What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 am

Security. Antonio Banderas is a mall security guard. Because reasons he fights off a horde of baddies headed up by Ben Kingsley. 5/10

Kidnap. Halle Berry is determined to recover her son from a kidnapper. She cries all the time in it. 7/10.

XXX. Vin Diesel is Xander Cage who does improbable things to Russian gangsters in Prague. It's half an hour too long. 6/10.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 am

CJ+ wrote:It's half an hour too long.

It's a rare film that isn't.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am

Oh, I've remembered the third film: it was the new American remake of Death Note.

I really really liked the original trilogy of films, and although no one really looks forward to a remake, this was at least directed by Adam Wingard, who I'm sort of an optimistic fan of.

This remake was a bit lacklustre though. I still like the story, but Wingard has made all the characters into unlikeable irritating tw@ts. And excised some of what makes the story work. But added in too much explanation of backstories and some blaters brutal Final Destination-esque surpriso-gore.

Willem Dafoe was brilliant in it though, while everyone around him was hateful. Ironic really, as his character should have been the hateful one.

A shame. As usual.

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:50 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh, I've remembered the third film: it was the new American remake of Death Note.

I really really liked the original trilogy of films, and although no one really looks forward to a remake, this was at least directed by Adam Wingard, who I'm sort of an optimistic fan of.

This remake was a bit lacklustre though. I still like the story, but Wingard has made all the characters into unlikeable irritating tw@ts. And excised some of what makes the story work. But added in too much explanation of backstories and some blaters brutal Final Destination-esque surpriso-gore.

Willem Dafoe was brilliant in it though, while everyone around him was hateful. Ironic really, as his character should have been the hateful one.

A shame. As usual.

I came from this having watched the original cartoons and read the first manga.

I didn't realise there was films already. I enjoyed it.

I thought they made the main character a bit too emo, but William Defoe was brilliant and I thought it stayed true enoughish to the source material.

It needed to be longer though, they tried to stuff too much into a short film. Maybe it just doesn't work as a film and needed to be a series.
Last edited by stuart on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 am

i watched the Abyss on netflix.

It originally came out in 1989 and it still stands up really well today.

The special effects, which I was prepared for to look dated and terrible, still look absolutely brilliant today.

If you told me that it was a film that came out recently, and not 1989, I could have believed you. Very impressed how good it still looks.
stuart

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:15 pm

stuart wrote:i watched the Abyss on netflix.

The special effects, which I was prepared for to look dated and terrible, still look absolutely brilliant today.

If you told me that it was a film that came out recently, and not 1989, I could have believed you. Very impressed how good it still looks.

The Abyss is well good.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:28 pm

I saw The Abyss at the cinema, whenever ago it was. It's always seemed funny to me that they cut out the scene of the rat breathing the O2 liquid, but kept the scene of Ed Harris doing it. I suppose the rat wasn't being paid a fortune though, and hadn't had a say.

Good film, anyway. Is it the extended version on Netflix, with the different ending?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I saw The Abyss at the cinema, whenever ago it was. It's always seemed funny to me that they cut out the scene of the rat breathing the O2 liquid, but kept the scene of Ed Harris doing it. I suppose the rat wasn't being paid a fortune though, and hadn't had a say.

Good film, anyway. Is it the extended version on Netflix, with the different ending?

I don't know, the ending was:

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • The guy goes down to the ocean floor. Gets rescued by the aliens. Taken on their ship, then the whole alien ship raises up and picks up their little submarine thing and the big boat sent to rescue them.

Guy walks out the alien ship and hugs the woman.

Also I'm sure they showed the rat in the liquid scene. Or maybe I'm mis-remembering and they just showed the guy panicky while the rat was not drowning off screen.
stuart

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Did I ever tell you my Abyss anecdote?

preemptive strike, fcukers!
thekungfury

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 pm

thekungfury wrote:Did I ever tell you my Abyss anecdote?

preemptive strike, fcukers!

no!
stuart

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Nice move Teeks, nice move.
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm

CJ+ wrote:

The Abyss is well good.

Apart from the very last 2 or 3 minutes.
It felt that they only had a bit of film left in the camera and thought "ok, quick, aliens, surface, bloke kisses woman, the end"
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Il Duce wrote:
CJ+ wrote:

The Abyss is well good.

It felt that they only had a bit of film left in the camera and thought "ok, quick, aliens, surface, bloke kisses woman, the end"
That's the ending after they cut the rest out. The extended ending is a bit better iirc.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
CJ+ wrote:

The Abyss is well good.

That's the ending after they cut the rest out. The extended ending is a bit better iirc.

Ah I see. That's exactly how it feels when you watch it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Freddie @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:I saw the new Blade Runner yesterday.

My my, marvelous stuff indeed. Beautiful in nearly every shot - could take stills from nearly every scene and itd make for a great photograph to hang on your wall. Very nicely run-on from the story from the original too - deftly handled. Felt like a very natural sequel to the original - I'm so relieved they did such a good job of it.

Flaws; Jared fcuking Leto's overly jilted delivery, and also felt they could have shaved maybe 10-15 minutes off the run time as it was a tad long. Could have been easily done with just reducing the amount of time the camera adoringly lingered on Ryan Gosling face while he silently emoted.

Film ended, credits started rolling - not a soul in the cinema moved or made a sound for at least a minute. Very powerful stuff indeed.

Agree with this, a great film but with flaws. The biggest being Dis’ observation about the score which was too loud and growling and detracted a bit from scenes. Very different to first film, much more brutal with no romance or tenderness at all. Still themes were of the nature of slavery so tone was always going to be different. I’d give it a high 8, but not the 10 the reviewers have given.

Just watched it. Too much Grizzly Bear Gang busines made Freddie nearly miss it.

8.25, because J Leto and H Ford's acting not too woden, which came as a pleasant surprise. Sound levels all over the place, particularly in the action scenes. Great nod to the original BR ending too. Good script from Hampton Fincher and nicely set up for BR 3.
Last edited by Freddie on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:05 am

Freddie wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:I saw the new Blade Runner yesterday.

My my, marvelous stuff indeed. Beautiful in nearly every shot - could take stills from nearly every scene and itd make for a great photograph to hang on your wall. Very nicely run-on from the story from the original too - deftly handled. Felt like a very natural sequel to the original - I'm so relieved they did such a good job of it.

Flaws; Jared fcuking Leto's overly jilted delivery, and also felt they could have shaved maybe 10-15 minutes off the run time as it was a tad long. Could have been easily done with just reducing the amount of time the camera adoringly lingered on Ryan Gosling face while he silently emoted.

Film ended, credits started rolling - not a soul in the cinema moved or made a sound for at least a minute. Very powerful stuff indeed.

Agree with this, a great film but with flaws. The biggest being Dis’ observation about the score which was too loud and growling and detracted a bit from scenes. Very different to first film, much more brutal with no romance or tenderness at all. Still themes were of the nature of slavery so tone was always going to be different. I’d give it a high 8, but not the 10 the reviewers have given.

Just watched it. Too much Grizzly Bear Gang busines made Freddie nearly miss it.

8.25, because J Leto and H Ford's acting not too woden, which came as a pleasant surprise. Sound levels all over the place, particularly in the action scenes. Great nod to the original BR ending too. Good script from Hampton Fincher and nicely set up for BR 3.

Is there going to be a 3rd??
Doctor Congo

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:40 am

Given 2 has bombed in relative terms, unlikely.
Käsemeister

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:50 am

Some flight distractions:

Baywatch - given the reviews I’d expected this to be shite but I chortled long and hard all the way through. Great brain out fun and all the better for the tongue in cheek jokes and swearing. Genuinely 7/10

Belko Experiment: I’d been curious about this one for a while, because James Gunn, and it was well.... odd. Extremely violent, felt like it’d been cut down by an hour or two or they’d just forgotten to bother explaining who half the characters were or their motivations. As a result whilst the film was clearly intended to be shocking it simply wasn’t. Also a little too much comedy which regularly hauled you out of it as you wondered whether it was a statement on society or just Damo-fodder. I wanted to like it more than it deserved. 6/10

King Arthur - cockeney tw@t boy has made approximately one good film and this was not it. 0.1/10

Mindhorn - trailer was hilarious, so.... it turned it off half way through. -16/10. Truly terrible. Like painfully terrible. Just don’t.
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Belko Experiment: ... Damo-fodder.

Ooh.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Yep, suspect you might enjoy it, though you’ll bemoan the lack of teenaged titguns.
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Yep, suspect you might enjoy it, though you’ll bemoan the lack of teenaged titguns.
Just my luck!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Mindhorn - trailer was hilarious, so.... it turned it off half way through. -16/10. Truly terrible. Like painfully terrible. Just don’t.

I'm very disappointed by this.
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Watched Everest and agree with TT (who loved it) more than Damo (who hated it)

Thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly some of the surprising deaths. I have decided I definitely DO NOT want to summit Everest.
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:I have decided I definitely DO NOT want to summit Everest.

What if you owned a pair of gorgeous green climbing boots?
Strawman

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Saw Thor Ragnarok. Great fun, lots of laugh out load bits, loads of cameos. Very entertaining all in all, much more so than last Avengers movie. 7.5/10
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:24 pm

Strawman wrote:

Reckon I’ll just wear then down the supermarket tbh. The ascent to the peak looks properly awful.
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Strawman wrote:

Reckon I’ll just wear then down the supermarket tbh. The ascent to the peak looks properly awful.

I remember watching a programme ages ago where Brian Blessed tried the ascent, at the start he was all Rah! I have a loud voice, at the end he was like, shit I can't do that, no oxygen FFS!
Strawman

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:Saw Thor Ragnarok. Great fun, lots of laugh out load bits, loads of cameos. Very entertaining all in all, much more so than last Avengers movie. 7.5/10

Just got back from this. Really funny - genuinely so. Very Hunt for the Wilderpeople in its humour but funnier. I had to have the Matt Damon cameo explained to me.

9/10 for me.
Greg66

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Two, so far: the Thorn Friday Film was Inherent Vice, PT Anderson's sprawling hippified crime drama. I've only seen a couple of his films before (Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love) and admit I expected something akin to the latter, based on no idea. Unfortunately IV was a baffling ramshackle marathon of drawn out character scenes and a plot that probably does make some sense, just not to me.

I had literally no idea what was going on.

Watching it made me want to watch The Nice Guys again, because IV felt like what you'd get if you violently shook TNG so all the fun and jokes fell out, and then stretched what was left so it was an hour too long.

It literally never ended. 3

Secondly, imagine my surprise to thoroughly enjoy a film I knew little about, only to discover as the end credits rolled that it was directed by McG. I know! You wouldn't believe such a preposterous claim, and yet that's what happened when I watched The Babysitter.

Cole is a nerdy, awkward, put-upon preteen who adores the time he has to spend with his babysitter Bee - a beautiful, cool, popular college girl. One night he stays up to see if she's going to sneak a boyfriend into the house after he's supposed to be asleep, but what he sees is very much not what he expected.

I loved this film. It was fun and funny (although not a flat out comedy) with a nicely judged tone that allows it to throw some violence at you when it wants to, surprising you but not jolting you or of it. When I say "you", I mean me of course - because I like stupid violent films with cheerleaders in, where you probably don't so much. Anyway. This was a terrific surprise.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Agreed about the Babysitter, I expected it to be awful but gave it a chance and it's a properly fun film.
stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club