What was the last film you watched?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What was the last film you watched?

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:35 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Fury - Brad Pitt being a FCUKING HERO again.

Plenty of "Oof !" moments.

Decent enough, a 7 from me.

Love it but it's a 9 from me.

Watched American Graffiti yesterday and I loved it.
The cars, the music and Cindy Williams (Laurie).

Another 9.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Turntable @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:44 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Watched "Heat" last night on Film 4.

Pacino. De Niro. What more could you want?

I'd forgotten how good it was.

10/10

It really is superb, isn't it.

Its a reasonable film but 10/10? Are you sure?
Other than the scene with both of them in, I seem to remember it being just a bit monotonous and a bit of a weak vehicle with the sole purpose of showcasing those two.
Been a long time , though, its just it always stuck in my mind as one of the films I was most excited by and most underwhelmed by
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:48 am

Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

10/10

Other than the scene with both of them in, I seem to remember it being just a bit monotonous and a bit of a weak vehicle with the sole purpose of showcasing those two.
Been a long time , though, its just it always stuck in my mind as one of the films I was most excited by and most underwhelmed by

It also goes on faaaar too long. I remember watching it and thinking 'oh, this is the end then', only for another 45 minutes (at least) to hove into view.
ttwiggy

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:22 am

ttwiggy wrote:
Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

10/10

It also goes on faaaar too long. I remember watching it and thinking 'oh, this is the end then', only for another 45 minutes (at least) to hove into view.

So you've forgotten the gun fight as they go out of the bank? What else have you forgotten?
You've forgotten how good it was, that's what.

And it's too long? Your ADHDADHH or whatever is too blame for that.

That said I would like to drop it to a 9/10 as there are other films I love more that get 10/10.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:41 am

Il Duce wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:
Turntable wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

10/10

So you've forgotten the gun fight as they go out of the bank? What else have you forgotten?
You've forgotten how good it was, that's what.

And it's too long? Your ADHDADHH or whatever is too blame for that.

That said I would like to drop it to a 9/10 as there are other films I love more that get 10/10.

I've only seen it once, and it was some time ago. I remember it being entertaining and a solid 7 or even 8 out of ten. I do remember the gunfight and I recall that it was great. I still think (from memory) that there's a bit where the film sort-of-means-to-end, but then it doesn't, and feels stretched out as a result.

Art, in being subjective shocker.
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:14 pm

What's going on here!? Heat is fine but by no means excellent. The gun fight outside the bank is literally the only stand out, at the cinema that was breathtaking. But the rest, while solid, is actor's masterclass drama and edges towards full after several hours.

Also, and this is important: no film can be a 10/10. That means it would be literally impossible for it to be improved in any way. Never gonna happen I'm afraid.

And certainly not with Heat.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:34 pm

Has anyone watched Bait? It looks The Worst to my untrained eye, but Kermode and crucially all the listeners of his programme seem to think it's amazing.
span

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 pm

span wrote:Has anyone watched Bait? It looks The Worst to my untrained eye, but Kermode and crucially all the listeners of his programme seem to think it's amazing.

It's on my list to see, but only becauseI keep hearing how amazing it is. I first saw it pop up on my Facebook feed, and without the sound on I thought in looked like a weird cross between a 'Fast Show' style comedy sketch and a 1920s film that was best left forgotten.
ttwiggy

Post by span @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:40 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
span wrote:Has anyone watched Bait? It looks The Worst to my untrained eye, but Kermode and crucially all the listeners of his programme seem to think it's amazing.

It's on my list to see, but only becauseI keep hearing how amazing it is. I first saw it pop up on my Facebook feed, and without the sound on I thought in looked like a weird cross between a 'Fast Show' style comedy sketch and a 1920s film that was best left forgotten.

With the sound on, the trailer is arguably worse. Or at least less 'accessible' to people like me. They filmed it with no sound I think, then recorded the dialogue afterwards and added it, so I found it all very baffling.
span

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:What's going on here!? Heat is fine but by no means excellent. The gun fight outside the bank is literally the only stand out, at the cinema that was breathtaking. But the rest, while solid, is actor's masterclass drama and edges towards full after several hours.

Also, and this is important: no film can be a 10/10. That means it would be literally impossible for it to be improved in any way. Never gonna happen I'm afraid.

And certainly not with Heat.

I've reduced it to 9 you blind fvcker.

But I disagree about your 10 comment. I have several 10/10 films in my dvd collection.
Amarcord.
La Vita e Bella.
to name two.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:44 pm

span wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:

With the sound on, the trailer is arguably worse. Or at least less 'accessible' to people like me. They filmed it with no sound I think, then recorded the dialogue afterwards and added it, so I found it all very baffling.

At a quick glance it looks like they are trying for a German expressionist vibe. I will probably give it a watch, but how far through it I make it is open to debate.
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:53 pm

I saw you reduced it, but that doesn't excuse the fawning madness on display. You have some excellent films there, clearly, but I bet even the film makers themselves would say they could have made the films slightly better if they'd had the time/money/wev.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Oh, btw. I can't find a trailer yet, but look out for the documentary Into The Deep coming on Netflix. Remember the bizarre story of the mad inventor who built his own submarine and then dismembered that our woman who went on board with him? It's a documentary about that, although it was supposed to just be a documentary about the inventor - he just went and chopped up that our lady while they were making it.

Mad.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I saw you reduced it, but that doesn't excuse the fawning madness on display. You have some excellent films there, clearly, but I bet even the film makers themselves would say they could have made the films slightly better if they'd had the time/money/wev.

But it's not about you, them, or anybody..... it's my bloody score.

<puts down 9 scorecard>
<punches Bruno Tonioli in the face>
<sips espresso>
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh, btw. I can't find a trailer yet, but look out for the documentary Into The Deep coming on Netflix. Remember the bizarre story of the mad inventor who built his own submarine and then dismembered that our woman who went on board with him? It's a documentary about that, although it was supposed to just be a documentary about the inventor - he just went and chopped up that our lady while they were making it.

Mad.

Fantastic. The producers must have been positively erect when it happened.

There’s a similar docu on NF about cycling and doping. It was going to be fairly ordinary and about an amateur doping to see if he could get away with it. They got some advice from a Russian bloke and that was going to be it. Then suddenly the Russian doping scandal hit and the bloke in question was the central figure in the scandal and it went off on a Duck ‘til Dawn tangent.

Staying
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Duck 'til Down, surely?
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 pm

V good
thekungfury

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:08 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:

I've said this for years!

At last someone agrees with me.
Bodhi

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Strawman @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 pm

A 10 can be a 9.6/9.7/9.8 rounded up, so small parts could be improved on, but nothing of note.
Strawman

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:35 pm

Strawman wrote: nothing of note.

I see.
Bodhi

Post by Turntable @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:03 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
span wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:

At a quick glance it looks like they are trying for a German expressionist vibe. I will probably give it a watch, but how far through it I make it is open to debate.

I went to watch this because the reviews were so good and then two things happened just before I pressed 'purchase'
One, I watched the trailer and everything about it seemed shit, and then two, I just opened one of the reviews (guardian) and it was so pretentious it made me a bit sick in my mouth and I knew I would hate it if the sort of cnut that wrote that review liked it.
Ha, just looked it up and it is your so-called Kermode who wrote it. Who is he? WHAT is he? A bellend, that's what.
Look at the picture accompanying the review, and then read the review which contains gems such as:

Bait finds the film-maker once again addressing pressing social issues with a profoundly poetic sensibility

creating a silent movie to which dialogue, music and sound effects were added later, splendidly concertinaing a century of cinema history. The effect is bizarrely brilliant, lending a dreamlike quality to the dialogue

It’s a disorienting effect that highlights a central theme of Bait: people speaking in the same tongue yet failing to understand one another.

While the post-synched speech has an alienating, Pinteresque theatricality, the rest of the soundtrack rises and falls like the tide, with Jenkin’s own synth drones weaving in and out of Daniel Thompson’s layered sound designs. At times I was reminded of beatboxer Jason Singh’s mesmerising live vocal accompaniment, which I saw in 2016, to John Grierson’s 1929 fishing documentary Drifters, an overwhelming experience that similarly bridged the gap between old silent film and modern immersive sound

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/s ... ng-village

Span, say sorry for mentioning that person on this website please.
Last edited by Turntable on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turntable

Post by Turntable @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:36 pm

Anyway, I had a surprise good film watch at the weekend.
I was having a 'boys night' with my son.
I proposed steak, booze and strippers and he rolled his eyes and tried to claim that being 11 prevents him wanting any of that.I told him that it was fine to be gay, and he could be whatever he wanted and we would love him just the same.
Anyway, he chose Yo Sushi and the Cinema. I don't love going to the cinema with him because I have low boredom thresholds for comic films or pokemon whatevers. And then he mentioned he really wanted to see something called
JoJo Rabbit which Id assumed was a cartoon or whatever about a Rabbit.

Anyway, I settled in and was met with quite a surprise. It was nothing like an animated Rabbit film. it was about a small German boy during the second world war who is an avid wannabe Nazi and Hitler Youth member who has Hitler as his imaginary friend. He also has parents in the resistance, unbeknownst to him, and discovers a Jew hiding in their attic.

That sounds fcuking shit right? Even worse than an animated rabbit film?
Except it is utterly brilliant. It has everything and your emotions swing wildly from sad, to traumatised, to happy, to sentimental, to laughing, and back to sad again. My son laughed loads and then the next moment was watching it with tears streaming down his face and not caring.
We both loved it. He said it was his favourite ever film and probably in my top 10. Lovely
8.5/10
Oh, incidentally I was looking up the director afterwards and he also made Hunt for the Wilderpeople which is very excellent as well if you haven't seen it.
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Turntable wrote:Anyway, I had a surprise good film watch at the weekend.
I was having a 'boys night' with my son.
I proposed steak, booze and strippers and he rolled his eyes and tried to claim that being 11 prevents him wanting any of that.I told him that it was fine to be gay, and he could be whatever he wanted and we would love him just the same.
Anyway, he chose Yo Sushi and the Cinema. I don't love going to the cinema with him because I have low boredom thresholds for comic films or pokemon whatevers. And then he mentioned he really wanted to see something called
JoJo Rabbit which Id assumed was a cartoon or whatever about a Rabbit.

Anyway, I settled in and was met with quite a surprise. It was nothing like an animated Rabbit film. it was about a small German boy during the second world war who is an avid wannabe Nazi and Hitler Youth member who has Hitler as his imaginary friend. He also has parents in the resistance, unbeknownst to him, and discovers a Jew hiding in their attic.

That sounds fcuking shit right? Even worse than an animated rabbit film?
Except it is utterly brilliant. It has everything and your emotions swing wildly from sad, to traumatised, to happy, to sentimental, to laughing, and back to sad again. My son laughed loads and then the next moment was watching it with tears streaming down his face and not caring.
We both loved it. He said it was his favourite ever film and probably in my top 10. Lovely
8.5/10
Oh, incidentally I was looking up the director afterwards and he also made Hunt for the Wilderpeople which is very excellent as well if you haven't seen it.

I very much want to see this because of Hunt for the Wilderpoeple.
Deuteronomy

Post by Dirk @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:49 pm

I want to see it too. One of the reviews I saw said it sounded like a crap idea for a film, but it worked brilliantly
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Really nice film that’s impossible to describe without it sounding shit. So I won’t bother and just tell you to watch it.
thekungfury

Post by Bodhi @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Turntable wrote:Oh, incidentally I was looking up the director afterwards and he also made Hunt for the Wilderpeople which is very excellent as well if you haven't seen it.

And also Thor: Ragnorok. Which you said you hated.

What's my point, I hear you say.

My point is shut your stupid face.
Bodhi

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:49 pm

I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok. I want to watch JoJo Rabbit because of that.

Also Hunt For The Wilderpeople.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Bodhi wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Do we not think any films are ‘perfect’?

I do. I won’t be swayed.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Dirk @ Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:50 pm

Name one Dis. So we can judge. You.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club