What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Logan. Really really long.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:45 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Logan. Really really long.

I've slept on it now, and will say a bit more. I liked it, and I can see why lots of people are ecstatic about it - but while it is good, I don't think it's excellent the ground-breaking wonder others seem to. Patrick Stewart is brilliant in it, Hugh Jackman is very good as well. The swearing and violence that pepper every scene feel intrinsic and correct, and made me wonder why we haven't laughed at all the previous Xmen films for being neutered and child-friendly. It isn't entirely unlike other superheroey films though - there's still mutant powers going on and cartoon villains.

It really is long though. There were a number of times when I thought to myself how it seemed to be going on for ever, which doesn't quite equate to being bored but isn't far off it. It didn't help that there was literally a fortnight of trailers beforehand, including an extra-bonus extended trailer mini featurette on Ghost In The Shell, and what felt like the entire of Fast/Furious 8. And then even after the bbfc certificate had appeared onscreen, there was a tedious one-joke teaser for Deadpool 2 that waaay outstayed its welcome for several minutes. I was in my seat for almost three hours. Logan itself is just shy of 140 minutes. Long.

Still. Everybody loves it so it's probably just me being reactionary and mean. It was good though and probably worth a 7. Maybe even some fractions more.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:33 am

Exactly where we ended up. Great Film that only just hung on to avoiding being boring. Felt an awful lot longer than it actually was.
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Amazing how good no-budget rubbish films can look nowadays, with HD video cameras the size of your eyeball and drone cameras smoothly zooming around the scenery. I just watched a cheapo film where some Vikings shipwrecked in Scotland are forced to flee from angry locals because of a reason, meaning a ninety minute foot chase interspersed with brutal swordplay and a little splashy gore.

And it looked great. Atmospheric and beautiful and thrilling, and with just enough story and semi well-written script to make it fly by. Northmen: A Viking Saga is enough fun to be worth watching if you're in an undemanding mood and can stand a Burger King version of Chris Hemsworth glowering at that anonymous skinhead spam trumpet they thought​ would suitably stand in for The Stath if we weren't paying attention watching the Transporter reboot.

I enjoyed it, but i wouldn't advise it. 5.1

e: oh, and astonishing nonsense pulled off right at the end in an effort to stump up an entirely unnecessary jump scare. Ridic.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by spast1kunt @ Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:24 pm

It is impressive how much can be done on a low budget but equally though DaTho it's still obvious when you watch Game Of Thrones next to, for example, Vikings, which is the big-budget production.

I don't know why it is exactly. Probably Dis might be able to tell us, like KM did about music production values recently.
spast1kunt

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:13 am

Disastrous wrote:Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them = Fantastic Shit, Found at the Cinema

In fairness, I didn't hate it as much as I hate the Harry Potter films and ironically Germany, who wanted to see this and loves the Harry Potter films, hated it more than I.

It was alright, i suppose. I don't really like Eddie Redmayne so that's a major stumbling block. Beyond that, I found the setting and story much better than the Potter series. I hate their backstory of 'Wizarding Society' and this focused less on the big story and more on this particular story. Also, there's a cool sequence where he goes 'into the case' which was really well done with CG, I thought, and reminded me a bit of Avatar.

Also, does anyone else think she is almost really pretty but actually looks like she'd knife you?

3/10

Some fun cgi, but too much cgi, the story made little sense and despite being a long film, clearly an awful lot is on the cutting room floor.

Oh and the "twist" at the end made me sigh. Not looking forward to the FOUR sequels now.
Käsemeister

What was the last film you watched?

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Hacksaw Ridge. Not really my sort of film but the opportunity arose to watch it so I did just to have a breather from bingeing on box sets. Much of a muchness for the genre really, even with the added "true story" factor. A steady 5.
Last edited by DI Burnside on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Greg66 @ Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Watched A Streetcat Named Bob for the second time. Recommended. Much harder to watch than the trailers suggest. And the cat is ace!
Greg66

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:32 am

Most of the way through the Big Short (am poorly so was too tired) but was ace.
Doctor Congo

Post by spast1kunt @ Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:36 am

Doctor Congo wrote:Most of the way through the Big Short (am poorly so was too tired) but was ace.

I really enjoyed that too. A great cast and a good story.
spast1kunt

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 pm

I watched Kung Fu Killer yesterday and it was genuinely ace. Donnie Yen might be one of the coolest blokes in the world.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:48 am

On a whim & without really knowing anything about it, we watched Brimstone last night which seems to be a bit of a marmite film for some reviewers.

Dark and brutal and long, very long.

I went in with no real expectations but thought it was very good.

7.5 out of 3 stars
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Two films:

Kingsman. You've all seen this already of course, it's a violent pastiche of James Bondian spyery based on a comic. It's directed by Matthew Vaughn, who directed Kick Ass - and it really really feels like Kick Ass to watch. The way the violence is presented, the way the music works with the editing of the violence, the way it seems to want to snarkily comment on the genre it's pastiching while at the same time following all of that genre's cliches. I bet Jane Goldman (who wrote this) and Vaughn thought they were slyly sending up all the old Bond films when they've actually amde a film that's identical to all of them just with some extra bolt-on gore to show how clever they are.

I passably enjoyed it. But I also enjoy Bond films, and all the other spy-action type films this one seems to think it's cleverer than. I'm also getting pretty annoyed at Samuel L Jackson's performances recently - which now tend to stand outside the film he's in to such a degree that they're jarring. He used to be fun, but now he's an irritant.

Score: less than half of what's available

This is on Netflix now so I had excitedly teed it up for a post-pub Friday night's viewing. I've heard nothing but good things about it and enjoyed Kick Ass so was fairly confident that I knew what was being delivered and liked the idea of a Bourne/Bond serious-em-up.

Sadly, I fcuking hated it.

I found it just about bearable in the recruitment and training bits and then it all went properly ludicrous with goodies dying, goodies being baddies, seemingly random plot twists and bad CGI. I watched it with a mounting sense of bewilderment and by the time Firth visited the old Church in the South I genuinely had no idea what was happening.

Also, Samuel L Jackson is rapidly topping my list of most annoying actors to ruin a film. He's stopped acting completely and has seemingly decided to just 'do' Sam Jackson. The problem is Sam Jackson comes across as a completely dislikable cnut and I pretty much hate everything he does now.

Very disappointing overall.

1.5/10

Also, Avengers: Age of Ultron.

This I'd missed despite watching Civil War last year so it filled in the gaps. Annoyingly, I didn't enjoy Civil War as a result of not knowing who the red dude was etc etc and I didn't enjoy this so much as I sort of already knew how things end up. I think it was better than Civil War though so 5/10.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:42 am

Disastrous wrote:Sadly, I fcuking hated it.

bewilderment

Agree.
I also have a really block for anything like this that could be described as acaper. Unjustifiable hatred and contempt for it and I can never really understand why anyone would watch it or how it is possible to enjoy.
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:45 am

I watch Arrival at the weekend. Anyone seen it?
Basically some spaceships arrive at various points on earth and it is people trying to communicate with them to find out what they want.
Has some rave reviews and a fairly interesting premise.
I thought it was just okay. Not even that really. A bit boring and pointless. And also jumping from "wow- I recognise what they are trying to say from that symbol" to "I can fully communicate with them fluently" in 10 minutes. Ridic.
4/10, although I would be curious as to other peoples opinion as the reviews are consistently good for it.
Turntable

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 am

Turntable wrote:I watch Arrival at the weekend. Anyone seen it?
Basically some spaceships arrive at various points on earth and it is people trying to communicate with them to find out what they want.
I thought it was just okay. Not even that really. A bit boring and pointless. And also jumping from "wow- I recognise what they are trying to say from that symbol" to "I can fully communicate with them fluently" in 10 minutes. Ridic.
4/10, although I would be curious as to other peoples opinion as the reviews are consistently good for it.

People seem to be crysterbating over it, but I'm with you TT and thought it barely ok.
DI Burnside

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:57 am

Phew. I can conclude that we are correct then. Pretty much proven now.
Turntable

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:57 am

Very surprised you didn't rate it. Smartest film I've seen in ages and I thought it would be right up your street. I found it spellbinding*

We saw it in the cinema and I bought it to watch again at the w/e. Perhaps it was the lack of big screen/sound atmosphere at home or knowing the story but I didn't come away with the same erection I had on first viewing.

eta Teets you have the same opinion as Dibs. Think on that.
Last edited by thekungfury on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:31 pm

thekungfury wrote:

Very surprised you didn't rate it. Smartest film I've seen in ages and I thought it would be right up your street. I found it spellbinding*

We saw it in the cinema and I bought it to watch again at the w/e. Perhaps it was the lack of big screen/sound atmosphere at home or knowing the story but I didn't come away with the same erection I had on first viewing.

eta Teets you have the same opinion as Dibs. Think on that.

Agree, I though it was moving and not what I thought it would be.
Doctor Congo

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:17 pm

thekungfury wrote:[Very surprised you didn't rate it. Smartest film I've seen in ages and I thought it would be right up your street. I found it spellbinding*

Hmmm, interesting. To be fair to you I suspect your opinion is the majority.
I have questioned myself as to why I didn't feel like that and it was definitely that the film failed to make me care. I thought all the characters were a little bland and clichéd and as a result I was never really rooting for anyone. Once this happens it also removes all the tension from the film because you are neutral as to whether they come a cropper or not.
Its a bit odd because I thought the opening part with that woman and her daughter were very well done so I should have cared a lot but didn't, okay?
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Two films:

Kingsman. You've all seen this already of course, it's a violent pastiche of James Bondian spyery based on a comic. It's directed by Matthew Vaughn, who directed Kick Ass - and it really really feels like Kick Ass to watch. The way the violence is presented, the way the music works with the editing of the violence, the way it seems to want to snarkily comment on the genre it's pastiching while at the same time following all of that genre's cliches. I bet Jane Goldman (who wrote this) and Vaughn thought they were slyly sending up all the old Bond films when they've actually amde a film that's identical to all of them just with some extra bolt-on gore to show how clever they are.

I passably enjoyed it. But I also enjoy Bond films, and all the other spy-action type films this one seems to think it's cleverer than. I'm also getting pretty annoyed at Samuel L Jackson's performances recently - which now tend to stand outside the film he's in to such a degree that they're jarring. He used to be fun, but now he's an irritant.

Score: less than half of what's available

This is on Netflix now so I had excitedly teed it up for a post-pub Friday night's viewing. I've heard nothing but good things about it and enjoyed Kick Ass so was fairly confident that I knew what was being delivered and liked the idea of a Bourne/Bond serious-em-up.

Sadly, I fcuking hated it.

I found it just about bearable in the recruitment and training bits and then it all went properly ludicrous with goodies dying, goodies being baddies, seemingly random plot twists and bad CGI. I watched it with a mounting sense of bewilderment and by the time Firth visited the old Church in the South I genuinely had no idea what was happening.

Also, Samuel L Jackson is rapidly topping my list of most annoying actors to ruin a film. He's stopped acting completely and has seemingly decided to just 'do' Sam Jackson. The problem is Sam Jackson comes across as a completely dislikable cnut and I pretty much hate everything he does now.

Very disappointing overall.

1.5/10

Also, Avengers: Age of Ultron.

This I'd missed despite watching Civil War last year so it filled in the gaps. Annoyingly, I didn't enjoy Civil War as a result of not knowing who the red dude was etc etc and I didn't enjoy this so much as I sort of already knew how things end up. I think it was better than Civil War though so 5/10.

Agree on SLJ, boring and irritating now.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Wild Tales. An Argentinian portmanteau story composed of six(?) twisty tales of revenge. Surprisingly mostly good, but less so as it goes on; the first and third are the best I think - the first one is superb, takes place entirely before the opening titles and is like an eight-minute pocket-sized episode of the Twilight Zone. After that they get incrementally less essential, and if you turn it off as the final wedding one starts you'll have a very satisfactory viewing experience.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Wild Tales. An Argentinian portmanteau story composed of six(?) twisty tales of revenge. Surprisingly mostly good, but less so as it goes on; the first and third are the best I think - the first one is superb, takes place entirely before the opening titles and is like an eight-minute pocket-sized episode of the Twilight Zone. After that they get incrementally less essential, and if you turn it off as the final wedding one starts you'll have a very satisfactory viewing experience.

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed that and one of those little original gems that are great
Turntable

Post by stuart @ Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Trash Fire

A young couple having a troubled relationship visit the boyfriends estranged grandmother and sister. It starts off as a dark comedy, he's a cuntbwho drinks too much and treats her like shit, she gives him a last chance.

The first half was really good then it turns into something really fcuking dark!

I liked it a lot.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Strawman @ Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Kill the Irishman

This is a really terrible film, despite the all star cast, bad dialogue, slow paced, not believable in anyway really, despite being based on a true story. Good points are the title (obvs.) his wife is nice to look at, as is his later girlfriend. Sun washed out 1970's grimy Cleveland is well depicted, it almost so bad it's comical but not quite (Vinny Jones doing an Irish accent is quite funny). I can't believe it scores 7.1 on IMDb, my score 3/10.
Strawman

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 pm

Strawman wrote:Kill the Irishman

This is a really terrible film, despite the all star cast, bad dialogue, slow paced, not believable in anyway really, despite being based on a true story. Good points are the title (obvs.) his wife is nice to look at, as is his later girlfriend. Sun washed out 1970's grimy Cleveland is well depicted, it almost so bad it's comical but not quite (Vinny Jones doing an Irish accent is quite funny). I can't believe it scores 7.1 on IMDb, my score 3/10.

Oh, Cleveland Ohio.

Not Cleveland where Middlesbrough is.

Took me a second :)
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Yes I forgot about the original Cleveland which no doubt provided the name for the New World version.
Strawman

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:32 pm

The thing is "1970s grimy Cleveland" is completely plausible.
CJ+

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:26 pm

For some reason I read the title and thought "Kill the wabbit"

https://youtu.be/wGhQ2BDt4VE
Doctor Congo

Post by Barbarianna @ Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:56 am

Death Race 2050.

Only about 45 minutes in so far; will watch the rest tomorrow.

So far though..
Quite a good hoot.

A satirical B-movie with cartoonish characters in comically rubbish cars rattling around the USA in VR, to baying national audiences in stadia and at home, lapping up every death chalked up. Plenty of cheap and dark gags to keep the head going, while the eyes lap up an entertaining montage of cannonball-run style shots and skullduggery.

MadMax meets Hunger Games meets Army of Darkness meets Bad Taste.

It is probably not as good as any of those, but I think it knows that. It is as throwaway as the culture it satirises, and the actors are all dialled in to the same tone of delivery.

So far a solid 7.
Barbarianna

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club