What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Greg66 @ Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:32 am

A Star Is Born (2018)*

I expected to be indifferent to this, but bloody hell how wrong could I have been? It is excellent. A simple story, told well, with thre compelling performances. The characters’ fortunes are both joyous are painful to watch, and yet the balance is executed so well you remain entirely sympathetic to everyone.

A great film. 9.5/10

*Did you know this is is the fourth version of this film? 30s, 50s, 70s, teens. I didn’t.
Greg66

Post by Aesgarth @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I forgot to say, I watched Polar as well. Which is the Mads Mikkelsen alt John Wick tale of an almost retired unstoppable hitman hunted by a raft of killers who mistakenly believe he can't actually be as lethal as the stories suggest.

It's not very good, but I quite enjoyed it. It's nonsense of course, but stupidly, splashily, absurdly violent. Torture and headshots abound. And there's also Vanessa Hudgens, who I'm ashamed to say I wouldn't even have recognised in this if I hadn't read that it was her.

I'm glad I watched it, and I wasn't bored, but in a way it reminded me of Hardcore Henry; a little of it would have gone a long way. But there wasn't a little, there was a two-hour lot.

I'm watching it right at this very moment and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I watched Polar last night, and i enjoyed it quite a lot but I don't think it's something I will be watching again in a hurry.

I also watched Tiptoes after Strawms recommended it in the trailers thread. I have very little to say about it other than casting Gary Oldman as a dwarf seems an odd decision...
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Strawman @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:41 am

Aesgarth wrote:I also watched Tiptoes after Strawms recommended it in the trailers thread. I have very little to say about it other than casting Gary Oldman as a dwarf seems an odd decision...

I've only actually seen the trailer and didn't know it existed until last week, so I was recommending watching the trailer more than the film, are all the best bits in the trailer? I don't think I could cope with 2 hours of cringing.
Strawman

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:00 pm

I watched Polar last night but didn’t really like it.

It felt a bit like it was trying too hard to be all stylized but didn’t really manage it. John Wick a much better revenge ‘me up IMO.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:07 pm

I thought Polar was mediocre, I didn't like
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • the torture scene, went on way too long, I know it's only make believe but not my idea of entertainment.
      The highlight for me was when some henchmen ran away towards the end, finally some henchmen who didn't fancy their chances after they'd seen dozens of other henchmen getting killed off
Last edited by Strawman on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Strawman wrote:I thought Polar was mediocre, I didn't like
    • the torture scene, went on way too long, I know it's only make believe but not my idea of entertainment.
      The highlight for me was when some henchmen ran away towards the end, finally some henchmen who didn't fancy their chances after they'd seen dozens of other henchmen getting killed off

Agreed strawms.

I thought the
    • torture scene was rubbish too, and also weirdly irrelevant given the motivation of Matt Lucas’ character. If the whole film was just essentially him not wanting to pay out pensions, you feel he’d have come up with a better way of doing it.
Last edited by Disastrous on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Yeah
    • In real life he'd put all the money in bitcoin and fake his own death taking the password with him
Strawman

Post by S1K @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:19 pm

I watched a feature length documentary about Frank Williams last night - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6981046/ - which made him out to be a complete tw@t.

His wife was apparently so obsessed with him that she stalked him by parking outside his factory for weeks at a time even though she was already married. She left her husband and got hitched to Frank who lived off her family money for a decade before his F1 ambitions came good. He cheated on her all the time and never spent any time with his family then when he had his accident, caused by him driving like a tw@t, she nursed him day and night. She wrote an autobiography because she couldn’t speak to him about anything but he has never bothered reading it. His kids hate each other.
S1K

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 am

Strawman wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:I also watched Tiptoes after Strawms recommended it in the trailers thread. I have very little to say about it other than casting Gary Oldman as a dwarf seems an odd decision...

I've only actually seen the trailer and didn't know it existed until last week, so I was recommending watching the trailer more than the film, are all the best bits in the trailer? I don't think I could cope with 2 hours of cringing.

Oh really...
Strawman wrote:Not a new film, it was released in 2003 and disappeared without a trace

what were they thinking?

If that's not a recommendation I don't know what is.

Anyway. There are some amusing bits that aren't in the trailer. The trailer is not even remotely in the right order either. It's Less cringey than you probably expect but basically just a bit shit with not much good acting. I wouldn't waste 2 hours on it, or, on reflection, the £2.49 I spent on the DVD.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:30 am

S1K wrote:I watched a feature length documentary about Frank Williams last night - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6981046/ - which made him out to be a complete tw@t.

His wife was apparently so obsessed with him that she stalked him by parking outside his factory for weeks at a time even though she was already married. She left her husband and got hitched to Frank who lived off her family money for a decade before his F1 ambitions came good. He cheated on her all the time and never spent any time with his family then when he had his accident, caused by him driving like a tw@t, she nursed him day and night. She wrote an autobiography because she couldn’t speak to him about anything but he has never bothered reading it. His kids hate each other.

I saw that. It only confirmed my impression of him.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 pm

I watched Ocean’s Eight. It was fun.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Is there a phrase for the opposite of déjà vu? For when you expect to find something weirdly familiar, but then you just don't? Nega vu, maybe? Anyway. I have watched The Thing loads of times. And Alien, and Aliens, and loads of cheap and expensive variations on those space monstery themes. So when I watched Life this morning, I expected it would be just more of the same - a big budget, big-name, not-especially-scary, not-especially-violent Hollywood-esque popcorn version of the same, diluted for audiences too young to remember or respect the older stories. After all, how much variation can there be with a story about an extra terrestrial jellymonster rampaging through a spaceship crewed by hapless nerd scientists?

More than I expected, it seems. Because Life does quite a lot of things I wasn't expecting, and it does them with a straight face and excellent special effects (especially the gravity-free weightlessness effects) and a really strong cast doing solid stuff with a script that intersperses unneeded expositionary guff with big chunks of tightening tension and nerve-rattling squeam. And some pretty nifty zero gravity blood splatter and creeping dread.

Although it's quite possible that might just be because I drank four big strong coffees straight just before starting to watch.

An almost all-star cast (as long as you consider Rebecca Ferguson and Hiroyuki Sanada "stars") must be having a great time essentially playing space-Friday-the-13th, where you try to guess who's going to die next, and how - although they strain to elevate things to higher and more dramatic planes with serious delivery of technical guff and tear/fear-stained cheeks and mourning - it's an old-school monster horror, seasoned with Executive Decision and determined to wrangle a final shocking twist into play. Which was unfortunately the most predictable plot development it employed, after keeping me intrigued and guessing for most of 100 minutes.

Wev. I really enjoyed it. And not only that I enjoyed it much more than I expected to. It's not Event Horizon, but it's not Lifeforce either.

ps: yet again, Rebecca Ferguson looks absolutely gorgeous, even though she's actually pretty funny looking. But that's star power, I suppose.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dirk @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Jamais vu
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by chinkypig @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:12 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed Life, it was a little predictable but it didn’t spoil my experience one bit.
I think it was damned with faint praise when it was released and that’s a shame, it deserved better imo.

Anyhoo, Polar later I think.
chinkypig

Post by UncleBulgaria @ Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:11 pm

'Hunter Killer'

My word, I wasn't expecting much, but jeez... A LITTLE bit of effort when making a film would have been the least they could do.
UncleBulgaria

Post by UncleBulgaria @ Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:13 pm

chinkypig wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed Life, it was a little predictable but it didn’t spoil my experience one bit.
I think it was damned with faint praise when it was released and that’s a shame, it deserved better imo.

Anyhoo, Polar later I think.

Really enjoyed Life. Very Alien, but without being alien, if you get my drift?

Polar is weird. Good in a weird way, whilst also being bad, but good.
UncleBulgaria

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:55 pm

I've got two for you: You Were Never Really Here and Clown.

Clown first. Clown is the story of an estate agent who turns into an evil clown after he becomes possessed by a demonic Scandinavian wig. It's surprisingly gory because he eats some children. It was quite good, but frankly was never really going to transcend the genre.

You Were Never Really Here is a revenge drama following Joe, a contract heavy who goes about his business with a hammer and rescues the daughter of a senator from a sex ring. Unfortunately this triggers a series of personal repercussions that drag him further into conflict. It's a fascinating film, because it shows you all the bits in between the bits you might expect to see. Joe kills many people, but either just out of shot, or just before the camera cuts to the scene. There's a lot of aftermath, but very little actual math. I liked it a lot, but any plot synopsis you read will massively give you the wrong idea about what you're going to watch.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:51 pm

I watched You Were Never Really Here a while ago and thought it a little thin then wasn’t enormously surprised to find out that it was adapted from a novella rather than a full length book. It wasn’t terrible but it just felt like a snack rather than a full meal.
S1K

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Greg66 wrote:A Star Is Born (2018)*

I expected to be indifferent to this, but bloody hell how wrong could I have been? It is excellent. A simple story, told well, with thre compelling performances. The characters’ fortunes are both joyous are painful to watch, and yet the balance is executed so well you remain entirely sympathetic to everyone.

A great film. 9.5/10

*Did you know this is is the fourth version of this film? 30s, 50s, 70s, teens. I didn’t.

I absolutely loved this, despite not expecting to and also didn't know it was a remake remake remake. I'd always been fairly indifferent to Lady Gaga but I genuinely enjoyed her performance.

Tonight, we are watching Hunter Killer. It's awful. It's action-packed and sort of fun in a way but fcuking hell, Gerard Butler. Is he worse than Seen Been, do you think?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by chinkypig @ Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:32 am

Gerald Butler is awesome, his character of Stabby McHeadshot in Olympus Has Fallen is a marvellous creation.

Also Geostorm ofc, outstanding.

CA: The Winter Soldier last night for the umteenth time. My absolute favourite of the Marvel series.

Tech aside, it’s 70’s style focus on intrigue lifts it up a level and the soundtrack works for me in a way many of the others doesn’t. Not that the others are bad particularly but the motifs in TWS are much more memorable imo.

The finale is the usual giant flying things and assorted battle for the fate of mankind but what leads up to it is just that little bit special for me.
Last edited by chinkypig on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
chinkypig

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:19 pm

I watched Ready Player One over the weekend. It's largely throwaway popcorn stuff, but the segment where they go into another film (no spoilers) is amazing.
ttwiggy

Post by span @ Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:22 pm

ttwiggy wrote:I watched Ready Player One over the weekend. It's largely throwaway popcorn stuff, but the segment where they go into another film (no spoilers) is amazing.

Oh I saw that recently, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! That scene and a few others, I found it really fun and imaginative.

I didn't realise that was Mark Rylance til after. (I never remember his name and just had to search 'Flop from Bing' to get it)
span

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 pm

chinkypig wrote:Gerald Butler is awesome, his character of Stabby McHeadshot in Olympus Has Fallen is a marvellous creation..

He’s the new John McClane
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Ghost In The Shell. But before I say what I thought of it, I will say that Netflix is a wanker. I knew GITS had arrived on Netflix because I regularly check in with my Justwatch (endless thanks to teeks who gave the heads up on this back in the day, it's invaluable), but even though I knew it was there, I absolutely could not find it just by scrolling around through new releases and recommendeds. I had to actually search for it by name in the end. Which shows how effective Netflix is with its suggestions of things you might like. Wank, that's how effective. And this isn't the first time it's hidden things from me that I wanted to see, either.

Anyway; GITS. You will have seen this by now anyway, if you ever wanted to - although I hadn't but did, and now I have. I saw the old anime years ago and remember thinking it was les chiens', but could remember nothing much really about it apart from the tankbusting scene, and the arms falling off. Luckily the new GITS with Scarjo saw fit to reiterate that for me in iirc slightly-less-crippling,-slightly-more-forgiving detail. Thematically there's a lot going on here that parallels what's on display in Alita: Battle Angel, but where that goes for shiny chrome action and slam bang punch ups set in a future made of dust and rubbish and bits of Mexico, GITS goes for arty-farty musings and ponderous slomo significance and a future made of Blade Runner. Giant neons and holograms and animated adverts adorn the multi-layered future cityscape, and frankly it must be pretty infuriating for anyone visually designing a future cityscape to avoid BR comparos. Because BR got things pretty much spot on with its depictions, and the only thing they could do in GITS to differentiate things was to have better weather.

Scarlett Johansson is sexy but dull in her robobodied catsuit get up, as she flips from erased conformity to baffled woke. Pilou Asbæk is sexy and fun/cool, as well as surprisingly massive with his retro Gary Barlow haircut and RSPB eye inserts. Takeshi Kitano is half asleep, but still sexy and formidable - even as he shuffles old-manlily through scenes where the producers just cba to make him learn the English dialogue. I do heart him so, though.

Overall, it's all fine. The effects are absolutely terrific though, both for world-building, and for close up robobusiness, and stealthcloaking. The story doesn't go anywhere surprising: oh, someone without a memory has had their past hidden from them and been lied to. Oh, a supercapable special agent uses their abilities to exact retribution on those who have wronged her past self. Wev. I suppose with this kind of genre stuff there's only so many things you can do with plot convolutions without alienating half the audience before you start. Like BR2049 did.You can't surprise people any more without going full-on nuts. And big expensive tentpoles can't afford to go full-on nuts, or the people stay at home in droves.

Visually it's all great, but seems to lose its courage as it progresses, and gradually spirals down into almost impossible levels of screen darkness. I'm sure the tank battle was much more thrilling before the final cgi rendering pass that erased 90% of the visible light spectrum. Loud guns, hilarious future cars clearly designed in 1977, bad (very bad; terrible) haircuts across the board. Nice to see me back in action on screen though, albeit briefly as I get my brain hacked by a rechipped robogeisha. Just my luck.

It almost kept my attention, but it wasn't very interesting. Certainly not as interesting as it wanted to be, or probably thought it was. I think I enjoyed the tea scene with the old Japanese lady more than I enjoyed any of the cyber shootouts, which might speak more about what happens when you're almost fifty, but I choose to believe it's what happens when you can't really make cyber shootouts interesting any more.

Wev/10

eta: a 't'
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Pilou Asbæk is sexy and fun/cool, as well as surprisingly massive with his retro Gary Barlow haircut and RSPB eye inserts.

Smile

I remember quite liking GITS when I first saw it. Years later when it came on NF we watched it, thinking we hadn’t seen it, and it took 20 minutes for us to realise we’d seen it. Even then we couldn’t remember the plot which kinda points to how Wev/10 it is.

The only thing I really remember now is how visually stunning it was.

Thank you for Justwatch btw. I’d forgotten about it and recently was trying to find a place that was showing Jurassic Park.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Captain Marvel.

My tolerance for the unstoppable machine that is Marvel and DC is fairly limited and I don't really know all the backstories and connections (I leave that to Mr C). He was desperate to go and see Captain Marvel so I agreed. I was a bit confused initially because it appeared CM was a space alien but then she wasn't and suddenly it was 1995 though there were definitely mobile phones in 1995.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot. Brie Larson is immensely likeable and great fun to watch and it didn't try as hard as say, Iron Man, to be knowingly funny but somehow managed to be funny too.

8/10
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Captain Marvel.

My tolerance for the unstoppable machine that is Marvel and DC is fairly limited and I don't really know all the backstories and connections (I leave that to Mr C). He was desperate to go and see Captain Marvel so I agreed. I was a bit confused initially because it appeared CM was a space alien but then she wasn't and suddenly it was 1995 though there were definitely mobile phones in 1995.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot. Brie Larson is immensely likeable and great fun to watch and it didn't try as hard as say, Iron Man, to be knowingly funny but somehow managed to be funny too.

8/10

I, like your husband (important to get the punctuation right for that), was very keen to see this. I suppose you could say I’m quite heavily invested in these films and am super keen for the arrival of Avengers Endgame. I’m also fully on board with having a new powerhouse on the goodies’ side and like that she’s a she (as do my two girls).

And yet... this was a solid 7 for me.

I can’t quite put my finger on why. Maybe lots of things. For starters the only time we could get everyone together to see it was 11pm on a Friday night. So I was knackered. It felt - entirely because of its timing in the sequence - like a warm up routine for Endgame rather than a film in its own right. Or maybe that’s how I perceived it because I’m impatient to see Endgame. And there were bits that I felt sagged a bit, though maybe that was me sagging from tiredness.

I really liked Brie Larson in the title role but felt that she’d been told “uh, that’s good, but could you do it a bit more like Tony Stark would” sometimes. And I think I prefer the manipulative and cynical Nick Fury to the fresh faced version we saw. I know Annette Bening as the Supreme Intelligence was supposed to look artificial, but Christ she ended up looking like she’d made a happy retirement for a few plastic surgeons instead. She looked much better as her human/Kree character.

Reading this back makes me sound more negative about than I am. I think what it comes down to is that I suspect there was a great film in there somewhere, not just a good one, and that it was a bit of a missed opportunity.

• It also seemed to kill off completely the popular expectation that the next stage after Endgame would be a version of Secret War - where a bunch of supers are discovered to be Skrull imposters. Maybe that’s misdirection, at which Marvel excels or maybe the buyback of characters from Fox has led to a change of direction. Who knows?
Greg66

Post by chinkypig @ Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:59 pm

Just back from Captain Marvel and I have to say myself and Mrs Cp enjoyed it quite a bit.

Enjoyed the road her fragmented memories led her down, forgot about the de-aging almost immediately, liked the soundtrack (tunes and score) and especially enjoyed Goose.

Ben Mendelson (sp) was very good, the Fury/Danvers exchanges were fun, nice GotG connections and the Stan Lee cameo brought a lump to my throat.

I don’t know how to score it because it has many of the same strengths/weaknesses as most of the other films but on an enjoyment scale it was definitely an 8-9 imo.
chinkypig

Post by Greg66 @ Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Free Solo.

I have never ever felt physically sick watching a film. Until this. Un fcuking believable except it’s all true and happened and was filmed.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:01 am

The most amazing thing was that he’s got a girlfriend. Who would go out with someone who is so very likely to die on any given day?
S1K

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club