What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:27 am

I've got a bit behind on HoHH but watched an episode last night. I am enjoying it more and more - the creepy stuff is properly unsettling (floaty man with stick) and I love how the tragic family stories are all tied into it. The terror they lived in as kids and how it's affected them as adults is so well done.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:29 am

Käsemeister wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:BBCish

Interesting. What was the link?

It had the feel of a BBC commission, at least in the first series.

ITV liked it, but didn't have enough money or gumption to do it. BBC WW/A stepped in and took over, hence why it was broadcast on the Beeb, but the downloads are flagged ITV.

:confused:

Broadchurch was on ITV.

wiki wrote:In autumn 2011,[7] Chibnall pitched Broadchurch to Laura Mackie,[9] the Head of Drama at ITV, who proved very enthusiastic about the proposal. Just a few days after she finished reading the scripts, she suggested Chibnall contact Kudos Film and Television, a production company.[7] Mackie then brought the show to ITV Director of Television Peter Fincham.[5] Broadchurch was green-lit by Fincham almost immediately[6] for airing in early 2013.[7]

Although ITV made a sizeable financial investment in Broadchurch,[16] additional funds were needed because of the cost of the large ensemble cast. Additional funds were sought from international partners, who would then win distribution rights in their territories. Before principal photography began, ZDF (German public-service television broadcaster) and BBC America (the American cable and satellite television network jointly owned by the BBC and AMC Networks) both provided additional funding
Last edited by thekungfury on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Turntable @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:34 am

Amazed that the head of Drama at ITV is only 9. Prodigy or what?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I've got a bit behind on HoHH but watched an episode last night. I am enjoying it more and more - the creepy stuff is properly unsettling (floaty man with stick) and I love how the tragic family stories are all tied into it. The terror they lived in as kids and how it's affected them as adults is so well done.

That's exactly what I liked about it. I found it emotionally engaging first, and creepy second.

Clown, the next episode is proper ace.

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Cleaning Up last night. So far so good and although a little far fetched, not outside the realms of possibility. I liked how exited they got over their initial investment and am looking forward to watching more.

I love new ITV Tokes. We watched this last night after your recommendation, and I really liked it but Mr Span was a bit sneery, said it was alright but it would have been better if the BBC had made it. "You're just like my internet friends!", I didn't say.

That said I can't remember ever watching much on ITV except IACGMOOH, and I used to love Downton Abbey before it got silly.
Last edited by span on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:02 am

Finished Fortitude III last night, to my amazement. As we started episode 3,the continuity announcer exclaimed it was the penultimate episode. WTactualF?! This series is only 4 episodes long!

I feel properly stitched up. Especially as the first two episodes established a real plethora of twisty plot threads to reconcile, as well as all the trailing ones from series 2. It felt like the last series (so far) of Game Of Thrones - everything suddenly throwing together at breakneck clip, leaving you underwhelmed because the conclusions that have been teased out for so long come flying at you without the resonance they deserve.

Still. I really liked what there was of it. Shame that Dan's arc went the way it did, but it seemed inevitable even as it felt shocking in the moment. Pretty much uniformly excellent performances, and another severed knob, just to remind you what programme you're watching. Good old Fortitude.

Things I will remember :

1) it's absolutely bananas
2) Dennis Quaid is in incredible shape for a man in his mid sixties
3) everything about Richard Dormer's performance. And Dan's beard. And Dan's hat.
4) a plot that absolutely does
what it wants
5) grue
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:
thekungfury wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:BBCish

Interesting. What was the link?

It had the feel of a BBC commission, at least in the first series.

ITV liked it, but didn't have enough money or gumption to do it. BBC WW/A stepped in and took over, hence why it was broadcast on the Beeb, but the downloads are flagged ITV.

:confused:

Broadchurch was on ITV.

wiki wrote:In autumn 2011,[7] Chibnall pitched Broadchurch to Laura Mackie,[9] the Head of Drama at ITV, who proved very enthusiastic about the proposal. Just a few days after she finished reading the scripts, she suggested Chibnall contact Kudos Film and Television, a production company.[7] Mackie then brought the show to ITV Director of Television Peter Fincham.[5] Broadchurch was green-lit by Fincham almost immediately[6] for airing in early 2013.[7]

Although ITV made a sizeable financial investment in Broadchurch,[16] additional funds were needed because of the cost of the large ensemble cast. Additional funds were sought from international partners, who would then win distribution rights in their territories. Before principal photography began, ZDF (German public-service television broadcaster) and BBC America (the American cable and satellite television network jointly owned by the BBC and AMC Networks) both provided additional funding

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/broadchurch/season-1

Zackly.
Käsemeister

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm

I watch TV here where it was on ITV. It's OK to be wrong about this btw.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm

He said it was BBCish, I took that to imply there were elements of both ITV and BBC involved in the production, which it seems there were, although with increasingly independent production companies involved the lines become blurred.
Strawman

Post by Käsemeister @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:00 pm

thekungfury wrote:I watch TV here where it was on ITV. It's OK to be wrong about this btw.

I’ve spent a lifetime being wrong, please let me be right. Ish.
Käsemeister

Post by S1K @ Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Finished Fortitude III last night, to my amazement. As we started episode 3,the continuity announcer exclaimed it was the penultimate episode. WTactualF?! This series is only 4 episodes long!

I feel properly stitched up. Especially as the first two episodes established a real plethora of twisty plot threads to reconcile, as well as all the trailing ones from series 2. It felt like the last series (so far) of Game Of Thrones - everything suddenly throwing together at breakneck clip, leaving you underwhelmed because the conclusions that have been teased out for so long come flying at you without the resonance they deserve.

Still. I really liked what there was of it. Shame that Dan's arc went the way it did, but it seemed inevitable even as it felt shocking in the moment. Pretty much uniformly excellent performances, and another severed knob, just to remind you what programme you're watching. Good old Fortitude.

Things I will remember :

1) it's absolutely bananas
2) Dennis Quaid is in incredible shape for a man in his mid sixties
3) everything about Richard Dormer's performance. And Dan's beard. And Dan's hat.
4) a plot that absolutely does
what it wants
5) grue

Was it really only four episodes? I've watched them too and I've been wondering where the rest of the series is. I even searched for it on the Sky box to see if I'd accidentally un-series-linked it.

What a fcuking swizz.

I did enjoy it though and your thoughts pretty much mirror mine. Dan's beard and hat almost look as if they've had extra texture added in CGI, like the monsters in Monsters Inc.
S1K

Post by Strawman @ Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 pm

Right I binged watched all two and a half seasons of Fortitude because season 3 is only on for another 11 days and I was worried it might disappear into the ether. I agree the 3rd season was truncated with several loose ends also why introduce the new characters if they weren't originally planning on doing more with them. I guess the viewing audience for penises being severed clean off isn't that numerous. The whole prehistoric wasp thing was interesting and plausible enough, but it seemed to gradually loose it's way.
Strawman

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Did anyone catch 'Raw Recruits: Squaddies at 16' on C5 last night?

One character is already exhibiting worryingly Private Pile-like tendencies. I do wonder if the very real prospect of quickly shipping out to a war zone has altered the profile of the average raw recruit these days.
ttwiggy

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:20 pm

In my never ending quest to consume all available rash TV, I have stumbled across The Runaways on Amazon Prime. It's superhero ish, though more of a mash up of Scooby Doo, Buffy and X Students Lite. I can't really decide whether it is any good, which I think means it is mediocre.
Greg66

Post by S1K @ Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm

The third series of True Detective started this week with two episodes on Sky Atlantic.

Series one was fantastic with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey in the boondocks of Louisiana then the second series was absolute dogshit. Hopefully this third outing will be a return to form.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:46 am

The first two episodes of Killing Eve last night, finally. After the BBC put the willies up me by taking a second serious already.

Loved it! So playful and so much fun. Actual laughs out loud in places, and two superb central performances.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:04 am

Damien Thorn wrote:The first two episodes of Killing Eve last night, finally. After the BBC put the willies up me by taking a second serious already.

Loved it! So playful and so much fun. Actual laughs out loud in places, and two superb central performances.

You are the best person.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by chinkypig @ Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:08 pm

I’ve recently dipped my toe into Silent Witness and after avoiding it for years actually found it quite compelling.

Recent trans episode btw, not sure if it has this consistency throughout its run but I’ll certainly watch it again when I get the chance.
chinkypig

Previous

Return to Nervy's Culture Club