What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 am

Wonderful?

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • A scientist realises that aliens write in circles using nothing but her eyes and the crushingly obvious circles that they write in, magically sees the future, gets knocked up, makes a phone call to a Chinese general.

What the actual shit is wonderful about that?
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:25 am

We watched the Adrift film that CIS mentioned the other day and really enjoyed it. It's short and sweet and has a little twist in its tail and made you feel, quite literally, onboard with it.
Tokyo Sexwale

What was the last film you watched?

Post by minimoog @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:24 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Wonderful?

I don't have to explain myself you you soulless shit!
Last edited by minimoog on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
minimoog

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:00 pm

• A scientist realises that aliens write in circles using nothing but her eyes and the crushingly obvious circles that they write in, magically sees the future, gets knocked up, makes a phone call to a Chinese general.

thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:45 pm

thekungfury wrote:

I've literally no idea what you mean.
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

I mean moog is bang out of order for spoiling the film for everyone.

Bad moog. Bad moog. Down boy!
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:15 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Sick dibs on him!!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Sick dibs on him!!

Hang on! I don't remember any of that in the film!

Oh I know why. I turned it off because it was terrible.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Sick dibs on him!!

Hang on, let me get my moog-stick.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 am

thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Moogs, you awful man!
Deuteronomy

Post by minimoog @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am

Alright princesses calm down.
minimoog

Post by span @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 pm

i don't think us pro-Arrival people should be infighting. The main thing is we all agree it was magical.
span

Post by S1K @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm

I don't think I've even heard of Arrival. What's it about?
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 pm

S1K wrote:I don't think I've even heard of Arrival. What's it about?

I think it's about a guy stuck in the airport and can't leave so he lives there.
Then aliens finger him and he builds a water feature and humps some air stewardess.
5 stars!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by span @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 pm

S1K wrote:I don't think I've even heard of Arrival. What's it about?

Right well you mustn't listen to the others, S1k. In fact, don't listen to anyone - it's one you just need to see.

Aliens ARRIVE on earth, but no one can understand them, so they get in lovely Amy Adams who is a linguistics expert and she sets about understanding the new ARRIVALs.

It's apparently one you'll either love or be left quite cold by, but I would strongly recommend giving it a go.
span

Post by S1K @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 pm

5 stars out of how many though?

Thanks span, sounds like I should give it a go. Should I also watch Get Out and what about Hereditary? I'm always years behind the crowd when it comes to watching films.
Last edited by S1K on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S1K

Post by span @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 pm

S1K wrote:5 stars out of how many though?

Thanks span, sounds like I should give it a go. Should I also watch Get Out and what about Hereditary? I'm always years behind the crowd when it comes to watching films.

I enjoyed Get Out quite a lot.

I am far too much of a wimp to try Hereditary.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:50 pm

I'm going to watch Arrival now to see what's got you all worked up. I'll probably watch it tomorrow if I cba. Then I'll let you know who's right about it.

I have watched all sorts of films in the meantime, but I struggle to remember what, due to age (mine). I watched a big chunk of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas before falling asleep, and watched a hefty chunk of Apostle*, which I need to finish. As well as other things.

* I have been wanting to see Apostle for ages, as I'm a huge Gareth Evans fan. As is my wont, I watched it at gymnastics to avoid conversation with the other mums, but turned it off when it got to that bit with the table. Not because I was frightened, but because I suddenly felt a bit concerned that other people could be overlooking what I was watching. I'm thoughtful that way.

I presume that bit with the table is past where Stuart got to before denouncing it as dull and confusing and giving up. I have adored it so far; the grimness, the griminess, dirty fingernails and horrific attitudes. I can see why Stuart might have thought it was dull, but I found all the ambient weirdness and gloomy scene-setting terrifically involving. And the Goddess in the tunnel terrifically creepy.

Anyway, I've got half an hour or so to go with it, which I somehow haven't made time to finish. I will tomorrow though, and will report back on quite how that bit that bit turns out to be.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Ooh! I watched Malevolent which was ace. That's not the one with Angelina Jolie as a bad fairy, it's the one with scamming psychic investigators encountering real ghosts. It's exactly the sort of straightforward creepy horror story you can completely predict, except that it barrels right off the rails into total unpredictability in the last twenty minutes or so. Celia Imrie!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm

And have I told you I watched A Ghost Story? Where the ghost of a young bloke killed in a car accident haunts his missus, and then haunts their house once she moves away. Critics have raved about it as a quietly moving meditation on relationships and mortality, but I thought it was a load of toss.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Read my summary S1K, it's all you need to know and you get that bit of time in your life back.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:56 pm

And did I tell you about Bleach? About a Japanese high school student who gains the powers of a Soul Reaper and has to chop up demons and stuff? It's stupid, and this is me saying that. I should have watched Full Metal Alchemist instead.

e: I've just realised I did tell you about Bleach already.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:03 pm

span wrote:Obviously shut your face about Sleepless in Seattle. My top ten would include Room and SiS, maybe even my top five!!!!!

Titanic, though... I watched it three times at the cinema, as did all the 15 year old girls at the time. Then a load of times on video.

Then at some point, all of a sudden, I realised how terrible it is! Just like that. Maybe that was the exact moment I stopped being a teenage girl.

Dis have you seen Room? I'd be interested to know your thoughts. I'd be interested to know everyone's thoughts, in fact - it's my favourite subject!

I’ve not seen Room or Arrival I’m afraid span. I tend to just read Wikipedia summaries rather than watch actual films (time is money kid, capiche?) but they’re usually more than enough for me to review the film with some authority.

Arrival I won’t ever watch as I hate films where things get to places they’re going to and it sounds well gay to boot. Same with Room. It’s literally a film about a tiny room and a boy that gets set free and I stead of being grateful acts quite the shit. Hate.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 pm

span wrote:

I enjoyed Get Out quite a lot.

I am far too much of a wimp to try Hereditary.

Get Out was excellent. Hereditary was good, but terrifying. I think I wrote about it a few pages back.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Get Out was excellent. Hereditary was good, but terrifying. I think I wrote about it a few pages back.

I'm actually dying to talk about a horror thing but it's the telly programme Haunting Of Hill House that I've been going on about over in the TV thread. And no one is giving me any encouragement.

>impatient sigh<

Fine. Just anyone call me when they've finally watched it. (particularly you, Clown - we've had a few of the same absolute faves in the past and I'd like to know what you thought)
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:16 pm

span wrote:I'm actually dying to talk about a horror thing but it's the telly programme Haunting Of Hill House that I've been going on about over in the TV thread. And no one is giving me any encouragement.

>impatient sigh<

Fine. Just anyone call me when they've finally watched it. (particularly you, Clown - we've had a few of the same absolute faves in the past and I'd like to know what you thought)

Funnily enough, your ringing endorsement of HoHH has made me want to watch it, precisely because I know we often like the same things! I just haven't had a chance yet. I will try and watch it this weekend.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Oh, brilliant!
span

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 pm

The only ever film I can remember to live up to the hype for me was Intouchables

Room and Arrival I saw not knowing anything about them. If I’d been told “You must watch these, they’re top 5 all time” I think I’d have been disappointed waiting for “it” to happen. Being surprised by a good film is the best kind of film.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:21 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I'm going to watch Arrival now to see what's got you all worked up. I'll probably watch it tomorrow if I cba. Then I'll let you know who's right about it.

I have watched all sorts of films in the meantime, but I struggle to remember what, due to age (mine). I watched a big chunk of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas before falling asleep, and watched a hefty chunk of Apostle*, which I need to finish. As well as other things.

* I have been wanting to see Apostle for ages, as I'm a huge Gareth Evans fan. As is my wont, I watched it at gymnastics to avoid conversation with the other mums, but turned it off when it got to that bit with the table. Not because I was frightened, but because I suddenly felt a bit concerned that other people could be overlooking what I was watching. I'm thoughtful that way.

I presume that bit with the table is past where Stuart got to before denouncing it as dull and confusing and giving up. I have adored it so far; the grimness, the griminess, dirty fingernails and horrific attitudes. I can see why Stuart might have thought it was dull, but I found all the ambient weirdness and gloomy scene-setting terrifically involving. And the Goddess in the tunnel terrifically creepy.

Anyway, I've got half an hour or so to go with it, which I somehow haven't made time to finish. I will tomorrow though, and will report back on quite how that bit that bit turns out to be.
Bloody hell that was gruesome. Things escalated quickly from there and caused a couple of moments of reactive leg twitching. Other people watch this please and tell me what you think.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:22 am

Arrival now.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club