What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 am

I forgot to tell you about a couple of films:

Ghostbusters, the new one that's made of ladies. It was alright; reasonably funny but not hilarious. Not a travesty or a crime against nostalgia. Chris Hemsworth is also an excellent comedy actor - his performance made me want to rewatch all the Thor films to see what subtle stuff he'd actually sneaked into them.

And also Veronica, the supposedly scariest film ever that had the internet's knickers in a twist. It's alright, pretty decent acting, clichéd story but interesting enough. And frankly we just don't see as many sinister blind nuns as we should do these days, so that's to be applauded.

Is it the scariest film ever? No, of course not. Is it genuinely scary at all? Not especially - there are a couple of jumps, but that's not fear that's surprise. There's no real dead or tension, but a reasonable tense atmos pervades things.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:34 am

I always watch films well after they've come out so I'm a bit behind the times but I just recently saw Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri and loved it. Great acting, a good script and surprising twists.

I also saw Darkest Hour and while I can see why Gary Oldman got the best actor Oscar I thought the rest of the film was well below the standard of his acting. Too much expositional dialogue, too many 2D characters and that ludicrous scene of Churchill going in a tube train to talk to the commoners. I actually fast-forwarded through most of that because I knew how much it would annoy me.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 am

Agree about the tube bit.

I thought his secretary was well acted though (and overlooked)
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:51 am

Cargo - Martin Freeman Netflix zombie film.

It was pretty enjoyable, nothing earth shattering and more about a fathers struggle to protect his child than actual zombies.

Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 am

Three posts ago I liked that a lot less than you.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:34 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Three posts ago I liked that a lot less than you.

It was dissapointing, but then they based a full length film on a short.

It was just a bit dull and meh, not terrible but not interesting either. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did...
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Avengers infinity war today. Kids loved it, I was meh. 5.
Käsemeister

Post by Strawman @ Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 am

The Death of Stalin, from the mind of Armando Iannucci, 6 out of 10. Funny in parts but that whole epoch is so horrific I'm not sure applying the thick of it type dialogue really worked for me, stellar cast though and worth seeing it for their interactions alone
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:19 am

The Greasy Strangler. A father and son team of tour guides vie for the love of a beautiful woman, while a hideous murderer is at large in their community.

The Greasy Strangler is nuts. I watch all sorts of films, and this feels like one of a kind. It also feels like exactly the sort of film that critics like to say "you either love it or hate it!" about, with it's wilful peculiarity and repetitive dialogue, endless fart jokes, grotesque nudity and relentless shit synth score. Except I don't know whether I really liked it or really didn't like it. I think this might be what nonplussed feels like.

The atmosphere is something akin to a television programme for very small children, Tellytubbies or something, with constant simplistic repeated phrases and images mirrored and echoed throughout, and yet equally it is very far from children's viewing - unless you want small children to see graphic wanking and oral sex, monstrous lolling penises and a man's head punched inside out. And I do not want small children to see that.

The film batters you with inanity until you are brutalised into submission, but I think it might actually be a comedy. I really just don't know. There is one see-sawing synth riff repeated throughout the score that pries it's way into your head even as you try to resist, making you wonder if you might actually be being brainwashed into a different frame of reference. The entire soundtrack is a bananas combo of sleazy disco parps and gurgling electronica that suits the addled visuals down to the ground.

Here is a short scene, see what you think -

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_MYuorOdfw

I don't know.

I can't give it a score because I can't tell yet if I liked it. Ten years ago I think I would have been imploring you to watch it as the cultiest soon-to-be cult film ever, but maybe now I'm just bewilderedly wondering "who comes up with this stuff?"

I certainly kept me interested. Or maybe I mean trapped.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm

I watched Hereditary last night.
Its a new horror that has received rave reviews and is billed as the new Exorcist.
All in all a well-done horror film. Nothing particularly original about it but good cast, characters and storyline lifted it above the usual dross.
Still not quite sure why the rave reviews.
6.5/10 for me.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:48 pm

I watched the new all female Ghostbusters the other night, was better than I expected (after the hammering it got) and a few actual lols.

Did not deserve all the negative press.

Deuteronomy

Post by Freddie @ Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:08 pm

McQueen.

Fascinating, briiliant and very sad in equal measures. So much talent so little belief in himself.

8.5/10
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:41 am

Turntable wrote:I watched Hereditary last night.
Its a new horror that has received rave reviews and is billed as the new Exorcist.
All in all a well-done horror film. Nothing particularly original about it but good cast, characters and storyline lifted it above the usual dross.
6.5/10 for me.

Really want to see this too, as you would expect. I'm slightly confounded by the gushing reviews, and I was wondering whether it was a case of people not expecting a horror film to actually be any good, so they can't cope with one that is. Similarly with that Spanish film, Veronica - "scariest film ever!!!", except of course it isn't.

And I forgot to mention that I'd watched The Colony, which is a post apocalyptic drama about survivors eking out a meagre, near-starving existence in a bunker under the now-snowy wasteland of Earth. It's worthy and earnest with Laurence (don't call me Larry!) Fishburne leading his serious-faced people as they try to breed rabbits for food and save seeds in case things thaw. About halfway through the film, it takes a massive left turn though, which I didn't see coming, and stops being about bickery infighting and starts being very different indeed.

I liked it a lot more than I'd expected to, and I had expected to quite like it. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be and it grew effectively more tense and exciting as it shuffled along. 6.6
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:34 am

I watched (or tried to) Huntsman Winters War last week. What an endless load of balls, I kept falling asleep and couldn't finish it.

Don't Breathe last night. Everso good, more later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 am

Turntable wrote:I watched Hereditary last night.
6.5/10 for me.

Watched this last night. I thought it was, ummm. poor.

First I thought it came across more as a psychological thriller than a horror film (Mrs 66 thought the opposite but I agreed with myself that she's wrong). Which wasn't the film the trailer portrayed.

Secondly, it was a bit clumsy in the execution. Several scenes were too long - I assumed in an effort to build tension, but it didn't really work. I ended up getting impatient for something to happen rather than increasingly anxious at what might happen.

4/10 from me, Craig Revel Horwood for the day.
Greg66

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:52 am

We finally watched 3 Billboards at the weekend. Everything about it is glorious. The dialogue, the acting, the humour, the darkness, the simplicity, the twists, the originality.

I’d seen gushing reviews and was worried it would disappoint but I absolutely loved it. Actors subtly acting the shit out of every scene.

thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Turntable @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 pm

thekungfury wrote:We finally watched 3 Billboards at the weekend. Everything about it is glorious. The dialogue, the acting, the humour, the darkness, the simplicity, the twists, the originality.

I’d seen gushing reviews and was worried it would disappoint but I absolutely loved it. Actors subtly acting the shit out of every scene.

Well described. I wish I hadn't seen it so I could watch it again for the first time.
For some reason I haven't the slightest inclination to watch it again despite it being so brilliant
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Greg66 wrote:[Secondly, it was a bit clumsy in the execution. Several scenes were too long - I assumed in an effort to build tension, but it didn't really work. I ended up getting impatient for something to happen rather than increasingly anxious at what might happen.

Agree with that completely. After about 20 minutes I thought it was utter shit and the only reason I didn't leave was that I knew it must get better to have got the reviews it did.
Still maintain it was a decent enough horror thereafter and I think your 4/10 is very miserly
Turntable

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Turntable wrote:
Greg66 wrote:[Secondly, it was a bit clumsy in the execution. Several scenes were too long - I assumed in an effort to build tension, but it didn't really work. I ended up getting impatient for something to happen rather than increasingly anxious at what might happen.

Agree with that completely. After about 20 minutes I thought it was utter shit and the only reason I didn't leave was that I knew it must get better to have got the reviews it did.
Still maintain it was a decent enough horror thereafter and I think your 4/10 is very miserly

If you're going to argue I will remark it down to a 3!

Thought the son got off pretty lightly for the mid film "incident". And frankly I think I would have moved house at some point during that lot. Perhaps even moved state.

Scariest bit was the chase up the stairs, because everyone knows that having someone tapping your heels as you sprint up stairs is scary as scary can be.
Greg66

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Turntable wrote:
thekungfury wrote:We finally watched 3 Billboards at the weekend. Everything about it is glorious. The dialogue, the acting, the humour, the darkness, the simplicity, the twists, the originality.

Well described. I wish I hadn't seen it so I could watch it again for the first time.
For some reason I haven't the slightest inclination to watch it again despite it being so brilliant

I'm so happy! I bought this on dvd and I'm waiting to see it.
Shame about it not being a keeper though.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:53 pm

I really enjoyed 3 billboards yet can’t remember anything about it at all!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by S1K @ Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:32 pm

I saw Sicario for the first time last night. Dark, believable, decent acting, a good twist. What's not to like,
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • apart from children being shot
?
S1K

Post by chinkypig @ Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:50 am

Geostorm.

Preposterously wonderful cheesefest which seemed like a mash up of The Day After Tomorrow, Armageddon and In the Line of Fire.

Bonus points for having some thrilling Smart Fortwo related shenanigans and could almost have been called Earth has Fallen.

A ludicrous 7.5 entertainment points out of 10.
chinkypig

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:51 am

My goodness! Thornfest '18 starts on Monday I've just realised. After last year's festival was a bit of a washout, I'm hoping for better things this year - although it seems unlikely that I'll get to see the two dozen or so films totalled in some previous years.

I know there are a few crackers in the programme though, so I'll certainly keep you up to date on them. The usual genre nonsense of course, combined with kicky fighty foreign language stuff.

But I'm looking forward to The Void, Mayhem and Blade Of The Immortal in particular, which I know are on this year.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:24 am

Excited to hear about Thornfest, I'm still undecided about films I need subtitles to watch (anything not in English). It means you have to watch the film constantly or miss plot points, no browsing the web or we'v.

The Best of youth, comes with an improbably high 8.5 on IMDB and is a sprawling saga set around a middle class Italian family from the 1960's to early 2000's. Episodic so you get a slow moving scene for half and hour or so and then it'll jump 8 years into the future. Parts of the 6hrs + are good but I didn't feel there was enough explanation of some people's actions, felt like some things just happened and it was left unexplained, a departure from the normal God like view some films use. Nice to look at but felt a bit shallow in the end, 6/10.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346336/
Strawman

Post by stuart @ Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Strawman wrote:no browsing the web or we'v.

Can you not sit and just watch a film without needing to browse the web / be on your phone etc ?
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Strawman @ Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Depends if it is boring me or not.
Strawman

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:24 am

The Meg.

Dragged to this by daughter no2 and Mrs 66, it fulfilled my expectations. Which were: it would be poor. And ludicrous.

It was too ludicrous to be entertaining. Even on a meta level.

3/10.
Greg66

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:39 am

>refuses to believe<
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

Damien Thorn wrote:>refuses to believe<

Same.

I want this to be ludicrously silly and therefore fun.
Deuteronomy

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club