What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:24 pm

We watched Solo last night, it was okay.

Deuteronomy

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:We watched Solo last night, it was okay.

Rich and compelling.
Bodhi

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:49 am

Bodhi wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:We watched Solo last night, it was okay.

Rich and compelling.

Like your mum.
Deuteronomy

Post by Turntable @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:57 pm

Is it just me or are nearly all films shit and uninteresting the past couple of years?
I feel like I only see one or two good films a year with all the rest being either very average, or childrens superhero type films.
Well?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Turntable wrote:Is it just me or are nearly all films shit and uninteresting the past couple of years?
I feel like I only see one or two good films a year with all the rest being either very average, or childrens superhero type films.
Well?

Yes.

As I’ve said before though, cinema is an abstract concept to me now, with young children, however, I try and catch up months later on streaming but I haven’t seen s good film in at least a year. All utterly forgettable and predictable.
Doctor Congo

Post by stuart @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:26 pm

Turntable wrote:Is it just me or are nearly all films shit and uninteresting the past couple of years?
Well?

I agree.

I don't know what's changed but it's rare for a film not to be crap nowadays. It's the same with TV shows as well I think.
Last edited by stuart on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by S1K @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:29 pm

I still haven't got round to watching Get Out yet but I shall be disappointed if it's shit.

Halfway through watching Locke and I'm appalled and fascinated by just how terrible Tom Hardy's accent is. He seems to be trying to play an Irishman but that Irishman might well have spent a lot of time living in mid-Wales and/or Scotland.
S1K

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:38 pm

S1K wrote:I still haven't got round to watching Get Out yet but I shall be disappointed if it's shit.

Halfway through watching Locke and I'm appalled and fascinated by just how terrible Tom Hardy's accent is. He seems to be trying to play an Irishman but that Irishman might well have spent a lot of time living in mid-Wales and/or Scotland.

I really liked Locke but the accent (I'm sure it's meant to be Welsh) really threw me. It's awful and completely irrelevant as it doesn't matter one jot where his character is from.
ttwiggy

Post by S1K @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:41 pm

I've just looked it up and apparently you're right, it's supposed to be Welsh.

If anyone round here should be able to pin down a Welsh accent it's me, seeing as I've lived in Wales for the past 38 years. It really is a bizarre accent and, as you say, it's also a totally unnecessary accent because the characters origin bears not at all on the story. Really weird.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Well?
Watch Bone Tomahawk. I finally got round to watching it last night after meaning to for months, and it's bloody brilliant.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Well?
Watch Bone Tomahawk. I finally got round to watching it last night after meaning to for months, and it's bloody brilliant.

IS that on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
Bodhi

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Netflix
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:56 pm

‘snot.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Eek! You're right, it's disappeared. It's been on there for months (although in all honesty I plussed it when it was on Film 4 a little while ago) .
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:42 pm

Highlander II: The Quickening.

:rofl:

Somehow managed to never see this before. fcuking hell. Almost hilariously bad.

There should have been only one.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Disastrous wrote:Highlander II: The Quickening.

:rofl:

Somehow managed to never see this before. fcuking hell. Almost hilariously bad.

There should have been only one.

Yes certainly a low watermark for films. The franchise never recovered really. Major wtf (in a bad bizarre way) moment when their origin was explained.
Doctor Congo

Post by chinkypig @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:43 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Well?

It’s fantastic but I can’t imagine watching it again knowing what’s to come in the third act.
chinkypig

Post by Bodhi @ Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Well?

I watched this and thought it was great - a slow moving western with great dialogue and characters, it's not dissimilar to Hostiles (the Christian Bale one. Swoon) However it then turns so horrifically violent that it becomes unlike any film I've ever seen.

Kurt Russell and Matthew Fox (remember him!) are very good but Richard Jenkins steals the show.

A solid 8.
Bodhi

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 pm

I heart Richard Jenkins in it. Just wonderful.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:01 am

Passengers, with Chris Pratt and what'shername from Hunger Games.

They are both on a long journey through space to a new Planet, in hibernation. SOmething goes wrong though and Chris Pratts character is woken up 90 years too early.

He ends up waking up whatshernames character as he's lonely.

I don't know what the film is supposed to be. What he does is obviously horrid, yet she falls in love with him anyway. There's a bit of action at the end as they have to try and save the ship.

It was a potentially good idea, but I don't think it worked at all. The whole thing just felt a little creepy, honestly.

Apart from it being brought up for maybe 30 seconds, they just ignored the fact that CHris Pratty forced someone awake and into a life of solitude with him like that isn't a manipulative and abhorrent thing to do. It was like Stockholm Syndrome in space.

I don't know, 4?
stuart

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 am

stuart wrote:Passengers, with Chris Pratt and what'shername from Hunger Games.

They are both on a long journey through space to a new Planet, in hibernation. SOmething goes wrong though and Chris Pratts character is woken up 90 years too early.

I don't know what the film is supposed to be. What he does is obviously horrid, yet she falls in love with him anyway. There's a bit of action at the end as they have to try and save the ship.

It was a potentially good idea, but I don't think it worked at all. The whole thing just felt a little creepy, honestly.

Apart from it being brought up for maybe 30 seconds, they just ignored the fact that CHris Pratty forced someone awake and into a life of solitude with him like that isn't a manipulative and abhorrent thing to do. It was like Stockholm Syndrome in space.

I don't know, 4?

I got bored & turned it off, does she actually find out that it was him not the ship what done it?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by stuart @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:34 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
stuart wrote:Passengers, with Chris Pratt and what'shername from Hunger Games.

I don't know, 4?

I got bored & turned it off, does she actually find out that it was him not the ship what done it?

Yes and she takes the huff for about 8 minutes until they need to fix the ship to not die then she realises she loves him again.
stuart

Post by span @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 am

Passengers was great, I've seen it a few times and it's lovely. What he did was awful but she was really angry with him for ages.
span

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 am

I’m surprised at what a fuss people (men, weirdly) make about that film.

Yes he did a bad thing but it’s in the middle of space and he was right fed up so you can at least understand it. Plus she liked him in the end.

I watched it on a plane and imagined who I would defrost if they were all asleep.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 am

I watched about 3/4s of Passengers before falling asleep (jet lag, not boredom). Thought it was sort of weird. The whole creepy manipulation thing. Not really what I remember as the impression the trailer gave.

Once again, my efforts to watch Downsizing have been thwarted. I watched the first half on a plane in the summer. We landed before I could finish it. Then last weekend I was abroad and spotted it on Netflix, so downloaded it to my ipad to watch on the way home. Woke up 40 mins out from Heathrow so started to watch it again. Got to 15 mins to go and had to stop for landing. Then when I got home I was told by netflix that it (Downsizing) wasn't supported in the fcuking UK!

Is it any good? I saw up to the sunset in the fjord. The first half was enjoyable but the second half seemed to lose its way TBH.
Greg66

Post by stuart @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 am

Greg66 wrote:Thought it was sort of weird. The whole creepy manipulation thing. Not really what I remember as the impression the trailer gave.

I think they could have made quite a good dark psychological thriller / horror around this theme rather than trying to go for the feel good romantic film they tried to make.
stuart

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am

Greg66 wrote:Once again, my efforts to watch Downsizing have been thwarted. I watched the first half on a plane in the summer. We landed before I could finish it. Then last weekend I was abroad and spotted it on Netflix, so downloaded it to my ipad to watch on the way home. Woke up 40 mins out from Heathrow so started to watch it again. Got to 15 mins to go and had to stop for landing. Then when I got home I was told by netflix that it (Downsizing) wasn't supported in the fcuking UK!

If you downloaded it you can turn of your wifi and then it should be available in your downloads. Netflix does this to me all the time.
Bodhi

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:32 am

Bodhi wrote:
Greg66 wrote:Once again, my efforts to watch Downsizing have been thwarted. I watched the first half on a plane in the summer. We landed before I could finish it. Then last weekend I was abroad and spotted it on Netflix, so downloaded it to my ipad to watch on the way home. Woke up 40 mins out from Heathrow so started to watch it again. Got to 15 mins to go and had to stop for landing. Then when I got home I was told by netflix that it (Downsizing) wasn't supported in the fcuking UK!

If you downloaded it you can turn of your wifi and then it should be available in your downloads. Netflix does this to me all the time.

I think I tried that. I think. Whatever I tried didn't work, and then I deleted it in disgust.

Nothing like ire for making one bite off a nose to spite a face...
Greg66

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:10 pm

I watched a downloaded copy of Bohemian Rhapsody. Really bad resolution and you could barely make out what was going on. At times I could only make a little silhouette of a man.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

thekungfury wrote:I watched a downloaded copy of Bohemian Rhapsody. Really bad resolution and you could barely make out what was going on. At times I could only make a little silhouette of a man.

Booooooom!
Deuteronomy

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club