What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by S1K @ Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 pm

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • They must have CGI’d the umbrella out for broadcast edit
S1K

Post by span @ Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm new to all this and the battle was about the fifth or sixth full episode I've seen, but I thought it was brilliantly done, extremely tense and very powerful.

I always saw bits and bobs as Mr span was watching and I never liked the tits n torture it seemed like early on. But then I kept seeing snippets and finding them emotional and powerful, even without knowing what was going on, so I decided to become a #1 Fan two episodes from the end of the last season.
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu May 02, 2019 9:06 pm

Greg66 wrote:I watched this last night and was underwhelmed too.

Quibbles:

- the cinematography made it fcuking difficult to see what was going on, which is kind of the point of visual media. We had bugger all idea of how ineffective the Dothraki really were, or how effective the wights were when charging.

- too many overt plot devices.
    • Eliminate the Dothraki early to save CGI'ig the horses. Give the NK power over the weather to eliminate the effectiveness of the dragons.

- bizarre battlefield tactics. Not using your aerial bombardment weapons, and placing your infantry in front of your (single) fire trench are bad ideas.

- an insufficient number of major character deaths. This is the big one for me because it devalued the entire ep. I like all the major characters, but despite that I feel that some of them should have been culled to give greater meaning to this battle.

-
    • Arya's set piece was well-signposted; the only surprise really was the reprise of her "trick".

I think quibbling about battlefield tactics when you can accept a dragon fighting an army of the dead might be a bit PH of you Greg.

Next week I’m sure there’ll be character deaths since there’s hardly anyone left and a huge army of mercenaries coming.
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Wed May 08, 2019 10:57 am

Line of Duty finale was awful. Just awful. I was watching it and kept thinking "they can't just do a 90 minute interview can they?" and was wrong.

Morse code H = 4? fcuk off

The screen text at the end with commendations etc. like it was a true story? Oh just fcuk the actual fcuk off.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed May 08, 2019 11:01 am

thekungfury wrote:Line of Duty finale was awful. Just awful. I was watching it and kept thinking "they can't just do a 90 minute interview can they?" and was wrong.

The screen text at the end with commendations etc. like it was a true story? Oh just fcuk the actual fcuk off.

Agreed - very Deus ex Machina. And apparently Arnott works it out from a still image on screen?
ttwiggy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed May 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Currently watching Back To Life which is about a woman who has been released after a long stretch inside for murder. It's a bit Fleabag-esque - sad, funny, clever, painful and there's clearly something more to the murder than there initially appeared. I've seen four episodes and really like it.

I'm also watching that thing with Kate Beckinsale, The Widow. She's the eponymous widow whose other half was killed while doing something or other in the Congo. Apart from the fact I can't stop the Um Bongo song going through my mind every time, it's OK, not amazing but fairly watchable.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed May 08, 2019 3:37 pm

I watched the first Back To Life mostly because I think Daisy Haggard is brilliant. I liked it but haven't watched any further simply because there's too much telly at the moment.

Same with The Widow: had loads of episodes bluebussed, and then just deleted them unwatched because, again, just too much telly.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Wed May 15, 2019 11:15 am

As I mentioned, I only started watching game of thrones at the end of last series so who cares what I think. BUT, I thought that last episode was really good! And it seems to be getting loads of criticism. I found it all very powerful and couldn't look away (storing up questions for the end for Mr Span!).

What did you lot think?

I'm also watching and enjoying

Killing Eve, second series - even better than the first, I think?
Chernobyl - I've only watched one but it's very good so far.
Veep - final series, great as always, interesting to see how they've dealt with and incorporated the fact that the truth is far stranger than fiction these days.

I watched Fleabag recently too, after everyone was going on about it, and absolutely loved it, and her, and everything about it, and the final scene was perfect.

Oh, and Dead To Me (Netflix) is quite interesting. I love Christina Applegate, she's a brilliant comic actress*.

*actress / actor? What are we using?
span

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 am

thekungfury wrote:Line of Duty finale was awful. Just awful. I was watching it and kept thinking "they can't just do a 90 minute interview can they?" and was wrong.

I agree, especially the morse code bit. 4 taps equals four 'bent coppers'. Of course.
This was by far my least favourite one of the series. Still enjoyable but even more farfetched than ever. Or it was the same as ever and now the novelty is wearing off the flaws to it are starting to grate.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed May 15, 2019 11:33 am

Turntable wrote:

I agree, especially the morse code bit. 4 taps equals four 'bent coppers'. Of course.
This was by far my least favourite one of the series. Still enjoyable but even more farfetched than ever. Or it was the same as ever and now the novelty is wearing off the flaws to it are starting to grate.

I think it peaked with series 2 and 3, the linked Lindsay Denton ones. Keeley Hawes was fantastic, able to switch from pathetic victim to cold-eyed psycho with consummate ease.
ttwiggy

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 15, 2019 11:50 am

Also, I am sure I am a year or so behind the pace but Ive just watch the first series of Handmaid's tale and think it is brilliant.
Far better than I was expecting.
Not that it matters, indeed arguably refreshing, but am I the only one that find the main character really ugly?
Turntable

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed May 15, 2019 11:51 am

Turntable wrote:Also, I am sure I am a year or so behind the pace but Ive just watch the first series of Handmaid's tale and think it is brilliant.

Are you sure you're not just watching the American news?
ttwiggy

Post by Il Duce @ Wed May 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Gomorrah Season 1- Superb!

I know. It's old. But it IS good.

Season 2 ordered.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by span @ Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Turntable wrote:Also, I am sure I am a year or so behind the pace but Ive just watch the first series of Handmaid's tale and think it is brilliant.
Far better than I was expecting.
Not that it matters, indeed arguably refreshing, but am I the only one that find the main character really ugly?

I think she's generally cast as an ordinary person, like she was as the secretary in Mad Men. But I think she has an attractiveness to her, but not through being conventionally 'pretty'.

O/T I used to be so strict in who I thought was pretty. Not in a bitchy way, I just didn't understand. I thought that the models and actresses on TV were pretty with their perfect oval faces and that's IT, the rest of us are dog shit. Basically Cindy Crawford, Kim Cattrall, and a few others - you just had to try and look like one of those. I remember at the age of about 18, when I heard that a male friend really fancied Drew Barrymore, I was so shocked and couldn't believe it wasn't a huge deal to everyone. He may as well have fancied an air balloon or an octopus or something. I mean, I liked Drew Barrymore, but it had never occurred to me that someone's taste could be so crazily wide reaching that they'd fancy her.

Anyway, now I'm much less discriminating and find myself admiring young girls' self-confidence and posture and youthful glow, like some kind of fcuking 90 year old.
span

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm

span wrote:[, the rest of us are dog shit. .

:biglaugh:
Turntable

Post by S1K @ Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm

I’m catching up on watching things which probably everyone else saw ages ago.

Wolf Hall was last week and it was just as excellent as I had heard it would be. The books were brilliantly written and it was a faithful adaptation which helped, because I always hate it when I watch a film or TV programme of something I’ve read and they change things. Mark Rylance was superb.

I’m starting on series one of Line Of Duty next.
S1K

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 pm

S1K wrote:Line Of Duty

I was interviewed by the police today*, LoD stylee ! Except they recorded it on a phone and not on a machine that goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep at the beginning.

* I'm not in trouble, I'm the fackin rat !
DI Burnside

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 pm

DI Burnside wrote:

I was interviewed by the police today*, LoD stylee ! Except they recorded it on a phone and not on a machine that goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep at the beginning.

You've just reminded me I'm a witness in a case that's supposed to be going to court this month and I haven't heard anything about it for a long time. I hope they've forgotten me...
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm

span wrote:As I mentioned, I only started watching game of thrones at the end of last series so who cares what I think. BUT, I thought that last episode was really good! And it seems to be getting loads of criticism. I found it all very powerful and couldn't look away (storing up questions for the end for Mr Span!).

What did you lot think?

I think we need to talk about Game Of Thrones really, because frankly this final series - and to a large extent the series before - are pretty rubbish. It's as though instead of a script, they simply got some people who had never watched GOT before to film what they read in a Wikipedia plot synopsis. It's all so breakneck and superficial and disappointing. Why on earth did they not write it properly and fill out another series' worth of exposition and character? I know GRRMartin hasn't actually written the last books yet, but surely that doesn't mean that they have to abandon any semblance of character or complexity? The more I think about it, the more furious I am that they've made it go really shit for the end.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed May 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Last edited by Aesgarth on Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 15, 2019 7:58 pm

DI Burnside wrote:

Sounds interesting?
Turntable

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed May 15, 2019 8:04 pm

Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Wed May 15, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Wed May 15, 2019 8:24 pm

What are y'all ...-ing for?
CJ+

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed May 15, 2019 8:27 pm

CJ+ wrote:What are y'all ...-ing for?

Tokyo felt uncomfortable with the conversation we were having, on reflection agree with him, that it probably shouldn't be aired in public so we have removed it.
Aesgarth

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Turntable wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:

Sounds interesting?

Sounds but isn’t really. Interesting to see the process for real but I don’t think it’ll go further.
DI Burnside

Post by S1K @ Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Agree with you Damo

The GoT people know how many millions of viewers around the world have invested so much in the series so it’s a real shame that they’ve let it get so bad in the last two or three seasons. It feels rushed, the characters are doing things completely out of character and it’s generally just nowhere near the standard of the first four seasons.
S1K

Post by CJ+ @ Thu May 16, 2019 5:32 am

Aesgarth wrote:
CJ+ wrote:What are y'all ...-ing for?

Tokyo felt uncomfortable with the conversation we were having, on reflection agree with him, that it probably shouldn't be aired in public so we have removed it.

Fairynuff.
CJ+

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 pm

span wrote:Dead To Me (Netflix) is quite interesting. I love Christina Applegate, she's a brilliant comic actress.

Is she supposed to be funny in this ?

I watched a couple out of boredom and it struck me the storyline is stolen from One Foot in the Grave !
DI Burnside

Post by span @ Thu May 16, 2019 4:39 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
span wrote:Dead To Me (Netflix) is quite interesting. I love Christina Applegate, she's a brilliant comic actress.

Is she supposed to be funny in this ?

I watched a couple out of boredom and it struck me the storyline is stolen from One Foot in the Grave !

Well mostly not to be honest, I suppose I was meandering off topic because I love talking about how funny Christina Applegate is. But there are comic scenes in it and she is great in them.
span

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club