What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 pm

I watched Kill Command last night. It was quite good. Robots and soldiers and stuff. if you liked Spectral, you'll probably like this.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I watched 'The Ritual' at the weekend. It's a sort-of-generic into the woods-type horror, but the good quality of casting (Rafe Spall was the lead) and decent pacing raised it above the norm.
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm

A double bill of Cloverfields, 10 Cloverfield Lane and The Cloverfield Paradox. Watched back to back in order, neither of which I'd seen before.

I'd wanted to watch 10CL for ages because I liked what I knew of the idea and I swoon for MEW. Here is what I knew: a girl wakes up after a car accident in an underground survivalist bunker, seemingly the unwilling guest of an on-the-edge prepper when he insists a catastrophe has befallen the world and survival outside the bunker is now impossible.

Here is what I expected to see: the girl is suspicious of the bunker man but he is initially kind and wins her over to believing the surface is now inhospitable. But viewer doubts remain as to whether he is telling the truth, and the girl finds mounting evidence that he has made everything up to keep her prisoner, until she is convinced he is lying and escapes the bunker - only to discover he was telling the truth after all!!!!1

I was disappointed how much of the story I was able to guess purely because to me that's the obvious story to tell in this scenario. But 10CL told it well and then went bananas for the last half hour and left my guesswork crashed in the dust. Nevertheless I enjoyed watching it very much, was delighted by MEW as always and mildly surprised by the diverting level of violence and horror kicking about when I'd expected something more of a psychological thriller. The finale and reveal are utterly mad, but I especially liked that because it felt like the stories I've pondered myself where characters in a genre film are oblivious to the genre they inhabit until suddenly it impinges on events and properly ruins their day (imagine Friday The 13th entirely from the perspective of one of Jason's victims without any slasher context until wham!, axe through the face, bye! Well, that).

Liked this, and I think it's into the sevens, so 7.1

Then there was The Cloverfield Paradox which everybody has watched anyway of course because of the successful surprise marketing. The story of a space station crew testing a gigantic experimental particle accelerator to find a new energy source for an Earth stricken with fuel and power shortages, and poised on the edge of international collapse. The experiment doesn't behave itself properly and its consequences cram in a retconned explanation for all the giant monster monkeying about that defined the Cloverfield franchise, and indeed sneakily derives a hook on which to hang all the Cloverfields as a connected franchise instead of just a nominal marketing flimp.

But sweep all the Cloverbaggage to one side and what's left is a film that's crudely written and plotted with random preposterous events. I couldn't believe some (a lot) of the dialogue - not because I was unable to suspend my disbelief while watching a science fiction film, but instead because I couldn't fathom how the film got actually made using these words instead of having a script writer go through it all and make it sound like a professional had done it instead of a sixth former.

Even more surprising were an excellent internationally diverse cast, doing some nice work in places. It felt a lot as if someone had remade Event Horizon but been told to make it not a horror film. Decent effects as well, but sadly all just really silly. I enjoyed it sufficiently to watch all the way through without ever feeling bored or angry. Although once I had triumphantly made it to the end I was rewarded with a Cloverending so crassly wedged into place that I ffs!ed to myself under my breath.

I wasn't cross, just disappointed.

5.1 if I'm generous. And I am generous.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Saw I, Tonya at the weekend. Fantastic fillum and fantastic performances. 9/10.
ttwiggy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:14 pm

ttwiggy wrote:I watched 'The Ritual' at the weekend. It's a sort-of-generic into the woods-type horror, but the good quality of casting (Rafe Spall was the lead) and decent pacing raised it above the norm.

We watched this at the weekend too. I quite liked it - I'm a bit of a Rafe Spall fan anyway and it reminded me a bit of Kill List for some reason.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by stuart @ Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:I watched 'The Ritual' at the weekend. It's a sort-of-generic into the woods-type horror, but the good quality of casting (Rafe Spall was the lead) and decent pacing raised it above the norm.

We watched this at the weekend too. I quite liked it - I'm a bit of a Rafe Spall fan anyway and it reminded me a bit of Kill List for some reason.

I've read the book, the first half of it is great, really tense. Second half is all, "oh ffs really" and it goes a bit to shit.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 pm

stuart wrote:

I've read the book, the first half of it is great, really tense. Second half is all, "oh ffs really" and it goes a bit to shit.

Haven't read the book so couldn't comment. It's not a great film, but in a genre that is currently sorely lacking in any quality at all it is superior to most.
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:38 am

ttwiggy wrote:
stuart wrote:

Haven't read the book so couldn't comment. It's not a great film, but in a genre that is currently sorely lacking in any quality at all it is superior to most.

If the genre you mean is British horror, then the upcoming Ghost Stories looks good -

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOoZgb7mycg
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 am

That looks excellent!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:34 am

I watched a couple of Marvel films recently. Never read the comics but buy into the Marvel Universe.

Thor: Ragnarok
I found it as funny as everyone says. Several genuine lol out loud moments. Very entertaining and slots nicely into the Marvel storylines. 7.5

Panther: Black
Slightly jarring. It doesn’t fit into the Marvel universe at all tbh. He appeared briefly in the Civil War film but his inclusion was odd and unexplained. There’s the whole vibranium thing to tie it in but, well, it’s basically a standalone film. Anyway I was left with a bit of a “Meh, it’s OK” feeling. Cool seeing Wallace from The Wire all grown up (and how, swoon). 6
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:44 am

Three for you today:

Annihilation

Thinky sci fi from Alex Garland, with Natalie Portman's biologist part of a science team exploring The Shimmer - an expanding zone of reality distortion twisting the laws of nature in the swampland of the deep South. Fascinating and beautiful and bizarre, more Tarkovsky-esque art pondering than computers and guns. Although also computers and guns. The film looks amazing and knows exactly what it wants to show you and tell you, but in choosing those things it very deliberately doesn't tell you everything and leaves you to fill in the gaps. I suspect it's also heavily allegorical, and I don't like allegorical stories because I'm thick and miss the meaning.

I enjoyed it even though it was ambiently dull (on purpose) and left me mildly baffled yet intrigued enough to google to see what it was supposed to mean. Certainly not the mind-expanding humdinger some reviews have suggested. 5.9

Mute

Duncan (Moon, Source Code) Jones new pet project sci fi, with a voiceless Amish man in future Germany searching for his missing (kidnapped? absconded? murdered?) girlfriend. Looks fantastic, in a sub BR style with neon and gigantic floating adverts and a skyful of delivery drones and hovering taxis. Shambolic plotting is all over the place, but fascinating - characters of seeming-importance flit in and out and weaving storylines intersect and vie for your attention. It's as though it's culled together out of a six-episode mini series - leaving all the key elements there but with a lot of the connecting tissue and context edited for pacing.

Although that can't be the case because the pacing is bafflingly eccentric too. Car chases segue into wood carving, into brutal punch ups into quiet contemplative sitting down.

Two things I particularly enjoyed were both Paul Rudd: his ferocious anti-paedophile campaign and his massive moustache.

I enjoyed it more than Annihilation, even though it's not as "good". Perhaps Mute better showcases the tumbling, confused, exciting ideas of its maker better than Annihilation showcases the laser-accurate streamlined existential thoughtplots of its? Dunno.

Tomb Raider

Took my son to see this yesterday, as a pretext. He wanted to see it and I'd been looking forward to it for ages. I had the trepidation borne from anticipation, as well as the thrill - so it could have gone strongly either way. Sadly, the film is just fine. It's neither an abject disapointment of massive eyerolling shame, nor a delightful thrill ride of exciting treats. But somewhere in between.

Alicia Vikander is fine as Lara Croft, stoic personality beaming through her running and jumping and frowning at things performance. The action sequences are fine, well-realised and achieving genuine slight jeopardy. The story is fine, essentially a Happy Meal retelling of the plot of the reboot game from about five years ago, but disappointingly shorn of a lot of the that story's exploration and mysticism.

And utterly bereft of any supernatural element, I was surprised to find myself disappointed at. To me Tomb Raider is as much about sudden bonkers ridiculousness as it is about the leaping around and falling off things. So I was glum that the game's terrifying undead super-samurai ogres were missing, leaving just Walton Goggins with his starey eyes and his terrible hair remaining as antagonist.

Not bad, but a shame. Fine.

Literally a 5.9
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by chinkypig @ Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:32 pm

The Ritual.

Better than it could have been but worse than I had hoped.
Not killing off your most likeable character as motivation for the others might have made it better.
The remaining lot although relatable overall, are hard to get behind and some humour before the inevitable moaning starts could have made the future meat puppets endearing.

Still atmospheric and above average though.

Happy Death Day.

Quite a bit of fun once I warmed up to the lead and doesn’t lose (too) much by hanging a PG13 label on to attract the kidz.
For a less genre savvy audience but still an enjoyable view imo.
chinkypig

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Veronica. Spanish (subtitled) film about a teenage girl who has occult mishaps after trying to contact her dead father. Bit slow, nicely-shot. 7.5
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:25 pm

CJ+ wrote:Veronica. Spanish (subtitled) film about a teenage girl who has occult mishaps after trying to contact her dead father. Bit slow, nicely-shot. 7.5
Fancy watching this. I've read a couple of articles suggesting it's the most frightening thing since sliced scary bread.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:06 am

Triple 9

Cops and robbers and more cops. And robbers. Dirty cops tangled up with the Russian mafia pull off some heists in a gritty action thriller with an excellent cast, filmed unfortunately in almost total darkness. No real characterisation beyond the actions and functions of the characters themselves, but brilliantly exciting action setpieces, especially the extended opening bank robbery and chase that sets up a genuinely fantastic high octane Heat-esque thriller - which sadly never arrives.

I enjoyed it tremendously as I was watching it, but returns diminished in the third third so that I noticed more and more the thinness of the script and characters, and the contrived twists of the plot. If I had to draw a graph of how good it was it would be a triangle with a couple of points plotted at the top labelled Chiwetel Ejiofor and Norman Reedus.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:17 pm

Gods Of Egypt.

Incomprehensible bollocks.
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 am

CJ+ wrote:Gods Of Egypt.

Terrible but no more incomprehensible but your average Marvel blockbuster imo, more logic to the super beings and a more coherent world view in many ways.
Strawman

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:13 am

We watched 'Good Times' this weekend. Robert Pattinson looking almost unrecognisable and putting in a really good performance as an on-the-edge minor felon. Redolent of 'Panic in Needle Park' with a real 70s vibe running throughout (despite modern day setting) and some lovely cinematography. Would recommend.
ttwiggy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:18 am

Stranded.
I feel you like your films about survival at sea then this is standard fayre but also worth watching. It's based on a real story which is essential and although not as good as All Is Lost, it flew by and explores the dynamic of the relationships between the crew. 6/10
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:48 am

Strawman wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Gods Of Egypt.

Terrible but no more incomprehensible but your average Marvel blockbuster imo, more logic to the super beings and a more coherent world view in many ways.

I'm not a fan of superhero films at all - the only one I've enjoyed in recent years is Deadpool, mainly because it's quite funny.
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Thor Ragnarok is supposed to be funny as well, but I've not seen it yet. Mostly I'm also not that into Superhero stuff, Batman is OK*, and I enjoyed some of the series on Netflix, where the super powers are marginal and there is more about coping with everyday life thrown in.

* But I'd need an infinite lifetime before I watched Batman versus Superman frample.
Last edited by Strawman on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 am

^^^^^

We tell the poor cnut to post stuff and then that happens!
ttwiggy

Post by Eddie Strohacker @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 am

What the fcuking fcuk??!!
Eddie Strohacker

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:12 am

Pidge your funny auto censor thing seriously needs to be adjusted - showing people's email address like that is really off.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 am

Also, it's not funny.
CJ+

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:27 pm

My fit neighbour wants to see this film with me: I Got Life

https://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Got-Life-Aurore-DVD/dp/B079VTLYXV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522149897&sr=8-2&keywords=i+got+life

How shit is it?
Is it so bad that you'd only watch it if sex after it was guaranteed?

Obv these are questions for the CFTmen.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Turntable @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 pm

How would we know? We already have wives/girlfriends.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Black Panther.

It’s fine. Bit of a Hollywood blackwash but still quite entertaining.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Turntable wrote:How would we know? We already have wives/girlfriends.

Ah yes, you'd HAVE to watch it and then not have sex after anyway.

So..Is the film shit?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Freddie @ Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Rotten Toms 88% Cesar award-winner Agnes Jaoui gives an intelligent and affecting performance as Aurore; fifty, flirty and not so-thriving, her world is turned upside down when a past flame returns, reigniting her lust for life and love. A witty and wonderful ode to embracing age whilst staying young.

You are welcome.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club