What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:00 am

NNK wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I've been meaning to post about the hearse ep of Top Gear. What absolute shit. Morons, being stupid. Juvenile and unfunny.

My thoughts too.
Chris Harris was a motoring journalist before I believe.
The money must be good to become the 'idiots plaything' on TG. Obv staged but I dont think I would have been happy about a water melon smashed on my head.

Chris Harris worked for PH for a while. It was hilarious watching the forum members fawn over him. There was lots of 'You, sir, should be on Top Gear!' type posts (oh how prescient of them!) and people wanting Monkey Harris to be their bestest car fwend. On the flip side, there were always the dickheads who knew he posted on the forum who tried to bait him. It was just embarrassing all round, much like when Jason Plato appeared on that weird guy's thread.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 am

I'm really enjoying the new series of Stranger Things so far. Between serieses I never feel that fussed about it, but while it's on I love it.

My only complaint is that one of the new characters, the girl who works in the icecream parlour with Steve, is jarringly NOT eighties looking. She's pretty in a modern way and has modern hair. Dear Points Of View Why Oh Why. Though she's apparently the daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke, so.

There is a mayor in it too, who's another great hire from the actual eighties!
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 am

span wrote:I'm really enjoying the new series of Stranger Things so far. Between serieses I never feel that fussed about it, but while it's on I love it.

I lost interest in ST halfway through the first series. I'm considering taking it up again though because everyone says how good it is.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 am

span wrote:I'm really enjoying the new series of Stranger Things so far. Between serieses I never feel that fussed about it, but while it's on I love it.

My only complaint is that one of the new characters, the girl who works in the icecream parlour with Steve, is jarringly NOT eighties looking. She's pretty in a modern way and has modern hair. Dear Points Of View Why Oh Why. Though she's apparently the daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke, so.

How did I miss that a new series is out?! Love Stranger Things and this has made my day.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

How did I miss that a new series is out?! Love Stranger Things and this has made my day.
Unbelievable!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 am

span wrote:My only complaint is that one of the new characters, the girl who works in the icecream parlour with Steve, is jarringly NOT eighties looking. She's pretty in a modern way and has modern hair. Dear Points Of View Why Oh Why.

I think they tried to Molly Ringwald/LikeAPrayerMadonna her up but I agree it hasn’t worked.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:13 am

btw does nobody at the police station not ask where Hopper is? He strolls round in beige but never does any actual policing afaict.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Am I the only one that, when a new series comes out, has no recollection whatsoever what happened in the previous series nor even what the program is about ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:45 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Am I the only one that, when a new series comes out, has no recollection whatsoever what happened in the previous series nor even what the program is about ?

Yes, it's because you're brain-damaged though.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:Am I the only one that, when a new series comes out, has no recollection whatsoever what happened in the previous series nor even what the program is about ?

Yes, it's because you're brain-damaged though.

And old.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by minimoog @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Not the only one, no :(
minimoog

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:49 am

Started TWD s9 last night.

Another slow trudge through sweaty anti climatic episodes to an unsatisfying denouement. Oh well.
Greg66

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

God it's good.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:14 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

God it's good.
I've only watched the first two episodes of 3 but I'm loving it so far. Word is it's the best yet.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:20 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

God it's good.
I've only watched the first two episodes of 3 but I'm loving it so far. Word is it's the best yet.

We’re 4 in and it certainly feels the best yet. I’m amazed what they can do with a small cast and the story as it is. They’ve really found the magic ingredient to make it great.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:54 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I've only watched the first two episodes of 3 but I'm loving it so far. Word is it's the best yet.

I was a bit luke warm after the first 2 but we’re 5 in now and love it.

Trying to ration ourselves rather than binge it but it means it’s nigh on impossible to have conversations with people about it as everyone is at different stages.
thekungfury

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Can we talk about the end yet?

There’s a musical moment in the final episode that is without question, the most well-paced, nostalgia inducing moment of the whole series so far. Whilst a lot of the program is a callback to the aesthetic of 80’s movies, this properly captures the feeling of childhood better than anything yet. Just brilliant.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 am

Greg66 wrote:Started TWD s9 last night.

Another slow trudge through sweaty anti climatic episodes to an unsatisfying denouement. Oh well.

This is amazing - but true - that was a completely accurate prediction.

I ground out the last two episodes yesterday. It is an infuriating series becaue you can happily lose yourself in some nonsense on your phone for 15 minutes at a time at miss nothing of significance. The mid-season "big episode" was a bit "Oh. Well, that's odd. I wonder what happens now". And then you never find out. The end of season finale was so anti-climatic that I genuinely didn't realise it was the season finale.

I can't wait for S10, obvs.

Next up: it's a toss up between Chernobyl (heard vg things about this and it is only 5 eps - good), and The Boys (looks entertaining but not terribly taxing). Or rounding off Bosch S2.
Greg66

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:37 am

I watched all of The Boys over the weekend. Karl Urban's awful accent aside, it's bloody (very bloody) brilliant.
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:19 pm

ttwiggy wrote:I watched all of The Boys over the weekend. Karl Urban's awful accent aside, it's bloody (very bloody) brilliant.
I can't wait to have a crack at The Boys. It might even form the backbone of Thornfest.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:I watched all of The Boys over the weekend. Karl Urban's awful accent aside, it's bloody (very bloody) brilliant.
I can't wait to have a crack at The Boys. It might even form the backbone of Thornfest.

I think it will be very much up your strasse.
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 pm

First episode of The Boys has promise. That accent is unnecessarily terrible though.
thekungfury

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:03 pm

Gameface

Anyone watching it?
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:48 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Mindhunter

Quoting 'cause I did a search and this was the only mention of MINDHUNTER. What a shit name, almost put me off, as did the first episode, but now I'm 4 episodes in and it's great!

The first episode started with the most misleading opening scene. A hostage negotiator is talking to a mentally ill person - you know they're mentally ill because they've got their willy out for no reason. So you get to see a willy and THEN the man blows his entire head off in a way that made me gasp and glare open-mouthed at Mr Span, who thought he'd done something wrong! But I was just shocked. It's not a spoiler because it's the first 30 seconds of the whole thing.

Anyway, so I thought with a stupid name like Mindhunter and a man's parts AND head-blowing-off in the first scene, I had this programme's formulaic number. But then it turned into a sauntering episode of not-much-at-all-ness. We were so confused we put on a second, and suddenly it snapped into its stride - a great story about a pair of 70s FBI people (one young and naive (who played the King from Hamilton's original Broadway cast, if you even care) and one grizzly but nice really) investigating the concept of what they're conspicuously calling "Sequence Killers" until one of them presumably will go "oh what about SERIAL KILLERS?!!" and everyone will go omg yeah.

I looked it up and it's based on reality and a book that was written at the time called Mindhunters, which explains the terrible name.

The next series is out next week - great!!
span

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 am

I saw and liked Mindhunter. Thanks for letting me know there’s a new series due.
thekungfury

Post by span @ Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 am

thekungfury wrote:I saw and liked Mindhunter. Thanks for letting me know there’s a new series due.

No worries, dude!

Oh, due. :(
span

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:39 pm

span wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:Mindhunter

Quoting 'cause I did a search and this was the only mention of MINDHUNTER. What a shit name, almost put me off, as did the first episode, but now I'm 4 episodes in and it's great!

The first episode started with the most misleading opening scene. A hostage negotiator is talking to a mentally ill person - you know they're mentally ill because they've got their willy out for no reason. So you get to see a willy and THEN the man blows his entire head off in a way that made me gasp and glare open-mouthed at Mr Span, who thought he'd done something wrong! But I was just shocked. It's not a spoiler because it's the first 30 seconds of the whole thing.

Anyway, so I thought with a stupid name like Mindhunter and a man's parts AND head-blowing-off in the first scene, I had this programme's formulaic number. But then it turned into a sauntering episode of not-much-at-all-ness. We were so confused we put on a second, and suddenly it snapped into its stride - a great story about a pair of 70s FBI people (one young and naive (who played the King from Hamilton's original Broadway cast, if you even care) and one grizzly but nice really) investigating the concept of what they're conspicuously calling "Sequence Killers" until one of them presumably will go "oh what about SERIAL KILLERS?!!" and everyone will go omg yeah.

I looked it up and it's based on reality and a book that was written at the time called Mindhunters, which explains the terrible name.

The next series is out next week - great!!

Loved it. Looking foreward to S2.

:like:
CJ+

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 pm

Is anyone watching Manifest?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by GingerNinja @ Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:29 pm

thekungfury wrote:First episode of The Boys has promise. That accent is unnecessarily terrible though.

Binged the whole series, loved it, and while his accent was bad, it wasn’t bad enough to set your teeth on edge (like Don Cheadles in Oceans 11 for example).

Amazon has already given the go-ahead to season 2 so maybe they’ll get him a decent voice coach.
GingerNinja

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:33 am

3-parter called Stag, on Netflix.

:like:
CJ+

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club