What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:50 am

22 Bullets, a fronch gangster flick about les fronch gangsters et flics, which appealed to me because Braquo and also Jean Reno. JR is a retired don in Marseille who suffers an assassination attempt when he is shot with 22 bullets !!111 but doesn't die and goes off to retribute himself all over the responsible perps. It's ok, he's good and it looks good. But about halfway through I felt the nagging suspicion I might have seen it before. Couldn't have though, obv. But a scene midway of a sun-bleached seaside shootout, and then a horrible tangle with some barbed wire later convinced me I'd seen at least some of it before. And I only watch films once as you know - because why watch them again? (because you see things you didn't before and gain a richer appreciation for the film overall yes alright cotty!)

So that made me pretty cross/confused/deja vued, and I dragged myself through the last half an hour (which I didn't recognise) and although the film was perfectly fine I wish I hadn't watched it now. 4.9

I might treat myself to a rental tonight. But do I watch Train To Busan (really want to) or Arrival* (really want to) or The Girl With All The Gifts (really want to!)?

* although now I know the end andy
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 am

I watched 22 bullets too recently, I'm certain I have never seen it before but was equally somewhat bored by it, lots of clichés were ticked when it was being written, sort of a French Jason Statham B movie.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:43 am

Strawman wrote:I watched 22 bullets too recently, I'm certain I have never seen it before but was equally somewhat bored by it, lots of clichés were ticked when it was being written, sort of a French Jason Statham B movie.

Don't disagree. And coincidentally as i was driving this morning i was struck by the sudden desire to watch Crank: High Voltage again. No Ebola for me today, fanks!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:44 pm

I went to see Ghost in the Shell tonight. Superb setting and I think seeing it in an massive Asian city has knocked about 30% extra onto my score.

I really enjoyed it though. It's not as *good* a film as the original but it's visually stunning and the world is so well resolved it feels real (which is half the battle in this genre).

Recommended if you like that sort of thing. Good music too, and was very pleased to hear the original Japanese folk song playing over the end credits, as it's a superb piece of music.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Everly - Salma Hayek is the eponymous indestructible whore in this daft action shooter, as she faces off endless video game-esque waves of her pimp boss's hitgoons in a ridiculous avalanche of headshots and torture. Reviews have universally judged this as rubbish, and it is. But i watched to the end in a muddle of grins and rolleyes.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Everly - Salma Hayek is the eponymous indestructible whore in this daft action shooter, as she faces off endless video game-esque waves of her pimp boss's hitgoons in a ridiculous avalanche of headshots and torture. Reviews have universally judged this as rubbish, and it is. But i watched to the end in a muddle of grins and rolleyes.

I watched this last night too! It was incredibly silly and daft. I enjoyed it because of that, though.

Yes, it was rubbish, but it was a fcuk of a lot better than the utter dreary pish that is Deadly Target. Fell asleep three quarters of the way in, didn't care.

ETA: what is called "Deadly Target" on Netflix is actually this.
Last edited by CJ+ on Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:47 am

From a CTF recommendation of "Nice Guys" I also bought "kiss kiss bang bang".
Watched the latter yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Mad Max: Fury Road

While a steaming pile of horse shit.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by minimoog @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:09 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road

I didn't get more than 10 minutes in.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:19 pm

minimoog wrote:

Ridiculous! It's ace.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
minimoog wrote:

Ridiculous! It's ace.

This!
Deuteronomy

Post by minimoog @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
minimoog wrote:

Ridiculous! It's ace.

This!

Meh.
minimoog

Post by Strawman @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm

One of the best films of this century, better on a giant cinema screen though.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Strawman wrote:One of the best films of this century, better on a giant cinema screen though.

I saw it twice at the cinema in one week. The first film I've bothered to see more than once in the cinema since The Matrix.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Otto Sump @ Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:39 pm

I watched "Rogue One" last week and utterly loved it. I have been a Star Wars fan since, oooooo, 1977 or so and I found this to be the perfect bridge between the "old" films and the more recent crop. Visually stunning, fast-paced and completely entertaining.

Apart from one small fly in the ointment. I'm not usually bothered about spoilers, but I made the mistake of reading some click-bait about the return of Peter Cushing to the Star Wars world as Grand Moff Tarkin. He was brilliant in "A New Hope", dead evil and all that. Then I read that he had been reanimated for the latest film and that they'd based his fizzog (and voice) on that of actor Guy Henry who plays Henrik "Helly" Hanssen in the popular NHS drama "Holby City".

And then the effect just didn't sit right with me. Had I not known (but knew that Cushing was dead) I might just have accepted it as CGI wonderment, but knowing who it was did spoil it a tad. The Forest Whitaker character was a bit dull too.

Other than that, very very good. 9.5/10
Otto Sump

Post by Greg66 @ Mon May 01, 2017 9:40 pm

A mix over the weekend.

The Associate. Utterly implausible. Even by the standards of films. 6.5/10

Big. Haven't seen this in 30 years. Just beautiful to revisit. Watched it with the girls who recognised FAO Schwartz from when they were little, and especially the piano on the floor. 10/10.

Galaxy Quest. Used this to pass a couple of hours on the turbo and rarely have two hours flown by so easily. Properly entertaining. 8/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Not quite as good as vol 1 but surprise is hard to replicate. Visually spectacular though and tons of laughs. 9/10.

Right now watching Risky Business for the first time in over 30 years. Sometimes you've just got to say: "What the fcuk".
Greg66

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Yes but: de Mornay
Käsemeister

Post by Greg66 @ Mon May 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Aka: cod.

Her looks have proved to be lacking in timelessness, it seems. Though she got her kit off not ten minutes ago. Guido the Killer Pimp has just arrived. I feel the U-boat launch may be imminent.
Greg66

Post by Hooli @ Mon May 01, 2017 10:09 pm

Greg66 wrote:Big. Haven't seen this in 30 years. Just beautiful to revisit. 10/10.

I don't believe you. TH is one of the most irritating cnuts to ever be fcuking useless at acting.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by CJ+ @ Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 am

Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Much fun. Enjoyed lots.
CJ+

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 am

CJ+ wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Much fun. Enjoyed lots.

Saw this too, very much enjoyed it. Not as good as 1 but more gags and laughs than first one. 9/10
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 am

I watched a film last night! I haven't seen one for ages. It was the new Magnificent Seven, and it was alright. I liked Denzel, Vincent D-Onofrio, Byung-Hun Lee, Haley Bennett and the cinematography of the sky. Other than that it was solid but a little dull. The music was a big disappointment though, not stirring or thrilling enough and just anonymous stodge. Every time it swelled up I was re-dismayed that it wasn't Ecstacy of Gold. And every time that happened I was disappointed that I wasn't watching another, better, Western (ie TG,TB&TU)

Listen:

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYI09PMNazw

Wow.

So. M7 gets the usual oncer score of ~5.5, or 5.5
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Andy T Archer @ Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Laughed out loud a lot. Laughed inside a bit. Shouted (in my head) "Stop now please" with about 20 minutes to go.

Opening bit with Groot 2.0 made me giggle and jiggle. Reminded me of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Completely wooden but can walk well.

8 and a bit/ 10
Andy T Archer

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 pm

I like film writer and director Nacho Vigalondo (you all remember me telling you to go and watch Time Crimes, right?), and I love Anne Hathaway, who is lovely even though she has a bit too much face for her face. So of course I have just been to my local bagels, beer and carrot cake artisan picture house to watch Colossal, which is a film about a useless drunk girl (Anne Hathaway) trying to put her life back into some semblance of working order, and her mysterious relationship with events in South Korea where a terrifying gigantic kaiju (Anne Hathaway) is levelling tracts of Seoul in a stomping rampage of destruction.

It is an odd film. I can imagine it being a very annoying film for someone expecting a straightforward giant monster demolition derby, due to it's determination to be actually about a useless drunk girl (Anne Hathaway) and her efforts toget away from her problems by moving back from New York to small town Maine where she grew up. Once there she almost immediately meets up with an old school friend and discovers her problems aren't so easily left behind. Especially when there is the background hum of destruction from the other side of the globe as buildings crash to the ground under the feet of a monster that mysteriously appears every time the useless drunk girl (Anne Hathaway) blacks out.

I loved this film. I went to see it with my friend The Nurse who thought it was going to be about aliens and was responsible for the choice of film last time - The Great Wall (!) - so me choosing Colossal, knowing it was going to be what happens when you throw millions of dollars at a barmy European art-horror film maker, was going to bloody well serve him right. Except he loved it too. In fact a brief exit poll of every single person in the cinema (me & The Nurse) conclusively proves that every single person who sees Colossal will love it.

You won't, obv.

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri May 19, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Saw Passengers this evening. I thought it was OK but a wasted opportunity. Someone thought about the idea and weren't really sure what to do with it. 6?
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon May 22, 2017 11:31 am

Alien: Covenant

Pros:
Beautifully shot
Well directed
Stunning CGI
Fantastic acting, particularly from The Fassbender
Intriguing score, liked the nods to Goldsmith, ironic given the history

Cons:
Plot
The Plot
Character motivations
The Characters
All the other characters you didn't know so didn't care about
Most of the plot
Not scary
Seriously, seriously, fcuking gory.

Now I don't know DaTho's oeuvre, so I don't tend to see endless "fun" evisceration by sword wielding cyborg school girls, but blimey this got icky fast. Properly icky. Lakes of blood icky. I'm not squeamish, so it didn't overly bother me other than to register highly on my ickyometer.

Better than Prometheus, yes probably, but then I thought more of that film than most did. It's certainly more coherent as a film, albeit one with a semi-cliffhanger, and the middle of a trilogy. Which doesn't make sense. But anyways.

Did I enjoy it, yes. Will I be rushing to get the Bluray? Yes, but only to complete The Collection.

6.5/10
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Mon May 22, 2017 11:48 am

Wild Tales (2014)
Relatos salvajes

Dago film with subtitles.
"Six short stories that explore the extremities of human behaviour involving people in distress."

A black comedy that was so enjoyable it prevented my Sunday post-lunch/wine nap occurring.

8/10 (only because the last story had a weird ending)
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 am

Anyone else watched "A monster calls"?
I remember the book winning the booker prize and I couldn't bring myself to read it. The film had some decent reviews so I thought I would give it a go, with the kids, knowing nothing about it.
This was a mistake on all counts.
Basically it is about a kid who is looking after his mother who is dying of cancer and this massive monster keeps visiting him.
It sounds shit because it is shit and I cannot comprehend how this film was made.
The films itself is not shit as such, i.e. the ingredients are all good , the story is sad and the effects are good etc but this film is a mish mash of age appropriateness and genres that it simply doesn't belong anywhere.
The monster side of it is a childs films and the cancer-dying side of it is an adults film and they do not belong together in any way shape or form.
Who is the audience? Not children and not adults. So how did it ever get signed off to be made?

The only way I can describe this in terms of something really bleak that everyone else has seen is imagine watching The Road but they have got a third person with them who is Donald Duck.
That is A Monster Calls. It doesn't work
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon May 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Turntable wrote:Anyone else watched "A monster calls"?
I remember the book winning the booker prize and I couldn't bring myself to read it. The film had some decent reviews so I thought I would give it a go, with the kids, knowing nothing about it.
This was a mistake on all counts.
Basically it is about a kid who is looking after his mother who is dying of cancer and this massive monster keeps visiting him.
It sounds shit because it is shit and I cannot comprehend how this film was made.
The films itself is not shit as such, i.e. the ingredients are all good , the story is sad and the effects are good etc but this film is a mish mash of age appropriateness and genres that it simply doesn't belong anywhere.
The monster side of it is a childs films and the cancer-dying side of it is an adults film and they do not belong together in any way shape or form.
Who is the audience? Not children and not adults. So how did it ever get signed off to be made?

The only way I can describe this in terms of something really bleak that everyone else has seen is imagine watching The Road but they have got a third person with them who is Donald Duck.
That is A Monster Calls. It doesn't work

Yeah, glad you said that. It looked like a weirdly bleak miserable experience from the trailers, with nothing I'd want to see in there at all..
Last edited by GingerNinja on Mon May 22, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Il Duce wrote:Wild Tales (2014)
Relatos salvajes

Dago film with subtitles.
"Six short stories that explore the extremities of human behaviour involving people in distress."

A black comedy that was so enjoyable it prevented my Sunday post-lunch/wine nap occurring.

8/10 (only because the last story had a weird ending)

Me and tt mentioned that a couple of months ago in this thread. I liked it, but it for less good as it went along I think. The first story was the best, with the plane.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club