and realised because the end made no sense. So I rewound it and watched the end again. It made no sense. 3

And I thought it looked like it actually had enough spent on it to not look like Eurocheap like all of Seagal's recent output.

I didn't fall asleep though, so am a much more reliable narrator. Also, Tommy Lee Jones and Jessica Alba and the Chinese bird from Bond. BIG cast. BIG!

And lots of the film reminded me of that level on Goldeneye on the boat.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club