What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Arrival now.

Get ready to be underwhelmed.
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:34 pm

span wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Get Out was excellent. Hereditary was good, but terrifying. I think I wrote about it a few pages back.

I'm actually dying to talk about a horror thing but it's the telly programme Haunting Of Hill House that I've been going on about over in the TV thread. And no one is giving me any encouragement.

>impatient sigh<

Fine. Just anyone call me when they've finally watched it. (particularly you, Clown - we've had a few of the same absolute faves in the past and I'd like to know what you thought)

Ive watched it but I put it on the tv bit.
pretty good wasn't it?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Arrival. I haven't read the spoilered comments from this thread yet, but will go back and read them in a minute.

Going into it cold I liked the cleverness of the idea and the tantalising way it reveals its hand throughout. Like a jigsaw that shows you the picture on the box right from the beginning, but while you're trying to put the pieces together you forget you've already seen it.

It felt small and intimate, in spite of the global escalations - like a little indie film somehow blessed with multi million dollar blockbuster cgi and scoring. Not having read anything about it before watching, I very much enjoyed the feeling of deciphering for myself where the story was going and the overall conceit felt simultaneously heartwarming and maudlin.

It feels like an obscure story you want to recommend to your favourite people because it's surprisingly touching, but everyone's already seen it so you can't.

I can't stand Amy Adams though.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by minimoog @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:02 pm

:Beams:
minimoog

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 pm

<adds Datho to list of favourites>
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Put your party poppers down you two, I'd hardly count that as a ringing endorsement - Damo is merely playing to the crowd there.
Deuteronomy

Post by minimoog @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Put your party poppers down you two, I'd hardly count that as a ringing endorsement - Damo is merely playing to the crowd there.

Apology accepted.
minimoog

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:50 pm

minimoog wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:Put your party poppers down you two, I'd hardly count that as a ringing endorsement - Damo is merely playing to the crowd there.

Apology accepted.

Quoted as you're you're making yourself look very foolish here Moogs, harsh, but there you go.

Awful that you do this to yourself.
Deuteronomy

Post by minimoog @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Quoted as you're you're making yourself look very foolish here Moogs, harsh, but there you go.

Awful that you do this to yourself.

Honestly it’s ok. I... :waves hand: I pardon you.

Now run along.
minimoog

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I’ve just watch3d Arrival for a second time (read the wiki again) and I’m afraid it’s still shit!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Disastrous wrote:I’ve just watch3d Arrival for a second time (read the wiki again) and I’m afraid it’s still shit!

It isn’t. It was excellent.
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Like a jigsaw that shows you the picture on the box right from the beginning, but while you're trying to put the pieces together you forget you've already seen it.

Excellent description

Damien Thorn wrote:I can't stand Amy Adams though.

Demonstrably false
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:12 am

Disastrous wrote:I’ve just watch3d Arrival for a second time (read the wiki again) and I’m afraid it’s still shit!

>3W<
Deuteronomy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:22 pm

Sicario 2: Soldado

I utterly hearted Sicario, so I've been looking forward to watching this one. There's no Emily Blunt which I think the film is poorer for but it's still a brutal deathfest accompanied by suitably doom-laden music. So OK, a bunch of Islamic suicide bombers appear to be using the Mexican border to access the US and so Josh Brolin goes black ops with Benicio Del Toro to do s bit of shit-stirring amongst the cartels. No, I didn't think the plot made a lot of sense either. TBH though it doesn't matter too much, it's just about a lot of people killing each other, albeit very nicely filmed and spartan. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as Sicario.

7/10
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by chinkypig @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:48 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Ooh! I watched Malevolent which was ace. That's not the one with Angelina Jolie as a bad fairy, it's the one with scamming psychic investigators encountering real ghosts. It's exactly the sort of straightforward creepy horror story you can completely predict, except that it barrels right off the rails into total unpredictability in the last twenty minutes or so. Celia Imrie!

This is good to know. I’ve been delaying watching this for a while because of some ‘meh’ reviews I’ve read but I’ll certainly give it a try now.
chinkypig

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 am

chinkypig wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Ooh! I watched Malevolent which was ace. That's not the one with Angelina Jolie as a bad fairy, it's the one with scamming psychic investigators encountering real ghosts. It's exactly the sort of straightforward creepy horror story you can completely predict, except that it barrels right off the rails into total unpredictability in the last twenty minutes or so. Celia Imrie!

This is good to know. I’ve been delaying watching this for a while because of some ‘meh’ reviews I’ve read but I’ll certainly give it a try now.

Malevolent is fab.
CJ+

Post by chinkypig @ Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 am

CJ+ wrote:
chinkypig wrote:

Malevolent is fab.

Lovely, I do enjoy a ghost story.
chinkypig

Post by Turntable @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 am

chinkypig wrote:

With respect to Damo, Im not exactly certain one of his resounding reviews cancels out a plethora of 'meh' reviews
Turntable

Post by stuart @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 am

Turntable wrote:
chinkypig wrote:

With respect to Damo, Im not exactly certain one of his resounding reviews cancels out a plethora of 'meh' reviews

I turned Malevolent off about an hour in, found it too dull.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by S1K @ Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:39 am

I watched Hereditary and while it was okay I certainly didn't think it was laugh-out-loud hilarious. Not nearly as funny as The Life Of Brian anyway.
S1K

Post by chinkypig @ Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Equalizer 2 at the weekend which I enjoyed almost as much as the first instalment.

Apart from a character death I didn’t care for, a slightly underwhelming boss fight and it’s continued refusal to slip a musical reference in to acknowledge the tv show I thought it was a satisfying sequel.
chinkypig

Post by stuart @ Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Sicario 2

I really liked it.

It wasn't anywhere near as good as the first one, it doesn't have anything close to the tension of the border scene and it definitely more of an action film, but it's still really good.

It's a 7 where the first one is a 9.5
stuart

Post by S1K @ Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:27 am

I watched Arrival

I did enjoy the film and it was a different take on the idea of aliens coming to earth which I hadn't seen before. It did seem to get a bit lost in itself about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the film though, relying on a bit of faux documentary and some crowbarred exposition which was rather jarring. Films should show you the story rather than telling you the story and I would have been happier with it being another ten or fifteen minutes longer rather than having to sink to the level of a voiceover. I felt that the screenwriter had found the original text a bit too complex and just couldn't think of a way to put it on screen, which was rather a failing.

I'd give it a 7/10
S1K

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:58 pm

I just watched Layer Cake. The weird thing is, I used to live on Regency Street about 100 yards from the cafe featured in the film, and today was at the Greenwich Observatory, also featured.

Good film though, I enjoyed it.
manfromdelmonte

Post by stuart @ Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:21 pm

It comes at night.

Boring and frustrating. Th film fails to build any sort of tension, has weird unexplained scenes that it just hopes you forget about, and just a bad non ending.

Avoid.
stuart

Post by S1K @ Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:56 pm

I watched Mad Max Fury Road last night.

Quite enjoyable hokum and I really liked the homage to the original in the obviously sped-up film footage effect.
S1K

Post by Turntable @ Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:24 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:I just watched Layer Cake. The weird thing is, I used to live on Regency Street about 100 yards from the cafe featured in the film, and today was at the Greenwich Observatory, also featured.

I had my wedding party at Stoke Park including the room where they are all sitting at the end before he gets shot outside
Turntable

Post by S1K @ Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:40 pm

Turntable wrote:
manfromdelmonte wrote:I just watched Layer Cake. The weird thing is, I used to live on Regency Street about 100 yards from the cafe featured in the film, and today was at the Greenwich Observatory, also featured.

I had my wedding party at Stoke Park including the room where they are all sitting at the end before he gets shot outside

And you've got an RS6, albeit not the same type as in the film.
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Turntable wrote:

That's quite cool. We lived nearby (Farnham Royal) and went a few times. My wife worked in Stoke Poges next to this garage.

thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:21 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Turntable wrote:

That's quite cool. We lived nearby (Farnham Royal) and went a few times. My wife worked in Stoke Poges next to this garage.

Picture doesn't work but I know exactly which garage will be on it. I was really surprised it went out of business because it sold such extraordinary cars I naively associated this with success
Turntable

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club