What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:39 am

Two more:

R.I.P.D. - this is total shit. Just awful, irredeemable shit. Ryan Reynolds is a policeman who is killed during a raid, but instead of dying he is co-opted into the afterlife police, the R.I.P.D., to catch escaped dead people (?). It allows Reynolds no room to shine or quip, and partners him with Jeff Bridges giving a performance so mannered and mangled that it is almost deliberately incomprehensible. The writing is shit, the effects and cgi are work-experience standard, the story makes no sense from the beginning and doesn't even cohere under its own rules.

Just shit. 2

Old Boy. Yes, the Spike Lee remake of the fan favourite Korean original, story sees a rotter kidnapped and imprisoned for 20 years for mysterious reasons by persons unknown. I liked it quite a bit, it's a bit po-faced but less hysterical than the Korean one. Spike Lee does get a bit carried away and over-directs some of it to the point of intrusion - one scene filmed in a single take just screeches "Look! Look though!! This is all one take! Yes, even with those shootings and stuff. I'm so cool". It isn't. It is long though, and has two of the most ghastly pantomime performances from actors; Samuel L Jackson and Sharlto Copley. Seeing SLJ be rubbish in it, you almost want to say "of course", because he's always rubbish in everything now. But he didn't used to be, so it still feels a shame and a disappointment. I'll get used to it eventually I suppose, or just avoid films he's in.

Quite good overall. 5.5
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Hooli @ Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:04 pm

I liked RIPD, as a brain out laugh it amused me.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Jurassic World last night. It felt like a remake, was it a remake ?

Wasn't bad, maybe a 6.5
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:27 pm

I watched Blade II again the other night. And it was weird.

Realised that the reason I found it all weird was because my new big council telly has this "movie smart" feature that, if you leave it turns on, makes all your fillums look as if they were shot on videotape like Eldorado.

Apparently this is called "the soap opera effect" and it's absolutely a thing.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Diamond Cartel, a pretty terrible low budget effort which I seem to remember DaTho recommending (or posting a trailer for) but search found nothing, so I could be imagining it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6282314/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Things happen, people get shot, there is a love story plot which the whole mess tries to hang off but fails, and criminals and a big diamond. The dialogue is really terrible but is mostly dubbed (or very poor quality) and hard to understand so that is a blessing really. Peter O'Toole appears near the end playing the character Tugboat, which is a sad epitaph to a stellar career. 2/10

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efb-ZC6wbwI

I see in the trailer it boasts "This was the first product from Kazakhstan to have international distribution" a proud claim indeed
Strawman

Post by Pigeon @ Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Surely Borat got in first on that one.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 pm

We watched A Cure for Wellness last night. It's really quite odd and I can't decide if it was good or bad.

It's about a scrawny rampant capitalist who gets sent to a health farm in Switzerland to retrieve the company's head guy. Obv, when he gets there its all a bit weird and stuff happens and experiments. It's directed by Gore Verbinski and rather beautifully shot and quite spooky, but I think it should have ended differently to how it did.

6/10
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:04 pm

We're watching Rings. It's awful.
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

What was the last film you watched?

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 am

Batman versus Superman. Fcuk me they strung that out, and Ben Affleck as Batman ? Who's bright idea was that ? 2.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit.
Last edited by DI Burnside on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DI Burnside

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Watched Logan last night. Long and tbh quite gruelling at times. Once you'd got past Patrick X swearing and Stephen Merchant playing Stephen Merchant it was just a bit of a formulaic grizzled old guy doesn't want to save young character but ends up doing exactly that film.

In earlier films we had Wolverine was fighting in the American Civil War and WW I & sequel and he looked exactly like he did in the year 2000. Suddenly he's become an old and injured man? And all other mutes are dead except Prof X. What?

Some superb scenes, especially the characters frozen by Prof X being slowly stabbed by Logan. Ultimately too long though. Probably my least favourite Marvel until someone reminds me of a worse one.
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:32 am

Iron Man 2? Iron man 3?

I thought it was good apart from Merchant. He's older coz future.
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:23 am

I thought X-Men and Avengers were different things? I didn't think there was any crossover there?

Also I'm sure there was an X-Men film where current Wolverine went into the future and saw future Wolverine. Or was it the other way round?
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:34 am

Ah yes entirely true. I was tired. In that case Xmen 3. Which was poo.

Days of future past was the one that hacked the timeline about and reset the clocks as it were.

I think the idea with Logan was it being the future of this new future, set in the future as in a time when everyone was ooooooold and thus conveniently acted as a swan song for both Stewart and Huge Ackman.
Käsemeister

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am

Logan is a funny one for me. I've not seen it because it sits in that weird space occupied by films you simultaneously want to see but don't actually want to watch, if you know what I mean? On paper, I like the idea of a tired, worn out Wolverine making his sort of last stand and it having a grim, Cormack McCarthy wild west vibe about it, but I actually can't be fcuked watching it.

It'll be a long haul flight movie, I reckon.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:48 am

San Andreas. Run of the mill disaster storyline but pretty well done. 6.5
DI Burnside

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Käsemeister wrote: conveniently acted as a swan song for both Stewart and Huge Ackman.

That's how it felt tbh
thekungfury

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 pm

You've gotta admit that Marvel have milked the Comic Multiverse of Film pretty successfully though.

I liked Logan purely because I have a terrible memory for where sequels or prequels lie in their timelines; with that confusion eliminated, it is a long though good-looking film with plenty of up-to-date wizardry of imaginative ways to kill/revive/save people and modify/chase/destroy vehicles. I also liked its more grounded, wild-west style in keeping with Logan's more low-fi superpowers. It required Hugh Jackman to act, as he always does, competently and authentically to the character.

Having said that though, I look forward to the irreverent relief that Deadpool 2 should bring from the seriousness and stresses of saving the world from endless brinkmanship.
Barbarianna

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:48 pm

As an aside, au sujet de superhero films:

Does anyone else feel that they get shitter and shitter the further away they get from the original 'origin' film? Especially Marvel.

Iron Man was really good. Captain America too. And then they sort of interlink them all and get all storeyliney and rubbish and I just hate them. The recent Avengers films have been utterly impenetrable to me. But not so long ago I watched Dr Cumberbatch ad it was actually quite good again. And also Ant Man, which I automatically hated because Paul Rudd and because fcuking ant man, and yet it had a sort of freshness about it that the Avengers series seems to lack.

Just me?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Also, forget DC as apart from Batman, they are just a sea of shit. Superman Vs Batman FFS.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm

Disastrous wrote:As an aside, au sujet de superhero films:

Does anyone else feel that they get shitter and shitter the further away they get from the original 'origin' film? Especially Marvel.

Iron Man was really good. Captain America too. And then they sort of interlink them all and get all storeyliney and rubbish and I just hate them. The recent Avengers films have been utterly impenetrable to me. But not so long ago I watched Dr Cumberbatch ad it was actually quite good again. And also Ant Man, which I automatically hated because Paul Rudd and because fcuking ant man, and yet it had a sort of freshness about it that the Avengers series seems to lack.

Just me?

It's the same with TV series. They start out all flashy and fresh, like say Marvel's Iron Fist, but ebb towards a predictable indulgence of trivial daily relationship travails and betrayals-by-numbers that could be stolen from an Eastenders template. I guess it is harder to make new and imaginative plotlines in keeping with the superpower hook than it is to bed down and pique the viewer's interest with a burgeoning romance.
Last edited by Barbarianna on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarianna

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Barbarianna wrote:

Just me?

It's the same with TV series. They start out all flashy and fresh, like say Marvel's Iron Fist, but ebb towards a predictable indulgence of trivial daily relationship travails and betrayals-by-numbers that could be stolen from an Eastenders template. I guess it is harder to make new and imaginative plotlines in keeping with the superpower hook than it is to bed down and pique the viewer's interest with a burgeoning romance.

True dat. Also, the new Lethal Weapon which I have been quite enjoying, did a big shit on itself at the season finale by joining up loads of plot points and getting into The Bigger Picture. It's really better as a light 'adventure per week' cop action thing.

See also X Files and so on.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm

T.S. Eliot wrote:For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with Spiderman reboots;
Strawman

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:08 pm

Strawman wrote:

T.S. Eliot wrote:For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with Spiderman reboots;

Crash Test Dummies wrote:Some Day I'll wear
Pyjamas in the daytime

Some day I'll have
A disappearing Hairline

Woo-ooo-ooo-oah afternoons
Will be measured out
Measured out,
Measured in coffee spoons.
Barbarianna

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Ear worm, you fcuker!
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Barbarianna wrote:

Just me?

True dat. Also, the new Lethal Weapon which I have been quite enjoying, did a big shit on itself at the season finale by joining up loads of plot points and getting into The Bigger Picture. It's really better as a light 'adventure per week' cop action thing.

I'm still enjoying all the new Lethal Weapon series, but I think I'm a few behind. I don't like the sound of everything tying up nearly though - I'd rather it just carried on as a case of the week with a bit of background arc.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Barbarianna wrote:

Just me?

I'm still enjoying all the new Lethal Weapon series, but I think I'm a few behind. I don't like the sound of everything tying up nearly though - I'd rather it just carried on as a case of the week with a bit of background arc.

Yeah, the very last episode is a bit of a shit!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm

thekungfury wrote:Ear worm, you fcuker!

That is a great earworm, and you should be thankful. Great for gardening in particular.

See also REM's "Its the end of the world as we know it, And I feel fine.."

NB it's a pity that the keyboard doesn't have a melody symbol (quaver?) readily available to put alongside any choon lyricz. A massive omission, come to think of it.
Barbarianna

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Strawman

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Strawman wrote:

How?
Barbarianna

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Strawman