What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:28 pm

I watched Suicide Squad last night.

Now, I'm not well-versed in the various universes but the gist seems to be that this takes place in the universe where Batman and Superman live/lived, rather than where say Jessica Jones and Daredevil live.

But it all seemed a bit (bear with, plz) cartoony, IYSWIM. Most of the dialogue was awful, the set pieces were all wobbly cameras and rapid smash cuts. By the end of the film I was rather rooting for the baddies to win.

Will Smith was OK, Joel Kinnaman was OK, Margot Robbie was OK. The Joker got on my tits, the aussie was inexplicable by his presence, what was the croc man all about? That chap with the fire. He was alright.

Best was Viola Davies being an implacable government sociopath. But even she looked like she was phoning it in.

3/10, I liked the early bit with the enchantress going off and stealing secrets from the Iranians. That was good.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Coincidentally I also watched SS last night.

It was quite bad wasn't it? Far too many characters squeezed into a film. I reckon they filmed 3hrs worth but the studio made them leave an hour on the cutting room's digital floor. The result was disjointed and pointless.
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:03 pm

It's a proper stinker, I remember it being panned at release too, do you think they hired the old Top gear team to write the jokes?
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:16 pm

I'm going to see the new Hellboy in a minute. I'm a bit worried tbh.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Not Hella worried?
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:37 pm

I might have been if I'd thought of that.

As it stands I'm ambiently but increasingly worried.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Well that was really stupid.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Oh dear
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:12 am

Turntable wrote:Anyway, I watched a film on Netflix called Peppermint.
Cliched and rubbish sounding revenge thriller.
Bad drug gang kills woman's husband and child. Woman goes on the rampage. Same old.
Basically same storyline as John Wick but with a woman as the hardman

Actually really good though. If you leave your rolleyes at the door and watch it for what it is, it is excellent. Just a good fighty shooty revengy thriller with some surprisingly shocking and gory bits in it.
Everyone will like this.

At least 7/10

I watched this. There is so much wrong with your post.

Firstly it’s on Amazon Prime. I include that in case anyone wants to see it. They shouldn’t though.

Secondly it’s truly dire. One of the least believable characters I’ve ever seen. Not that she’s a she but because her entire change from from ditzy housewife to elite hitwoman in ten minutes is daft. It would be as realistic as Dean Gaffney in the part.

Absurd plot with irrelevant “social media” bits thrown in.

You should be ashamed of yourself TT. You won’t be because you never are but you should be.
thekungfury

Post by Greg66 @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Aquaman.

It wasn’t very good.
Greg66

Post by Strawman @ Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:16 am

I know nothing abut Aquaman, beyond that it was the imaginary film being made in the series Entourage. Are there good fishes and bad fishes battling for something?
Strawman

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:50 am

Avengers Endgame.

I am a sucker for Marvel films. So much so that I set myself the task of “revising” the series (I watched 20 of 21 - all bar Iron Man 3 - over the last three weeks).

I’ve watched and read plenty of stuff over the years where the story has been incredibly engaging, but the strands aren’t pulled together for the finale well at all. Leaving one feeling a bit cheated and deflated.

This, on the other hand, is bloody great. It’s a great story, well told, in 22 films (except IM3) over 10 and a bit years. Just the sheer ambition of it is mind boggling, but then to pull it off to a standard they have is phenomenal.

If you liked the previous films, re-watch at least Infinity War, then go see this.
Greg66

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:08 am

The Ritual, on Netflix.

Rafe Spall etc in the woods. Hard to describe too much without spoiling, but it's very nice to look at; all atmospheric and shit.

I liked it. Score: Some stars.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 am

I liked The Ritual very much too. Really creepy and effective and Rafe is ace.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:15 am

thekungfury wrote:I watched this. There is so much wrong with your post.
Firstly it’s on Amazon Prime. I include that in case anyone wants to see it. They shouldn’t though.
Secondly it’s truly dire. One of the least believable characters I’ve ever seen. Not that she’s a she but because her entire change from from ditzy housewife to elite hitwoman in ten minutes is daft. It would be as realistic as Dean Gaffney in the part.
You should be ashamed of yourself TT. You won’t be because you never are but you should be.

This is mental. You are talking as though you watch a female revenge thriller expecting a documentary.
As though you watch John Wick or Taken thinking "This is a really good character and definitely believable"
As though to you, 'revenge thriller' means 'deep, complex plot'
I think you are just a misogynist and could not tolerate seeing such a strong woman beating up and killing men so you had to make it about plot and characters like some kind of ph poster
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:19 am

Turntable wrote:

This is mental. You are talking as though you watch a female revenge thriller expecting a documentary.
As though you watch John Wick or Taken thinking "This is a really good character and definitely believable"
I think you are just a misogynist and could not tolerate seeing such a strong woman beating up and killing men so you had to make it about plot and characters like some kind of ph poster

Laugh!
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:47 am

Turntable wrote:

The fact she had tits is irrelevant. I didn't even notice she was a woman to be honest, that's how woke I am. Shame on you for bringing it up, frankly.

John Wick and Taken are more believable because the characters (Were they male? I can't remember? Were they white? No idea, I don't see colour) are badass with a history of badass. This character in your most favourite film of all time went from being a Desperate Housewives, sorry, a Desperate Housepeople character to S.E.A.L. covert ops assassin in ten minutes and (spoiler) took out an entire team of baddies, singlehanded.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:50 pm

So your enjoyment of a revenge thriller is just down to the characters back-story?
Okay, Winston, okay.
Turntable

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:13 pm

If you put Mr Bean as the main character in The Raid it would be shit
thekungfury

Post by Dirk @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:23 pm

thekungfury wrote:If you put Mr Bean as the main character in The Raid it would be Johnny English part IV
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Turntable @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:21 pm

thekungfury wrote:If you put Mr Bean as the main character in The Raid it would be shit

So there we are back to the beginning where you are now fully and 100% admitting that you see no difference between a strong woman and Mr Bean.
Im surprised and frankly a touch disappointed at you. I was hoping that being on here so long would fade your Phness but it just seems I was wrong to believe in you
Turntable

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:31 pm

Turntable wrote:
thekungfury wrote:If you put Mr Bean as the main character in The Raid it would be shit

So there we are back to the beginning where you are now fully and 100% admitting that you see no difference between a strong woman and Mr Bean.
Im surprised and frankly a touch disappointed at you. I was hoping that being on here so long would fade your Phness but it just seems I was wrong to believe in you

You're saying that you see the difference between a man and a woman. I don't differentiate.

It's a shame you don't want your daughters to have same opportunities in life as your son but I guess the older boomer generation struggle to adjust to change.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:48 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Turntable wrote:

You're saying that you see the difference between a man and a woman. I don't differentiate.

It's a shame you don't want your daughters to have same opportunities in life as your son but I guess the older boomer generation struggle to adjust to change.

Oooof!
Deuteronomy

Post by span @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:58 pm

Greg66 wrote:Avengers Endgame.

I am a sucker for Marvel films. So much so that I set myself the task of “revising” the series (I watched 20 of 21 - all bar Iron Man 3 - over the last three weeks).

I’ve watched and read plenty of stuff over the years where the story has been incredibly engaging, but the strands aren’t pulled together for the finale well at all. Leaving one feeling a bit cheated and deflated.

This, on the other hand, is bloody great. It’s a great story, well told, in 22 films (except IM3) over 10 and a bit years. Just the sheer ambition of it is mind boggling, but then to pull it off to a standard they have is phenomenal.

If you liked the previous films, re-watch at least Infinity War, then go see this.

I am so excited about this. Mr Span and I will be going independently (we've only got a babysitter once and this seems a bit of a waste of one) and I can't WAIT. I'm going to get myself a single person's serving of popcorn (to eat as code-compliantly as possible) and it's going to be great!
span

Post by Greg66 @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:10 pm

span wrote:

I am so excited about this. Mr Span and I will be going independently (we've only got a babysitter once and this seems a bit of a waste of one) and I can't WAIT. I'm going to get myself a single person's serving of popcorn (to eat as code-compliantly as possible) and it's going to be great!

I want to watch it again when I get back to London on Sunday but despite the local cinema having 9 screens and roughly 20 screenings of this a day, I’d be stuck in row 2! I might as well have my nose pressed to the screen.

I hate waiting. For anything. Bah.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:58 pm

span wrote:[ I'm going to get myself a single person's serving of popcorn (to eat as code-compliantly as possible) and it's going to be great!

You’re a member of the Church of Wittertainment?
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:52 am

I saw it last night in IMAX 3D. I hadn’t got round to seeing Captain Marvel yet and didn’t even know Ant Man and The Wasp was a thing, otherwise I’m well versed in the Marvel universe.

Walking into the cinema I stepped aside to let a couple out through the door. As they passed me I heard them say “I can’t believe so-and-so happened”, revealing the main spoiler(s) in the film. I think if I’d killed them right there and presented the evidence in court there’s not one jury in the land that would convict. As it turns out it didn’t ruin the film, but seriously FFS!

For a 3hr film it didn’t feel long. Cramming so much in needed the full 3hrs. I need to see it again as there are lots of things I missed, especially in the final fight scenes.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • I laughed when Stark roared up in the car, an Audi E-Tron which would have been completely silent.

Good Marvel humour throughout. Hulk “smashing” and The Thor Abides made me lol, especially the final Guardians scene with Quill being the boss.

Some questions. Where did Loki go off to? Why didn’t Captain Marvel turn up much, much earlier? They had the stones, why didn’t they call her immediately?

I hated the very end scene. All they had to do was show Captain America wearing a ring, it didn’t need spelling out for us.

Crap post credit Marvel thing too. If you didn’t stay for it there was a sound effect of some hammering/forging. A teaser for?
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:56 pm

My son massively spoiled Endgame for me. On Thursday after school I excitedlysaid to him "ooh, Endgame's out now", because Marvel films are our thing.

And he said "yup, massive spoiler", and then clapped his hand over his mouth aghast, like he was in amateur Eastenders. The horror in his face at his thoughtless blurt was almost worth having the film ruined.

Almost.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:45 pm

span wrote:

I will most likely go on my own next weekend. I’m away this weekend and Mr C is away next weekend so he saw it on Friday but I really want to go to the Luxe and watch it rather than wait and have it spoilered.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Disastrous @ Wed May 01, 2019 12:24 am

Turntable wrote:
Place Beyond the Pines: A thriller with Ryan Gosling who is brilliant in it. I had been excited about watching this and the reviews have been excellent. What none of them seemed to mention is that it is long, boring and contrived. I fcuking hated this. Not boring in the smouldering sense which can be really good, but boring in the "I actually don't give a shit what happens in this" sense.
Still worth a watch because I reckon this will be a divisive film but for me 4/10

Finally watched this as I forgot about this discussion.

Didn’t hate it. The first hour is the arty indie film I wanted to be in...the next half hour starts to become a hardscrabble cop thriller and the last forty minutes are a shit teen movie. I liked the first hour and a half but didn’t like the last section.

To its credit though, it suffered from too much ambition. I think if it had been a half hour longer, it would have been better, albeit looooong. Or maybe the director should have just made it into two unconnected films.

Anyway, it got worse when Gosling stopped being in it but Cooper was superb and did an ace acting.

Makes me want a dirt bike.

Can’t decide what to score it. 6/10 I think. I think what annoyed me most was that it kept foreshadowing a dramatic *something* that would have made it an 8/10, but like Springsteen says, “you spend your life waiting for a moment that just don’t come”.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club