What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 am

thekungfury wrote:“You” on NF seems OK so far

It’s a bit like a Dexter rom-com with inner monologues and the occasional gruesome scene.

This was good. Basically a stalker/killer falling for a girl. Reasonably well paced so it didn't feel like they were dragging out the series.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm

New telly season is upon us. The Walking Dead came back last night (didn't watch it), and Masterchef (didn't watch it). And Top Gear starts again this Sunday (still with Matt Leblanc, seemingly).

And we finally started s3 of The Good Place at the weekend and it's still ace.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:03 am

Eat my dust Congers

DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Strawman @ Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:41 am

Catastrophic.jpg
Catastrophic.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Strawman

Post by Turntable @ Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 am

Does anyone here watch Rake? (Netflix I think)
Ive just started season 4 and it is better than ever. I don't think I have ever met anyone else that's watched it but you all should. Lighthearted, funny and very Australian.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Orville (The Orville?) on Netflix. Who's seen this? Is it any good?

I assumed that as it is named after Keith Harris's duck and stars the bloke behind Family Guy and A Million Ways to Die in the West it is a piss take comedy in the style of Galaxy Quest.

Is it? Is it any good?
Greg66

Post by ttwiggy @ Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 pm

I've not seen enough of it to decide if it's good, but it does somehow manage to be a piss take of earlier era Star Trek while also being quite reverential of the source material.
ttwiggy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Eat my dust Congers

Ooooh I’m so jealous!!
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:And we finally started s3 of The Good Place at the weekend and it's still ace.

I noticed this on NF and vaguely remembered someone (turns out to be you) saying it was good. We devoured half a dozen episodes last night, guffawing.

I came here ready to angrily complain that nobody had told me about it only to find all the best people had been watching it and right here on this very thread had been telling me about it.
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:11 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
span wrote:e.t.a. almost forgot, our new fave is Russian Doll on Netflix - one of the women from OITNB is the star in a sort of groundhog day thing. We're only abotu four episodes in but it's entertaining and is developing quite interestingly.

I can't wait to watch this! I posted the trailer the other day and I think it looks really interesting.

I've just done four episodes in one sitting. This is brilliant! I love Natasha Lyonne anyway and she's just superb in this. The show looks like some kind of Argento-esque giallo, bathed in lurid nighttime colours and suspicious, askew angles of everyday things. The story is unfolding much more interestingly than I would have guessed and Nadia is a fantastic selfish cow, effing and jeffing her way through her (repeated) day like a whirlwind of cynicism.

Watch this.

Tried episode 1 last night and it left me cold annoyingly.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:16 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
span wrote:e.t.a. almost forgot, our new fave is Russian Doll on Netflix - one of the women from OITNB is the star in a sort of groundhog day thing. We're only abotu four episodes in but it's entertaining and is developing quite interestingly.

I can't wait to watch this! I posted the trailer the other day and I think it looks really interesting.

I've just done four episodes in one sitting. This is brilliant! I love Natasha Lyonne anyway and she's just superb in this. The show looks like some kind of Argento-esque giallo, bathed in lurid nighttime colours and suspicious, askew angles of everyday things. The story is unfolding much more interestingly than I would have guessed and Nadia is a fantastic selfish cow, effing and jeffing her way through her (repeated) day like a whirlwind of cynicism.

Watch this.

Same here. Was expecting great things and found her quite annoying, and didn’t get into it.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:49 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Watch this.

Same here. Was expecting great things and found her quite annoying, and didn’t get into it.

I've done the other four episodes in one go this morning to finish the series. I loved it.

I know she's annoying, she's awful. And she remains awful for almost the entire series, so if you don't like her awfulness then there's no point in you persisting - you'll just hate the rest. Someone else I know noped out of it the very moment Nadia spoke for the first time, he couldn't bear her that much.

Anyway, I enjoyed it tremendously much. It becomes bizarrely more confusing as it proceeds and you might expect explanations to be forthcoming, but still held my attention like glue as I was more and more intrigued. I loved Nadia and loved Alan. And loved Russian Doll. Although I really hope there's a second series, there doesn't need to be because it actually ends.

Fab.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Yes that's exactly how I felt about it, Damien.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:06 pm

It's one of the best things I've watched in ages. It feels like when I watched Big Little Lies - I think back to when we all watched shows at the same time, one episode a week, and all excitedly discussed twists and revelations - I want to have had that opportunity with this programme.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:57 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Watch this.

I watched episode 1 and while I liked the premise, just found it a bit meh and unengaging.

Left it a few days or so, and read a lot of positive reviews so wondered if I’d missed something. Went back and binged the remaining episodes and really enjoyed it, so maybe that first episode is just not the best introduction?
GingerNinja

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 am

DC Titans. About six eps into S1. Hmm. More engaging and less drawn-out than Marvel stuff, but still suffers from the problem that superheroes are only really interesting when they're doing super stuff.

Will I watch more? Maybe.
CJ+

Post by GingerNinja @ Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:45 pm

CJ+ wrote:DC Titans. About six eps into S1. Hmm. More engaging and less drawn-out than Marvel stuff, but still suffers from the problem that superheroes are only really interesting when they're doing super stuff.

Really? It’s teenage drama with swears. Appalling.
GingerNinja

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 am

GingerNinja wrote:
CJ+ wrote:DC Titans. About six eps into S1. Hmm. More engaging and less drawn-out than Marvel stuff, but still suffers from the problem that superheroes are only really interesting when they're doing super stuff.

Really? It’s teenage drama with swears. Appalling.

It's better than the dirge-fest that was JJ/LC/DD/IF!
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 pm

The umbrella academy, sort of watchmen crossed with league of gentlemen crossed with Fame (or something else sort of reaching with the last one). Intriguing and based on a comic book, on NF.
Strawman

Previous

Return to Nervy's Culture Club