What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:27 am

Ghost Stories.

On Netflix, with Andy Ryman, Paul Whitehouse, and Martin Freeman. (Andy Ryman is that bloke who looks and sounds a bit like Nick Frost)

I'm an arch sceptic, and don't believe in anything supernatural or divine at all, but I adore a good ghost story.

I really enjoyed this. It's filmed beautifully, and the sense of dread builds patiently and relentlessly. The plot twists and turns like a twisty turny thing.

There's no comic undertone here, and I really like watching Whitehouse in particular do "proper" acting.

8/10. Also, don't watch it in the daytime - it's dark. Like, actually dark. Lack of photons dark. You'll lose a lot watching it in a brightly lit room.
Last edited by CJ+ on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:07 pm

S1K wrote:The most amazing thing was that he’s got a girlfriend. Who would go out with someone who is so very likely to die on any given day?

He's been featured on a podcast I listen to, where he claims that no free solo climber has ever died doing a challenging free solo ascent. That's not the impression I got from the deaths that were listed in the film, though I think he explains that one of those was a mountaineering death.

I sort of see where he's coming from: you've got to be so "on it" doing something challenging that that on its own lowers the risk. But the chance of a slip, being distracted, that sort of thing. They're never going to be zero.

The gf thing was strange. She seemed to regard him as a bit of a project. If she fell pregnant I can't imagine she'd let him carry on.
Greg66

Post by chinkypig @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:21 pm

CJ+ wrote:Ghost Stories.

On Netflix, with Andy Ryman, Paul Whitehouse, and Martin Freeman. (Andy Ryman is that bloke who looks and sounds a bit like Nick Frost)

I'm an arch sceptic, and don't believe in anything supernatural or divine at all, but I adore a good ghost story.

I really enjoyed this. It's filmed beautifully, and the sense of dread builds patiently and relentlessly. The plot twists and turns like a twisty turny thing.

There's no comic undertone here, and I really like watching Whitehouse in particular do "proper" acting.

8/10. Also, don't watch it in the daytime - it's dark. Like, actually dark. Lack of photons dark. You'll lose a lot watching it in a brightly lit room.

I thought this was great too although I found the ending a bit of a letdown.
Forgiven though as everything leading up to it is wonderful and I’m always grateful to see new ambitious British horror.

I’ve loved Andy Nyman since Severance but I didn’t realise he was a writer/director too.
chinkypig

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:39 pm

I really liked Severance I remember, now you've reminded me. I liked Ghost Stories too, mostly. But felt the 'twist' ending was so obvious throughout that I wasn't sure it was even actually meant to be a twist.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Greg66 wrote:
stuart wrote:Icarus on Netflix about the Russian Olympic athletes state sponsored doping.

It starts off as a documentary about a guy wanting to see if he can use PEDs to get better at cycling while remaining undetected as if he was under the same scrutiny as athletes and ends up being about the entire Russian doping scandal. It's really good!

I stumbled onto this last week and watched it. It is excellent.

And I say that as someone who was stone cold sober when they watched it.

I also stumbled across it this week and agree it’s excellent.

The film makers must have been so happy when it blew up. It went from a mildly interesting cycling documentary into being bang in the middle of a huge global scandal.
thekungfury

Post by chinkypig @ Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:18 am

Dragged Across Concrete.

Cops and criminals doing what they do and things going sideways as they do.

I was keen to see this having loved the directors previous two films and it didn’t disappoint.
It takes its time much like Bone Tomahawk but the character work and soundtrack are great. It is quite violent in places, although not to the extent of Brawl in Cell Block 99 and it’s more affecting because of this I think.

I’d say if you’ve seen and enjoyed either of the directors previous films it’s well worth watching but I’m sure some people will absolutely hate it.

Four bad decisions out of five.
chinkypig

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:32 am

Greg66 wrote:Free Solo.

I have never ever felt physically sick watching a film. Until this. Un fcuking believable except it’s all true and happened and was filmed.

Good recommendation Greg! Really enjoyed this - thought it was excellent and insane in equal measure. Like a lot of top athletes, he was a strange one and I’d love to know more about what drives him and his true feelings on it but got the impression he wasn’t particularly good at self analysis. 8/10.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Turntable @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 am

chinkypig wrote:

Forgiven though as everything leading up to it is wonderful and I’m always grateful to see new ambitious British horror.

I’ve loved Andy Nyman since Severance but I didn’t realise he was a writer/director too.

Agree completely Chinkypig (I think you should change your username btw. I hate to sound all lefty but it is actually inherently racist and undermines the fact you seem to be just a normal bloke)
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by chinkypig @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:13 am

Turntable wrote:
chinkypig wrote:

Agree completely Chinkypig (I think you should change your username btw. I hate to sound all lefty but it is actually inherently racist and undermines the fact you seem to be just a normal bloke)

It actually comes from my other half’s name for woodlice, (which I think she picked up as a child, the phrase and not the aforementioned insects) no idea of its origins in that respect though.
chinkypig

Post by Strawman @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 am

Chucky pigs is listed as an english dialect name for woodlice here

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50835/20-regional-names-woodlice
Last edited by Strawman on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Turntable @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am

chinkypig wrote:It actually comes from my other half’s name for woodlice, (which I think she picked up as a child, the phrase and not the aforementioned insects) no idea of its origins in that respect though.

I believe you, but none of us know your other half and without context it just says pakipig or niggerpig, if you get my drift.
You don't see it and think "Oh, that's a funny childs word for an insect, how cute", you think "Ooo, that's bad"
Turntable

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:53 am

Ah, Crunchy Bats.

I saw them before they went mainstream. Good Peel Session though.
CJ+

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:53 am

North Devon looks more likely strawms.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Turntable @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:57 am

Anyway, I watched a film on Netflix called Peppermint.
Cliched and rubbish sounding revenge thriller.
Bad drug gang kills woman's husband and child. Woman goes on the rampage. Same old.
Basically same storyline as John Wick but with a woman as the hardman

Actually really good though. If you leave your rolleyes at the door and watch it for what it is, it is excellent. Just a good fighty shooty revengy thriller with some surprisingly shocking and gory bits in it.
Everyone will like this.

At least 7/10
Turntable

Post by minimoog @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:North Devon looks more likely strawms.

That's still only chickypigs though.

Googling 'chinkypig' brings up almost nothing except except our member here and, er, Chinese people with or being called pigs.
Last edited by minimoog on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minimoog

Post by chinkypig @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:14 pm

I’ll just stop posting if you’d prefer and admin can just delete my account.
I don’t believe anyone objected to my username when I joined up so I’ll be on my way then.
chinkypig

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:15 pm

:rofl:
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:46 pm

chinkypig wrote:I’ll just stop posting if you’d prefer and admin can just delete my account.
I don’t believe anyone objected to my username when I joined up so I’ll be on my way then.

Just tell him (them..) to fcuk off, then continue as normal...
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:07 pm

chinkypig wrote:I’ll just stop posting if you’d prefer and admin can just delete my account.

But the main thing is that you haven't massively overreacted.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:16 pm

I've watched quite a few films recently, and expect to more as Sky seem to have given me Cinema for a few months. I'll try to remember to tell you about them when I have time, but one was The Ritual on Netflix, which was low-key excellent.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:32 pm

minimoog wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:North Devon looks more likely strawms.

That's still only chickypigs though.

Googling 'chinkypig' brings up almost nothing except except our member here and, er, Chinese people with or being called pigs.

IMG_5448.jpg
IMG_5448.jpg (235.97 KiB) Viewed 205 times

Yikes
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:44 pm

Depending partly on your settings, Google filters search results based on past web activity, which could explain how CTF is relatively high on that list for your search.
Strawman

Post by Dirk @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:49 pm

See CP, Dis liked your username so stay

Everyone knows that TT is just a bleeding hard liberal lefty who epitomises PC gone mad. I think
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:53 pm

I’ve just done the same search via a German proxy server and got the same results.

Not that it matters and whilst I can see where he’s coming from Teets does sound like an androgynous activist with blue hair.
thekungfury

Post by minimoog @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Relax Dis has got your back :hehe:

I'm not arsed about the name btw. I assumed it was some obscure reference to something I knew nothing about, and so it's proved.
minimoog

Post by Turntable @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Don't be ridiculous, you are welcome here and it was just a suggestion which you either say "Fair enough" and change your name or say "No way, Ill call myself whatever I want. I know what it means". I don't care either way, I was just remarking that it gave a bad impression of you
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:59 pm

Turntable wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, you are welcome here and it was just a suggestion which you either say "Fair enough" and change your name or say "No way, Ill call myself whatever I want. I know what it means". I don't care either way, I was just remarking that it gave a bad impression of you

I'm with TT on this one - it was with a sigh of relief that S1K changed his name also for similar reasons.

It just gives an unfair impression of the poster.
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:it was with a sigh of relief that S1K changed his name

Agreed.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Awkward!

Still, I did think it was a very funny name. But somehow I didn’t see it as racist. I just imagined a little Peppa Pig but Chinese, which I suppose *is* quite racist in the cold light of day. But also sort of cute and funny.

It’s ruined now of course.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Turntable wrote:

I'm with TT on this one - it was with a sigh of relief that S1K changed his name also for similar reasons.

It just gives an unfair impression of the poster.

Laugh. Like Tokes picture you mean?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club