Kindles

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Kindles

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:54 am

I want to talk about Kindles, ok?

I currently have a Kindle 4 which I've had for years. No touch screen, no backlight, but works perfectly as a thing to read books on.

For some reason I feel I should upgrade to the new Paperwhite version with backlight, waterproofness and touchscreen.

Has anyone else made a similar upgrade and felt it was worth it?
manfromdelmonte

Re: Kindles

Post by foo @ Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

I have a Paperwhite, on my second because I dropped one off the bedside table and it damaged the screen.

I considered the new big one, Oasis is it? But it's too big I think. It's certainly not flat like the Paperwhite.

Also, my last Paperwhite was the non-3G version and I could leave wifi on and it'd still last weeks. The 3G version won't last 16 hours, and you can't turn off 3G and keep wireless on, it's all or nothing. The previous version had no ads - the new one did and that was really annoying so I made them turn them off, which was a faff. This is my third Kindle and none of the others had ads so I saw no reason why this one should.

I still have my original, with the buttons. It annoys me that it doesn't have a backlight, but I feel the Paperwhite should have both buttons and a touchscreen because it's convenient, but the backlight is the main thing since I mostly read at night.

I say go for it.
foo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:16 pm

I have a Voyage (now replaced by the Oasis I think) which I really like. The page forward/back buttons on the edge mean you can turn the page without having to tap the screen (though you can do that too) which is a huge benefit if you use it when commuting like I do.

The backlighting is adaptive so it adjusts itself according to the light conditions where you are. Mine seems a bit random sometimes but tbh it's not really a problem. For me it was 100% worth upgrading as it's a much better model, though I use it a LOT.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks both, I use mine a lot too, but have always just thought of it like a book (where you have to turn the light on to read it). Having said that I think a backlight would be ace occasionally.

I would definitely go with the ad-free version, it's only a tenner more.

My main concerns are that swiping to change page seems worse than clicking the button without having to change your hand position and that it might be bigger/heavier...I think I need to see one.
manfromdelmonte

Post by foo @ Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:29 pm

You don't have to swipe, you just touch the screen on each side to move forward/back, swiping would be a pain in the arse. You do need to swipe on the library/shop pages to scroll, though, just not when reading.
foo

Post by whyohwhy @ Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 am

The backlight on the paperwhite is fab It makes reading much easier. Doesn’t seem to affect the battery much either, but I do have WI-FI turned off unless I’m downloading books
whyohwhy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:19 am

I use the kindle app on my phone to read everything, it’s large phone so screen size is ok. Should I be getting a kindle though, I’m tempted? My only reluctance is that I read loads because I’ve always got my phone with me - adding another device might stop this. Convince me!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 am

I have both, the Kindle app syncs with the device so you are always at the same place on both the Kindle and the app.

It's nicer to read on the Kindle due to the e-ink business, but I'll happily read on my phone when I don't have it with me.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm

I use the kindle app on my phone or iPad if I’ve forgotten my Kindle or its charging but I wouldn’t choose to do it. I much prefer the screen on the Kindle.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm

I’ve got a Kindle in my drawer gathering dust because I read everything on the iPad app :(
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by foo @ Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:16 pm

The e-ink display really makes a difference. I read for 2-3 hours a day and that would destroy my eyes on an LCD panel, especially at night in bed in the dark, which is when I mostly read.

I remember being quite anti-E-Reader initially, we both read a lot and have a lot of books (up to 1000 at one point before we had a clear out) but it completely replaced paperback fiction for me. The only thing that pisses me off is my favourite authors don't release books often enough, and the fact e-books cost more than physical copies. I have Kindle Unlimited.
foo

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am

foo wrote:and the fact e-books cost more than physical copies. I have Kindle Unlimited.

How can they justify charging more?

This thread had me considering getting one as I do read a lot, torn now
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
foo wrote:and the fact e-books cost more than physical copies. I have Kindle Unlimited.

It's something to do with tax or VAT IIRC
manfromdelmonte

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

i loves me Kindle. Got the Paperwhite at the moment - great machine.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by S1K @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

There's no VAT on books. If we get online virtual children's clothes or incontinence products in the future the same issue may arise.
S1K

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 pm

S1K wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

There's no VAT on books. If we get online virtual children's clothes or incontinence products in the future the same issue may arise.

No VAT on physical books, I think there is on e-books.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by S1K @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 pm

tanglerat wrote:
S1K wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

No VAT on physical books, I think there is on e-books.

Yes, that’s what I meant. Sorry, I didn’t word it well.
S1K

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Tip for Kindle book pricing - add it to your wish list then keep an eye on it. Often, there will be a promotion for a limited time and the price will drop so you can grab it then. Also, they often get priced higher on first release then reduce after a few weeks.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Blue Meanie @ Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:23 pm

I used to read using iBooks, and was content, until I tried a kindle.

Absolutely magnificent devices. Can read in the sun, and far lighter than a book or iPad.

Love mine, even if it is a bit old.
Blue Meanie

Location: New York State - Kazakhstan - Nigeria - Poland - Middle east, and now Bulgaria!

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:54 pm

I do still have a lot of paper books, but the Kindle gets used every day. I was previously very anti-ibook readers as they seemed mostly shit, but the Kindle has really won me over. Aside from anything else, when I went on holiday, my case would be about a third full of books and I'd be stressing about running out of reading material. When I got the Kindle, my first holiday after that was two weeks in a yoga retreat in Thailand and I went with a holdall and hand baggage.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 pm

I have 2 Kindles but I miss the smell of books and turning a page to find some sand or a wine/food stain and trying to remember where and when they came from.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Blue Meanie @ Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:36 pm

Been building a library of books I have read multiple times, or will do in the future. I get them from this little shop in the city! Cracking little place.Image
Blue Meanie

Location: New York State - Kazakhstan - Nigeria - Poland - Middle east, and now Bulgaria!

Return to Nervy's Culture Club