What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Strawman @ Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am

Apparently it the only movie that matters in 2017

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/roger- ... 17-9549938
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:47 pm

My goodness, I've just realised! Thornfest '17 starts this weekend. That's come round quickly! I haven't checked the schedules, but i think the opening film is Ben Wheatley's new one, Free Fire.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:16 pm

I'm excited even though I don't know what it involves. Good luck Dammo.
Strawman

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:00 am

David Brent: Life on the Road

Fcuking awful. 0/10.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Hooli @ Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:08 am

Why would you expect anything else? He's famous for being totally unfunny, the office was proof of that.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 am

Usually the other characters he c eaters are the funny ones, The Office and Derek were funny because of that, it's just him that isn't funny, and the film was all about him.

He can write funny, he just can't be funny.
DI Burnside

Post by Hooli @ Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 am

I never found the office even slightly amusing tbh.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Otto Sump @ Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:37 pm

We watched "Allied" last night. Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard are spies in WW2 and get all loved up in Casablanca, then move back to Blighty to live a normal life. Or do they?

Very good, a few twists and plenty of action. A solid 8 out of 10.
Otto Sump

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:44 am

Strawman wrote:I'm excited even though I don't know what it involves. Good luck Dammo.

Thornfest happens every year when my wife takes the children to visit her parents for a week or two, and I get to watch lots of films in the evenings. I was going to sneak to the cinema on my own yesterday to watch Free Fire, but I didn't - I stayed in and did some tidying and cleaning and laundry. So the first film of Thornfest '17 has ended up being -

Pound Of Flesh - an action film with JCVD as a special ops agent in the Philipines who wakes up one morning to find his kidney has been stolen so sets out to get it back. It's ludicrous, and JCVD looks the absolute definition of a sex tourist throughout, with his yellow-tinted glasses and black dadjeans and outsize leather biker jacket and hair glistening like a fresh cowpat down the back of his head. It has the literally worst car chase of all time, that begins with his signature splits up the side of a car in extended slow motion. The film also showcases VD stabbing someone's eye out with a Gideon Bible, reveals that effective counter-surveillance consists of simply getting out of a car while you're following someone, and features the creepiest child since that eleven-year-old breastfeeding zombie one in Burial Ground. And it includes scenes where people have seemingly been cgi'ed into a parked car to simply hold a conversation. Totally daft. 3.5
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:27 am

Arrival.

Thankfully I watched it alone as I wouldn't have been able to explain the ending.
I have no idea what went on.

0/10
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minimoog @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:30 am

Il Duce wrote:Arrival.

Thankfully I watched it alone as I wouldn't have been able to explain the ending.

0/10

Sorry but I'm afraid it's brilliant.

http://screenrant.com/arrival-movie-2016-ending-time-explained/
minimoog

Post by spast1kunt @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 am

With regard to Thornfest, I'm not quite sure I understand why you're taking the opportunity to watch a bad film when you could watch a good film DaTho.
spast1kunt

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:03 pm

I never really know whether something will be good or rubbish until I've watched it. IlD just hated Arrival xxxx, that others liked.

As a further xxxx, i think i liked the JCVD more than i liked Avengers Age Of Ultron.

I've also watched High-Rise and Stonehurst Asylum, which were better - but i haven't told you about them yet. Tonight might well be The Girl With All The Gifts, or Blue Ruin.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Hooli @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Stonehurst Asylum is excellent.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Hooli wrote:Stonehurst Asylum is excellent.

I'll tell you what i thought when I've got some time later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 am

Stonehearst Asylum looked like it was going to be another one of those he-was-mad-all-along! films, but that was probably because I watched it without really knowing anything about it other than the title and the poster and Kate Beckinsale. So I was quite surprised when it turned out to be a rollicking Hammer-esque thriller of an asylum caper - with brutality and mongoloids and shocking treatment of Victorian mental patients.

It was directed by Brad Anderson, whose only other film I've seen was also set in an old mental hospital, and coincidentally turned out to be a he-was-mad-all-along! story - albeit along different lines. I passably enjoyed SA although it was quite superficial, romping along piling up chaos and avoiding showing the limitations of Kate Beckinsale's acting skills. It's full of other high calibre actors, like Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley - which certainly fulfil the acting quota. I hadn't seen the lead actor who plays the new young doctor before, unless you include Monty Python, because he is the absolute ringer of young Michael Palin.

Anyway. All fine, but unremarkable. 5

After that I watched High-Rise (more later), and then Blue Ruin (more later)
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Strawman wrote:I'm excited even though I don't know what it involves. Good luck Dammo.

Thornfest happens every year when my wife takes the children to visit her parents for a week or two, and I get to watch lots of films in the evenings. I was going to sneak to the cinema on my own yesterday to watch Free Fire, but I didn't - I stayed in and did some tidying and cleaning and laundry. So the first film of Thornfest '17 has ended up being -

Pound Of Flesh - an action film with JCVD as a special ops agent in the Philipines who wakes up one morning to find his kidney has been stolen so sets out to get it back. It's ludicrous, and JCVD looks the absolute definition of a sex tourist throughout, with his yellow-tinted glasses and black dadjeans and outsize leather biker jacket and hair glistening like a fresh cowpat down the back of his head. It has the literally worst car chase of all time, that begins with his signature splits up the side of a car in extended slow motion. The film also showcases VD stabbing someone's eye out with a Gideon Bible, reveals that effective counter-surveillance consists of simply getting out of a car while you're following someone, and features the creepiest child since that eleven-year-old breastfeeding zombie one in Burial Ground. And it includes scenes where people have seemingly been cgi'ed into a parked car to simply hold a conversation. Totally daft. 3.5

I saw this, and I concur with your review.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 am

minimoog wrote:

0/10

Fine but did you understand that from watching the film or by reading about it?

Having read that explanation it wasn't far away from what I thought happened but I'd dismissed it as it didn't make sense.
Now with the gaps filled it does, but I still didn't think that much of it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by span @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:35 am

I saw Arrival this weekend, too, and I thought it was wonderful. Extremely moving and just beautiful in story and to look at.

The most interesting and moving film I've seen since Room, I think.
span

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

span wrote:I saw Arrival this weekend, too, and I thought it was wonderful. Extremely moving and just beautiful in story and to look at.

The most interesting and moving film I've seen since Room, I think.

There! No wonder I didn't understand it.
It was moving and so it was made for girls brains.

N.B. Spangna, I'm not saying that in a derogatory way.

Minimoog did you cry at all during the film?

<changes minimoogs birthday present to something pink>
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Zod @ Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:16 am

minimoog wrote:

0/10

Watched it last night and thought it was very good.
Zod

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:44 am

I need to catch up with telling you about things:

High-Rise - satirical/metaphorical story as residents of an exclusive brutalist modern tower block descend into class-based factions and chaos in the seventies. Ooh, mirroring Thatcher's Britain, with uncollected bin bags piled in the corridors and working people shunned by the more important elite. It starts well, brilliantly observed and slyly written, and making its 70s setting somehow feel like the actual future. But as events spiral into violence and horror it was less and less enjoyable. Good cast, doing good acting, but the fun reduced drastically as it went on until nearing the end it was quite unlikeable. Probably on purpose. I was glad when it ended. 4

The Nice Guys - again we're in the 70s, this time a pair of mismatched detectives trying haplessly to solve a murder / missing person case. Written and directed by Shane Black, who pretty much invented this stuff when he came up with Lethal Weapon, this takes the route of his Kiss Kiss Bang Bang to provide much more comedy during the thrills. And it is very very funny. Ryan Gosling is genuinely hilarious in it, all the time. Even when he's not saying something, he's somehow funny. But it's the dialogue that is so superbly funny. Very well written and stuff. Don't say and stuff, just say very well written. 7.2

Let Us Prey - basically Event Horizon in a police station. A mysterious stranger locked up in the cells seems to be the catalyst for a series of gruesome and horrific events. Fine. Short and fine. Although a strange dreamlike tone made it all seem as though any minute the characters would wake up. Starred Polyanna McKintosh, who is usally quite strange looking, but is less so in this. 4.7
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 pm

minimoog wrote:

0/10

I mentioned previously that I thought this film was a bit tedious. I read your link to see if there was anything I missed. There wasn't, and it reminded me of how tedious the film actually was.
Just reading a few words of that and reminds me of the whole resounding feeling of "who gives a fcuk?" that filled my mind throughout.
Turntable

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I still want to watch Arrival, perhaps even more so now i know its divided people so much. I hope i really like it and then i can lord it over you saying you only didn't like it because you didn't understand it I'm afraid.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I still want to watch Arrival, perhaps even more so now i know its divided people so much. I hope i really like it and then i can lord it over you saying you only didn't like it because you didn't understand it I'm afraid.

The fact you know there is something to understand has already made the film worse for you. It's a far better film to go into blind.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I still want to watch Arrival, perhaps even more so now i know its divided people so much. I hope i really like it and then i can lord it over you saying you only didn't like it because you didn't understand it I'm afraid.

The fact you know there is something to understand has already made the film worse for you. It's a far better film to go into blind.

Gah!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Gah!

I went into it blind and thought "I wish I had advance warning of how boring this would be and then I could have either not watched it, or might have been a bit more bored-prepared" so all is not lost Damo
Turntable

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Turntable wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Gah!

I went into it blind and thought "I wish I had advance warning of how boring this would be and then I could have either not watched it, or might have been a bit more bored-prepared" so all is not lost Damo

I concur. AND I bought a new copy not the usual second hand one. What a waste of money!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Andy T Archer @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:18 am

Arrival made me cross. Properly cross.

And now I have read the explanation of the ending I am even crosserer.

For me it was like listening to a beautiful song. Perfectly crafted in timbre and tempo that made your heart soar like a soaring thing and at the same time let you experience the deepest depths of despair. And because the songwriter couldn't find a decent way to end this masterpiece they decided to throw a piano, a euphonium and a penny whistle down the stairs in the hope that would do it.

From a strictly non linear, non Newtonian perspective I give it a 1 and 10 out of 3.14

Also, why is it that these aliens come halfway across the galaxy and still haven't worked out that we don't speak the same language. They have massively advanced technology and leave the translation to creatures that have trouble boiling an egg.

Also also. What sort of gift is the gift of language. For fluff sake. We already do language. And speaking.

Alien 1 - "We shall give you a gift that will help you travel around your planet in a comfortable manner. Behold our munificence"
Us - "Thanks. So - what is this gift?"
Alien 1 - "It is a foot covering that will protect you from sharp objects on the floor such as Lego"
Us - "Okaay. You have come bearing
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • slippers
. We already have those. What else have you got?"
Alien 2 - "See - I told you we should have given them something they didn't have like unlimited renewable energy or something. Or an Argos voucher"
Alien 1 - (sad sigh)"Ok - lets go home. If we are quick we can watch the last bit of the Antiques Roadshow"
Last edited by Andy T Archer on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy T Archer

Post by minimoog @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:49 am

Andy T Archer wrote:Alien 1 - "We shall give you a gift that will help you travel around your planet in a comfortable manner. Behold our munificence"
Us - "Thanks. So - what is this gift?"
Alien 1 - "It is a foot covering that will protect you from sharp objects on the floor such as Lego"
Us - "Okaay. You have come bearing slippers. We already have those. What else have you got?"
Alien 2 - "See - I told you we should have given them something they didn't have like unlimited renewable energy or something. Or an Argos voucher"
Alien 1 - (sad sigh)"Ok - lets go home. If we are quick we can watch the last bit of the Antiques Roadshow"

You might want to spoiler that.

Er, oops.
minimoog

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club