What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Finally got around to watching The Hunt for the Wildepeople last night, it was excellent.

Well recommended TT!

WTF!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:Finally got around to watching The Hunt for the Wildepeople last night, it was excellent.

Well recommended TT!

WTF!

WTF!
Bodhi

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Well recommended TT!

WTF!

WTF!

Exactly!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:33 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Well recommended TT!

WTF!

WTF!

Exactly!

Did TT not recommend?

I had it chalked alongside his vote for Barney's Version as being excellent advice.
Deuteronomy

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Well recommended TT!

WTF!

WTF!

Exactly!

Did TT not recommend?

I had it chalked alongside his vote for Barney's Version as being excellent advice.

Oh you Motherfcuker!
Bodhi

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Well recommended TT!

WTF!

WTF!

Exactly!

Did TT not recommend?

>gasp!<
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Remember this you fcuk.

Deuteronomy wrote:
Turntable wrote:
Bodhi wrote:Barney's Version

THis sat on my side for a couple of weeks. It looks awful. The box is yellow and the front of it resembles some kind of rom-com.
Reading the synopsis doesn't make it look any better either. Plus its over 2 hours long. Everytime I looked at the case I hate Bodhi for making me buy it.

ANyway I watched it at the weekend and it was fcuking brilliant. Definite 8.5/10 - maybe even a 9. I cant even explain what it was about and there would be no point because it would sound shit if I did.
Everyone try and watch this. Top recommendation.

Oh, I knew I was going to like it when the opening scene was him pissed phoning his ex wife at 3am

Barney (to new husband): Hello Brett, put my wife on.
Brett: No Barney, she's asleep and she's not your wife and its 3 am. Go away.
Barnay: Fair enough. Its just I came across all these old naked photos of her and was wondering if she wanted them. COme to think of it-do you want them so you can see what she looked like in her prime?

Excellent character, as are they all. Massive recommendation

I watched this at the weekend, great film.

Barney Panofsky: Don't ever tell my father what he can or cannot do again.
2nd Mrs. P's Father: He traumatized the Rabbi's wife...
Barney Panofsky: I don't care if he fingered her under the table. He's my father and he'll have your respect.
Bodhi

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Bodhi wrote:Remember this you fcuk.

Deuteronomy wrote:
Turntable wrote:
Bodhi wrote:Barney's Version

THis sat on my side for a couple of weeks. It looks awful. The box is yellow and the front of it resembles some kind of rom-com.
Reading the synopsis doesn't make it look any better either. Plus its over 2 hours long. Everytime I looked at the case I hate Bodhi for making me buy it.

ANyway I watched it at the weekend and it was fcuking brilliant. Definite 8.5/10 - maybe even a 9. I cant even explain what it was about and there would be no point because it would sound shit if I did.
Everyone try and watch this. Top recommendation.

Oh, I knew I was going to like it when the opening scene was him pissed phoning his ex wife at 3am

Barney (to new husband): Hello Brett, put my wife on.
Brett: No Barney, she's asleep and she's not your wife and its 3 am. Go away.
Barnay: Fair enough. Its just I came across all these old naked photos of her and was wondering if she wanted them. COme to think of it-do you want them so you can see what she looked like in her prime?

Excellent character, as are they all. Massive recommendation

I watched this at the weekend, great film.

Barney Panofsky: Don't ever tell my father what he can or cannot do again.
2nd Mrs. P's Father: He traumatized the Rabbi's wife...
Barney Panofsky: I don't care if he fingered her under the table. He's my father and he'll have your respect.

Hmmm, it sort of feels like you're trying to steal the glory from TT.

Not classy at all Bodes.
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Bodhi wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Well recommended TT!

WTF!

WTF!

Exactly!

Did TT not recommend?

>gasp!<

This is like Barneys version all over again. Basically, yes I recommended it. Once upon a time Damo also watched it but alongside a recommendation for Night of the Goat fcuking Radioactive Zombie.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Glad you liked it Deuts.
Turntable

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Turntable wrote:
This is like Barneys version all over again. Basically, yes I recommended it..

Are you both struggling to read???
Bodhi

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Turntable wrote:
This is like Barneys version all over again. Basically, yes I recommended it..

Are you both struggling to read???

We covered this at the time surely?
You recommend stuff, nobody takes any notice because you.
I recommend stuff and people know that it will be good. Hence it is MY recommendation. Not yours. Get over it.
Turntable

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Just taken the kids to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 because half term etc. Fun but felt a little contrived compared to the first. Having said that, if the first was a 9, then it's a solid 8.
Käsemeister

Post by Turntable @ Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:John Wick 2. Annoyingly set up to be the start of many which will inevitably decline the same way Bourne has. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

He should deffo name his dog though.

Watched this at the weekend and I hated it sooooooo much.
I quite liked the first one for some reason, but it struck me that in making the second one they misjudged why people liked the first and made a whole film that was 120 minutes of cringe worthily choreographed fighting.
Every single scene was John Wick killing 15 heavily armed baddies in a fashion that was utterly reliant on them standing stock still whilst he killed them, or attacking him one at a time.
I watched the first couple of scenes with mild enjoyable bemusement whilst I waited for the actual film to start but it never did. He fought 15 baddies. Escaped the building to be confronted by 15 more baddies. Went home to find 15 more baddies at his hotel. Killed them and escaped to be met with 15 more baddies in the subway etc etc etc. This was the entire film and the fight scenes were so embarrassing that each mass-killing chipped away at my tolerance level until I was just praying for him to get shot in the face and die.
I am questioning whether I even liked the first one or have a false memory of it. I don't know.
Anyway 3/10

In other news I was pleasantly surprised by Trainspotting 2. I assumed that if I saw the first one again I wouldn't like it as an adult but I think I was probably wrong now. Managed to be oddly sentimental whilst violent and funny at the same time.
Really enjoyed 7.5/10
Turntable

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 am

Similar views to TT (shudder) about John Wick 2. would probably give it 5 on the basis of it being enjoyable claptrap. Like they took the trailer for the first one and ran it in a loop to make a whole film.

And also agree with CIS4: there will be more and they will get worse and worse.
Greg66

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 am

Two:

Headshot, which is little Iko Uwais of The Raid fighting loads of people. It is utterly brutal and desperately violent and grim and torturey, and so very very long. Two hours? Two and a half? Because of how these sorts of films work, I knew there was an inevitable final face off battle to come in the finale but I could barely be bothered to watch when it rolled around. So much fighting, all the time. I like watching films like this, but it's too much - it tips over into tedium and stodge. Diminishing returns as it ploughs along, each fight like a lovely sweet doughnut - one or two are a nice treat, but after ten you just don't want any more. 5.5

Wonder Woman, which is another superhero film, as you all know. This started fun and lively and like Headshot became more tedious and overblown as it rumbled on. Again, it's massively, challengingly long, two and a half hours. I got about an hour and a half in before I looked at my watch, and felt a pang of dismay once I'd worked out there was still another hour left. I struggled to stay awake during the final climactic battle where, of course, everything blows up for ages, and I think I might have lost my struggle at one point. Gal Gadot (say "dot") is very pretty though, and in a couple of brief shots is utterly beautiful. 5.9
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:34 am

I watched Jurassic World last night as it appeared on Netflix.

If you've ever watched any of the other Jurassic series you don't need to watch this.

5/10

(The big swimming dinosaur was good though)
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 am

3 Days To Kill concerns Kevin Costner's character trying to not be in the CIA any more while struggling to reconcile with his estranged teenage daughter. Time is short, as he has terminal cancer. It is a French action film that Luc Besson made up the story of and wrote, but couldn't be bothered to direct so he made the none-more-fatuously-named McG do it. It is a ridiculous film. It starts as an action thriller, becomes a drama - as Cost discovers his appartment now has a family of refugees squatting in it so he has to live with them! - then becomes a pseudo nonromcom between Cost and child, then remembers it's an action film and stuffs a car chase and gunfight into one scene.

It is very daft but Kevin Costner is good, old and a bit rubbish. Like all Luc Besson stories, it is plainly stupid and utter nonsense, but sadly without Besson's glossy direction zipping things along all of his 'Gallic flair' in the writing becomes blatantly foolish. I don't even understand why Amber Heard is in it, or what her character is trying to achieve, or why. Or in fact why any of it happens at all really.

Don't know, 4?
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:45 am

I watched the first John Wick last night, good and just preposterous enough.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:39 am

Two:

The Mechanic: Resurrection - which is a Stath sequel to the Stath original which is a remake of a Charles Bronson original original. It's rubbish. It looks like the first Stath film and sounds like the first Stath film, but everything has that weird Eurocheapness you can feel in DTStreaming sequels. It's the sort of film that ought to have Danny Trejo in it, except he's not in it. I fell asleep towards the end, and realised because the end made no sense. So I rewound it and watched the end again. It made no sense. 3

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Any More
- is the story of a nurse who is fed up with how people are more and more selfish and thoughtless, and then has her grandmother's silver stolen when her little house is burgled. I loved this film. It starts as an indie-esque mildly dark mild comedy, and follows its own path into different terrain. I hadn't heard of it before watching, and whilst I fully accept that no one will like it but me I urge you to try it. It is superbly acted, subtly and cleverly written, and delights in confounding your expectations about where it's going to go with its story, so that by the time it's finished you can't quite believe that's how it finished. 7.9
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 am

I've just realised what IDFAHITWA reminded me of. Early Cohen Brothers, like Blood Simple or Fargo (especially Fargo).
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
I Don't Feel Alone In This World Any More
- is the story of a nurse who is fed up with how people are more and more selfish and thoughtless, and then has her grandmother's silver stolen when her little house is burgled. I loved this film. It starts as an indie-esque mildly dark mild comedy, and follows its own path into different terrain. I hadn't heard of it before watching, and whilst I fully accept that no one will like it but me I urge you to try it. It is superbly acted, subtly and cleverly written, and delights in confounding your expectations about where it's going to go with its story, so that by the time it's finished you can't quite believe that's how it finished. 7.9

I've watched that too, it's good.
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm

I went with a load of kids to see transformers at the cinema yesterday.
I don't think I have ever been so bored of a film. 2 hrs 40 minutes of some robots fighting and some other stuff.
It would just not end. It went on and on and on and on. I had a 30 minute snooze in the middle and I didn't miss a thing.
I left 10 minutes form the end and met the kids (and b-I-l) in the foyer as the boredom had become so overwhelming that it was starting to become rage.
Anyway 1/10 for me.
Turntable

Post by stuart @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

I too liked this. But its called I dont feel at home in this world anymore, ismt it?
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes it is. There was a typo in my post.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Hooli @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:36 pm

I watched Full Metal Jacket again last night, I'd forgotten how good it was.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Turntable wrote:I went with a load of kids to see transformers at the cinema yesterday.
I don't think I have ever been so bored of a film. 2 hrs 40 minutes of some robots fighting and some other stuff.
It would just not end. It went on and on and on and on. I had a 30 minute snooze in the middle and I didn't miss a thing.
I left 10 minutes form the end and met the kids (and b-I-l) in the foyer as the boredom had become so overwhelming that it was starting to become rage.
Anyway 1/10 for me.

All the Transformers films are shit. Smeared, stinking, shit.

Including the ones that have yet to be made.
Greg66

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:53 am

stuart wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

I too liked this. But its called I dont feel at home in this world anymore, ismt it?

I watched this last night prompted by the urging and found it decent enough.
Strawman

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:57 am

Greg66 wrote:
Turntable wrote:I went with a load of kids to see transformers at the cinema yesterday.
Anyway 1/10 for me.

All the Transformers films are shit. Smeared, stinking, shit.

Including the ones that have yet to be made.

I've seen bits of lots of the films but I could never work out which ones were the goodies and which ones were the baddies.
Well apart from the yellow one.
Stupid films.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Took the boy to see the new Spiderman film tonight, it was ok but a bit poor compared to most of the other Marvel films. It was like they (and RDJ) are really milking it. I'd give it a 4, the boy an 8.
DI Burnside

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club