What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Strawman @ Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:51 am

Scaramouch
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm

I actually watched it today. I like Queen, the big hits at least, so it was an intriguing film.

It starts with young Freddie as a bag chucker at the airport and follows him/Queen up until the Live Aid concert. It mainly follows him and his relationships with the band, the woman he proposed to, drugs, men and music. And some AIDS.

The actor playing him is uncanny in appearance, mannerisms and voice. Brian May too and there were times when I honestly wasn’t sure if it was May on screen.

I really enjoyed it but I wouldn’t rush to see it. Better to wait until it’s on telly. 6.5
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:20 pm

I just went to see Aquaman. It's obviously rubbish, but I really enjoyed it. It's like a greatest hits megamix of scenes from other action films you've previously seen: Avengers, GI Joe, Raiders, Aliens, dozens of others that flitted in and out of mind as the film progressed. It's only two hours long but it's absolutely jam-packed with event and travelogue. And Nicole Kidman ffs!

Jason Momoa is genuinely ace, laconic and smirking but absolutely up to the job. Amber Heard looks beautiful. The score and production design and sound design and cgi effects are top notch. Especially the cgi which is properly incredible.

But in the final analysis, I expect it would be ideal for twelve year old boys with unusually long attention spans.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:43 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I've got a new favourite film that I watched at the weekend. I want to write loads about it, and maybe will eventually. Anyway, it's The Night Comes For Us, and it's on Netflix - which means it's essentially free. If you liked The Raid 2 you will like this, but if you don't like epic violent crime films, subtitles, martial arts, or literally horror-film levels of gore and mayhem it may not be quite up your straße.

Still. It's bloody (and bloody) brilliant.

I got the chance to watch The Night Comes For Us again at Nervefest '18 a couple of weeks ago (you may remember I never rewatch films except Raiders), and I loved it even more than before. So much so that I then watched it again the next morning. It is immense.

Other films in the line up included Jack & Jill (unwatchable garbage, gave up after 20 minutes), White Chicks (unwatchable garbage, gave up after 15 minutes), Forbidden Planet (50s corker), The Editor (low-budget gory nonsense), The Artist (which you've all doubtless seen), and Mandy.

Mandy is interesting; it's the new Nicolas Cage phantasmagorical revenge epic as he devours the scenery in huge mouthfuls pursuing the creepy religious cult who murdered his wife (the eponymous). It has been incredibly well reviewed - critics really getting on side with it and revelling in the insanity of Cage's performance as he finally gets a role that's mad enough to keep up with his recent acting choices. Gruesome and bananas - right up my straße. Except, I hated it. I cannot stress this enough, hated. It drives you to despair as you watch, baffled by lack of event and endless cloying static shots of characters not doing anything.

Just horrible. And not in a good way.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:03 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Mandy is interesting; it's the new Nicolas Cage phantasmagorical revenge epic as he devours the scenery in huge mouthfuls pursuing the creepy religious cult who murdered his wife (the eponymous). It has been incredibly well reviewed - critics really getting on side with it and revelling in the insanity of Cage's performance as he finally gets a role that's mad enough to keep up with his recent acting choices. Gruesome and bananas - right up my straße. Except, I hated it. I cannot stress this enough, hated. It drives you to despair as you watch, baffled by lack of event and endless cloying static shots of characters not doing anything.

How did you manage more than 10 minutes?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Mandy is interesting; it's the new Nicolas Cage phantasmagorical revenge epic as he devours the scenery in huge mouthfuls pursuing the creepy religious cult who murdered his wife (the eponymous). It has been incredibly well reviewed - critics really getting on side with it and revelling in the insanity of Cage's performance as he finally gets a role that's mad enough to keep up with his recent acting choices. Gruesome and bananas - right up my straße. Except, I hated it. I cannot stress this enough, hated. It drives you to despair as you watch, baffled by lack of event and endless cloying static shots of characters not doing anything.

How did you manage more than 10 minutes?
Determination. The other two films I couldn't bear were in competition specifically as being bad.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:46 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I just went to see Aquaman. It's obviously rubbish, but I really enjoyed it. It's like a greatest hits megamix of scenes from other action films you've previously seen: Avengers, GI Joe, Raiders, Aliens, dozens of others that flitted in and out of mind as the film progressed. It's only two hours long but it's absolutely jam-packed with event and travelogue. And Nicole Kidman ffs!

Jason Momoa is genuinely ace, laconic and smirking but absolutely up to the job. Amber Heard looks beautiful. The score and production design and sound design and cgi effects are top notch. Especially the cgi which is properly incredible.

But in the final analysis, I expect it would be ideal for twelve year old boys with unusually long attention spans.

I saw this last night. Every few months I meet up with a few mates and we go see a film. Nothing on particularly appealed but I suggested Aquaman because “A mate of mine said he saw it and although he said it was rubbish he really enjoyed it”. We agreed afterwards that I am never allowed to pick the film again and I should cut all ties with you from now on.

It’s overtaken The Happening as the worst film I’ve ever seen. Every time it veered into sobadit’sgood territory they would pull it back into noit’sjustawful with some dreadful earnest and clunky dialogue. I’ve never walked out of a cinema before but last night was the closest I’ve come.

The focus group of 12yr old were given every popular action/sci-if film from the past 30yrs. Writers were given a brief of “that scene, but underwater” and instead of telling the pre-teens to fcuk off they went ahead and made it. The result is an incoherent mess with no redeeming features whatsoever. And it’s so damn long. 140 minutes of drawn out dire.

The only thing that kept me sane was 1) spotting the scenes they copied, but underwater (irrelevant Jurassic Park at one point), 2) pissing myself laughing at the ridiculousness of the Black Mamba character who was supposed to be terrifying but instead looked like Stewie from Family guy and 3) pissing myself laughing when Aquaman was talking to someone about Black Mamba and why he’s so angry. “He thinks I’m responsible for his father’s death”. That’s because you are responsible for his father’s death you fcuking moron. We saw it 2hrs ago.

Dreadful.

eta it has 68% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not the fanboy rating, the critics rating. Genuine paid critics have given it an average score of 68%. Flabbergasted
Last edited by thekungfury on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:50 am

thekungfury wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I just went to see Aquaman. It's obviously rubbish, but I really enjoyed it. It's like a greatest hits megamix of scenes from other action films you've previously seen: Avengers, GI Joe, Raiders, Aliens, dozens of others that flitted in and out of mind as the film progressed. It's only two hours long but it's absolutely jam-packed with event and travelogue. And Nicole Kidman ffs!

I saw this last night. Every few months I meet up with a few mates and we go see a film. Nothing on particularly appealed but I suggested Aquaman because “A mate of mine said he saw it and although he said it was rubbish he really enjoyed it”. We agreed afterwards that I am never allowed to pick the film again and I should cut all ties with you from now on.

It’s overtaken The Happening as the worst film I’ve ever seen. Every time it veered into sobadit’sgood territory they would pull it back into noit’sjustawful with some dreadful earnest and clunky dialogue. I’ve never walked out of a cinema before but last night was the closest I’ve come.

The focus group of 12yr old were given every popular action/sci-if film from the past 30yrs. Writers were given a brief of “that scene, but underwater” and instead of telling the pre-teens to fcuk off they went ahead and made it. The result is an incoherent mess with no redeeming features whatsoever. And it’s so damn long. 140 minutes of drawn out dire.

The only thing that kept me sane was 1) spotting the scenes they copied, but underwater (irrelevant Jurassic Park at one point), 2) pissing myself laughing at the ridiculousness of the Black Mamba character who was supposed to be terrifying but instead looked like Stewie from Family guy and 3) pissing myself laughing when Aquaman was talking to someone about Black Mamba and why he’s so angry. “He thinks I’m responsible for his father’s death”. That’s because you are responsible for his father’s death you fcuking moron. We saw it 2hrs ago.

Dreadful.

eta it has 68% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not the fanboy rating, the critics rating. Genuine paid critics have given it an average score of 68%. Flabbergasted
Sorry.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:49 pm

There haven't been many films out recently that I've been bothered about watching, but in the last couple of weeks, we watched The Meg and The First Purge.

The Meg was exactly how you would expect it to be, though surprisingly less gory than I remember other shark films being (I've only just realised that is because it was rated 12A. WTF?). Nothing unexpected happened and it was basically all the shark films ever rolled into one. I'd almost say it was a bit boring somehow.

The First Purge was the prequel to the other films and showed how the purge night thing first came about. Law and order is breaking down so the government decides to have the first purge as an experiment on Staten Island which is full of poor black and Latino people so it seems like really an exercise in ethnic cleansing. They pay residents $5K to stay put during the experiment and extra if they get actively involved in killing people. Initially, the people all just have a big street party and no-one is getting killed, so they chuck a few mercenaries in to stir things up. I was expecting this to be shit, but it was a lot better than I anticipated and unexpectedly thought provoking.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by chinkypig @ Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:19 pm

The Meg is much less fun than it should be really. If it had Deep Blue Sea levels of gore it would elevate it considerably imo.
chinkypig

What was the last film you watched?

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Reshot and recut twice. Wasn’t the film it was supposed to be. Studio also changed their minds on the rating which was a shame, but that was territory led so not surprising.
Last edited by Käsemeister on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Käsemeister

Post by chinkypig @ Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:29 pm

I still found it quite enjoyable at the cinema but left feeling wistful about the blood orgy it could have been.
chinkypig

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:58 am

chinkypig wrote:The Meg is much less fun than it should be really. If it had Deep Blue Sea levels of gore it would elevate it considerably imo.

I was kind of hoping for Crank, but with sharks!
HappyGoLucky

Post by deev @ Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:54 pm

Fast and Furious 7. Absolute nonsense with supercars crashing through skyscrapers and everyone delivering lines that'd have seemed cheesy in the first film. Quite enjoyable though and pretty sad end scene tacked on to write Paul Walker out of the franchise.
deev
Banger King

Post by chinkypig @ Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

Three from the weekend, Paddington, which I can only describe as absolutely delightful.

Halloween 2018 which is well made and quite intense, but never ‘scary’ as I understand it. It also has a plot twist that I’m amazed made it past the first draft of the script and was completely unnecessary imo.

The Predator which although violent enough to be considered a ‘proper’ Pred turns out ultimately to be just proper poo.
It has many things wrong with it but what it really needed was a simplified plot which didn’t retcon the earlier movies, a better lead and to forget this super predator rubbish.
The original Predator not being a scary enough concept...said no one ever.
chinkypig

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 pm

I watched The Greatest Showman. "Ha", I thought, I can win some domestic points by sitting to watch this with Mrs Thorn and my daughter, but simultaneously I can feel superior to all the other people who made the film such a hit by being quietly disdainful and not taking paying proper attention because its not worth it.

To my absolute horror, though, I genuinely enjoyed it. Loved the songs and the romance and the Hugh Jackman of it all. Infuriating!

I did get an opportunity towards the end of the film though, to have this exchange with my M-i-L:

Mil - look at him riding that elephant!
Me (deadpan) - yes. Amazing.
Mil - Is that a real elephant? I didn't think they trained elephants like that now. Cruel.
Me - it's special effects.
Mil - what? You mean it's not a real elephant? It must be real! It looks very realistic.
Me - it's cgi.
Mil - it must be be real. Look at its trunk!
Me - this'll blow your mind then...
Mil: what?
Me - THERE IS NO ELEPHANT.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:18 pm

I am also somewhat bewildered by all the praise this film has been getting. I thought it was awful. Felt like something an angsty teen film student would make - here’s a red filter and a smoke machine. Let’s make a film!
GingerNinja

Post by S1K @ Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:33 pm

If I was you DT I’d definitely have entertained myself by telling her that they trained the elephant with electric cattle prods and that Hugh Jackman was holding a taser to its neck. In fact they had to go to China to film that whole scene because the animal cruelty laws in the US would have meant he had to do it all on a horse or a bicycle and the director said that if they couldn’t use an elephant he was going to walk off the set.
S1K

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I watched The Greatest Showman. "Ha", I thought, I can win some domestic points by sitting to watch this with Mrs Thorn and my daughter, but simultaneously I can feel superior to all the other people who made the film such a hit by being quietly disdainful and not taking paying proper attention because its not worth it.

To my absolute horror, though, I genuinely enjoyed it. Loved the songs and the romance and the Hugh Jackman of it all. Infuriating!

I did get an opportunity towards the end of the film though, to have this exchange with my M-i-L:

Mil - Is that a real elephant? I didn't think they trained elephants like that now. Cruel.
Mil - what? You mean it's not a real elephant? It must be real! It looks very realistic.
Me - it's cgi.

Strangely reminiscent of watching the live action Jungle Book with my mother a couple of Christmases ago.

When Shere Khan appears at the water hole to say hello to Mowgli, she pipes up "How did they get all other animals to just stand there when that tiger's walking past them?"

Slow turning of heads towards her, and narrowing of eyes followed...
Greg66

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:53 pm

We saw Mary Poppins yesterday, the new one. It’s very true to the original which, depending on your thoughts on the original, is a brilliant/terrible thing.

I have fond memories of watching MP as a kid so this got a lot of nostalgia points. It’s a new film, not a remake, but the feel is very much the same right down to the silly overacting. Emily Blunt plays MP brilliantly and the American doing English accent gaslighter is a close approximation. Overall it’s sympathetic rather than being a pastiche.

Ultimately it’s a dreadfully boring and predictable film that goes on too long with lots of filler songs. Again, just like the original. However it’s also thoroughly enjoyable but only if you care about the original.
thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:00 pm

I found out that while Anchorman was pretty funny in parts Anchorman 2 is dire.
S1K

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Quite shocking the drop off in quality between 1 & 2, the only equivalent I can think of is the original star wars films and the reboot with Jar Jar Binks.
Strawman

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I watched The Greatest Showman. "Ha", I thought, I can win some domestic points by sitting to watch this with Mrs Thorn and my daughter, but simultaneously I can feel superior to all the other people who made the film such a hit by being quietly disdainful and not taking paying proper attention because its not worth it.

Me - it's cgi.

That reminds me of watching No Country For Old Men a few years ago with MIL at Christmas. I really like that film but it was punctuated every few minutes by:

Why's he doing that?
Who's he?
Who's she?
He should do X instead of Y, that's just stupid.
Now what's he doing?
Where's that other one gone?
etc etc etc

Then at the end:

Well, that was just crap, wasn't it? Utter crap. I don't know why they make these stupid films. I didn't understand any of it!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:23 pm

We watched Bird Box last night in the absence of much else to watch. It basically seemed to take quite a lot from other films, including A Quiet Place being the most obvious one. In brief, the story is Sandra Bullock taking two small children on a boat to escape some mysterious apocalyptic thing which makes people kill themselves. It's not bad, but it's not great.

6/10.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Quite enjoyed Bird Box. Thought Sandra Bullock was excellent.

The Favourite: outstanding. 9.5.
Greg66

Post by ypauly @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Tony

A loner that enjoys old vhs action movies and the occasional murder

7/10
ypauly

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 pm

ypauly wrote:Tony

A loner that enjoys old vhs action movies and the occasional murder

7/10

Wanted to see that as the soundtrack is by theThe
Doctor Congo

Post by stuart @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:39 am

I really liked BIrd Box, it was the closest thing to a Lovecraft film we have so far.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by chinkypig @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:08 am

Venom last night, low expectations given I’m not a massive fan of Tom Hardy nor the character but it turned out to be quite a fun watch.
Relatively straight forward plot and a good sense of its own silliness.

I’m glad it did well and I’d certainly watch another.
chinkypig

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:25 am

2 on Netflix yesterday:

Sleepless. A Jamie Foxx ‘em up, set in Las Vegas, that features corrupt cops, corrupt casino bosses, corrupt drug dealers and Jamie Foxx whispering. It’s ok. Nothing new but entertaining enough to pass the time. It has a track from Run the Jewels first album over the end credits which I’d forgotten all about so have been listening to it quite loudly this morning.

Escape Plan 2. Absolute shit featuring the exhumed corpse of Stallone and a clearly made-for-China lead actor. Honestly, this is garbage and I think we need to stop making films especially for the Chinese market. They like shit films! It makes no sense at all. It’s a stupid prison break thing but the prison is ludicrous and features a Cube-esque shifting structure and weird electric punishment beams and other shit. Like a cross between Fortress, Cube and an actual shit, but made for China.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club