What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:40 am

S1K wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
S1K wrote:Watched first episode The Capture BBC One. Anyone else?

I’ve recorded that, it looked interesting though the reviews weren’t great.

Thought okay. What think new form English save time effort?

Do you know, I never even noticed it till you pointed it out. My brain must have filled in the missing words.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:07 pm

CJ+ wrote:
Il Duce wrote:SomeCTF recommended Inside No.9 and so I bought and watched series one and it was excellent.
Thank you!

Probably me. You're welcome if so, fcuk off if not :)

All four series are on Netflix, if you have that.

No broadband so no netflix. I bought series 1 and 2 on dvd for £4. So cheaper probably. Plus I shall have a copy to watch when the internet breaks.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:47 am

A Confession - very much enjoying this. It's a dramatisation of a real-life case from 2011 where a woman called Sian O’Callaghan goes missing and Martin Freeman plays the policeman who is trying to find her. It's really nicely done, no graphic scenes of dead naked women on the mortuary table but very tense.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/jun/25/catching-a-serial-killer-stephen-fulcher-police

The Capture - I hadn't read great things about this but it was much better than the reviews suggest. It's got Holliday Grainger in (from Cormoran Strike) who I like a lot and the main army guy character is in prison for a killing while serving in Iraq while she's former counter-terrorism seconded to murder investigations. The end of the first episode was a genuine WTF moment.

As a side note, in the latter, I am sure I heard someone refer to the police department as 'Homicide'. I thought that was a US thing?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:02 am

Loving A Confession too cis. I’ve resisted googling the details of the case but so far, very interesting. Freeman makes a good CIDman.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:26 pm

IMPORTANT

Tomorrow sees the release on Unbelievable on Netflix. I haven't even seen a trailer, but I honestly think it could be properly landmark telly. I urge you to try it, as I will, and we'll check back later.

END
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Also, I finished Stranger Things 3, as I'm sure you all have too. Wasn't it terrific? After the absolute unequivocal character closure of the finale it seems incredible to think that they're already planning the next series, but they are and I can't wait.

Thoughts:

- The series insisted to me that moustaches are good. Insisted. I may yet concur.

- Performances from the now-not-so-young cast are again utterly phenomenal. The adults too, just great - especially the dynamic between Rider and Harbor.

- Sad!

- Loved the Robin character, in spite of qualms others expressed earlier in this thread. Another great performance, comedy leavened with real heart. Same goes for quarterback Steve. Swoon.

- Neverending Story has never sounded so wonderful.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:10 pm

I could not agree more, Damien, it was terrifically good.

I think you're quite right on the moustaches. I've also seen the occasional boy with Steve's great hair since and I'm all behind it.

Would you believe, sometimes Mr Span would try to 'Skip Intro'. I know right!!! One of the best intros there is.

• SO sad. The Billy flashback / death bit in particular. Oh Billy you were too beautiful for this world.

Other things I've enjoyed recently:

Mindhunter (second season, which led onto...)
Manhunt: Unabomber (...picks up with FBI profiling about 15 years later)
The Sinner (season 1 was brill; season 2 was pretty good)

And now we've just started Broadchurch, which I missed first time around.

Oh! And Stath Lets Flats which I've finally been able to watch. Mr Span hates it. I really liked the first two and loved the second two. I could still watch Jamie and Natasia Demetriou all day long and if you want to laugh your absolute head off, I recommend Adam Buxton's podcasts with Tash Demetriou as the guest, particularly the second although the first's great too.
span

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:28 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Also, I finished Stranger Things 3, as I'm sure you all have too. Wasn't it terrific? After the absolute unequivocal character closure of the finale it seems incredible to think that they're already planning the next series, but they are and I can't wait.

Thoughts:

- The series insisted to me that moustaches are good. Insisted. I may yet concur.

- Performances from the now-not-so-young cast are again utterly phenomenal. The adults too, just great - especially the dynamic between Rider and Harbor.

- Sad!

- Loved the Robin character, in spite of qualms others expressed earlier in this thread. Another great performance, comedy leavened with real heart. Same goes for quarterback Steve. Swoon.

- Neverending Story has never sounded so wonderful.

So much this.

span wrote:
    • SO sad. The Billy flashback / death bit in particular. Oh Billy you were too beautiful for this world.

That also.
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:it seems incredible to think that they're already planning the next series.

- Performances from the now-not-so-young cast are again utterly phenomenal.

I guess those two statements are linked. Nobody likes child stars that aren’t childs anymore.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by span @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:24 am

DI Burnside wrote:This Is Us

“A heartwarming and emotional story about a unique set of triplets, their struggles, and their wonderful parents.”

Sounds vomit inducing, but it’s not.

It’s spantastic !

After your tantalising review, Dibs, I've been wanting to watch this for ages. Then last night we realised our Amazon telly finally worked with our chromecast and I saw This Is Us was on there, watched two episodes and LOVED IT.

Half-relatedly, Mr Span said last night after a couple of episodes of the above 'Every night whatever we watch you just cry the whole way through it', which recently has been true and made me realise how sad / depressing / harrowing telly is these days!

Recent watches: Broadchurch first series (bit late to the party but it was great, and harrowing), Mindhunter (series two with what happens with Tench's son in particular), Handmaid's Tale (everything, every episode), then This Is Us. I can barely remember watching anything that didn't have children dying in it. I even watched a bit of the latest Fantastic Beasts film on Sunday, kids film, a baby dies. Wtf!

Anyway thanks Dibs because I wouldn't have otherwise tried it, and I'm loving it.
span

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:43 am

Il Duce wrote:
CJ+ wrote:
Il Duce wrote:SomeCTF recommended Inside No.9 and so I bought and watched series one and it was excellent.
Thank you!

Probably me. You're welcome if so, fcuk off if not :)

All four series are on Netflix, if you have that.

No broadband so no netflix. I bought series 1 and 2 on dvd for £4. So cheaper probably. Plus I shall have a copy to watch when the internet breaks.

First series was excellent.
Second series faded and the last 3 progs were poor.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:05 am

span wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:This Is Us

“A heartwarming and emotional story about a unique set of triplets, their struggles, and their wonderful parents.”

Sounds vomit inducing, but it’s not.

It’s spantastic !

After your tantalising review, Dibs, I've been wanting to watch this for ages. Then last night we realised our Amazon telly finally worked with our chromecast and I saw This Is Us was on there, watched two episodes and LOVED IT.

Half-relatedly, Mr Span said last night after a couple of episodes of the above 'Every night whatever we watch you just cry the whole way through it', which recently has been true and made me realise how sad / depressing / harrowing telly is these days!

Recent watches: Broadchurch first series (bit late to the party but it was great, and harrowing), Mindhunter (series two with what happens with Tench's son in particular), Handmaid's Tale (everything, every episode), then This Is Us. I can barely remember watching anything that didn't have children dying in it. I even watched a bit of the latest Fantastic Beasts film on Sunday, kids film, a baby dies. Wtf!

Anyway thanks Dibs because I wouldn't have otherwise tried it, and I'm loving it.

Knew you'd like it. Have you seen Easy on Netflix ?
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Joesnow @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:IMPORTANT

Tomorrow sees the release on Unbelievable on Netflix. I haven't even seen a trailer, but I honestly think it could be properly landmark telly. I urge you to try it, as I will, and we'll check back later.

END

Any update on this DT?
I'm on the hunt for a bit of escapism.
Joesnow

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Nothing to report thus far as I've been watching Celebrity MasterChef, Titans and Taskmaster - but I suspect Unbelievable won't be very escapist.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 pm

This series of Taskmaster utterly shits on the last one. I was worried they’d exhausted the format but they’ve redeemed themselves again.

It’s the people, of course, but even though I find Jo Brand to be desperately unfunny this has been great.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Agree. I'm really liking Rose Matafeo and Ed Gamble esp.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 am

I haven't watched this yet either, but wow.

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uWCNHQgfnc
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:17 am

Finished Temple earlier in the week:

UK version of the Norwegian show about a surgeon who is determined to save his dying wife to the point of agreeing to treat criminals and others for cash in his highly illegal secret underground clinic.

It's goooood.

Currently 3 Es into The I-Land:

When ten people wake up on a treacherous island with no memory of who they are and how they got there, they set off on a trek to try to get back home, only to discover the world is not as it seems.

It's ok so far but feels like it could go either way at any minute.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:39 am

Joesnow wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:IMPORTANT

END

Any update on this DT?
I'm on the hunt for a bit of escapism.

I watched two-and-a-bit episodes of this last night, which required staying up past bedtime. So far it's very good.

Definitely not a pleasant escape from real life, but the upsetting elements have been in the realism of the victims and their reactions, rather than anything more gratuitous or lurid. I feel gripped and look forward to watching another, but more to see the story of the women rather than the investigation.

I think tonight I'll watch an Unbelievable and then enjoy the warm hug of a This Is Us before bed.

Dibs we watched one episode of Easy (the first one with the women who's in ALL the programmes on Netflix, and her husband trying role play to spice up their love life) and neither of us were fussed to try another. Worth persevering?
span

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 am

Anyone watching The Boys?

Karl Urban is absolute shit in it, but beyond that im struggling to care much.

Feels very much like I’ve seen/read it a million times before. Super heroes, but real life ones, doing adult things like rapes and murders blah blah.

I keep thinking “I remember this from Watchmen” and it all leaves me a bit...weary.

Maybe I’m just too old for stuff like this.

It’s fine.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Read the threads ffs!

I watched it and liked it. It wasn't wonderful, but Urban definitely was.

And keep your eyes open for the new Watchmen TV series, it looks utterly a. Mazing.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm

Trudged through the first (and likely only) season of Another Life over the weekend and this week.

It's like Big Brother in space. Katee Sackhoff and Selma Blair are good, but everything else about it is wank. It's not fit to lick the soles of The Expanse's shoes.

ETA: it doesn't help that the science in this science-fiction thing is absolute bollocks. I mean I'm all for a bit of suspension of disbelief etc, but fcuk me, this is on a whole other level.
Last edited by CJ+ on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CJ+

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Read the threads ffs!

I watched it and liked it. It wasn't wonderful, but Urban definitely was.

And keep your eyes open for the new Watchmen TV series, it looks utterly a. Mazing.

I don’t have time for searching for things ffs!

I genuinely think Urban is the worst part of it by miles, which is a shame, because I like him. I honestly don’t think I can be bothered finishing it. I think I’m just bored with superheroes and by extension bored of clever takes on superheroes that I’ve also seen before. Meh.

I hate TV at the moment.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:27 pm

CJ+ wrote:Trudged through the first (and likely only) season of Another Life over the weekend and this week.

It's like Big Brother in space. Katee Sackhoff and Selma Blair are good, but everything else about it is wank. It's not fit to lick the soles of The Expanse's shoes.

ETA: it doesn't help that the science in this science-fiction thing is absolute bollocks. I mean I'm all for a bit of suspension of disbelief etc, but fcuk me, this is on a whole other level.

I got half way through that before deciding it was actually too bollocksy to persist with.

There are too many Netflix half baked ideas that have been spun into 13-part series with massive SFX budgets for my liking. And the two sentence descriptions of them are always dire. "She was the last soldier/medic/scientist/lawyer left standing at the end of the world/environmental apocalypse/alien invasion. Now the whole of humanity depends on her..." Yeah yeah yeah.
Greg66

Post by Dirk @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Disastrous wrote:I hate TV at the moment.

TV is about to get better. For up to 6 weeks (depending upon your loyalties and results) we have the RWC {hurrahs from off-stage}

Smashes everything else on the box.

This weekend alone we have matches including
NZ vs SA
Fr vs Arg
Ire vs Sco

All of which should be good. And we can all cheer on Fiji against Aus

And then
Eng vs Tonga which hopefully won't be as exciting because England score enough to kill it off as a contest early on
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Disastrous wrote:Anyone watching The Boys?

Karl Urban is absolute shit in it, but beyond that im struggling to care much.

Feels very much like I’ve seen/read it a million times before. Super heroes, but real life ones, doing adult things like rapes and murders blah blah.

I keep thinking “I remember this from Watchmen” and it all leaves me a bit...weary.

Maybe I’m just too old for stuff like this.

It’s fine.

Well just you wait as the Watchmen series is on the way...
Käsemeister

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:35 pm

OMGoodness!

S4 of The Good Place starts next Friday!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:02 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:OMGoodness!

Ooh brilliant!!! I do LOVE autumn don't you?
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:10 pm

span wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:OMGoodness!

Ooh brilliant!!! I do LOVE autumn don't you?

Definitely.

I'm even looking forward to the celebrity/champion X Factors that start next month.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by dirtyboy @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:50 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:A Confession - very much enjoying this. It's a dramatisation of a real-life case from 2011 where a woman called Sian O’Callaghan goes missing and Martin Freeman plays the policeman who is trying to find her. It's really nicely done, no graphic scenes of dead naked women on the mortuary table but very tense.

• https://www.theguardian.com/global/2017/jun/25/catching-a-serial-killer-stephen-fulcher-police

The Capture - I hadn't read great things about this but it was much better than the reviews suggest. It's got Holliday Grainger in (from Cormoran Strike) who I like a lot and the main army guy character is in prison for a killing while serving in Iraq while she's former counter-terrorism seconded to murder investigations. The end of the first episode was a genuine WTF moment.

As a side note, in the latter, I am sure I heard someone refer to the police department as 'Homicide'. I thought that was a US thing?

Wife and I have caught up on A Confession and The Capture, both are far more enjoyable than i'd expect, The Capture was a slow burner IMO but i'm really gripped now to see where on earth it all ends up, obviously i'll be disappointed in the end, but the journey there so far is good.

Confession is tough...when you know it really happened.
dirtyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club