What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 am

Plus of course I never learn so I'm trudging through X Factor again this year sigh.

Other than an inexplicable mellowing of Simon Cowbell it's the same as always, although I've managed to almost entirely successfully predict Judges' Houses survivors this year. Dunno about Louis's boys (Louis historically picks the exact opposites of the acts I think are best) because I fell asleep.

e: autocorrect. Again.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:38 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Who else was watching Liar? Did you love/hate the ending?

Hated. Along with Dr Foster, this was a really good series that just didn't seem to know where to take itself so just tagged on an instant kop-out ending.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 am

cba to look back in the thread.

Do I need to watch Mindhunters on Netflix?
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 am

Turntable wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Who else was watching Liar? Did you love/hate the ending?

Hated. Along with Dr Foster, this was a really good series that just didn't seem to know where to take itself so just tagged on an instant kop-out ending.

I also disliked the ending of Dr Foster. It ramped up hysterically before/during the finale and then kind of fizzled out. Disappoint.

I was a bit torn on the ending for Liar. I know what you mean about it being a cop-out.
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • It was like 'well, he's got away with being a rapist and we can't/won't do a trial so let's just kill him and turn it into whodunnit instead'.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Turntable wrote:

I also disliked the ending of Dr Foster. It ramped up hysterically before/during the finale and then kind of fizzled out. Disappoint.

I was a bit torn on the ending for Liar. I know what you mean about it being a cop-out.
    • It was like 'well, he's got away with being a rapist and we can't/won't do a trial so let's just kill him and turn it into whodunnit instead'.

The bit that bothered me more was the fact that he was meticulous and got away with everything but

• He just happened to keep all his incriminating evidence in a shed somewhere and she just happened to find it. fcuk. Off.
Last edited by Turntable on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am

CJ+ wrote:cba to look back in the thread.

I've watched the first 2 eps. Hasn't grabbed me at all, it's dull so far and the script is very clunky. Unlikely to bother with any more.
minimoog

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 am

minimoog wrote:

I've watched the first 2 eps. Hasn't grabbed me at all, it's dull so far and the script is very clunky. Unlikely to bother with any more.

I watched all 9 episodes.

It was alright.

I really liked the creepy serial killer they were interviewing throughout. Super creepy and his delivery of it was great.

The love interest stuff seemed tacked on, and when it was finished I wasn't disappointed.

It's not bad, it's not great.

It's just meh
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by minimoog @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 am

stuart wrote:I really liked the creepy serial killer they were interviewing throughout. Super creepy and his delivery of it was great.

Yes his acting is the best bit. He looks impressively like the real Ed Kemper too.

TBH I'm struggling to reconcile the wall-to-wall rave reviews with what I've seen so far.
minimoog

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:00 pm

minimoog wrote:
stuart wrote:I really liked the creepy serial killer they were interviewing throughout. Super creepy and his delivery of it was great.

Yes his acting is the best bit. He looks impressively like the real Ed Kemper too.

TBH I'm struggling to reconcile the wall-to-wall rave reviews with what I've seen so far.

I didnt' know he was based on a real person!

Reading his wiki page, horrible!

Although I learned this word, I think Rod will like it

Irrumatio
stuart

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:34 pm

thekungfury wrote:I watched Louis CK 2017. It’s an hour long Netflix special and I did a couple of actual laughs on a plane.

Very our humour. Abortion, penises, that kind of thing.

By far the least funny comedian I have ever seen. A one liner thrown in now and then is funny, a whole routine is incredibly tedious.

I stuck with it for 30 minutes hoping for a funny but there was nothing.
DI Burnside

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:37 pm

I quite liked it. It is a bit slow but interesting nonetheless. Also beautifully shot and well acted.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Apparently the new Patton Oswalt stand up on Netflix, Annihilation, is superb. I haven't watched it yet, but will.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Apparently the new Patton Oswalt stand up on Netflix, Annihilation, is superb. I haven't watched it yet, but will.

I didn't find much if it funny at all and I quite like Patton oswalt
stuart

Post by Turntable @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 am

stuart wrote:
minimoog wrote:

It was alright.

I really liked the creepy serial killer they were interviewing throughout. Super creepy and his delivery of it was great.

The love interest stuff seemed tacked on, and when it was finished I wasn't disappointed.

It's just meh

I watched the first one last night and it was the worst opening episode of anything I have ever seen ever.
Unbelievably boring. The tedium increased gradually throughout until my wife and I were looking at each other with a slightly bewildered expression as to how such a dull pile of shit could be created. At one point it was so bad we almost contemplated having sex instead.
This is the synopsis of the first episode:
Man is a teacher in the FBI.
Man does a lecture. Nobody really listens.
Man goes to someone elses boring lecture and you literally watch someone else watching a lecture.
Man talks to lecturer about boring stuff.
Man then goes to another lecture and you literally watch someone else watching a lecture.
Man tries to lecture more people. They don't really listen.
Man goes to another lecture.
The end.
How the giddy fcuk this ever past the pilot stage is so far beyond me and how any of you watched beyond that first episode I don't know.
Well actually I started watching the second. Something other than a lecture finally happened and he started talking to a serial killer. 'This is what it is all about' I thought to myself. And then he preceeded to have the most tedious non-descript conversation with this serial killer. And then it cut to him talking to his boring mate again in a car.
This is a programme which literally nothing happens in thus is based solely on dialogue. SO the one thing that needs to be really good are the actors and the dialogue.
Imagine you put the most boring people in that you know into a room and asked them to chat for an hour and then filmed it. That is a pretty good analogy to this big fat stinking pile of shit.
Hated this more than almost anything I have ever watched
0/10
Turntable

Post by minimoog @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:35 am

Turntable wrote:At one point it was so bad we almost contemplated having sex instead.

Laugh.

And yet you look at the ratings - 8.9 IMDB. 98% on Rotten Tomatos. Have the Russians hacked tv review sites now as well?
minimoog

Post by Turntable @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 am

minimoog wrote:
Turntable wrote:At one point it was so bad we almost contemplated having sex instead.

Laugh.

And yet you look at the ratings - 8.9 IMDB. 98% on Rotten Tomatos. Have the Russians hacked tv review sites now as well?

I know! They are all loving it at work and I just don't get it at all.
Turntable

Post by Dirk @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:43 am

And TT watched a 2nd episode.

WHy ffs?
Is having sex with your wife that bad?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 am

Turntable wrote:
stuart wrote:
minimoog wrote:

It was alright.

It's just meh

I watched the first one last night and it was the worst opening episode of anything I have ever seen ever.
Unbelievably boring. The tedium increased gradually throughout until my wife and I were looking at each other with a slightly bewildered expression as to how such a dull pile of shit could be created. At one point it was so bad we almost contemplated having sex instead.
This is the synopsis of the first episode:
Man is a teacher in the FBI.
Man does a lecture. Nobody really listens.
Man goes to someone elses boring lecture and you literally watch someone else watching a lecture.
Man talks to lecturer about boring stuff.
Man then goes to another lecture and you literally watch someone else watching a lecture.
Man tries to lecture more people. They don't really listen.
Man goes to another lecture.
The end.
How the giddy fcuk this ever past the pilot stage is so far beyond me and how any of you watched beyond that first episode I don't know.
Well actually I started watching the second. Something other than a lecture finally happened and he started talking to a serial killer. 'This is what it is all about' I thought to myself. And then he preceeded to have the most tedious non-descript conversation with this serial killer. And then it cut to him talking to his boring mate again in a car.
This is a programme which literally nothing happens in thus is based solely on dialogue. SO the one thing that needs to be really good are the actors and the dialogue.
Imagine you put the most boring people in that you know into a room and asked them to chat for an hour and then filmed it. That is a pretty good analogy to this big fat stinking pile of shit.
Hated this more than almost anything I have ever watched
0/10

So you didn’t like it then?
Doctor Congo

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 am

Dirk wrote:Is having sex with your wife that bad?

For her it is.
DI Burnside

Post by Andy T Archer @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Having only the benefit of peasant TV I usually just get to endure all the dross that passes for entertainment these days.

I did catch the Chris Packham thing which was really enjoyable. Watching him and his lisp on Springwatch always felt like playing a game of Flid or No Flid. Is he or isn't he?
Now he has put those suspicions to bed once and for all with this great bit of TV which shows what must be like to live with Asperger's.

He comes across as a really nice bloke too, despite being friends with Bill Oddie. And his wife owns the Isle of Wight Zoo. Or something.

A really fascinating watch and recommended by someone who`s recommendations count for very little.

Lots out of 10
Andy T Archer

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:09 pm

I downloaded that for Mrs Thorn to watch, as she's well into autism and stuff.

e: I don't think she has yet though.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:35 am

Does anyone here watch House Of Cards? If so you've only got one more series to enjoy then Netflix are canning it because Kevin Spacey is a sex pest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41812439
spast1kunt

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am

spast1kunt wrote:Does anyone here watch House Of Cards? If so you've only got one more series to enjoy then Netflix are canning it because Kevin Spacey is a sex pest.

TBH it has become less and less credible with each passing season. Perhaps because it has had to keep three steps ahead of the increasingly incredible real life situation in Washington.

What used to be engaging is now just silly.
Greg66

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:00 am

spast1kunt wrote:Does anyone here watch House Of Cards? If so you've only got one more series to enjoy then Netflix are canning it because Kevin Spacey is a sex pest.

Hmm...

While Netflix has said it will be the last, several reports have suggested that the producers had decided to end the series well before the allegation emerged.

That article seems to be trying to make a link that isn't there.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:27 pm

I have just started watching Peaky Blinders on Prime. For some reason, this passed me by completely when it first came out and I had it my head it was a sitcom. Only on ep 2 so far but quite liking it though it's shockingly cliched.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I have just started watching Peaky Blinders on Prime. For some reason, this passed me by completely when it first came out and I had it my head it was a sitcom. Only on ep 2 so far but quite liking it though it's shockingly cliched.

The title is what put me off. I just don't like the sound of the words.
spast1kunt

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

spast1kunt wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I have just started watching Peaky Blinders on Prime. For some reason, this passed me by completely when it first came out and I had it my head it was a sitcom. Only on ep 2 so far but quite liking it though it's shockingly cliched.

It's what Ripper Street would have been like if they had dumbed down the script-writing and added some irrelevant rock music (White Stripes come up quite a bit). It's not the most original thing I've ever seen but it's still enjoyable watching.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Turntable @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:54 pm

spast1kunt wrote:

It's what Ripper Street would have been like if they had dumbed down the script-writing and added some irrelevant rock music (White Stripes come up quite a bit). It's not the most original thing I've ever seen but it's still enjoyable watching.

Peaky Blinders is excellent. Stop putting it down for goodness sake.
Although for reasons I will never know, I suddenly stopped watching it halfway through Series 3 and I have no idea why,
Turntable

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 pm

Turntable wrote:
spast1kunt wrote:

Peaky Blinders is excellent. Stop putting it down for goodness sake.
Although for reasons I will never know, I suddenly stopped watching it halfway through Series 3 and I have no idea why,

I like Peaky Blinders! I was just pointing out that it has shortcomings.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:00 pm

I've never seen any of the Breaking Bad episodes.

I've just purchased the entire seasons boxset and watched the first 3 episodes of season 1.

They're good. See youse all later.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club