What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I'm going to see it this week I think, one evening after work. Now I'm scared of it though because NO FILM EVER needs to be that long.

Mark Kermode is weirdly afraid of long films too, and he said it was the right length.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by span @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 am

Damien Thorn wrote:7.7

Woah!!!!

I don't think I could stomach it or stand the tension, which is a shame because your sevenpointseven makes me really want to see it.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:29 am

span wrote:

Woah!!!!

I don't think I could stomach it or stand the tension, which is a shame because your sevenpointseven makes me really want to see it.
You'll know when THAT part is imminent because you'll be flinching yourself over the back of the sofa away from the telly.

Definitely watch it please span, it is superb.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
span wrote:

Woah!!!!

You'll know when THAT part is imminent because you'll be flinching yourself over the back of the sofa away from the telly.

Definitely watch it please span, it is superb.

I read a precis of this and that bit put me right off, unfortch. Which is a shame because I thought it looked OK.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Strawman @ Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Greg66 wrote: 2h45m is just too long to set aside for a cinema visit.

Anyone else, or should I MTFU and just put on my cinema endurance pants and get on with it?

It's not full on for the whole film, they built in intermissions by having Jared Leto play some scenes.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Just back from Blade Runner. Terrific, thoughts at the moment suggest high sevens.

More tomorrow when I've had a think and a sleep.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 am

Hmm. Clearly too much sleeping and not enough thinking, as so far all I've got is colossally loud space braaps on the score, punch ups and a phenomenal coat. Later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Have you ever fainted? Or almost? Remember that awful feeling when it's imminent and you can feel your brain shrinking away from the inside of your skull and the space left filling up with pins and needles? It's horrid, and you know you've just got a few seconds to do something about it: in my case, yesterday, I turned off Gerald's Game for a few minutes until my brain had stopped retreating away from reality.

Gerald's Game is the first film I can remember seeing that's actually made me feel that way. Even the most extreme of horrors usually leave me mostly unmoved, or even chuckling, but somehow this caught me on the hop. It's a Stephen King adaptation, from Netflix, which stars Carla Gugino as a hapless repressed wife trapped by her husband's sex game who finds herself forced to her limits as her situation becomes more and more serious and she begins to lose grip on reality and re-examine awful events in her past. It's a two/three-hander in a single location which works almost entirely as a psychological thriller, until suddenly it really isn't and I saw stars for those few seconds.

It's an excoriating examination of sexual politics and diminishment of a woman at the hands of the men allowed to assume importance through her life. It is excellent. Superbly written (I can't say if it's a good adaptation of the book because I've never read it) and performed, and brilliantly directed with barely any musical score. If you even slightly like dark thrillers/horrors I urge you to try it. I think I will be pondering on it for a while.

Do you think you'd actually have fainted if it were on a big screen?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:58 am

I would hope not, but I admit I would probably have looked away - which I've hardly ever done before. I was feeling funny before it even happened, due to the effectiveness of how it was built up. I read that people actually have fainted during screenings.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I would hope not, but I admit I would probably have looked away - which I've hardly ever done before. I was feeling funny before it even happened, due to the effectiveness of how it was built up. I read that people actually have fainted during screenings.

It is without question the most original film I've seen in ages. Really enjoyed it and now feel I should've scored it higher.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:44 pm

A couple more:

Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse. A knockabout daft zombie comedy with gore that feels a lot like Zombieland in tone, but stupider. It was passably enjoyable but utterly inconsequential. There was a zombie penis joke which made me smile in spite of the contextual benefit of thousands of years of human society, culture and knowledge. But the best gag was an Arab-themed strip club named Lawrence of a Labia.

Yes.

Also, Everest, which was the second presentation of the Thorn Friday Night Film after last week's Autopsy Of Jane Doe. Everest is a true story recounting a doomed (spoiler!) expedition to summit the world's tallest mountain. Bravery, sacrifice, stupidity and massive predictability added up to a superficially-entertaining emotionally-manipulative spectacle. One scene near the start between the lead climber and his wife led my wife to snap "oh, so he dies then?", just as I was thinking the same thing.

Spoiler: she was right, and so was I.

Slightly less fun than zombies, so 4.7

Afterwards, with a year-long streaked face, Mrs Thorn asked if next week we might watch a romantic comedy or something. Something without autopsies or family tragedy, at least. Well. We'll see, love.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:52 pm

I liked Everest.

It's hardly a surprise the guy dies. The film is about of the death of Rob Hall... Isn't he like one of the most famous deaths on Everest?
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:39 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I would hope not, but I admit I would probably have looked away - which I've hardly ever done before. I was feeling funny before it even happened, due to the effectiveness of how it was built up. I read that people actually have fainted during screenings.

I was sort of thinking about seeing this, but whatever this horrific scenes is, you've totally or me off that idea now. I struggled with that other Stephen Kind adaptation, about a person strapped to a bed - Misery. That hobbling scene made me feel ill. This sounds worse.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:47 pm

I saw the new Blade Runner yesterday.

My my, marvelous stuff indeed. Beautiful in nearly every shot - could take stills from nearly every scene and itd make for a great photograph to hang on your wall. Very nicely run-on from the story from the original too - deftly handled. Felt like a very natural sequel to the original - I'm so relieved they did such a good job of it.

Flaws; Jared fcuking Leto's overly jilted delivery, and also felt they could have shaved maybe 10-15 minutes off the run time as it was a tad long. Could have been easily done with just reducing the amount of time the camera adoringly lingered on Ryan Gosling face while he silently emoted.

Film ended, credits started rolling - not a soul in the cinema moved or made a sound for at least a minute. Very powerful stuff indeed.
GingerNinja

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:42 pm

GingerNinja wrote:I saw the new Blade Runner yesterday.

My my, marvelous stuff indeed. Beautiful in nearly every shot - could take stills from nearly every scene and itd make for a great photograph to hang on your wall. Very nicely run-on from the story from the original too - deftly handled. Felt like a very natural sequel to the original - I'm so relieved they did such a good job of it.

Flaws; Jared fcuking Leto's overly jilted delivery, and also felt they could have shaved maybe 10-15 minutes off the run time as it was a tad long. Could have been easily done with just reducing the amount of time the camera adoringly lingered on Ryan Gosling face while he silently emoted.

Film ended, credits started rolling - not a soul in the cinema moved or made a sound for at least a minute. Very powerful stuff indeed.

Agree with this, a great film but with flaws. The biggest being Dis’ observation about the score which was too loud and growling and detracted a bit from scenes. Very different to first film, much more brutal with no romance or tenderness at all. Still themes were of the nature of slavery so tone was always going to be different. I’d give it a high 8, but not the 10 the reviewers have given.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Agree with this, a great film but with flaws. The biggest being Dis’ observation about the score which was too loud and growling and detracted a bit from scenes. Very different to first film, much more brutal with no romance or tenderness at all. Still themes were of the nature of slavery so tone was always going to be different. I’d give it a high 8, but not the 10 the reviewers have given.
Doctor Congo

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:04 pm

stuart wrote:I liked Everest.

It's hardly a surprise the guy dies. The film is about of the death of Rob Hall... Isn't he like one of the most famous deaths on Everest?

Its a film about the deaths of lots of people. I agree, I liked it as well.
Damo's score of 4.7 is an absolute debacle on the back of a slightly higher zombie apocalypse.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Turntable wrote:

Damo's score of 4.7 is an absolute debacle on the back of a slightly higher zombie apocalypse.
Your face is an absolute debacle!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Pigeon @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:40 pm

No idea. What colour were his boots?
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Turntable wrote:

I enjoyed Everest too. I didn't know the original story so it was all new to me.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:

Saw it in Imax 3d.

My score is 10, a big fat one at that.

Admittedly i had not seen a movie in 3d imax before, so the marvellous extent of immersion has been factored in, to an unknown extent, in the final score.

It was like seeing the future itself, in an horrifically convincing and beautiful way, with a story couched in it somewhere.

The story, when it comes to it, was never dull or ponderous, despite the film gliding from one scene to the next in what at times seemed nanometrically resolved pace. There was so much time to drink in every scene, and let the mind contemplate a hundred different possibilities for the uses or origins of some excellent little detail within it, and then step back to consider the unseen elements, emotions, dialogue or conflicts at play.

The sound was turned up to volcanic levels in the theatre, the chestbones rattling in resonance to gunshots or musical effects; so yes, the music was not as elegant as the film deserved. But the sheer 10-ness of the film-making sees that off.

Harrison Ford actually tried hard to actually act, and he succeeded. You could tell he was really earning his money on this one. Either he really cared for the film or he was pushed and provoked by a director with a death wish; either way, he excelled at near Nicholson-levels of expressive nuance. The android woman (goslings mate) was simply perfectly cast and acted her socks off too, in a stnningly accomplished evocation of the fluttering tension and longing mimicry which haunts a lifeless thing wishing to be human. Gosling was Gosling, quietly impressive but perhaps didnt have to channel too much outside his native range; no bad thing, it perhaps added to the effortlessness of the way the story spilled out of the screen.

Properly excellent film. 10
Barbarianna

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:36 am

Your thoughts mostly echo my own Babs. Although for me, without the IMAX element it reaches a heady 7.9

The finest achievement for a film of two and three quarter hours that moves between scenes with an absolute and deliberate slowness is that it was never boring. I never glanced at my watch, nor felt that it was long.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:06 am

So, you liked it then? Worth getting ripped of by the local fleapit to see it?
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 am

I paid £14.50 each to see it at my nearby artisanal multi screen Everyman, with sofas and concierge service to your seat.

It felt expensive but I think the film made it worth it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:08 am

Watched Geralds Game last night as a result of this thread.
Good recommendation Damo.
Completely original and fascinating. Very difficult to watch as you said.

A couple of gripes made it a bit frustrating but otherwise very enjoyable.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:25 am

I want to go and see Blade Runner, but Mr C is baulking. He said the original was tedious beyond words and is not showing enthusiasm for the remake, especially when I let slip if was 2.45 long.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I want to go and see Blade Runner, but Mr C is baulking. He said the original was tedious beyond words and is not showing enthusiasm for the remake, especially when I let slip if was 2.45 long.
I thought the first film was impossibly dull and awful and have only managed to watch it once and a half.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I want to go and see Blade Runner, but Mr C is baulking. He said the original was tedious beyond words and is not showing enthusiasm for the remake, especially when I let slip if was 2.45 long.

Go and see it by yourself if you have to. It’s a great film. Flawed but still great.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:35 am

The Collector. A SAW-esque horror about a nut who kidnaps and murders hordes of people, and keeps some of them trapped in an old hotel riddled with boobytraps. It was surprisingly gory and really stupid, 4

And for the Thorn Family Friday Film
Damien Thorn wrote:Mrs Thorn asked if next week we might watch a romantic comedy or something. Something without autopsies or family tragedy, at least. Well. We'll see, love.

we watched Pixels, which is an Adam Sandler comedy. Aliens invade earth in the form of classic eighties arcade games; Pacman, Centipede, wev. Only gaming nerds can save the world and Adam Sandler is one! The film isn't wretched at all even though you would fully expect it to be dreadful. It was ok, mildly funny (but not actual laughing funny) and surprisingly with Michelle Monaghan in it, who I like but haven't seen for ages. 4.8
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 am

I'm sure I watched a third film too, but I can't remember what it was.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club