What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am

>breezes in<

Good work there Damo!

>gives Damo a hearty slap on the bottom<

>breezes out<
Deuteronomy

Post by span @ Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:33 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:P.l.u.s. o.n.e.

This is going to sound patronising and I genuinely don’t intend it to be, but that was a perfect and enlightening explanation for something I’ve occasionally wondered too. I’ve always enjoyed your writing, Damo.

Yes, exactly this.
span

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 pm

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw.

Utterly fcuking ludicrous. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way. I'll not give it a rating I don't think but overall I switched my brain off and enjoyed most of it. Even in spite of Idris Elba who I dislike immensely.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:09 pm

I absolutely cannot wait to see H&S.

I like The Rock. I like The Stath. I like Elba. I like Vanessa Kirby. I like stupid action.

I can't see how they haven't just made the film for me, frankly.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:50 pm

Pet Semetary.

I’ve read very little Stephen King and I’ve never seen the original of this. The trailer made it look quite jumpy and unnerving and Mr C (who has seen the original) said it was scary so we thought we’d give it a go.

Honestly, don’t bother.

I actually fell asleep during it, which I can’t ever remember happening while watching a film before, and woke myself up with a bit of a snore a few minutes later. Look, I’m not very well, ok? But anyway, it wasn’t scary, jumpy or unnerving and at the end I just thought wtf, is that it? It’s just stupid, tedious and made me wish I’d gone to bed early with a good book. And not a Stephen King one.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:55 pm

I’ve read a fair bit of Stephen King over the years and always finished a book thinking why did I bother.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:57 pm

Once Upon A Time...in Hollywood.

I loved it. Absolutely loved it. Didn’t feel like Tarantino by numbers and the pacing was superb. Beautifully shot (obvs) and brilliantly cast. DiCaprio has turned into such a good and funny actor...his comic timing is spot on here and he manages to marry it to some genuinely compelling dramatic stuff too.

Loved it.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by foo @ Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:57 am

Last night, after working remotely until 2am (like today), I watched The Mule with Clint Eastwood.

He is old now. I really enjoyed it. Old grandpa gets involved with a Mexican drug cartel to raise some money for the family he was estranged from because he spent his working life on the road away from, and providing for, said family, so grandpa gets back on the road carrying hundreds of kilos of cocaine, initially inadvertently.

No violence, just a nice story, the ending was calm and an anti-climax, but I still thought it was worth my time.
foo

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am

Last night, I watched Lucy with that Scarlett Johansson in it.

Enjoyed it lots. It's fairly silly, but I just rolled with it. When the credits scrolled and I saw that it was directed by Luc Besson, I was all "oh yeah, that actually makes total sense now :D"
Last edited by CJ+ on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:25 am

I am Mother - thanks for not spoiling it with a synopsis DT. Enjoyed it even though you kinda of knew where it was going, you weren't entirely sure what path it would take to get there.

The Perfection, went in knowing nothing and thought it was very good,
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • up until the boxing Helena bit where it got a bit carried away with itself
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:30 am

Two at the weekend: The Meg (a hoot) and Into The Spiderverse (ace). I'll say more about them when I've got a bit of time.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:44 am

I watched Adjustment Bureau last night. I like original ideas, even if nothing new actually happened in the film.

Boy meets girl, boy can’t be with girl, boy says sod it and goes to the girl but they break up again and right before she marries someone else he goes to her again. It’s a romcom BUT the idea of the Adjusters was original enough to hold my attention.

6?
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:19 pm

thekungfury wrote:I watched Adjustment Bureau last night. I like original ideas, even if nothing new actually happened in the film.

Boy meets girl, boy can’t be with girl, boy says sod it and goes to the girl but they break up again and right before she marries someone else he goes to her again. It’s a romcom BUT the idea of the Adjusters was original enough to hold my attention.

6?

Sliding Doors meets The Matrix, sort off. Quite enjoyable.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by foo @ Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:07 pm

Just put it on, ta.
foo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:48 pm

Avengers Endgame.

I didn't get to watch this at the cinema when it was first on for reasons (though Mr C did) and also missed the subsequent two week run to boost the viewing figures, also for reasons. I still don't quite know how I managed it, but it hasn't been spoilered for me either so until tonight I had genuinely no idea what was going to happen.

I'm very much a dilettante in the Marvel/DC world. Much as I have enjoyed the Avengers films and a few of the solo ones (Iron Man, Thor), I had zero interest in a lot of them so I don't know the in-jokes about Captain America in a lift. In fact, Captain America comes across as an insufferable goody-goody generally, but whatever.

AE was a huge amount of fun. Of course it was utterly stupid and OTT but it was always going to be. With a three hour running time, I did wonder if I'd get bored but I didn't and I did have a little cry at points. I won't share them because I might not be the only person who didn't know how it ends.
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 am

I watched Sinister last night.

The ending got telegraphed about two-thirds of the way through, but still, an enjoyable - if somewhat formulaic - film.

It's too long, though. That's a complaint I have about a lot of films, though. I think that there aren't that many films that successfully maintain momentum and/or interest for two hours or more.
CJ+

Post by stuart @ Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 pm

The pet semetary remake.

It's great and I found it quite creepy. I like that we are now getting quality adaptations of Stephen King books. Dark tower aside.

Now if someone would make a good film of the stand! Or the vampire one I can't remember the name of now!
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:42 am

I watched The Happytime Murders (tl;dr: The Muppets meets Chinatown, with shades of Team America: World Police) last night.

I enjoyed it far more than I should have. It gets mediocre reviews, and yet I roffled out loud on occasion. It's refreshingly short, too - just 90 minutes.

If you don't like Melissa McCarthy and/or Team America: World Police, this is unlikely to appeal. I like both, so.
CJ+

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:56 am

stuart wrote:Now if someone would make a good film of the stand! Or the vampire one I can't remember the name of now!

Only if they based it on the unabridged version, but then it'd be reeaally long!
HappyGoLucky

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:04 am

The first half of The Stand is an amazing book. The second half is King realising he's written himself into a place he can't write himself out of, and it's awful.
CJ+

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:07 am

CJ+ wrote:The first half of The Stand is an amazing book. The second half is King realising he's written himself into a place he can't write himself out of, and it's awful.

Pretty much every Steven King story then.

"and it turned into a big insect so we killed it with fire". THE END.
ttwiggy

Post by stuart @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:16 am

Twiggy wrote:"and it turned into a big insect so we killed it with fire". THE END.

Spoiler alert FFS!
stuart

Post by GingerNinja @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
CJ+ wrote:The first half of The Stand is an amazing book. The second half is King realising he's written himself into a place he can't write himself out of, and it's awful.

Well, apart from Misery, Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, The Green Mile, The Mist, Gerald’s Game, Dolores Clairborne.
GingerNinja

Post by S1K @ Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:

Well, apart from Misery, Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, The Green Mile, The Mist, Gerald’s Game, Dolores Clairborne.

It would have been a great twist in The Shawshank Redemption
S1K

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:56 am

Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night. Cor! Excellent fillum, that. I really got into it, and enjoyed all the performances - esp. Robin Wright as the boss lady. It was about a half hour too long, though.

The visuals were just incredible. And the bit where Rachael came in - well clever!

I also liked how the LAPD flying police cars are Peugeots :D
CJ+

Post by stuart @ Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:35 pm

CJ+ wrote:Watched Blade Runner 2049 last night. Cor! Excellent fillum, that. I really got into it, and enjoyed all the performances - esp. Robin Wright as the boss lady. It was about a half hour too long, though.

The visuals were just incredible. And the bit where Rachael came in - well clever!

I also liked how the LAPD flying police cars are Peugeots :D

I saw that on Netflix, then I saw that it was almost 3 hours long!!!

WTF.

That is obnoxiously long. Not sure I've got the patience to watch a near 3 hour film nowadays, it had better be worth it.

CJ+ wrote:Cor! Excellent fillum

If I do watch it, and it ends up being shit, then I've wasted 3 hours. CJ, I will be furious at you! It will be entirely your fault.
stuart

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 pm

I watched it at the cinema and in spite of the length it flies by. It's terrific.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:21 pm

Do you need to have seen the first Bladerunner in order to follow this one?
Bodhi

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Bodhi wrote:Do you need to have seen the first Bladerunner in order to follow this one?

It helps, but it is not essential.

There are also some short (~15 min) films on YouTube that serve as mini prequels.
CJ+

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:23 am

Jacobs ladder reboot. Don't bother it's shite.

Annabelle comes home, lots of opportunities to make MrsH scarejump so gets a 9/10 from me.
HappyGoLucky

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club