What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 27, 2019 9:06 pm

John Wick 3. Just ace. I did many actuallols at the extreme levels of violence on gleeful display. My mate The Nurse even turned to me at one point and asked "was this a 15 or an 18?", because it's that violent.

I hugely enjoyed it. Much more of an emphasis on hand to hand (knife to knife, axe to axe, etc to etc) than the simple gunplay of the earlier films, and utterly, endlessly brutal. Thai-esque in its determination to show every arduous agonising move and moment.

INSANELY violent, and hilariously good.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon May 27, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by foo @ Mon May 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Last night I watched Avengement. I've liked Scott Adkins ever since he played Boyka in the various films that character was in. Really enjoyed it, similar in atmosphere to Accident Man but a different premise. Quite violent obviously, but nicely put together I thought. It's not a martial arts film, which is what Adkins does, but I'd recommend it if you like that sort of thing.
foo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 27, 2019 10:18 pm

I've only seen one of the Boyka films, I think it was 4 - Undisputed. But it was pretty good.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by foo @ Mon May 27, 2019 10:30 pm

I like all of the Undisputed films, Michael Jai White is good too.
foo

Post by S1K @ Tue May 28, 2019 1:31 am

Is there really a film called Accident Man? It sounds what the Chinese would rename Mr Bean.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 28, 2019 7:55 am

Oh, I need to tell you about Furie and Upgrade too. Later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Tue May 28, 2019 8:22 am

Red Con 1.

Zombies. British. Shit. No stars. Don't watch it.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by foo @ Tue May 28, 2019 6:21 pm

S1K wrote:Is there really a film called Accident Man? It sounds what the Chinese would rename Mr Bean.

Yep, it's also quite violent :)
foo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh, I need to tell you about Furie and Upgrade too. Later.

Right: Furie is fine. It's a Vietnamese fighting action violent thriller, but it doesn't hold a candle to any of the really exciting fighting action violent thrillers coming out of South Korea and Indonesia lately. Films like The Villainess or The Night Comes for Us (which is of course The Greatest Film Of All Time Apart From D.O.A. Dead Or Alive) are just way way better at this kind of stuff - to the extent that Furie is utterly redundant. It isn't boring or bad, it just isn't remarkable. And when there's so very much remarkable stuff kicking about, that's just not enough.

btw, I was going to link to YouTube a representative scene from The Night Comes For Us here, but as I quickly scanned down the list of results it became clear that all of the scenes are worth linking, ie worth watching. So never mind. Just watch it, alright? It's even on Netflix. And is, after all, The Greatest Film Of All Time Apart From D.O.A. Dead Or Alive.

Upgrade is a batty science fiction film about some bloke who gets quadriplegia after a car crash and then gets a 'sperimental secret computer chip put in his spine to de-disable him. But the chip does more than let him walk about a bit, so he sets off to avenge the murder of his wife. It's really quite fun, up to a certain point when it becomes really stupid. Luckily that certain point comes quite late on in the film, so you've got quite a lot to enjoy. I would describe it as brutally violent if I hadn't just watched John Wick 3 last night. Because JW3 takes the rule book for Brutal Violence (hardback original edition) and kicks it against the throat of a goon while simultaneously throwing some knives into a crim's eyes. Upgrade's worth a punt though, if your brutal violence yardstick is a bit on the shorter side.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:11 pm

Peelers. To many of you this might sound self-evidently obvious, but sadly this comedy horror about wise-cracking strippers besieged in a titty bar by voracious slime-infected zombies is terrible.

Not terrible enough to be a masterpiece, not terrible enough to be enjoyable in spite of itself. But terrible enough for me to see what they were aiming for and how widely they'd missed the mark, and for me to feel embarrassed for the performers gamely whapping their wonky tits about and throwing faux-badass shapes armed with bottles and baseball bats, and for me to feel a bit cross with myself that I watched it all the way through with a creeping, growing feeling of yawning dismay.

It's rated 18, but I couldn't really see why. Lots of boobs, but I couldn't see any really notable fanjita detail. Some blood and gore, but it was mostly slime and aftermath. Only one worthwhile disemboweling, and a half-decent double tit impalement.

A huge missed opportunity really.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:27 pm

Big smile

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t go full on gore with a film like that. Their target audience can only be disappointed and nobody outside that tiny niche group will ever watch it.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:16 pm

Completely.

When you know massive gore can be done on a shoestring (Gutterballs, Chromeskull, Adam Chaplin, etcs), just do the massive gore. No one's going to like your stupid film any less because of it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 pm

These are some films I've seen recently that I need to tell you about:

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters
Brawl In Cell Block 99
Blood Father
Fast & Furious 8
Hellboy (reboot)

but I haven't got time at the moment so I'm putting this here to remind me to later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Peelers. To many of you this might sound self-evidently obvious, but sadly this comedy horror about wise-cracking strippers besieged in a titty bar by voracious slime-infected zombies is terrible.

Not terrible enough to be a masterpiece, not terrible enough to be enjoyable in spite of itself. But terrible enough for me to see what they were aiming for and how widely they'd missed the mark, and for me to feel embarrassed for the performers gamely whapping their wonky tits about and throwing faux-badass shapes armed with bottles and baseball bats, and for me to feel a bit cross with myself that I watched it all the way through with a creeping, growing feeling of yawning dismay.

It's rated 18, but I couldn't really see why. Lots of boobs, but I couldn't see any really notable fanjita detail. Some blood and gore, but it was mostly slime and aftermath. Only one worthwhile disemboweling, and a half-decent double tit impalement.

A huge missed opportunity really.

Watched this. Well, sort of. Skipped a chunk in the middle. Terrible, terrible film.
CJ+

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:These are some films I've seen recently that I need to tell you about:

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters
Brawl In Cell Block 99
Blood Father
Fast & Furious 8
Hellboy (reboot)

but I haven't got time at the moment so I'm putting this here to remind me to later.

Bloody hell, what a terrible set, DaTo!
They are the sort of films that you'd end up with when you got to the video rental shop 5 mins before they closed on a Saturday night.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:18 pm

At least one of those is excellent in fact!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:48 am

Three more to add to the reviews pending list:

Paradox
The Perfection*
Friday 13th part VII (yes really)

*this is terrific! A rug-pulling semi-horror that reminded me very much of Martyrs, in that just when you think you know where it's going it goes somewhere very else.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:16 am

And Venom, as well. Which feels like an extended trailer for itself as it clips nonsensically along in a whirl and then suddenly is over. You've got to wonder what they promised Tom Hardy though.

Not as stupid as the new Hellboy, but not far off.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:26 pm

I saw Venom at the cinema and angrily loathed its stupidity. Watched it begrudgingly with my wife at the weekend and didn’t hate it. I think the lowered expectations helped.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:32 am

It. Which was genuinely ace and captured a real Stephen King-ness; of childhood friends threatened by the monstrous clown Pennywise.

Great performances from the young cast, especially the two semi-romantic leads, and especially especially the girl who grows up to be Jessica Chastain in part 2.

Truly creepy and atmospheric - much more than I would have expected from the 15 rating. But much less brutal and grisly than its opening few minutes might suggest. Packed with quality shocks and scares too, although I suspect I might have infuriated Mrs Thorn by predicting them; "jump scare coming, my love".

That said, one time I didn't and she jumped so much she actually shouted out "argh!" A ringing endorsement, I think.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Aliens, which i haven’t seen for a few years. Stands up really well, though some of the effects (anything that involves flying aircraft and flames) look a lot like they were done with models. That sort of thing has come on a lot.
Greg66

Post by NNK @ Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:53 am

The Hitmans Bodyguard - which you probably all discussed 50 pages ago but I've been ……..busy.
Better than I expected, it kept me entertained throughout .
NNK

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:55 am

Pacific Rim Uprising. The least essential sequel I can think of. Wafer thin everything but solid CGI effects. And much more fun kaiju-smashing than Godzilla: KOTM.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Pacific Rim Uprising. The least essential sequel I can think of. Wafer thin everything but solid CGI effects. And much more fun kaiju-smashing than Godzilla: KOTM.

Surely the name out to have been Pacific Minor Prolapse.

(The first of those was utter garbage. You must have terrible self esteem issues to subject yourself to a sequel Datho. Are you self harming?

I didn't think it was that bad, TBH. Seen worse).
Greg66

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:36 am

We took the children to see the new Lion King yesterday, mostly because we'd got free tickets from Mrs Thorn eating sweets.

I had no real desire to watch it but thought it would be fun if all the troops did something together, so went. The first few minutes were utterly jarring due to the visuals - literally photorealistic everything - but then it's just the Lion King again, with me marvelling at how it looks from time to time. Actually, it's not just the Lion King again, it feels somehow milder than I remember. I've only seen the story twice before, once was the original animation at the cinema, the other was the live stage show with head puppets, but I seem to remember it being darker and more frightening at times than this version was. Dunno.

Anyway. It's the Lion King, so if you like that you'll like this. But visually it bridges the uncanny valley with effort to spare. If you saw a clip which didn't have any singing or dancing in it, you wouldn't be a fool to expect David Attenborough to pipe up.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:37 am

I've seen a bunch of other films lately too that I haven't told you about. Let me see if I can remember them, and I will later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:56 am

Girls With Balls. French volleyball team meets a bunch of hillbillies. Murder ensues.

Hmm. 5.5/10. Was mildly entertaining.

Doomsday. Rhona Mitra and Bob Hoskins. Scottish Mad Max, basically.

Enjoyed it more than I thought I should. 6/10.
CJ+

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:02 am

We sat down as a family on Saturday night (rare to get a 12 and 13 year old in the same room nowadays) and watched Coco, the animation about a boy who likes music but his family didn't.

All four of us enjoyed it, nice story line and visuals were so creative. Dusty room at times, well worth a watch.
dirtyboy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:25 am

Over there last few days, films I've remembered now are:

I Am Mother
MI: Fallout (x several)
Climax
No One Lives (again)

And I've just remembered Thornfest '19 starts tomorrow!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Oh, Overlord as well. That was ace.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club