What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:01 pm

I watched Stan and Ollie at the weekend and it was a similar experience to Gregg's Mary Queen of Scots. Fantastic performances, particularly from Coogan, who reminds you every now and again how good his impression is when he switches from 'off-screen' Stan Laurel to the on-screen version. Also, the recreations of the famous skits were spot-on, but I think because all of the off-stage/screen stuff was essentially made up, you're left wanting to know more about their relationship than is actually revealed. It's a 10/10 for the two lead performances but only a 7/10 for the film as a whole.
ttwiggy

Post by S1K @ Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Has anyone paid to watch Holmes and Watson with Will Ferrell and John C Reilly yet? It's meant to be one of the worst films ever made and is currently languishing at 10% on Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/holmes_and_watson_2018

It makes me wonder in a way how such terrible films get made by major studios.
S1K

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Sometimes terrible films make money anyway, like with Adam Sandlers ouvre, other times it's not wanting to admit it is a stinker and hiring dozens of writers to keep reworking the script as the thing is being shot. Don't know.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm

There's an interesting chapter in one of Kermode's books about how it doesn't matter if a film is any good or not, it's how it's promoted that determined whether it makes loads of money.

I can't remember the name of the book or exactly how his point went, but I'm not your bloody butler ffs!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Oh, and Mrs 66 saw Free Solo (the free climb up El Capitan thing). Said it was excellent if more than a bit terrifying from first to last.
Greg66

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:There's an interesting chapter in one of Kermode's books about how it doesn't matter if a film is any good or not, it's how it's promoted that determined whether it makes loads of money.

I can't remember the name of the book or exactly how his point went, but I'm not your bloody butler ffs!

The Good, the Bad and the Multiplex? I’ve read that one and that chatter sounds familiar...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

What was the last film you watched?

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:29 am

It’s also one of the reasons the “it made x million from a y million budget” articles are bollocks, as Y never includes the marketing budget which on tentpole films can be the same or even more than the production cost.
Last edited by Käsemeister on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Käsemeister

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:There's an interesting chapter in one of Kermode's books about how it doesn't matter if a film is any good or not, it's how it's promoted that determined whether it makes loads of money.

The Good, the Bad and the Multiplex? I’ve read that one and that chatter sounds familiar...

That book is excellent. Definite recommend if you haven't read it.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by chinkypig @ Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:06 pm

About Solo, which I mentioned in the telly thread.

Quite an enjoyable caper film imo and seemed quite capable of generating some tension in spite of knowing that Han and Chewie would make it through.

I know some people complain about blatant fan service and have said it touches on too many references to the original films but I again didn’t find any of this distracting and liked that Chewbacca was actually treated like a character. I don’t think TFA or TLJ did this in any meaningful way.

It’s not in anyway exceptional and it is distractingly dark in places (lighting rather than tone) but it and Rogue One are the only, to me, enjoyable new SW films.

3 out of 5 sets of space dice.
chinkypig

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 am

The Night Eats The World shows you what happens when a man who just wants to be left alone ends up completely alone, when the world ends while he's asleep after having a row with his ex. It's a zombie film, but not like that. It doesn't want to look at the ins and outs of a zombified world, or frightening undead attacks or cool death scenes, it wants to think about what someone might do if they were a normal, thoughtful, nice person, and there was no one around to give them shit any more.

Imagine 28 Days Later but without anything happening. I really really liked it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:12 am

We saw Bird Box last and was a bit underwhelmed. Mainly due to the hype as it’s an OK film. It’s fine. It’s alright. A 6.

The idea is sound but the actual doing stuff is a bit annoying/unrealistic. Driving to the supermarket using gps particularly wound me up. It’s as if they thought nobody had ever used gps before and would be really impressed by it. It took them right to the door! Plus cars would be all over the streets after the thing.

The bits with the kids raised the tension and, as a parent, I found them uncomfortable to watch.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:56 am

I thought it was Shit Box for much the same reasons as you.

Plus John M’vich is the only intelligent person in the house and, well...

Thought it went on too long and laughed out loud when it cut back to her after 48hrs on the river, still rowing hard. Like a blind James Cracknell. Aye, no bother love, just row solidly for three days and you’ll be grand. Ridiculous.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Also laughed out loud when Bullock absolutely snubbed the fat bird by completely ignoring the delicately set up conversation earlier where she talked about what she would want to name her daughter by calling her a different name. :rofl:
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:16 pm

King of Thieves. I love a true story film and this was good and just an enjoyable watch. Nothing fancy cinemagraphically apart from some flashbacks to previous deeds (and bizarrely old films (Scum being one)). 7/10
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by S1K @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:29 pm

S1K

Post by Strawman @ Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Roma the multi Oscar nominated film that was part financed by Netflix, by the director of Gravity Alfonso Cuarón. Some people are raving about this, hence I thought I should watch it. It is beautifully shot with almost endless languid tracking shots, mostly of the giant set, which was built on a studio lot to recreate a Mexican street. It's different in that the plot is slow and subtle, so it's easy to just imagine you are watching people go about their lives in Mexico in the early 1970's. Overall worth watching though I'm not sure what I watched, but it was memorable, 6/10.
Strawman

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:17 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:King of Thieves. I love a true story film and this was good and just an enjoyable watch. Nothing fancy cinemagraphically apart from some flashbacks to previous deeds (and bizarrely old films (Scum being one)). 7/10

Didn't you think it was a little unresolved?

Just as I started saying to my wife, if they finish it here it'll be a real sh...... fcuk.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:37 am

American Animals. Some college students plan to steal some rare books from their college library.

Should have been very good but it was just "meh ok".

6/10
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:44 am

Il Duce wrote:American Animals. Some college students plan to steal some rare books from their college library.

6/10

Concur.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
Il Duce wrote:American Animals. Some college students plan to steal some rare books from their college library.

6/10

Concur.

Ah good. I watched it after 3 glasses of wine and I wasn't sure if it was the booze talking.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:19 am

I started watching Assassin's Creed last night. Has anyone seen it? I managed about 35 minutes of trudging through the incomprehensible murk of it. Shocking. Absolute shit.

I couldn't see what was going on because it was so gloomily shot. I couldn't hear what was going on because everyone talked like Bale Batman. I couldn't understand what was going on because it made no sense. And because the editing was like an explosion at the scissors factory.

I'm going to watch Velvet Buzzsaw now. Apparently it's quite divisive and unlike anything else. And all the press has been insisting that no, its not a horror film actually.

Sounds right up my straße.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:32 am

6/10

There has to be more to the plot than that, surely. That sounds like a prequel to "some office workers plan to steal some stationery supplies from their employer".
Greg66

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:53 am

Greg66 wrote:

6/10

There has to be more to the plot than that, surely. That sounds like a prequel to "some office workers plan to steal some stationery supplies from their employer".

I can't tell you more without spoiling it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by stuart @ Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I started watching Assassin's Creed last night. Has anyone seen it? I managed about 35 minutes of trudging through the incomprehensible murk of it. Shocking. Absolute shit.

I couldn't see what was going on because it was so gloomily shot. I couldn't hear what was going on because everyone talked like Bale Batman. I couldn't understand what was going on because it made no sense. And because the editing was like an explosion at the scissors factory.

I've played a few of the games. The story / plot in the game is completely incomprehensible. I wouldn't expect the films to be any better...
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Velvet Buzzsaw was terrific.

A nigh-on all-star cast ponce it up something ridiculous as self-important contemporary artists, critics and galleristi. I found it hilarious and daft, having it's art cake as well as scoffing it right down by simultaneously laughing at the art scene and seemingly wailing about how real art is important.

I loved how wry it was, how it looked, several of the performances (astonishingly John Malkovich wasn't ticcing his face off to unbearable extremes), how very very silly it was and also how much it wanted to be creepy and ominous.

A hoot.

You won't like it at all, obv. But I did.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:54 pm

The Predator.

Utter dogshit.

I've always loved the original Predator film and even liked Predator vs Alien (only the first one in the underground pyramid). But it's a mystery to me why they seem incapable of doing a good follow up to it, because nearly all of them have been shite. This one is no less shite and there's so much wrong with it that I can't even be bothered to start. Even the CGI is shite.

1/10
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:The Predator.

Utter dogshit.

I've always loved the original Predator film and even liked Predator vs Alien (only the first one in the underground pyramid). But it's a mystery to me why they seem incapable of doing a good follow up to it, because nearly all of them have been shite. This one is no less shite and there's so much wrong with it that I can't even be bothered to start. Even the CGI is shite.

1/10
I really liked it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Oh, sorry!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 pm

Rewritten, reshot and then reshot again. Mess of a production.
Käsemeister

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:26 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I started watching Assassin's Creed last night. Has anyone seen it? I managed about 35 minutes of trudging through the incomprehensible murk of it. Shocking. Absolute shit.

I'm going to watch Velvet Buzzsaw now. Apparently it's quite divisive and unlike anything else. And all the press has been insisting that no, its not a horror film actually.

Sounds right up my straße.

I watched all that assassin film on a plane...

Shit and confusing all at once
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club