What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:13 pm

span wrote:Well I didn't say he was perfect! I think it's that he's naive and doesn't understand how ruthless the Roys are, and also he can easily be talked into stuff. He's relatively guileless though.

I love him and I don't care what you say!!

Lol the actor that plays him has nailed the bambi like stupidity perfectly. It’s such a great program as you really struggle to sympathise with any of them, maybe apart from Kendall who plays the broken man quite brilliantly.
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:It’s such a great program as you really struggle to sympathise with any of them, maybe apart from Kendall who plays the broken man quite brilliantly.

Yes, he does doesn't he! I find Shiv and Roman, while awful, aren't entirely without charm as they have SOME self-awareness. I even felt some sympathy for awful Tom in the last episode, whereas I could barely watch when he was on in the early episodes.

Connor is still thoroughly repulsive though and only getting worse.

And you're right, that half-smile in the final moment was chef kiss

Jesse Armstrong is fantastically talented creating this stuff, such sharp writing and well-drawn characters that make the writing sound plausible.
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Oh we could debate the awfulness if all of them, Shiv and Roman are particularly terrible, Shiv perhaps redeemed after Toms moment of clarity and Roman utterly punchable and a pathetic pervert until perhaps his hotel siege moment.
Doctor Congo

Post by desertweasel @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:44 pm

GingerNinja wrote:Also, I believe The Mandalorian premieres tonight on the Disney streaming channel. I’ll be, errrrrr, aquiring a copy tomorrow morning I expect. That ought to be ace.

Watched this today, was great, feels very like the original Star Wars mixed with the spaghetti westerns, dry humour and great shoot outs in space, what's not to like. Next episode is on the 16th I think.
desertweasel

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:54 pm

desertweasel wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:Also, I believe The Mandalorian premieres tonight on the Disney streaming channel. I’ll be, errrrrr, aquiring a copy tomorrow morning I expect. That ought to be ace.

Watched this today, was great, feels very like the original Star Wars mixed with the spaghetti westerns, dry humour and great shoot outs in space, what's not to like. Next episode is on the 16th I think.

What? How? Where?
Doctor Congo

Post by desertweasel @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
desertweasel wrote:

What? How? Where?

Cough: torrent: cough
desertweasel

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:01 am

Two things I've been finally watching / trying to watch:

Series 2 of Big Little Lies. Yes, I know it was on months ago but it takes us a while to catch up with things sometimes. 4 episodes in now, and my goodness isn't Meryl Streep's character ghastly! Infuriating, meddlesome old bat; truly accurate portrayal of a mother in law.

Secondly, His Dark Materials. BBC1's new high profile big budget Sunday night literary adaptation, which I'm watching with my daughter because she's reading the book and studying it in Literacy. I've not read the book, but according to her the programme is pretty faithful to it so far.

But good grief is it dull! I fell asleep during the second episode and it was arduous wading through episode 3 as well. But she's enjoying it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:28 pm

desertweasel wrote:

Yeah really enjoying the first 2 episodes - visually perfect, space western. Only minor gripe is that occasionally the music is not quite right, and the episodes are too short.
GingerNinja

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:00 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I have no idea what's going on, but there clearly is A LOT going on and plenty of clues being given. I'm very excited to find out.

What a programme.

I just back to backed ep 4&5

I haven't felt this bamboozled and enthralled about a TV show since the first couple of series of Lost. I'm completely mesmerised by it.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:03 pm

I'm watching Landscape Artist Of The Year. In fact, I'm literally actually watching it RIGHT NOW!!!

I love LAOTY. I bet you don't. In fact, I bet you don't even bloody watch it and I don't know why I even waste my time bothering to tell you about it. But I will:

It's become about 1.3 million times better since they replaced Frank Skinner as a presenter. Stephen Mangan is just perfect as his replacement; serious enough, but also wry and eversoslightly pisstakey. And Kate Bryan is wonderful (also, lovely), and Tai-Shan Schierenberg is fab too (also, lovely).

It's just genuinely one of my very favourite programmes, celebrating things I really enjoy: art, painting, the British landscape, gentle ribbing, terrible weather, Kate Bryan, and ordinary humble people thrust into the limelight for doing something they love.

Watch it, with an open mind. If you tell me you don't feel truly more content afterwards, I simply won't believe you.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 pm

Also, astonishingly, Joan Bakewell is now over ONE HUNDRED years old!!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:13 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I'm watching Landscape Artist Of The Year. In fact, I'm literally actually watching it RIGHT NOW!!!

I love LAOTY. I bet you don't. In fact, I bet you don't even bloody watch it and I don't know why I even waste my time bothering to tell you about it. But I will:

It's become about 1.3 million times better since they replaced Frank Skinner as a presenter. Stephen Mangan is just perfect as his replacement; serious enough, but also wry and eversoslightly pisstakey. And Kate Bryan is wonderful (also, lovely), and Tai-Shan Schierenberg is fab too (also, lovely).

It's just genuinely one of my very favourite programmes, celebrating things I really enjoy: art, painting, the British landscape, gentle ribbing, terrible weather, Kate Bryan, and ordinary humble people thrust into the limelight for doing something they love.

Watch it, with an open mind. If you tell me you don't feel truly more content afterwards, I simply won't believe you.

I really love portrait artist of the year but have no interest in LAOTY. Incredible, but true!
ttwiggy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:09 am

ttwiggy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I'm watching Landscape Artist Of The Year. In fact, I'm literally actually watching it RIGHT NOW!!!

I really love portrait artist of the year but have no interest in LAOTY. Incredible, but true!

:laugh:
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:11 am

ttwiggy wrote:I really love portrait artist of the year but have no interest in LAOTY. Incredible, but true!

Incroyable!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:I really love portrait artist of the year but have no interest in LAOTY. Incredible, but true!

Incroyable!

meh oui!
ttwiggy

Post by Turntable @ Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Secondly, His Dark Materials. BBC1's new high profile big budget Sunday night literary adaptation, which I'm watching with my daughter because she's reading the book and studying it in Literacy. I've not read the book, but according to her the programme is pretty faithful to it so far.

I really like this adaptation of HDM. The books are among my faves so I was keen to see what the TV series would be like after the dreadful film. For once, it doesn't feel like they've sacrificed a load of context for the sake of making it watchable. Mr C has been watching and he hasn't read the books but I've barely had to explain anything to him at all!

Im with Damo on this one. Not normally my cup of tea but I keep an open mind with stuff I know is well liked.
Anyway boring hell. Two episodes in and whilst it seems like it might be setting the groundwork for a good story/series it is just so boring I am not sure whatever is coming justifies the endurance.
Plus as I type Ive realised I have watched 3 episodes.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Turntable @ Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:28 pm

:biglaugh:
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 am

We've been watching and enjoying Marcella, with that Anna Friel off of Brookside. Basically she's a tough cop with a heart of golda serious mental health condition whereby she has violent blackouts under stress. Second series is better than the first.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by stuart @ Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 am

The Exorcist TV series, season 1 on Prime.

It's fantastic!

I think it captures the spirit of the original film pretty well, good effects and a couple of really unpleasant scenes where they go all in on gore / horror.

Also Swamp Thing, which is also on Prime.

This was a big surprise how good this is! Easily the best superhero series yet, real pity it was cancelled :( THey took swamp thing and made it a horror show, it's had some really brilliant visual effects that reminded me of "The Thing", in a good way. Love the plot, the characters and the atmosphere of the swamp location.
Last edited by stuart on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Pigeon @ Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 pm

CJ+ wrote:We've been watching and enjoying Marcella, with that Anna Friel off of Brookside. Basically she's a tough cop with a heart of golda serious mental health condition whereby she has violent blackouts under stress. Second series is better than the first.

I thought she was out of Abba, but what do I know.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by stuart @ Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I’m thinking of giving Stranger Things another go. I watched about three episodes of the first series and liked it but somehow never got into it. I’ve got time off over Christmas and NY. Should I do it?

Season 1 is terrific.
Season is 2 is good but not as good as season 1.
Season 3 I gave up on after a few episodes.

But I would say definitely give season 1 a go, although I was hooked on it straight from the first episode. So if you watched 3 and still weren't into it, maybe you just won't like it!
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:19 pm

Season 3 is the best of the lot!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Yeah I enjoyed season 3 too!

Started watching Freyed on NowTV yesterday. Produced and written(?) by Sharon Horgan. It’s very funny. Well worth a watch.

Finished season 2 of Jack Ryan. Entertaining if not as good as first season.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:20 pm

I watched some Fifth Gear last night. I had no idea it was still on, but it did appear to be a new episode; all the presenters looked really old. Plato was an amiable old buffer, like someone's friendly dad. Johnny Smith (?) looked like a career paedophile it on licence, and VBH like one of those photosets under the heading "Mature" that you scroll straight past with your nose turned up.

And the cars were new. Lamborghini Urus. Skoda Superb Sport Estate. Budget little hatches on 19 plates. BMW X7 (what a monster!)

I found it by accident on a channel I'd never heard of before, Quest HD something. No idea.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Watchmen episode 7. Oh. My. Actual. Goodness.

Utterly confounding and excellent and exasperating and wonderful and I haven't enjoyed a tv show this much for actual ever.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 pm

The elephant FFS!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Watchmen episode 7. Oh. My. Actual. Goodness.

Utterly confounding and excellent and exasperating and wonderful and I haven't enjoyed a tv show this much for actual ever.

Argh I watched part of it last night.... this is one of the best series I’ve watched in a long time
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:29 am

Clown Ice Skater #4

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club