Trailers for Exciting Things

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: Trailers for Exciting Things

Post by Strawman @ Thu May 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:No trailer, because I'm on my phone and can't do the links (unless this works: ), but has anyone heard about Hereditary?

It's supposed to be impossibly terrifying.

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6wWKNij_1M
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu May 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks sm.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri May 11, 2018 6:39 am

Well, now there's this of course:

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ3oX98ng8U

Which I've been really excited about the idea of, but that trailer is well underwhelming.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri May 11, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 am

Coincidentally I watched Predator 2 yesterday, it still stands up as a good film.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 6:44 am

I wasn't really aware of this film before today, but apparently there were mass walkouts when it just premiered at Cannes - over 100 people fleeing the scenes of mutilation and child-murder. Starring Matt Dillon (looking like Willem Dafoe, nowadays):

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA0pI_k-Dmo
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I wasn't really aware of this film before today, but apparently there were mass walkouts when it just premiered at Cannes - over 100 people fleeing the scenes of mutilation and child-murder. Starring Matt Dillon (looking like Willem Dafoe, nowadays):

Would you want to watch that, Damien?

It looks awful (in content, not quality of film) to me and I think it would haunt me for ages. I am sort of envious of the way you can enjoy films like this. You and Mark Kermode.
span

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 pm

span wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I wasn't really aware of this film before today, but apparently there were mass walkouts when it just premiered at Cannes - over 100 people fleeing the scenes of mutilation and child-murder. Starring Matt Dillon (looking like Willem Dafoe, nowadays):

Would you want to watch that, Damien?

It looks awful (in content, not quality of film) to me and I think it would haunt me for ages. I am sort of envious of the way you can enjoy films like this. You and Mark Kermode.

Agreed span - no wonder you can’t sleep datho! I’d be haunted forever by that.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 1:02 pm

span wrote:Would you want to watch that, Damien?

Hmm. Yes and no. I'm intrigued by things that do something different from the norm, but I don't like subjecting myself to unremitting grimness.

Ages ago (2009) there was a Japanese film released called Gurotesuku, which had the rare distinction of being banned in the UK. I watched it to see what it was all about and it's just endless bleak torture and dismemberment. I didn't like it, but not because it grossed me out or upset or offended me - more because it didn't do anything else except try to be gross or upsetting or offensive. And that made it dull.

Whereas I've avoided the equally infamous Serbian Film so far because it sounds though it might genuinely be upsetting.

This new film might be interesting as well as being shocking etc. And I'm open to watching it in spite of the awfuls, although I can't say I'm much bothered either way.

Remember, whatever is depicted it is a made up story. Showing certain acts more graphically than another film does doesn't make those acts any more unpalatable. Just harder to ignore.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue May 15, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Tue May 15, 2018 1:25 pm

That's interesting, thanks.

I've almost asked you before, and I hope it didn't come across as 'how can you...' watch these things, as if it's something I feel you should defend, because I don't think that in the slightest.

I watched that trailer because I was curious, and I often read the synopses of horror films on Wiki if they sound good but I know I won't see them. Sometimes, even the synopses are a bit too much, but everyone has their personal line. But the point is I'm definitely curious, but violence and horror are just A Bit Much for me.

(I almost fainted in a book shop when I read a page of American Psycho - that's exaggerating, but I felt all faint, and then physically quite sick for a couple of hours after, so perhaps am literally one of the faint-hearted that are often advised that certain things are 'not for them')

Anyway it seems like there's a whole genre that is closed off to me and it contains a lot of stuff that cinema aficionados are most excited by, and that's why I envy that you're better at separating something you can see on film from things that should actually upset you.

Out of (further) interest, is there any other type of film / TV / book that leaves you feeling disturbed, bleak or upset? And the news doesn't count.
span

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:

Hmm. Yes and no. I'm intrigued by things that do something different from the norm, but I don't like subjecting myself to unremitting grimness.

Ages ago (2009) there was a Japanese film released called Gurotesuku, which had the rare distinction of being banned in the UK. I watched it to see what it was all about and it's just endless bleak torture and dismemberment. I didn't like it, but not because it grossed me out or upset or offended me - more because it didn't do anything else except try to be gross or upsetting or offensive. And that made it dull.

Whereas I've avoided the equally infamous Serbian Film so far because it sounds though it might genuinely be upsetting.

This new film might be interesting as well as being shocking etc. And I'm open to watching it in spite of the awfuls, although I can't say I'm much bothered either way.

Remember, whatever is depicted it is a made up story. Showing certain acts more graphically than another film does doesn't make those acts any more unpalatable. Just harder to ignore.

That’s interesting datho.

I often wish I was better able to appreciate horror but for me, your last two sentences are the crux of it. Something happening offscreen and referred to in passing is much easier for me to stomach than that same thing being graphically depicted. Or maybe I do agree and it’s just the former doesn’t cause me to think about it too closely. Either way I suppose. I just can’t enjoy ‘proper’ disturbing horror at all and avoid it as I know it will make me unhappy. I’m quite envious of your ability to watch.

As a supplementary question, when would you let kids watch horror? Would you let BBFC ratings be the yardstick or would you apply more (or possibly less) strict standards? Genuinely no judgement intended or implied either way - just a genuine no-kids-of-my-own question...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm

I ended up in quite a muddle myself after reading American Psycho. I was a student and bashed through it in one whole night and then the next day. My flatmate came home to find me slumped on the sofa, littered with the debris of a packet of Mr Kipling cherry bakewells, and no use to man nor beast for ages after I finished it.

There's little in terms of fictional films that has phased me though. Obviously proper, emotional films will make me upset. But actual shock value doesn't so much.

There are two examples though that really have:

I watched Gerald's Game a few months ago and it was terrific. But that scene made me feel genuinely faint - you know when you get that pins and needles feeling inside your brain? - and I had to turn it off for a few minutes and take a breather.

I think that comes from plot and character though, as much as being a graphic representation of something horrible. I already felt uncomfortable at the idea of what was going to happen, and then seeing it happen made the idea inescapable.

The other example is in the film Pan's Labyrinth. It's a wonderful film and beloved by many, but I've only watched it once and won't again - because of the scene with the poacher and his son who steal a rabbit.

That upset me to my very core. It left me saddened and depressed and feeling bereft. It still does now, every time I remember the scene - and it's many years since I watched it.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Tue May 15, 2018 1:41 pm

I don't mind gruesome gore and violence per se. Man Bites Dog is one of my favourite films ever, but as DaTho said it has to have a point to it and whereas Man Bites Dog is a satirical and very thought provoking film which forces the viewer to examine their own complicity in the events of the film a lot of violent films are really just titillation for the sake of it.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Disastrous wrote:As a supplementary question, when would you let kids watch horror? Would you let BBFC ratings be the yardstick or would you apply more (or possibly less) strict standards? Genuinely no judgement intended or implied either way - just a genuine no-kids-of-my-own question...

I won't let my son watch Deadpool yet, even though he's desperate to and lots of his friends have. It's a 15, and he's 11.5, so unlucky for PK.

I will take him to see 12As though, or watch with him at home - but only accompanied so I can discuss anything concerning with him. I also try to check out the parent's guides for films beforehand.

I won't let him see horrors, yet. Even though he feels quite blasé about it, claiming that blood isn't scary. But that's because he hasn't seen any.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue May 15, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 2:02 pm

S1K wrote: Man Bites Dog is a satirical and very thought provoking film which forces the viewer to examine their own complicity in the events of the film

The recent version of Maniac starting Elijah Wood does the same. It's all filmed pov, which is spectacularly effective at forcing complicity in the viewer.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 pm

One scene that has stuck with me is Paul Bettany murdering his rival in Gangster number one where the POV is entirely that of the victim. Brutal, literally.
Käsemeister

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue May 15, 2018 3:41 pm

I can't watch horror at all, particularly scenes of torture. It's an all too graphic reminder of the awfulness that exists outside of our nice houses and comfortable lives.

A good example is in Reservoir Dogs where your man cuts the Policeman's ear off and enjoys doing so. Utterly awful and I cannot watch things like that. Same when cruelty to animals is depicted.

I just hate it.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:A good example is in Reservoir Dogs where your man cuts the Policeman's ear off and enjoys doing so. Utterly awful and I cannot watch things like that. Same when cruelty to animals is depicted.

I just hate it.

If you have literally not been able to watch that scene, then you may not know that famously in Reservoir Dogs even the camera turns away and can't watch.

It pans off and films the wall while you hear events take place.

But don't think I sit there impassive like some ass burgers Mr Spock, watching this stuff. I cringe and flinch and half-climb over the back of the sofa, but I won't not watch something because it's difficult.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Disastrous wrote:As a supplementary question, when would you let kids watch horror? Would you let BBFC ratings be the yardstick or would you apply more (or possibly less) strict standards? Genuinely no judgement intended or implied either way - just a genuine no-kids-of-my-own question...

I won't let my son watch Deadpool yet, even though he's desperate to and lots of his friends have. It's a 15, and he's 11.5, so unlucky for PK.

I will take him to see 12As though, or watch with him at home - but only accompanied so I can discuss anything concerning with him. I also try to check out the parent's guides for films beforehand.

I won't let him see horrors, yet. Even though he feels quite blasé about it, claiming that blood isn't scary. But that's because he hasn't seen any.

That raises an interesting question. I remember as a child that i used to be quite easily upset by things but things like Deadpool i could have watched no problem at all, where I remember being very upset by a cartoon where a nice swallow died in the winter. That sort of garish cartoon violence in Deadpool would barely register where a dog dying would have given me nightmares. Funny isn’t it, what bothers you?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 pm

If Deadpool was just the violence I might let him see it. He'd find it hilarious. But it's a combo of things in that film that mean he's out of luck.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Tue May 15, 2018 4:10 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:If Deadpool was just the violence I might let him see it. He'd find it hilarious. But it's a combo of things in that film that mean he's out of luck.

What are the other things? The bad language?
Bodhi

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue May 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:A good example is in Reservoir Dogs where your man cuts the Policeman's ear off and enjoys doing so. Utterly awful and I cannot watch things like that. Same when cruelty to animals is depicted.

I just hate it.

If you have literally not been able to watch that scene, then you may not know that famously in Reservoir Dogs even the camera turns away and can't watch.

It pans off and films the wall while you hear events take place.

But don't think I sit there impassive like some ass burgers Mr Spock, watching this stuff. I cringe and flinch and half-climb over the back of the sofa, but I won't not watch something because it's difficult.

I did not know that - I did indeed turn away and have never watched it again.
Deuteronomy

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Erm.........

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=146&v=-eks8LG72uo[/yt]

why tf won't that link work?
Last edited by dirtyboy on Mon May 21, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dirtyboy

Post by stuart @ Mon May 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eks8LG72uo

Fixed it for you
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 21, 2018 3:42 pm

I really really want to watch this and will explain why. Damo's and my tastes overlap a little but for different reasons seemingly.
I like watching things that make me feel something. Whether that is tension, fear, disgust, sadness,excitement,happiness or any other emotion.
The more I feel the more I buy into the film and the more I enjoy it or at least get something for it. 90% of films I watch and think "that was okay" and feel nothing and remember them for about 7 minutes.
A film like this (assuming it is good as opposed to purely gratuitous) will leave me feeling hollowed out and a bit fcuked but at least that is something. Maybe a thrill-type theme park ride is a good analogy.
Last edited by Turntable on Mon May 21, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 pm

That's also really interesting. It sounds like you're just further along a scale from me. I like to 'feel' something from a film, and I love a chilling horror, for example, but hate feeling actually petrified so I just read the plots online instead.

When it comes to bleak violence, it affects me too much and the net result is feeling really sad about the world for a bit. But that said, I still 'get' something from slightly sad / bleak things, so I can see how it's just a sliding scale that we're on.

Another question for TT and Damien. How do you think you are with the actual news, when troubling and upsetting things are reported? Presumably you can both see you're towards the resilient end of the scale when it comes to fiction, I'm just curious (nosy) how that compares with factual telly things.
span

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 21, 2018 5:00 pm

span wrote:Another question for TT and Damien. How do you think you are with the actual news, when troubling and upsetting things are reported? Presumably you can both see you're towards the resilient end of the scale when it comes to fiction, I'm just curious (nosy) how that compares with factual telly things.

I'm think I am actually more empathetic than most for real life news things as I actually make an effort to imagine them.
I don't feel good about myself at all if I see that a village of people has been massacred in South Sudan and I just think 'w'evs' which I think is human nature.
So in a weird way I try and imagine it so I can care more.
That sounds odd and I'm not explaining myself very well.
I think the underlying point, though, is that watching graphic violence or horror doesn't make me immune at all where news is concerned and actually does the exact opposite which is imagining the story behind the news article a lot more clearly
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 21, 2018 5:17 pm

span wrote:Another question for TT and Damien. How do you think you are with the actual news, when troubling and upsetting things are reported? Presumably you can both see you're towards the resilient end of the scale when it comes to fiction, I'm just curious (nosy) how that compares with factual telly things.

I can't watch real blood and gore at all. I won't watch hospital programmes, or things about operations. I literally turn away and rely on Mrs Thorn to tell me when it's stopped.

Similarly, I find a lot of the news very upsetting and tend not to watch it on tv, but listen to the radio news in the morning instead. Even then I find, like tt I suppose, that I can empathize will the people involved very strongly. It's happened as I've got older, and as other people (my family, obv!) feel more important to me than I do to myself - and that seems to have made me very susceptible to thinking about other people's feelings and experiences.

Dunno.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon May 21, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I find a lot of the news very upsetting and tend not to watch it on tv, but listen to the radio news in the morning instead.

Well that backfired. Listening to the radio this morning driving in to work, there was a lengthy tribute to all the people killed in the Manchester Arena bomb one year ago, which upset me to the extent of teary eyes.

And just as I was thinking about all the families involved, I saw a puff of what looked like brown smoke ahead. It took me a second to work out that it was dirt from the central reservation of the dual carriageway, and that someone must have put a wheel off the edge of the tarmac. Then suddenly right next to me a Focus on the oncoming side of the road smashed into the barrier with a huge impact. Massive loud bang, and bits of car debris showered across onto my side of the road.

Oof!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 am

I hate stuff like that. The insta-confusion of “what am I looking at here?” followed by adrenaline spike followed by sickness is horrid.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 am

It was horrible. Bafflement warping instantly into adrenaline, as you said. It looked like a really big impact as well, but then I suppose they all do.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club