What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:32 am

Damien Thorn wrote:American Assassin - utterly forgettable violent thriller (so forgettable, in fact, that I only remembered I'd watched it because I just checked my Netflix Watch It Again list.

I endured this and agree. Netflix needs to have a straight to video tag.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by S1K @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - so so boring. Little Jack Reacher scowls through some baffling plot possibly about kidnapping or army secrets. No idea. I couldn't stay awake and tried several times rewinding to make things make sense. They resolutely wouldn't.

I saw this on TV a few weeks ago too and also thought it was unutterably shit. It's as if the characters are wilfully designed and played to have as little emotional backstory or range as possible, meaning that the viewer has no investment whatsoever in whether they prosper or fail or even live or die. A genuinely awful film and I wouldn't have been at all surprised had Steven Seagal been cast as the lead rather than Tom Cruise.
S1K

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:18 pm

Predator was very heavily edited and had a lot of reshoots, and yes Munn was most effected by it. Because: studio and paedo.
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 am

A handful more:

The Belko Experiment - office workers looked into their corporate building find themselves subject to a deadly battle royale. Great fun and violent, and quite slyly written.

The Void - essentially Event Horizon in a hick rural hospital, as hellish creatures come through a portal and most of the cast end up covered in horrific special effects rubber. Mental and, for me, utterly confusing.

The Purge - you know this; for one night a year all crime is legal in America - and subsequently unemployment and crime rates have tumbled. I liked this a lot more than I expected to, as it turned out to be a nicely streamlined home-invasion thriller with a really good cast. The opening credits and in fact the (high) concept itself are utterly sickening, but then the narrative is comfortingly familiar. Makes me want to watch the rest of the franchise.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:44 pm

We took some of my daughter’s friends to the cinema today for her birthday. Much to my dismay they chose Christopher Robin. Much to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it. Proper heartwarming stuff.
thekungfury

Post by Käsemeister @ Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:24 am

Solo

Meh
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 am

Käsemeister wrote:Solo

Meh

Same. Felt like a made for tv film shown on Channel 5 on a Wednesday evening.

If there were no Star Wars nostalgia moments to keep your interest I would have turned it off.
thekungfury

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:05 am

Meh

I watched that last weekend felt much the same.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Mean Girls. Daughter #2’s school night 17th birthday TV binge.

Much better than I expected. V good. 7.75/10
Greg66

Post by stuart @ Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Apostle. Turned it off midway through.

Boring and I had no idea at all what was going on. Just incomprehensible.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 pm

stuart wrote:Apostle. Turned it off midway through.

Boring and I had no idea at all what was going on. Just incomprehensible.
A shame. I'll be watching that tonight. I'm a big fan of Gareth Evans.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Skyscraper... If only the film had gone up in flames like what the building did.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Greg66 wrote:
Turntable wrote:
Greg66 wrote:[Secondly, it was a bit clumsy in the execution. Several scenes were too long - I assumed in an effort to build tension, but it didn't really work. I ended up getting impatient for something to happen rather than increasingly anxious at what might happen.

Agree with that completely. After about 20 minutes I thought it was utter shit and the only reason I didn't leave was that I knew it must get better to have got the reviews it did.
Still maintain it was a decent enough horror thereafter and I think your 4/10 is very miserly

If you're going to argue I will remark it down to a 3!

Thought the son got off pretty lightly for the mid film "incident". And frankly I think I would have moved house at some point during that lot. Perhaps even moved state.

Scariest bit was the chase up the stairs, because everyone knows that having someone tapping your heels as you sprint up stairs is scary as scary can be.

I have just watched this and I disagree with you all. I found it terrifying but that probably means I am a baby.

If I had been the dad, I’d have taken the son and moved an entire continent away.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Well. OK. I didn't watch Apostle yet, although I will. However, I have watched Phobia 2 and Bleach.

I haven't seen Phobia one, because there isn't one. Phobia 2 is the sequel to 4bia, which even though it somehow looks like it says Labia is a 4-part portmanteau Thai horror film. Phobia 2 could never have been called 4bia 2, because Phobia 2 has got five parts instead of four. And like with most portmanteau horror films, mileages vary. It starts moody and strong and meanders through zombies and ghosts and possession before ending up prettyu stupid. It was alright, but nothing marvellous, and of course horror always seems scarier when it's got subtitles.

Then there was also Bleach, which is the apparently long-awaited live-action adaptation of a famous manga. Not long-awaited by me though, as I just watched it because I didn't know what it was and I'm not scared of subtitles Japanese films. I think I would have liked it A LOT more if I was 14, but I'm not, so I could barely stay awake to the end. It's fairly run-of-the-mill monsters and schoolchildren with massive swords, with decent special effects but very little else. Hmm.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I don't know why it's called Bleach.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 pm

thekungfury wrote:

Meh

Same. Felt like a made for tv film shown on Channel 5 on a Wednesday evening.

If there were no Star Wars nostalgia moments to keep your interest I would have turned it off.

Another meh here. Really oddly unengaging. The guy playing Solo succeeded in capturing none of Harrison Ford’s charm, or mannerisms, or intonation. A few stock chases lobbed in. The best character was the female droid. And she was obviously based on the droid in Rogue One. A story based in large part around explaining away a single line from the original film.

Meh indeed.
Greg66

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:10 pm

I’m halfway through Solo (Germany fell asleep so finishing it tonight) and I have to say, I prefer it to the Last Jedi by miles.

I’m quite glad he’s not doing a Harrison Ford impression, and the sets and locations have a ‘solidity’ to them that reminds me of proper Star Wars. I can imagine watching that about the age I saw the original and being blown away. I mean, ultimately, they’re for kids - they captured us when we were wide-eyed and impressionable - and Solo seems to tap into that for me.

Will update once I’ve seen the last hour.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Greg66 wrote:Another meh here. Really oddly unengaging. The guy playing Solo succeeded in capturing none of Harrison Ford’s charm, or mannerisms, or intonation.

I think you've captured the reason it didn't do anything for me either. Han Solo was my favourite from the the original Star Wars (pre-teen crush aside) and the guy in the new one - Alden Ehrenreich, whose name I just had to look up precisely because he was so unengaging - had none of Harrison Ford's charisma and humour. While I don't really rate HF as an actor, he got the Solo character to a T. Disappoint.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Just finished it - I enjoyed it!

Thought it was a really fun adventure and by not being part of the bigger picture, was able to be much more fun and explore the universe a bit.

It’s made me realise how much I hate when films start to fall under the ‘overarching story’ curse.

I hated it when I was a kid and the X Files went shit and stopped doing random monster episodes and started a big govt conspiracy plot line. See also Marvel films Vs original Iron Man, the Alien series latterly, Star Wars.

I sort of don’t care at all how much he was or wasn’t like Harrison Ford as I always find it a bit creepy when people act like other actors so that didn’t bother me. Good.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 am

Doctor Strange - I enjoyed it, I think - my uncertainty come from the face that aside from some Mandelbrot type graphics, nothing really happened.

Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 am

Disastrous wrote:Just finished it - I enjoyed it!

Thought it was a really fun adventure and by not being part of the bigger picture, was able to be much more fun and explore the universe a bit.

It’s made me realise how much I hate when films start to fall under the ‘overarching story’ curse.

I hated it when I was a kid and the X Files went shit and stopped doing random monster episodes and started a big govt conspiracy plot line. See also Marvel films Vs original Iron Man, the Alien series latterly, Star Wars.

I sort of don’t care at all how much he was or wasn’t like Harrison Ford as I always find it a bit creepy when people act like other actors so that didn’t bother me. Good.

I’m in the middle of you and CIS here. I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it. It was ok. I thought he was not bad as HS, though a bit too nice perhaps when actually he was quite badass in Star Wars. The end was a bit lame but the film was an enjoyable yarn. Not nearly as good as Rogue One, but much better than TLJ.
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 am

Thought it was a really fun adventure

I did, too! Didn't love it but definitely enjoyed it more than I expected.

Disastrous wrote:It’s made me realise how much I hate when films start to fall under the ‘overarching story’ curse.

Quite. It's like they decide to stop making it good for everyone, and just focus on the spoddy obsessives who will get satisfaction from understanding the stupid convoluted plot, years after everyone else stopped caring. Stupid X-Files-ruining, cigarette-smoking-man-black-oil-nonsense-did-you-know-Mulder-and-Scully-ended-up-having-a-baby-and-just-GIVING-IT-TO-SOMEONE?!!

For all its faults (rhetorical - it had none) Quantum Leap managed to keep its one-story-per-episode right up until the end!
span

Post by span @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:56 am

Thought it was a really fun adventure

I did, too! Didn't love it but definitely enjoyed it more than I expected.

Disastrous wrote:It’s made me realise how much I hate when films start to fall under the ‘overarching story’ curse.

Quite. It's like they decide to stop making it good for everyone, and just focus on the spoddy obsessives who will get satisfaction from understanding the stupid convoluted plot, years after everyone else stopped caring. Stupid X-Files-ruining, cigarette-smoking-man-black-oil-nonsense-did-you-know-Mulder-and-Scully-ended-up-having-a-baby-and-just-GIVING-IT-TO-SOMEONE?!!

For all its faults (rhetorical - it had none) Quantum Leap managed to keep its one-story-per-episode right up until the end!
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 am

Doctor Congo wrote:

I’m in the middle of you and CIS here. I didn’t hate it, I didn’t love it. It was ok. I thought he was not bad as HS, though a bit too nice perhaps when actually he was quite badass in Star Wars. The end was a bit lame but the film was an enjoyable yarn. Not nearly as good as Rogue One, but much better than TLJ.

I didn't hate it as such, I just thought it was a bit meh.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:52 am

Mulder & Scully is interesting. Back in the day conspiracy theorists used to be cool and mysterious. Now they’re shouting on YouTube that Jews did 911 and Sandy Hook was faked.
thekungfury

Post by Zod @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am

First Man - I watched this on Saturday with my 12 year old son. It's an emotional look at the space programme through to the moon landing, concentrating on the Armstrong family. The criticism of the movie is ridiculous on both sides: it most certainly doesn't downplay the heroism, but deals with it intelligently; and it isn't detached from the wider backdrop to society at the time - there's a montage of preparations for Apollo 11 against demonstrations on the other side of the river with the theme of black people struggling while "whitey goes to the moon".

We enjoyed it and found it a stirring experience, both in terms of the eventual triumph and the sacrifices involved in getting there.
Zod

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Zod wrote:both in terms of the eventual triumph

Jesus Zod spoiler that shit will you?
minimoog

Post by Paul H @ Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:33 pm

They Shall Not Grow Old

Peter Jackson’s labour of love restoring footage from the Imperial War Museum of the First World War and using sound recordings of veterans taken by the BBC in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s.
Starts with the grainy footage we have all seen and how young many of the recruits were: we are suddenly transformed into pin sharp colour footage and there it stays until the end scenes back in grainy.
Although Jackson had access to all the IWM footage [and he has restored over 1000 hours for them to quality b&w footage, not fully coloured] the film follows the British Infantry from outbreak to armistice.

Unbelievably humanising, very harrowing. Magnificent. 10/10
Paul H

Post by Firkin @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 am

Jonny English strikes again. Like most films the original is always the best and this isn't the worst but I wouldn't pay to see it again.
Firkin

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Firkin wrote:Jonny English strikes again. Like most films the original is always the best and this isn't the worst but I wouldn't pay to see it again.

Which one is the worst then? Not clear from your post.
Tokyo Sexwale

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club