What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:22 am

I meant to tell you about Suspiria, which I watched recently. But I need to write more than just a good/bad, so will when I've got time.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 am

stuart wrote:Donnie Darko.

Watched that again recently for the first time in many years. Still stands up today as a brilliant film.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by span @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:51 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
stuart wrote:Sacrilege

How dare you!

I typed out (on my phone which takes me twice as long so is only for emergencies) a long and earnest reply to stuart this morning, with research on the actors' ages compared to other age differences in film, and some personal observations, but which I finally deleted because I realised how furious I obviously sounded (AND WAS!!!).
span

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Go and watch Leon Stuart.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minornut @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:23 pm

stuart wrote:Sacrilege

How dare you!

Stockholm syndrome.

Poor Clown #sadface
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Go and watch Leon Stuart.

25yrs old!

The film is a masterpiece but it's uneasy watching it now knowing that the director was in a relationship with a 15yr old at the time who gave birth to their first child at 16.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:17 pm

thekungfury wrote:

25yrs old!

The film is a masterpiece but it's uneasy watching it now knowing that the director was in a relationship with a 15yr old at the time who gave birth to their first child at 16.
WTaF! Really? I had no idea. Although I've heard some of the recent Besson metoos.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Bloody hell, I didn't know that either!
span

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:07 pm

thekungfury wrote:

25yrs old!

France's age of consent is 15. He would have been about 30 at the time.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:08 am

stuart wrote:WTF. Ok, they are on stage dancing at the end, and he's dancing with what is basically his child bride, and now the Motherfcuker has a conga line going.

It's like, well, he can move his feet well, so let's just give him a child to have his way with.

Loving the reviews Stuart, totally the opposite of DaThos thoughtful insights into the mind of the director and such but equally compelling for completely different reasons.

I think we should have a challenge whereby we choose a film we think you'll enjoy and then you can give us the review.

And your first film is...
Last edited by HappyGoLucky on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by GingerNinja @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:35 am

I'd like to see his review of The Usual Suspects. It can't be just me that thinks it's massively overrated with a fury-inducing ending.
I'
GingerNinja

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:55 am

And written and directed by someone else with a penchant for teenagers.
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:40 am

Käsemeister wrote:And written and directed by someone else with a penchant for teenagers.

And starring.

It’s a weird one and I can’t properly resolve my feelings on the subject: is it OK to continue to enjoy films/music made by/starring people who later turn out to be real life wrong ‘uns?

Kevin Spacey, Michael Jackson, Louis CK etc.
Last edited by thekungfury on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Post by span @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:52 am

thekungfury wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:And written and directed by someone else with a penchant for teenagers.

And starring.

It’s a weird one and I can’t properly resolve my feelings on the subject: is it OK to continue to enjoy films/music made by/starring people who later turn out to be real life wrong ‘uns?

Kevin Spacey, Michael Jackson, Louis CK etc.

I find that interesting. I feel like in principle it's fine, but in practise depends on different factors.

I've felt most conflicted about Louis CK because I loved him, but his 'revelations' have kind of undermined his comedy, so that's a shame. If it was a musician who did what he's done, I imagine I could still enjoy his music.

I haven't seen the MJ documentary but have heard a podcast where they were discussing it, and while on principle I have no problem with people listening to his music, his wrongdoings are horrifying enough that I've no interest in listening to his music now. Even hearing his name makes me feel a bit sad for a while.

S'interesting!
span

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:25 am

My reaction arbitrarily depends on how much I enjoy their work vs the severity of their crime.

Chris Brown beats up women and makes shit music. Cancel him.
Louis CK wanked on a pot plant but does funny stand up. Keep laughing and ignore/forgive what he did.

For MJ I hate him right up until I hear the first few bars of Billie Jean. “But he fcuked children!” you yell. I nod sadly, moonwalking.
thekungfury

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 am

thekungfury wrote:My reaction arbitrarily depends on how much I enjoy their work vs the severity of their crime.

I'm not even sure this is the case for me. While never a big fan of Lost Prophets, there were two songs I particularly liked and I still have them and listen to them on my iProducts. This dilemma about enjoying the past work of a wrong 'un recently came up between me and some friends and they were genuinely surprised that I hadn't immediately deleted the two LP songs when Watkins was arrested.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:35 am

thekungfury wrote:“But he fcuked children!” you yell. I nod sadly, moonwalking.

:laugh:

thekungfury wrote:Louis CK wanked on a pot plant but does funny stand up. Keep laughing and ignore/forgive what he did.

That was Harvey W!! Louis CK wanked AT people.

I agree it's not the worst of the crimes, and his 'art' was my favourite of all those people. But it worked because of his persona, and so I would still watch his stuff but it just doesn't work anymore. (Especially since now he seems to have gone full baddie.)
span

Post by Dirk @ Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Problem is that if you exclude great cultural works because of anything they have done wrong then an awful lot won't be available.

To pick a few at random

Carravggio and committing murder (inter alia)
Any film by Polanski
Woody Allen may be in that list (though never convicted)
Oscar Wilde (not for his homosexuality, but abuse of rent boys which was less a concern than homosexuality then)
Gary Glitter
Phil Spector
Courtney Love (killing pets and bashing a journalist's head open)
Nolde and his support for Hitler

The lists is I fear a very long one

These artists & musicians seem a dodgy bunch. Best keep an eye on them

<looks pointedly at the musos corner>
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Turntable @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:55 pm

thekungfury wrote:.

For MJ I hate him right up until I hear the first few bars of Billie Jean. “But he fcuked children!” you yell. I nod sadly, moonwalking.

:rofl:
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:48 pm

thekungfury wrote:My reaction arbitrarily depends on how much I enjoy their work vs the severity of their crime.

I'm not even sure this is the case for me. While never a big fan of Lost Prophets, there were two songs I particularly liked and I still have them and listen to them on my iProducts. This dilemma about enjoying the past work of a wrong 'un recently came up between me and some friends and they were genuinely surprised that I hadn't immediately deleted the two LP songs when Watkins was arrested.

Agreed Clown. I still remember the horrified looks around the rehearsal room when I started smashing out the first few bars of Town Called Hypocrisy just after he’d been convicted. Belter of a tune!

I honestly don’t connect the person with their art really. Most brilliant creatives are cnuts anyway so if you could only like stuff by nice people you’d be snookered. Plus every single male in the entertainment industry is either a convicted wrong ‘un, an accused wrong ‘un, or an as-yet I discovered wrong ‘un. A schrodinger’s wrong ‘un, in a sense.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:08 pm

X-Men dark Phoenix.

Snore.
Käsemeister

Post by Turntable @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:11 am

Anyone watched joker yet?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:16 pm

We were going to watch Joker this evening but got talked into Ad Astra instead.

Hated it. Self indulgent, slow and just plain dull. They captured the emptiness and solitude of space extremely well and the visuals were terrific. But there were far too many holes (scientific and plot) and Brad was dull.

And there was A LOT of Brad. It’s a 2hr film that feels like 3 and 90% of the film is just him. I’m a big Pitt fan and rate him as one the best actors of this generation but Ad Astra was a big miss. It smacks of him desperately wanting an Oscar. Part of me hopes he gets it so that he scratches that itch and goes back to being Tyler Durden.
thekungfury

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:56 am

The name Ad Astra reminded me of the pizza so I looked it up to see what it actually meant.

Chicken to the stars.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:36 am

I watched Night Of The Comet. Turns out I don't actually like "so bad it's good" films nearly as much as I thought I did. Turned it off after 20 mins.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:07 pm

I watched NOTC actual decades ago in about 1985 and thought it was great. But at that time I was well into Catherine Mary Stewart and thought girls with big hair firing Uzis was good.

I feel a bit sorry that it hasn't lasted.

Being all disabled at home I'm trying to watch a few films, but because I'm forced to do it rather than choosing to, I'm struggling to actually cares about too much.

I started Tales Of Halloween, but only got about 45 minutes in before I surrendered to apathy and turned it off. Ten short linked Halloween stories portmanteaued into one film, but not clever enough, funny enough, mean enough, gory enough, violent enough or anything enough really.

Now I'm watching Jeruzalem, which I hoped would be a little reminiscent of As Above So Below, with a clever found footage conceit, some doomy ominating and some nasty moments. And it sort of is, but it's taking a while to find any momentum. So far it's a bit Rough Guide holiday video, but does feature Yael Grobglas, who is quite extraordinary.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:52 pm

CJ+ wrote:I watched Night Of The Comet. Turns out I don't actually like "so bad it's good" films nearly as much as I thought I did. Turned it off after 20 mins.

Is that the one where it’s two sisters and one survived because she was shagging some guy in the projection room of the local cinema and the other was stuck in a basement or something? And they have guns but they’re crap and the blonde one goes, ‘Daddy would have gotten us Uzis’?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Now I'm watching Jeruzalem, which I hoped would be a little reminiscent of As Above So Below, with a clever found footage conceit, some doomy ominating and some nasty moments. And it sort of is, but it's taking a while to find any momentum. So far it's a bit Rough Guide holiday video, but does feature Yael Grobglas, who is quite extraordinary.

It found its momentum. It turned into [REC].

And now Cloverfield.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 pm

CJ+ wrote:I watched Night Of The Comet. Turns out I don't actually like "so bad it's good" films nearly as much as I thought I did. Turned it off after 20 mins.

Is that the one where it’s two sisters and one survived because she was shagging some guy in the projection room of the local cinema and the other was stuck in a basement or something? And they have guns but they’re crap and the blonde one goes, ‘Daddy would have gotten us Uzis’?

Yes.
CJ+

Post by Monty @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm

I was dragged along to see Judy on Monday.
Not really my thing, but I knew little to none of her history. While this doesn't really go into much detail about that it's nevertheless reasonably interesting. It's set towards the very end of her career in London after she'd bombed out (I assume) in the States, and you watch a fairly uncomfortable continuation of this downward spiral.

Quite moving in places whilst equally being fairly depressing.

I will however have my revenge in the next few weeks...Terminator Dark Fate is out in two weeks, and I'm seeing it! Also what looks like a remake of the 70's film 'Midway' but that may be pushing the boundaries and the CGI looks pretty average anyway.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club