What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by thekungfury @ Sun May 05, 2019 11:29 pm

Somebody else(s) needs to watch Snowpiercer so that we can talk about it. On NF and gets 7.1 on IMDb, 84% metacritic and 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

eta it’s a 2013 English-language South Korean-Czech science fiction action film based on the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige
Last edited by thekungfury on Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Sun May 05, 2019 11:50 pm

I watched it quite recently...was quite good istr?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon May 06, 2019 7:49 am

thekungfury wrote:it’s a 2013 English-language South Korean-Czech science fiction action film based on the French graphic novel

That's about as niche as they come surely?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 am

I watched Endgame on Saturday morning with my son. It's terrific.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I watched Endgame on Saturday morning with my son. It's terrific.

It's literally all you can see here with almost all cinemas showing multiple screenings of it. I want to see La Llorona and the only times it's showing is in the bloody morning or at midnight, ridic.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon May 06, 2019 9:05 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:
thekungfury wrote:it’s a 2013 English-language South Korean-Czech science fiction action film based on the French graphic novel

:D
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Mon May 06, 2019 11:25 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:

It’s as niche and bizarre as any film I’ve seen in a long time. Earth has frozen and killed off all life. The only people to survive are on a train with the rich at the front and the poor at the back. The poor decide to revolt and begin making their way through the train carriages with some brutal fight scenes including this highlight.

I honestly can’t decide if I really liked it or really loathed it. Genuinely torn.

I think Datho would enjoy it.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 06, 2019 11:28 am

I think so too and intend to watch it soon.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 pm

I liked it and thought it was a bit like a better Hunger Games.

Datho would enjoy it.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by CJ+ @ Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 pm

The Wandering Earth. Chinese sci-fi film. Basic premise is that the sun has gone wonky and is expanding, so loads of giant engines are built to drive Earth to Alpha Centauri, using a gravity assist round Jupiter.

Mildly ridiculous, but if you could enjoy something like Pacific Rim without going "that's obviously ridiculous and stupid and I can no longer watch this film", then you might enjoy this.

I quite liked it. 7/10.
CJ+

Post by Greg66 @ Mon May 06, 2019 7:32 pm

CJ+ wrote:The Wandering Earth. Chinese sci-fi film. Basic premise is that the sun has gone wonky and is expanding, so loads of giant engines are built to drive Earth to Alpha Centauri, using a gravity assist round Jupiter.

Mildly ridiculous, but if you could enjoy something like Pacific Rim without going "that's obviously ridiculous and stupid and I can no longer watch this film", then you might enjoy this.

I quite liked it. 7/10.

I am prepared to suspend disbelief a lot, but that sounds testicular.
Greg66

Post by CJ+ @ Mon May 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Greg66 wrote:
CJ+ wrote:The Wandering Earth. Chinese sci-fi film. Basic premise is that the sun has gone wonky and is expanding, so loads of giant engines are built to drive Earth to Alpha Centauri, using a gravity assist round Jupiter.

I quite liked it. 7/10.

I am prepared to suspend disbelief a lot, but that sounds testicular.

It seems that another film would be better for you.
CJ+

Post by CJ+ @ Mon May 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I think so too and intend to watch it soon.

Watching it right now. Am enjoying thus far.
CJ+

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon May 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Robin Hood, the one with that tw@t Taron Egerton. It was generally dogshit but what I did like was the scene near the start where they were fighting in a town in ‘Arabia’. It was shot like a modern war film but with bows and arrows and swords. A sweet spot in an otherwise dire film.

Side note, Bono’s daughter plays Marian.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun May 19, 2019 9:11 am

I just watched Victor Crowley, the belated surprise fourquel to Hatchet. Hatchet was a retro-styled super-gory slasher horror about a hulking deformed swamp-dweller (the eponymous Victor)chopping up hapless police/tourists/innocents/wev with a variety of powered and unpowered handtools. So was Hatchet II. And Hatchet III. And so is Victor Crowley.

They have quite a gleeful sense of humour, as well as cheerfully acknowledging that their own raison d'etre is to showcase preposterous gore. So in this instance were are treated to the experience of a man killed by axe-scalping so that the severed top of his head smothers the face of his drowning wife and his entire brain falls neatly out of his collapsing corpse onto the floor, a man beheaded with a claw hammer, and a woman impaled up the fanjita by her own severed arm so that the hand pops out of her mouth. An actual hoot.

Also, Alien Covenant. A terrible mess, part-excusing the awful nonsense of Prometheus by being not-quite-as-awful but still absolute nonsense. Like a highlights package of Alien kills, it Game-Of-Thrones-ed its way through everything at a phenomenal rate barely leaving time for me to go "wait, what?", before serving up a shocking "twist" ending so blaters obv that it made me want to kick Ridley Scott in the shins for being such a buffoon. It looked really good though.

Mom and Dad, with Nicolas Cage (of course) and the wonderful Selma Blair as a couple overcome by the bizarre mental affliction sweeping the country that causes parents to violently murder their own children. It was made by one half of the pair of co-creators of the Crank films (utter genius), and as such is about exactly one half as mental as those. Which is still off the charts mental. Ideal for Nicolas Cage, but an actual treat to see Blair nuts-ing her socks off. At only around 80 minutes, a concentrated plop of brilliant daft fun that never got close to overstaying its welcome on my telly.

John Wick 2 - in preparation for Parabellum in the next few days. If I hadn't seen John Wick, this would have been incredible, but I have so it was just pretty good. I enjoyed the epic fight on the subway, but the strongest effect of that was to remind me of the subway fight in The Raid 2, which made me want to watch The Raid 2, which then made me want to watch The Night Comes For Us, which is of course The Greatest Film Of All Time Apart From D.O.A. Dead Or Alive, instead. Nice that it follows directly on from the first John Wick though, and appears that Parabellum carries immediately on from this. Ruby Rose utterly wasted, sadly.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 am

Oh, and Kingsman - The Golden Circle, which I'd forgotten I just watched. Which says as much as I need to about it. Other than it endlessly surprised me that it had been made by presumably actual grown ups who thought a close up POV fingering sequence was a good idea, or having Elton John in a "hilarious" cameo that agonisingly extended into a teeth-pullingly unfunny extended actual role in the story as himself. Matthew Vaughn certainly puts the money on screen however, I'll give him that.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sun May 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:a close up POV fingering sequence.

Excuse me?
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun May 19, 2019 1:19 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:a close up POV fingering sequence.

Excuse me?
[yt]http://youtu.be/N4E8LEsDhos[/yt]
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Sun May 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:John Wick 2 - in preparation for Parabellum in the next few days. If I hadn't seen John Wick, this would have been incredible, but I have so it was just pretty good. I enjoyed the epic fight on the subway, but the strongest effect of that was to remind me of the subway fight in The Raid 2, which made me want to watch The Raid 2, which then made me want to watch The Night Comes For Us, which is of course The Greatest Film Of All Time Apart From D.O.A. Dead Or Alive, instead. Nice that it follows directly on from the first John Wick though, and appears that Parabellum carries immediately on from this. Ruby Rose utterly wasted, sadly.

Me too last night. Well, at least there is a story amongst all the death. The missus wanted to watch this before #3 in the cinema. I did nod off for 10 minutes but felt I'd not missed anything serious with regard to the plot!

Incidentally. I cycled past your house (probably) on a charity ride this morning. I'd like to know just why the hell you weren't out on the pavement cheering me on!!
Monty

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun May 19, 2019 4:13 pm

I probably cursed you, bunging up the traffic with your benumbered bicycles!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Fri May 24, 2019 8:53 am

I know it's been mentioned but I watched Free Solo last night.

Unimpressed. Not with what he did but the film of the actual climb. Seemed it was all over in about 5 mins.
Oh and his GF was a bloody pain. "Ooh I like this weird climber person but I don't like him doing dangerous climbs"
FFS luv, you knew the score when you met him so just stfu!

3/10
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri May 24, 2019 11:32 am

Il Duce wrote:I know it's been mentioned but I watched Free Solo last night.

3/10

I thought for a minute that this was some sort of Return of the Jedi spin-off about Han's imprisonment by Jabba the Hut.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Il Duce wrote:I know it's been mentioned but I watched Free Solo last night.

3/10

I thought for a minute that this was some sort of Return of the Jedi spin-off about Han's imprisonment by Jabba the Hut.

Despite having seen the film I briefly thought the same thing
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by thekungfury @ Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Han played by an orca
thekungfury

Post by Greg66 @ Sat May 25, 2019 5:12 pm

thekungfury wrote:Somebody else(s) needs to watch Snowpiercer so that we can talk about it. On NF and gets 7.1 on IMDb, 84% metacritic and 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

eta it’s a 2013 English-language South Korean-Czech science fiction action film based on the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige

I watched this in the week.

I didn’t understand why Captain America, old Doctor Who and Billy Elliot were fighting that man from Westworld. Or how the railway track became covered by ice from time to time but not snow. Or where anyone on the posh bit of the train lived (see any living quarters?).

All in all I found it puzzling on many levels.
Greg66

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat May 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Secret life of pets 2 with the kids. Brilliant, funny family fun and the Everyman cinema experience of watching it on a really comfy sofa with a beer and table service helped.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Sat May 25, 2019 10:00 pm

IMDb has a thing where it advises parents if a film is appropriate for kids. Check out this filth in Thor

thekungfury

Post by S1K @ Sat May 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Isn’t the skin above the buttocks the lower back?
S1K

Post by Greg66 @ Sat May 25, 2019 10:55 pm

“Rock hard nips”?

Someone has studied that scene far longer than necessary to write a review.
Greg66

Post by Greg66 @ Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 am

Mission Impossible Fallout. Saw this when it was originally released and loved it. Real edge of the seat stuff.

Watched it at home on TV and bugger me if it wasn’t just as bloody edge of the seat second time around! Awesomely awesome.
Greg66

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club